As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Customer Service Dilemma

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright; I've been seeing an opthomologist (no idea how to spell that properly) for follow-up eye care after having PRK surgery done on my right eye. It's been going really well.

I finally have my post-surgery care prescription and had planned to take it over to the local Iris optometrist & pay him for the lenses; he did me a real solid and helped me out with an infectious eye ulcer after I'd received horrendous treatment & a misdiagnosis at a local hospital, so I wanted to give him my business when it came to buying glasses (already bought a temporary pair from him a couple of months back & did a redundant eye exam through him).

I dropped off the prescription last week, I believe on Wednesday, and was told by the doctor's assistant that they'd order the lenses and then do a trace for my frame at a later date. She said she would be sending the order out that same day. Everything sounded good to me.

Suddenly, today, I receive an unbelievably rude phone call from their office. They want to know why my prescription is so different (I explain that I had just had surgery), why I wasn't doing follow-up care through them (I went with the doctor recommended by my surgeon. Pretty simple. Also it's none of their Goddamn business, but whatever) and effectively said that they wouldn't order my lenses until I had another eye exam through them (at full cost, of course).

Maybe I would be okay with this if the receptionist was polite, but Holy God she was pissy & terse, and plainly angry that I had dared go to the doctor recommended by my surgeon rather than their office. Also, she fucking lied to me on Thursday about ordering my lenses that same day, which is infuriating.

I am a pretty harsh stickler for customer service because I've been involved in it for most of my life, so normally this would be it for me: I'd just go get my lenses from my opthomologist instead (who has been totally cool with me going to Iris for the prescription, after I explained to them why I wanted to give them my business) and never darken an Iris doorway again. But...

Their office helped me out in a very, very big way, when nobody else would. I could've completely lost vision in my left eye if it wasn't for the optometrist at that little clinic (and I was in a lot of pain, which nobody aside from that optometrist seemed to give two shits about). So, I feel like I owe them (I sent the doctor a thank-you e-mail, but obviously that's not much in terms of material thanks).

What would you do? Would you pay for a redundant eye exam (85 bucks) & just forget about the rude receptionist, or would you say, "Fuck it," save the 85 bucks and get glasses from a place with better customer service? It's difficult for me to express how much it meant to me that the Iris optometrist helped me out the way he did, unfortunately (which is why this, to me, isn't a clear-cut answer at all): but it meant a lot.

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I would talk to the actual eye doctor who helped you out and explain things. I think it's most likely that he will apologize and tell you it's policy, but he should be made aware that you were so strongly offput. And if it's not policy, I'm sure he'd still be appreciative of your business.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    don't pay the $85. do have another try at going through iris. give them a call, explain that you really don't need another exam and will happily go elsewhere, but that you'd prefer to proceed with the order if possible. if they still don't want your business, move along.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    That'd be a weird policy. An Optometrist's office makes all their money off the frames in the first place. Usually it goes the the other way, they try and hold your prescription ransom so they can make you buy frames from them.

I'd guess you're dealing with the worst thing in customer service: a hardass bureaucrat with misconceptions of all the rules.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2014
    Yeah but this is an opthamologist. They make all their money by getting you to use their expensive diagnostic equipment.

ceres on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would call back and make a more detailed inquiry as to if the extra steps are truly needed. However, it might simply be the case where you think you're doing them a solid by giving them unexpected business, but they think you're simply overcomplicating their lives by doing something non-standard.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    That'd be a weird policy. An Optometrist's office makes all their money off the frames in the first place. Usually it goes the the other way, they try and hold your prescription ransom so they can make you buy frames from them.

I'd guess you're dealing with the worst thing in customer service: a hardass bureaucrat with misconceptions of all the rules.

I bought the frames from them already; they're just fitting lenses to them.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you don't owe them and don't let yourself be pressured into paying for an exam you don't actually need.

personally I'd look for a place that can perform the basic fucking service of filling a prescription without giving me grief, but if you really like that particular office then give them another shot.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't do the exam again. I do think you should try to speak to the doctor directly though.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't do the exam again. I do think you should try to speak to the doctor directly though.

I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the thoughts.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    Agreed with everyone about not getting the superfluous exam. It's your body, it's your healthcare; you can choose to get or not get whatever procedures are offered. What I really want to address is...
    The Ender wrote: »
    So, I feel like I owe them (I sent the doctor a thank-you e-mail, but obviously that's not much in terms of material thanks).

...this. You have no idea how meaningful stuff like that is to providers. Material thanks is whatever. He's an ophthalmologist, he's getting plenty of material compensation for what he's doing. Getting direct thanks from patients after the fact is a pretty rare occurrence though, and it feels fucking awesome. Good on you for taking your time to personally contact him and let him know.

camo_sig2.png