As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly!Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Social Entropy++
So you want to play MTG. You want to play Standard. The first thing you have to know is that there's one specific card, one specific spell, one creature that stands above all the rest.

53.jpg

No, not him.

63.jpg

Nope, that's not it either.

66.jpg

Seriously. No, it's not friggin Thassa.
73.jpg

That's right. It's Pack Rat. Do you have an answer to this guy on turn 2?

No?

That's a shame. Every card I draw is now a pack rat. Every creature I control? Pack rat. Even my Mutavaults are Pack Rats.

So, let's talk about Magic: The Gathering (of pack rats!)

Born of the Gods dates:
Feb 1-2, Pre-release
Feb 7, official release.

Journey into Nyx is also coming in May!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
The Betgirl on

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Serious lack of Phenax, F- would not read again

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    pack rats are more powerful than phenax will ever be

Just because that is absolutely mathematically true doesn't mean you didn't break my heart by saying it

2x39jD4.jpg
    Bro....

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ratgic: the Packing

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I threw together the Maze's End deck from the GP on MODO for about $35 and goddamn is it terrible. Not like, uncompetitive, because I actually had a pretty easy win over Mono-Black and a close loss (in which I punted the last turn to change it from a potential win) against Mono-Blue. But it is just doing the same fucking thing over and over again and hoping you don't run out of Fogs before you get all your Guildgates.

Still figuring out how to sideboard. Not sure what Crackling Perimeter perimeter is for -- probably the control matchup, but I could also see using it against Mono-B since they eat up so much of their own life. I'm glad to have the deck so that I can participate in another type of Daily event, but goddamn is it boring.

Isn't that exactly what its supposed to be, though?

It'd be fun to play once or twice I think. But I can't imagine it being super exciting.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So my curious interest in MTG is gotten to the point that I make decks now. Any of y'all tell me how terrible this Vampire deck would be and what I can do better.

edit: On making it I saw I have several "Illegal" cards, I assume because I didn't set a format. And I noticed the price of the cards. :D Work in progress.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    For starters all your Vampires need to be foil and when you play you have to tell people you got vampires that sparkle like edward

and you need to splash green and blue for progenitor mimic and master biomancer

2x39jD4.jpg
    The Betman wrote: »

It'd be fun to play once or twice I think. But I can't imagine it being super exciting.

It's more that now that I've experienced exactly how boring the deck is I'm astonished by it's continuous, if niche, popularity.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Pack Rat fever is that Ted Nugent song right?

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    For starters all your Vampires need to be foil and when you play you have to tell people you got vampires that sparkle like edward

and you need to splash green and blue for progenitor mimic and master biomancer

No forests or fresh water will pollute my swamplands. And no elves.

acpRlGW.jpg
    So my curious interest in MTG is gotten to the point that I make decks now. Any of y'all tell me how terrible this Vampire deck would be and what I can do better.

edit: On making it I saw I have several "Illegal" cards, I assume because I didn't set a format. And I noticed the price of the cards. :D Work in progress.

Seems like it could be pretty fun. Do you have the Mires?

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    where yo vampire nocturnus at

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited January 2014

Seems like it could be pretty fun. Do you have the Mires?

I have nothing. My interest is born from the Duel of the Planeswalkers game I got from a steam sale, some research and Hearthstone getting me interested in card games in the first place. I liked the two Black decks, Deadwalkers and Lord of Darkness, and the red/green/black Dracomancer from the DotPW14 game, but I don't have any physical cards.

My local comic shop has magic cards that I've been looking at but i haven't bit the bullet yet. I might wait until BotG set is released.
    where yo vampire nocturnus at

I'd love that, what can I drop to keep the deck at sixty? I still need to work out a sideboard.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You might be better served building a Standard deck if you don't have any friends that play casual magic. You can take a standard format deck to an FNM and play, but you might have trouble finding opponents for an older format. I'm on a phone so I actually can't check whether that deck is playable in Standard or not.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh man, excited for MtG this week because:

My LGS owner is (probably) finishing his powered (proxied) Cube this week

Midnight prerelease Friday night/Saturday morning

Can't wait!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

long e in xenagos's name, not short? bullSHIT

they keep getting names wrong it is super impressive

2x39jD4.jpg
    it wants me to facebook connect to post questions, boo to that

I'll just gripe about splitting the land cycle and praise phenax to myself then

2x39jD4.jpg

you can signup for twitch without connecting to Facebook. just click the "Sign Up" tab

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

It's more that now that I've experienced exactly how boring the deck is I'm astonished by it's continuous, if niche, popularity.

