As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Breath Bonanza

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
Yikes, two of these threads in one day!

Anyway, I am SUPER paranoid about my breath. I'm also in a situation where I am now currently dealing with people face-to-face all the time. My teeth aren't the best, either, and I am making inroads to seeing the dentist, but a combination of 1) Finances and 2) Sheer terror, have made that road a little tougher to go down than I would like. My sister has said she thinks I may have halatosis possibly.

In the meantime, are there any sure-fire ways to ensure my breath isn't god-awful? A way to see how my breath smells on my own? Special gum, a cool kind of tooth paste? Braces that elicit a small peppermift waft every time I burp?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    To check your own breath, cup a hand in front of your mouth and exhale into it, then smell.

In addition to brushing your teeth thoroughly, make sure to floss regularly. If you've got bits of food stuck in there they will cause a lot of bad breath.

After all that, rinse out your mouth with water. Mouthwash just dries out your mouth.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Alternatively, rinse your mouth with a mix of water and baking soda. You can put some peppermint oil in there if you're missing the mint, but you don't need much of it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Brush your tongue. You wouldn't think bad breath could originate from there but it does. Tonsil stones can also cause bad breath so check back there with a flashlight from time to time (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith)

Otherwise, keep some Tic Tacs on hand. They won't last long but it's a quick fix

Rayze on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Brushing, flossing. Mouthwash. Then Drinking water so your mouth doesn't get dry.

Brush and floss after every meal, and maybe even snacks.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Oh, and I like ACT mouthwash and crest pro health the best. Everything feels the freshest with those.

Until you get your dental work done you are just doing damage control. Make that a priority

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    tongue brushing and flossing make a huuuge difference in breath. You could also bring a thing of floss and/or a mini if mouthwash to work to freshen up after lunch

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    routine dental cleaning, mouthwash every day for a month

solves everything

and yeah, floss and tongue brushing helps a lot too, especially if you're starting from Square 1

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rayze wrote: »
    Brush your tongue. You wouldn't think bad breath could originate from there but it does. Tonsil stones can also cause bad breath so check back there with a flashlight from time to time (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith)

Otherwise, keep some Tic Tacs on hand. They won't last long but it's a quick fix

Seconding the tonsil stone thing. Look into it, because even if you're brushing and flossing regularly these assholes will still make your breath absolutely horrible.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of them forever is to get your tonsils taken out, but if you don't have a horrible gag reflex like I do you can just reach back there (gently) with a q-tip and see if you can squeeze them out.

They really do smell like ass.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Floss
    Brush
    Use a tongue brush/scraper
    Use mouthwash (please read the instructions, it's unbelievable the amount of people that don't use it properly).

If you do these things after meals or 3 times a day you'll never have bad breath. It takes 3 minutes.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brush the whole inside of your mouth. Teeth, gums, tongue, roof, even give the inside of your cheeks a quick polish.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Vodka, all the time. Bonus: you get to drink a lot of vodka.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Lots of good advice in here. My contribution:

-Get a teeth cleaning, it's cheap enough you it makes a huge difference, especially if you haven't had one in a while.
    -Brush your tongue and roof of your mouth as well as your teeth.
    -Stay hydrated
    -Sugary foods and drinks make your breath bad very quickly, even with perfect teeth and 2x-a-day brushing.
    -Floss regularly, duh. I also use mouthwash after brushing.
    -Trident gum is a good route to go after a meal, but not necessary.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    If you have any dental insurance worth a shit, you should get at least a couple cleanings a year free of charge.

This will be of more immediate help than anything you can do at home, but you have to keep up your self maintained hygiene, or it's all for naught.

I used to have really fucking awful gums & breath, and one thing I somehow managed to go 30 years without knowing was that you brush at an angle, and not just flat against the sides of your teeth, otherwise you're not clearing out all the shit that gets trapped along your gumline. This made a huuuuuge difference to me. Yeah, small thing but, fuck, I never knew.

bass-technique.jpg

Cog on
  • Options
    alltheolivealltheolive Registered User regular
    If you find that you neglect flossing, despite good intentions, two things:

1) Buy like 10 things of floss (different kinds if you don't know what kind you like; there is precisely one variety that I can stand) and put them everywhere- desk at work, backpack, bedside table, etc, so when you remember you don't put it off.

2) Floss and then smell the floss. I find that if I floss regularly, it smells like floss; if I don't, it smells of horrors. That's motivational.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    After all that, rinse out your mouth with water. Mouthwash just dries out your mouth.

That only applies to mouthwash with alcohol. Get the non alcohol kind. It is a good addition.

• Options
    I like the ribbon floss. Glide pro health is my favorite.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The first time I ever used non-alcoholic mouthwash was when I was in basic training. I hadn't had a teeth cleaning for a decade and the mouthwash stained my teeth something fierce. So beware, it could happen to you if you have plaque buildup.

And I second the Glide ribbon floss, it's spendy but worth it.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    And I second the Glide ribbon floss, it's spendy but worth it.

I can't use anything else, it gets stuck in my teeth.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I don't know if you drink coffee or not, but maybe cut back a bit (or a bunch) if you expect a lot of face to face time. Coffee is the #2 bad breath maker right behind chewing tobacco/snuff IMO.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA