As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] Day 10 - Good guy victory

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Game rules:
Artefact exchanges:
  • The artefacts are distributed randomly at the beginning of the game. Some players might get both good and evil artefacts.
  • Players can own several artefacts, both evil and good.
  • A player can only use one good artefact each night (unless he has an artefact that says differently).
  • Any player can give or trade his artefact, both evil and good, to anyone else as he pleases, provided the second player agrees. Players can refuse to trade or to be given artefacts.
  • When a person is staked, his good artefacts are distributed randomly and secretly among villagers, both good and evil.
  • When a person is killed by someone, his good artefacts are given to his killer.
  • When a character with an evil artefact is killed in any way, the evil artefact is destroyed.
How to give/trade artefacts:
  • Each player PMs Richy and Shinto, saying (1) who he is trading with/giving to/ receiving from; (2) which artefact, if any, he is giving; (3) which artefact, if any, he is expecting to get in return.
  • If the trade is valid (i.e. both players send matching PMs), a GM sends confirmation PMs.
The artefacts:
The good:
  • The Eye of Ra: This artefact allows its owner to see which artefacts other players hold. Send your target to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Scythe of Death: This artefact allows its owner to kill one person per night. You get all the good artefacts that person owned, but the evil artefacts are destroyed. Send your target to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Shield of Ajax: This artefact allows its owner to protect someone (or himself) from death. Send your target to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Hammer of Thor: This artefact was broken up in three pieces. Once reunited and held by one person, it can mimic any good artefact, one per night.
  • The Feather of the Phoenix: This artefact can bring a dead person back to life. The person holding it can choose someone to bring back to life, or alternatively, if the person holding it is killed, he instantly comes back to life (but he loses his other artefacts). It can only be used once during the game. If you use it to ressurect someone, send your target to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Arrows of Robin Hood: There are three arrows. Each one gives its owner the ability to steal from other people. They get all the artefacts, good and evil, owned by their victims. Send your target to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Badge of the Watch: This artefact protects its owner from being stolen from.
  • The Staff of Merlin: This is a powerful magical artefact, which allows its owner to use two good artefacts per night instead of just one. The owner can only use artefacts that he owns.
  • The Board of Ouija: This artefact allows its owner to PM questions to dead players. The players must answer, though they can lie if they want. All other communications by dead players is forbidden. Send your questions to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day, who will forward them to the dead person and send you the response.
The evil:
  • The Wings of the Tengu: A set of three ancient Japanese artefacts. Their owners are controlled by Tengu demons, and forced to kill one person each night. They know who the owners of the other two artefacts are. A member of the team has to send the target to kill to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
  • The Marks of the Beast: A set of three modern Christian artefacts. Their owners are compelled by Satan, and forced to kill one person each night. They know who the owners of the other two artefacts are. A member of the team has to send the target to kill to Shinto and Richy before the end of the day.
Switching from Good to Evil and back again:
  • If a thief steals from an evil character, he gets the evil artefacts and becomes one of the evil characters. However, the person he stole from is now free of the evil artefact’s power, and becomes a normal villager again… and knows the identity of his two evil former-allies! He now has to take a decision: to turn on them and reveal their identity to the other villagers, or to ally with them and keep their identity secret from the others. And the evils have to decide whether they trust their former ally or not.
  • If someone is about to be staked, he can choose to give his artefacts to someone else. That includes evil artefacts. But to do this, the person has to contact someone else, confirm that they are an evil character, and convince them to take their place! Alternatively, the staking victim can give his artefact to one of his evil allies, and they’ll hold on to it until they find someone else to give it to.
The order each night:
To avoid conflicts, this is the order in which things take place. The Hammer of Thor is played at the same time as the artefact it is imitating.
  • Artefact trades for the day take place as soon as a narrator is available, or before the narration.
  • The Staff of Merlin is always on.
  • The Shield of Ajax is always on.
  • The Badge of the Watch is always on.
  • The staking takes place.
  • The Tengu kill someone.
  • The Beasts kill someone.
  • The Scythe of Death kills someone.
  • The Arrows of Robin Hood target people.
  • The Feather of the Phoenix brings someone back to life.
  • The Eye of Ra sees something.
  • The Board of Ouija contacts someone.

Who’s playing:
1. Aldo
2. Saburbia
3. iamtheaznman
4. Elendil
5. suilimeA
6. Zot
7. FunkyWaltDogg
8. Thorgot
9. TehSpectre
10. Frosteey
11. chamberlain
12. DevoutlyApathetic
13. PsychoCucumber
14. NATIK
15. Oboro
16. AngelHedgie
17. durax
18. Fluffy, Our Beloved Flopsy Bunny Friend
19. Fembot
20. Nerissa
21. B:L
22. FreeAgent
23. MrBallbaggins
24. gundam470
25. Variable
26. Romantic Undead
27. Bliss 101
28. KupotheAvenger
29. Green
30. cj iwakura
31. Raakam
32. Quid
33. Savant
34. Hylianbunny
35. Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
36. Lord Cecil Eaglelaser
37. Oatway
38. Cheez
39. IShallRiseAgain
40. Zzulu

Reserves:
1. Unearthly Stew

Rule clarifications and Q&A (updated Sept. 16)
If someone is about to be staked, he can choose to give his artefacts to someone else. That includes evil artefacts. But to do this, the person has to contact someone else, confirm that they are an evil character, and convince them to take their place! Alternatively, the staking victim can give his artefact to one of his evil allies, and they’ll hold on to it until they find someone else to give it to.
This just means "confirm that they actually want an evil artefact", right?

Well the guy giving away his evil artefact does have to confirm that the other guy wants it. But what I meant there is, the guy who's about to be stake has to contact someone else to convince them to take the evil artefact, which implies he has to tell the person he contacts that he does in fact have an evil artefact.
Saburbia wrote: »
So from the sounds of it, are the item trades instant, as in they don't take place during narration?

Item trades take place as soon as either Shinto or I check our PMs and see them. They don't wait until the narration.

Wow, people are signing up quickly... I sure hope my artefact dynamics hold up to the hype...
Nerissa wrote: »
Just a couple of questions on the bad guys...

First, the way it's written, it's not clear whether each type of bad guy gets one kill as a group or each bad guy gets a kill... with this size game, I'm assuming it's a per-group thing?

Second, is there anything preventing one person from holding both types of evil artifacts, or at least from starting the game with both types?
Yeah, it's one kill per bad guy group, not per individual bad guy.

There's nothing preventing one person from holding both types of evil artefacts, just like there's nothing preventing someone from holding several good artefacts, or both good and evil artefacts.

At the start of the game, the evil artefacts will be distributed randomly among all players. Then the good artefacts will be distributed randomly among all players, including those who already have evil artefacts. So someone might begin with one good, one evil, or both one good and one evil artefact.
I'm guessing (hoping) that each set of artifacts (i.e. good or evil) are on a no-more-than-one-per-person distribution at the start. So the most a given person could start out with is two (one good, one evil).
Indeed, the most a player can have at the start is one good artefact and one evil artefact.
Does the shield protect from execution, or just individual kills (bad guys / scythe / etc.) ?
The shield only protects from bad guy kill and scythe kill, not from the execution vote.
Um, silly question, but here goes:

If you have an evil artifact and have it stolen or trade it away for fear of staking, you become a normal villager. Assuming you survive the day and remain an innocent, if you choose to remain allied to the evils, do you technically "win" if the bad guys win? Does it really matter?
Hum, I hadn't thought about it. But I guess that yeah, if you choose to remain secretly allied with the bad guys, then you win if the bad guys win. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to ally yourself with them.
The badguys would be required to verify that said person is still allied with them, correct? They should PM the game master in that case so that someone has a record of the "bad guy" team, don't you think?
Right, they should PM Shinto and I to say that they are allied with a team of bad guys.

And the two teams of bad guys are opposed to each other.

The victory conditions are thus as such:
1) Villagers: Find all six evil artefacts.
2) Each team of bad guys (including artefact-holders and their allies): Be the only surviving team.
Ardor wrote: »
Out of curiosity, as an observer, it states that the village must find the 6 evil artefacts. However, if I were to start with one, I could convince someone else to take my spot as a bad guy or if I was a thief, I'd become a bad guy by stealing the item.

Combined with your note above, people who have had an evil artefact at one time but lost it or traded it can still be considered thralls, what's to stop the bad guy team from simply recruiting a bunch of thralls throughout the game?
Well, to recruit someone you have to contact them and tell them "hey, I'm a bad guy, wanna join?". Which can be pretty dangerous. One of the main advantages the bad guys have is that they are hidden. They'll lose that by PMing people for recruiting.
Bliss 101 wrote: »
If you possess evil artifacts of both types, can you win with either faction, or will you have to get rid of one because your win conditions are mutually exclusive? Also, do you get two kills?

Can an evil faction player, who expects to be staked, give his item to his teammates so they can try to trade it to someone later?
You can only win with one type of evil artefact. So if you have two different evil artefacts near the end of the game, you'll have to find a way to get rid of one of them.

And there's one kill per evil team. If you have both kinds of evil artefacts, you get a say in both kill decisions. If you have the only remaining evil artefacts of both kinds, then you get two kills.
Nerissa wrote:
if the Eye of Ra (or Ouija Board) gets stolen, will there be no vision/contact, or will the thief get the vision/response that the previous holder requested?
The thief gets the previously-requested vision.
Nerissa wrote:
A former bad guy who is still allied with the bad guys = Thrall -- they will show up as "good" (not holding any evil artifacts) even though they are working against the good guys.
That's right.
Nerissa wrote:
what happens if two or three holders of Arrows of Robin Hood target the same person?
The first one to steal (i.e. the first one to send me the PM) gets the victim's artefacts, the others get nothing.
durax wrote: »
What happens to the hammer when it imitates the pheonix feather?

Is it destroyed? Or does it survive to imitate the feather again?
The Hammer of Thor can only imitate the Feather once in the game.
B:L wrote: »
If an artifact holder happens to have the Staff of Merlin, which allows two good artefacts to be used, and the Hammer of Thor...

May the user activate the Staff of Merlin to use the Hammer of Thor to imitate the Staff of Merlin, which allows him to use two good artefacts, and use the other charge of the Staff of Merlin to use yet another good artefact, thus allowing the use of five good artefacts a turn, including the Staff of Merlin and the Hammer of Thor?

I merely ask out of curiosity.
I guess so, yeah...
You have 3 original members of one bad guy faction, let's call them (A), (B), and (C). For the sake of argument, let's assume that none of them trade away their artifacts, and we haven't got any thralls to deal with just yet.

A thief (D) steals from one of them (A).

Now, the way I understand it, (A) has the choice of whether to become a thrall, or join the good guys.

What I would like to know is, do (B) and (C) automatically get (D)'s name? Does (D) automatically get theirs? There would have to be some mechanism in place for them to get together, right? If they need proof, they can always trade evil artifacts or something, but they almost have to have some hint as to who to be talking to, right?

Members of bad-guy teams always know who their teammates are. So when (D) gets his artefact, he automatically learns who (B) and (C) are, and (B) and (C) automatically learn who he is.
Players need to state they're going Thrall to Shinto and Richy, otherwise its just someone trying to pull a win out of nothing. The thralls have to be confirmed by the GMs.
Yes.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Days end at 10pm Eastern Time

Nights:
Night 0: The journal of Indiphalla Jones
Night 1: The nomadic travellers fall under suspicion
Night 2: The mob reaches a compromise
Night 3: The evil Nazi archaeologist
Night 4: Two for one!
Night 5: The end of the Beast
Night 6: No narration
Night 7: The conspiracy
Night 8: Random kill
Night 9: The Children of Grarr
Night 10: The Last Deaths

sig.gif
Richy on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Extract from the journals of Indiphalla Jones, archaeologist/adventurer/collector/mild-mannered professor

September 3th, 1937
    Got up. Dug around in the Egyptian desert. Had lunch. Dug some more. Camel spat in my eye. Dinner. Digging. Went to bed.

September 4th, 1937
    Got up. Dug around in the Egyptian desert. Had lunch. Dug some more. Camel spat in my eye. Dinner. Digging. Went to bed.

September 5th, 1937

September 6th, 1937
    Got up. Dug around in the Egyptian desert. Had lunch. Dug some more. Camel spat in my eye. Shot camel. Dinner. Digging. Went to bed.

September 7th, 1937
    I can’t believe it! I finally found something! Looks like the roof of an important building, possibly a temple. We’re digging it out, we’ll probably be able to go in tomorrow.

September 8th, 1937
    I just came out of my first trip inside the temple. It’s amazing! The writing on the walls seems to indicate this was a temple for the deity Min, with little backstory and an instruction to check what the Ancient Egyptians called “Wikipedia”. There’s a large bronze door blocking a passage-way. The writing on it says the long, straight passage leads to Min’s two large, round treasure rooms, which contain artefacts he collected from all over the world. When I tried to open it, an old man warned me that beyond laid danger and death. When I turned around again, he was gone. It probably doesn’t mean anything.

September 11th, 1937
    I’ve opened the bronze doors, and crossed the passage. There were traps at every step: arrows shooting from the walls, falling ceilings, large round boulders that followed me around, snake pits, and so on. Pretty standard stuff, really. These people lacked imagination.

Beyond the passage were the two treasure rooms described on the door. They had been left undisturbed until I got there. One room contained nine artefacts, the other two sets of three artefacts. I wanted to take them by replacing them with bags full of sand, but I realised I left my bags full of sand in my other jacket. I’ll be back.

September 12th, 1937
    I went back to the treasure rooms, and all the artefacts were gone!

I ran out of the temple, and tried to go to the nearby city to get help, but a strange power field blocked me. It seems we’re all trapped around the temple. So the good news is, the artefacts are still around here somewhere.

September 13th, 1937
    I translated some more of the writing on the walls, and it seems that the power field was created by Min to prevent the two sets of six artefacts from escaping the vicinity of the temple. It seems that these artefacts are evil and would unleash a bloodbath on Earth should they escape. The other nine artefacts were guardian artefacts used to capture them.