I imagine it's mostly because no one really expects to play against it, so even the power decks have a hard time stopping it. E.g. here's the deck being played in a recent GP: http://www.twitch.tv/magic/b/498143330?t=385m40s

Having no creatures and your main threats being land means there's a lot of dead cards in your opponent's deck.
    The only reason it lost was Torrez misspoke playing a Merciless Eviction, wiping enchantments instead of creatures. He would have taken that match handily in game 2 otherwise.

admanb wrote: »

you can signup for twitch without connecting to Facebook. just click the "Sign Up" tab

I was signed in already! when I typed in my message a little thing popped up after saying you need to facebook connect to send messages to this channel

2x39jD4.jpg
    Yeah. I noted its effectiveness in my original post. I plan on keeping it around and will likely play it in some Standard dailies, because it feels like it could easily go 3-1 against a normal field. I also enjoy beating people in games where they have very little chance to interact with me.

My astonishment was slightly in jest, I suppose. I know there are a huge variety of things that make different decks interesting to different people, I just had such a visceral gut reaction to playing Maze's End that I felt like I needed to express that. :P

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I've been going to the same store for like 3 years, I'm well aware of what prereleases are all about

but I would rather not open arbor colossus #11 and just support the store by buying packs of what I'd rather actually open + release day drafts that we're doing as x3 born

I wouldn't be getting too excited about opening packs. I'm not going to be picking up any outside of what I win I think, because your chances of breaking even are close to nil.

Born of the Gods currently only has 12 cards selling above $5, and eight of those are Mythics.

$27.31 - Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    $19.95 - Kiora, the Crashing Wave
    $18.99 - Xenagos, God of Revels
    $11.98 - Mogis, God of Slaughter
    $8.95 - Phenax, God of Deception
    $7.62 - Ephara, God of the Polis
    $6.99 - Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
    $7.70 - Karametra, God of Harvests
    $6.99 - Spirit of the Labyrinth
    $7.02 - Pain Seer
    $5.15 - Satyr Firedancer
    $4.99 - Courser of Kruphix

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yep it's boring as hell, gonna play a bunch of it.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    $30 still seems insane for Brimaz, but I figure it's just because he's immediately applicable in Standard, where the others will need more work.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    I obtained a foil Gift of Orzhova and holy shit this is the prettiest card ever.

edited January 2014
    Kelor wrote: »
    $30 still seems insane for Brimaz, but I figure it's just because he's immediately applicable in Standard, where the others will need more work.

profit is not why i'd rather crack a few packs, for the record

I drafted so much theros that I'm goddamn sick of it and would rather see new stuff in my hands in general

I am quite aware of the overall lack of value in the set

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    lack of overall value right now

just wait for the rotation, really, there are probably some hidden gems in here that Ravnica is hiding from us at the moment

I'm going to be buying every herald of torment I see for a dollar

7yh4xczljsym.png
    2 of the intro decks are u/b and one of those contains the black intro rare from last set

who made these lists

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Yeah, there's a few rares that seem incredibly cheap for what we have available in front of us at the moment.

I'm trading for all the sub-$8 gods I can get ahold of, as they're unlikely to be printed for some time and they'll probably end up like the Eldrazi.

Also because Purphoros is like Ghave, you can slip, fall over and still accidentally kill two people in an EDH game.

2 of the intro decks are u/b and one of those contains the black intro rare from last set

who made these lists

considering that griptide is listed twice on one of the lists i'm assuming something's up

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I really really really need a 1920x1080 wallpaper of the Divination art

It's the prettiest card in the set, Wizards, how has this not already happened

Antimatter wrote: »

who made these lists

considering that griptide is listed twice on one of the lists i'm assuming something's up

I think something was wrong and now fixed

the other one is b/g

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Antimatter wrote: »

who made these lists

I think something was wrong and now fixed

the other one is b/g
    that explains commune

wed night standard at my LGS and I managed to beat u/w control on a mull to 4 with r/w devotion

that was so fraudulent

7yh4xczljsym.png
This discussion has been closed.