As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    This show has its claws in my something fierce.

And the fact that they ended the pilot with a song by The Black Angels has ensured my loyalty from now until eternity.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I'm still not really sure what the hell's going on, but I like it more and more.

Incredible atmosphere, really well-drawn characters.

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Started watching this show tonight. Only watched the first episode so far, but really digging it. Super <3 you guys for introducing it to me. Really surprised at what a good cast it has for a TV show (even though it's not going to be some kinda of 12 season show). I like how the first episode kinda sets you up too with a real good 'whodunit' scenario.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I keep thinking how crazy it would be if this show went full Cthulhu.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I keep thinking how crazy it would be if this show went full Cthulhu.

I definitely did a double take when they mentioned the King in Yellow and the notebook even had "In Carcosa" scribbled in it.

It would fit pretty well with the general atmosphere, I guess? And with the themes of religion, stagnant rural inbredness, creeping insanity and existential angst.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I doubt it'll ever go full supernatural. The hallucinations of McConahey's character will probably be the vehicle for any overtly lovecraftian imagery.

Think how Crane saw the demon Batman when exposed to his own fear toxin in Batman Begins.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    I'm happy with a completely grounded story.

It's just if this show suddenly went full fledged mythos, I would still be invested.

edited January 2014
    Also something I didn't notice until someone pointed it out:
    Future Hart isn't wearing his wedding band.

Invisible on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife noticed the lack of wedding band first, but I thought it was pretty obvious his marriage was headed for the drain just from the first 2 episodes.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm happy with a completely grounded story.

It's just if this show suddenly went full fledged mythos, I would still be invested.

If there was a show like this, with a very slow and subtle buildup into Mythos, I'd pop all the boners.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    theyre not necessarily referring to lovecraft per se - the king in yellow and carcosa both come from earlier sources (ambrose bierce and robert chambers), and lovecraft picked them up cos he lieked dem

obF2Wuw.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Anyone here ever read the King in Yellow?

Book is fucking creepy as shit. Right up there in creep factor with anything Lovecraft.

theyre not necessarily referring to lovecraft per se - the king in yellow and carcosa both come from earlier sources (ambrose bierce and robert chambers), and lovecraft picked them up cos he lieked dem

I feel like he appropriated them pretty thoroughly though. If they are references, I'd put my (figurative) money on Lovecraft references.

Which of course doesn't necessarily mean the show would be all supernatural and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of cult/sect though.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    The writer of the series did a short interview with Arkham Digest where he talks a bit about incorporating Lovecraftian-madness and other influences into the series.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    MrAnthropy wrote: »
    The writer of the series did a short interview with Arkham Digest where he talks a bit about incorporating Lovecraftian-madness and other influences into the series.

danke schon for dis swag ass lynx

obF2Wuw.png
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

Honestly, given the genre of the series I would expect Chandler's short story to be the primary call-out being done with the King in Yellow references that have been made so far...

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I just watched the season premiere of The Following and then True Detective episode 2.

Now I need a neckbrace to recover from the mood and quality whiplash.

Why would you do this to yourself? I... I thought you were better than that...

Because The Following managed to transcend its mediocre beginnings to become, against all odds, hilariously bad. At this point I'm convinced that Kevin Williamson got possessed by the ghost of Ed Wood. The Following is just so earnestly bad and stupid and I know I should hate it but it's the unintentional comedy hit of the season.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    As of episode 2, Woody Harrelson is one lucky, lucky bastard.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    He is at the start of Ep2

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    hes not. he wears 2 rings in 1995 and then future hart only as the fancy ring on, not the wedding ring.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    hes not. he wears 2 rings in 1995 and then future hart only as the fancy ring on, not the wedding ring.

Good catch.

I stand corrected.

Damn, that closing monologue for episode 3. And now there's a 2 week break because I guess they didn't want to air the new ep on Saturday this weekend to dodge the Super Bowl. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fuck. I forgot about the Super Bowl fucking up good TV.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    This fucking show.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    So uh
    who wants to take bets on the serial killer actually being that one tall reverend from the pilot episode? The one who towers over the two leads in his brief appearance in the police station.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Whoa. Just. Whoa.

steam_sig.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Amazing monologue, even more amazing last 3 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGoX1B6_2k

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Fuck. That ending shot. So odd. So haunting. I don't even. It's. . .yeah dreamlike.

steam_sig.png
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    This show is terrifying and goddammit I love it.

Also if this show turned into stealth Lovecraft show I would lose my fucking mind.

Hacksaw wrote: »
    So uh
    who wants to take bets on the serial killer actually being that one tall reverend from the pilot episode? The one who towers over the two leads in his brief appearance in the police station.
    You mean Reverend Tuttle, the guy heading the effort to have a unit that investigates anti-christian crimes? I'm confident he'll be involved, but I don't think it's going to be a one man thing. I think it's going to be a culty situation.

Regarding the last shot of episode 3, it's super obvious but if you're like me and missed it the first time from being so rapt at the creepiness of the gas mask guy, there's one of those little stick dealios from the murder scene in the foreground of the shot to the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXRkqXfhYM

I can't express how much I like the intro. It's just so... haunting.

And yeah, honestly I can't wait for this to come out on blu ray so I can catch all the stuff I undoubtedly missed on first viewing (like the stick dealios). I'm sure there will be even more things that are obvious in retrospect after the ending.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Like, okay, I get why he's...
    ...wearing a gas mask and in his underwear. I've watched me some Breaking Bad. But why the ever-loving FUCK does he have a machete?!

Also, I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure who's crazier, him or Rust. But I think I just want Rust to be crazy. Because if he's sane...

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I love how at the end of Ep 3...
    They show the guy in a crazy gas mask and only his underwear and they talk about "monsters", trying to make it look like there's some really fucked up shit going on, because holy crap that guy is wearing a crazy gas mask and underwear...

Unless you've watched Breaking Bad. In that case it's more like "Oh. The gas mask, because meth fumes, and the underwear because just like Walter White he doesn't want his clothes to reek of meth.

I'd also like to go on record that...
    I was the first person in this thread to finger Reverend Tuttle as the likely killer. And he just so happens to have at least a loose connection with like, two or three of the threads they followed in the third episode.

Comradebot wrote: »
    I love how at the end of Ep 3...
    They show the guy in a crazy gas mask and only his underwear and they talk about "monsters", trying to make it look like there's some really fucked up shit going on, because holy crap that guy is wearing a crazy gas mask and underwear...

Unless you've watched Breaking Bad. In that case it's more like "Oh. The gas mask, because meth fumes, and the underwear because just like Walter White he doesn't want his clothes to reek of meth.
    MACHETE

I hope that the show's bizarre narrative subversions mean that it will avoid the obvious gimmick of
    the concerned christian clergyman is the real monster
    twist.

Id just find it meh.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I would hope in general that it avoids the two most obvious "twists"
    The concerned clergyman who devised the "anti-christian crime task force" and Rust himself

either of those would be really boring

Pony wrote: »
    I would hope in general that it avoids the two most obvious "twists"
    The concerned clergyman who devised the "anti-christian crime task force" and Rust himself

either of those would be really boring

I'd prepare yourself for the former, because while it is subverting some of the norms, that really looks like where it's heading. And honestly, I wonder what portion of viewers have even noticed it yet.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    as long as it avoids one really specific "twist"
    Rust wasn't the original killer, but became the new killer because after doing this so long the darkness of it consumed him and blah blah blah IT'S BEEN DONE and i don't want to see a show this good go down a road that stupid. "The profiler becomes the killer/was a killer all along" is so fucking tiresome and speaks to some kind of underlying anti-intellectual distrust of someone who has that sort of capacity. "Only a person capable of thinking like that could figure something like that out, erego..." etc. and it's just... it's boring.