So it seems our path is clear. We must find the evil artefacts and kill the thieves. At least, that’s what I wanted to do. I kinda messed up when I explained it in Arabic, and said we should kill the thieves and then find the artefacts. I didn’t want to look stupid by admitting my mistake, so it looks like we’ll be killing people randomly every night and hoping to find artefacts on them. It’ll be dangerous, and innocent deaths are unavoidable.

An old man said “I told you so, sucker!”. When I turned around again, he was gone.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay! Let's get our Phalla on!

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is going to be fun.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the most fun.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    everything we post is scrutinized

it is hard to find safe territory for even the most irrelevant of posts :(

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am scrutinizing so hard right now.

Fembot on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoorah!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    What's this about scrotoms.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Phalla starts as I die elsewhere! Nice.

I'm tempted as hell to vote for Fluffy just so he doesn't post in this thread and make it look all weird with his huge name.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    !vote DA Grudgevote for the Greatwood phalla

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm......can't really say much about that.

Cue Cheez in 3, 2, 1....

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A grudge against you? Haha, hardly.

You just don't get to be my right-hand manbot anymore.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ah, after I went and made you all Crafty and Hard To Read?

Then got you bandwagoned. Geez, what do I have to do to get some attention?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, there's mountains of Craftiness and chasms of Hard to Read... ness... yet to come.

Just you wait.

cheez on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DA, I am sad I wasn't able to contribute to your death last game.

=(

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hunt down and kill Deus for me, that'll make it all better.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I totally didn't get any artifacts...

...yup...

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Somehow, I don't think I am gonna do that. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I totally didn't get any artifacts...

...yup...

Trade the artifacts you didn't get to me.
    .wysiwyg { background: rgb(218, 218, 218) none repeat scroll 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; } p { margin: 0px; }
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Somehow, I don't think I am gonna do that. :P

Nobody likes my "Resurrect DA" plan either. No sense of adventure.

Edit: I'm blaming all that stuff that I just put spoiler tags around on you Spectre.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zomg, DA that's meta stuff! I can't know what's goin on in the dead thread!

You can't be revived anyway.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was referring to the Public Locker room option, what would you be referring to Spectre?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was referring to the Public Locker room option, what would you be referring to Spectre?

Oh yeah right. I see you posting it up in the dead thread.

There was no "resurrect" DA plan in the living thread.

Fishing for information now?

You are evil.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You are evil.

Gentlemen, please. We are not heartless robots here. No reason to fill a phalla so new with our old hatreds. Let's save that for Day 2, or at least a little later in the Day 1.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FreeAgent wrote: »

You are evil.

Gentlemen, please. We are not heartless robots here. No reason to fill a phalla so new with our old hatreds. Let's save that for Day 2, or at least a little later in the Day 1.

But it isn't Phalla without the traditional Day 1 bandwagoning.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You are evil.

Yeerks are evil, right? !Vote FreeAgent.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Appeals to reason on Day 1 are a sure sign of being possessed by evilness.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Indeed, almost as much as pointing that out!

Vote Gundam!

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You are evil.

Yeerks are evil, right? !Vote FreeAgent.

Yeah, but all I do anymore is stuff myself with oatmeal. Brown sugar cinnamony goodness. How about you Spectre? Eaten your oatmeal recently?

Edited for colors

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Vote Gundam!

Maybe, but not as much as voting for me!

!Vote ballbaggins

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Vote Gundam!

Maybe, but not as much as voting for me!

!Vote ballbaggins

Accusing your accuser - could you be any more evil?

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not until i get my hands on one of those artifacts...

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not until i get my hands on one of those artifacts...

You sound pretty anxious to do just that. Pretty evil, even

Unless you're just a village-loathing villager. Not much better, but somewhat.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait, some people start WITHOUT artifacts? That's...just...wow. Oh well, I get to building the good ol' execution stage. We staking or beheading today?

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Stop the rock, can't stop the rock...

Savant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Savant wrote: »

I hear paper can.

cheez on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cheez wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »

I hear paper can.

Touche

Savant on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, seeing that I'm new to this whole Phalla thing, that means that no one bears a grudge against me and therefore I'm guaranteed to live past day 1, right?

right?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You are evil.

But it isn't Phalla without the traditional Day 1 bandwagoning.

Nothing kicks off a Phalla like some random guy's head on a pike.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, seeing that I'm new to this whole Phalla thing, that means that no one bears a grudge against me and therefore I'm guaranteed to live past day 1, right?

right?

!vote for that New Guy over there (Romantic Undead)!

Oats on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oatway wrote: »

right?

!vote for that New Guy over there (Romantic Undead)!

Noooooo! D:

Defend me n00bies! (And vets who might be able to use a stalwart patsy!)

!vote Oatway

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531