As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing apartment door

Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
Long story short the door and the door jam need to be replaced. Let's just say it's not a good idea to leave the door handle locked when you step outside to grab a fire extinguisher. Luckily everything else is fine besides the door which had to get knocked in. Which brings me to the thread title. I actually have a few questions I guess.

1) My renter's insurance claims they wont cover any damage not caused directly by the fire. I.e. if the door had burned down I would be fine, but apparently the fire department breaking in doesn't count. I'm looking through my policy and it does say that it will only cover fire damage but it doesn't explicitly say that it wont cover damage done by the fire department because of a fire, which a normal person would lump in with fire damage. As far as I can tell there's no direct wording like "only covers burn damage", it just says it only covers fire damage. I'm not exactly sure where to go with them at this point.

2) I talked to my landlord and their deductible is too high to get insurance so they are telling me I need to pay one way or the other. To that end they gave me a bill from the last time they had to replace a door and said that it would be the same to do it this time. The bill seems outrageously high ($1200) for a door replacement that isn't made out of a precious metal. I looked over the bill and it turns out it's only $350ish for the materials but the guy charges $40 per hour and apparently takes his time. Is this a reasonable price for this type of work or should I go hunting for a better quote? If I decide that I'd rather do this myself (I have some experience and my dad is a building contractor) how likely is it that my landlord is just going to say my work is not up to standards and keep my deposit anyway? How do I avoid that?

3) What do I need to do here to ensure I get most of my deposit back. I don't want to shell out $Texas for repairs just to have them keep my deposit anyway.

tl;dr I broke my apartment door and I'd like to figure out the cheapest way out of this situation.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    According to that math it should take him 21 hours to replace that door. Even if he drove to buy it and put it up, there is just no way it would take that long. Find someone else to do it.

Fire must not have been too bad if you are still living there. Lucky.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    There is no way it takes 21 hours to replace a door. That's enough hours to chop down a tree, mill it into boards, form those boards into a door, wait for the glue to set, and then go mount the door and jam.

Not only that, its an apartment. There was a fire - move out, or ask to be moved to a different unit. Do not pay anything past your deposit, and demand your deposit back.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Considering your entry door and door jamb needs to be solid wood and you'll need new door hardware as well (breaking a door open almost always fucks up the latch and deadbolt, even if the deadbolt wasn't set, you'd be surprised how much the wood will bend before it breaks, and how much of that bending will fuck up the internal mechanisms of the deadbolt), I wouldn't be surprised if the material costs were higher than $350.

Anything you do to replace the broken door must be up to code, so you need to check that the door you get to replace it is structurally correct, and that the door handle/latch and deadbolt are also the correct grade. Then you just need to fit the door, hang it, paint it, and fit the hardware. Be sure when you fit the door you don't make it too snug, because in moist weather, wood doors swell. One of my great uncles was a pattern-maker in the UK, and he custom-fitted all the doors and windowframes in his house so well, you could measure consistent clearances with feeler gauges. Then they all jammed shut in the first cold snap.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Get a prehung door. Balancing a door and installing all of the hardware takes a stupid amount of time. Prehung doors is more pop out the old frame patch up the area you fucked up and pop in the new door. A good carpenter can do it in 2 hours.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If your door hole is exactly square and exactly the regulation size, yes pre-hung doors can be easy and quick. If things are out by just 1/16th of an inch, it can really fuck up your day to the tune of maybe having to completely re-hang the door.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    If your door hole is exactly square and exactly the regulation size, yes pre-hung doors can be easy and quick. If things are out by just 1/16th of an inch, it can really fuck up your day to the tune of maybe having to completely re-hang the door.
    They make them in different sizes, but yes if you have some weird oval or paisley joint then prehung is not for you. But for an apartment, where the original builder put up 20 or 30 doors per unit. They probably went prehung initially anyways. Make sure you match the trim.

zepherin on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah prehung door should take about 2-4 hours to put in with one person. Door will cost probably $400, so I'd estimate a door replacement to be about $800 for a middle of the road average.

http://www.homewyse.com/costs/cost_of_replacement_entry_doors.html

That breaks it down for you to check out. If there's more than one apartment in this building, it's probably the standard size for prehung, like zepherin says. Ain't no way anyone wants to jamb up and build a door anymore than twice.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    zepherin wrote: »
    Get a prehung door. Balancing a door and installing all of the hardware takes a stupid amount of time. Prehung doors is more pop out the old frame patch up the area you fucked up and pop in the new door. A good carpenter can do it in 2 hours.

First thanks for the replies so far.

The door that's in there now is a prehung door. And this exact door was replaced in the past which is where the bill came from. So I have an actual bill paid to replace the door/frame and it says about $350 for materials and $800 for labor (20 hrs at $40/hr). The labor seems outrageous, but some of that may be the fact that you have to sand/stain the door prior to putting it in.

At any rate it sounds like doing this myself would be the best bet since labor is so expensive. Is there any sort of license required for this type of thing? Can my landlords keep my deposit for not having someone else come in and do it?

Edit - Related question. Is there a way for me to get the landlords to pay for this with my security deposit? I just have this sinking feeling they are going to try and keep it anyway so I don't want to throw more money at it just to lose both.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware, that sort of shit comes out of the landlord's insurance claims because it's considered "Normal wear and tear" and "part of doing business."

Unless, of course, you are a firestarter and in which case that's a civil case he should be suing you for, and using your security deposit in the meantime. Renter's insurance is considered "Contents Insurance" meaning anything that's damaged by the fire would be replaced.

This is why landlords carry their own separate insurance for their building, because a renter's insurance isn't going to cover building damage due to a fire. If they don't have coverage or the deductible is higher than $1500, well, motherfucking sucks to be them I guess, that's not your problem. If you want to be amicable, offer to split it with them, but that's more charitable than you need to be.

Also start keep meticulous records of the apartment. Damage, repairs, pictures of shit and video of you moving out, that'll help get your deposit back when you leave. Also make sure you do a walk through, and take pictures, and have both you and the landlord sign on it, and get a copy right then and there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Also I think a broken entryway is considered an "emergency repair" so it needs to be fixed asap. Just like your furnace in the winter.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Maybe they have 3 guys there doing the job? $40/hour is cheap for a labour, though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I guess, that just means it'd take an hour instead of 3. Certainly not 21+.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    bowen wrote: »
    I guess, that just means it'd take an hour instead of 3. Certainly not 21+.
    Well you know there is the 3 hours each of them takes to get there. The 3 hours of pre work smoke break. The 3 hours to do the job, and the 3 hours it takes for them to pay the property management a kickback. and the other 9 hours of doing a jig and demobilization :)

zepherin on