As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

+h

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited May 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
I was talking with a friend, and I mentioned casually sometimes I shake a little when trying to focus on small or intense tasks. My fingers start to shake and even my whole hand, and doing small tasks can be difficult.

For instance, my coworker cut her hand, and I got her a bandaid to put on her. I was noticeably shaking and she noticed, and mentioned it to me. This has happened more than once. I finally googled it and read that tremors could be a result of anxiety. I do get paranoid sometimes about money, job security, finding a mate, etc...

I could be overreacting so, do I sound anxious to you?

Local H Jay on

• UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    The only ones that can really tell you that you're having anxiety issues are yourself and hopefully your doctor. My own anxiety manifests differently, but that's not at all unusual. For me, I come darned near heart attack levels with what seem like meaningless things. A good friend who also has anxiety issues gets very nervous and active with his legs. For everyone, it can be completely different manifestations. I can say that if you feel that it may be affecting you in a negative manner, it may be time to consult a professional.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I also just read it might have to do with brain malformations having to do with strokes... and my mom has recently had a stroke...

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Talk to your doctor. It doesn't sound like a symptom of anxiety unless you're actually anxious about the tasks you're performing when you're experiencing the tremors, but of course anything's possible. Tremors can be caused by a lot of things from benign to serious, so I'd definitely talk to my doctor if I were you.

Doctor it is, then.

• UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Doctor is the #s 1 through 10 best options. The Worst thing that I did, and my doc's wanted to whup my ass was look up symptoms that I Thought I was having. I'd diagnosed (incorrectly) myself with all sorts of problems, simply because I'd read about them on the interwebs.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, the thing about tremors is that they can be a lot of different things. A lot of those are brain things, but not BRAIN things (like, anxiety or fatigue or caffeine or whatever). If there's something that's bugging you enough to worry about it, it won't hurt getting checked out by a doc.

Fake edit: and it turns out this exact thing was said 2 posts ago. Reading is hard, y'all.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I also just read it might have to do with brain malformations having to do with strokes... and my mom has recently had a stroke...

WebMD or anything similar is the easiest way to convince yourself you have some sort of terminal disease. You shouldn't use it for any sort of self diagnosis.

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Some people just can't hold their hands still. I can't take home videos because I jiggle the camera so much it makes people watching the tape nauseous. And I've been that way as long as I can remember.

Even if it's not 100% normal for you, chances are it's not serious. I shake for a bunch of different reasons, and none of them are all that life threatening.

that's comforting to hear. thanks for the responses!

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I talked to my Dr about a similar issue and she suggested that it was this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor

I do also have anxiety but I don't think the two are related.

TannerMS wrote: »
    I talked to my Dr about a similar issue and she suggested that it was this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor

I do also have anxiety but I don't think the two are related.

this sounds exactly like what I have. I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow, gonna mention this to him.