As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation] - This week: Strider and the Japanese PS4 launch

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think Bioshock Infinite is on the ps3 Plus game. I guess I need to hook that up tomorrow!

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    I think Bioshock Infinite is on the ps3 Plus game. I guess I need to hook that up tomorrow!

It's coming later this month, the new PS+ game on PS3 is DmC: Devil May Cry, and Don't Starve was just added for PS4

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    FUCK YOU DRAGON'S DOGMA. FUCK YOU A HUNDRED TIIIIIMES OH MY GOD THESE ASSHOLES AND THEIR MAGIC DOOM LAKE FUCK

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    are there good she-hulk comics

because in theory i think she is a neat character

but in practice all i have actually seen of her are those pages of her and the juggernaut post-fuckin'

that was written by literally one of the single most reviled writers of the past 15 years and it's since been retconned as having never happened.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    she hulk is fun fun fun

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Had my ps4 crash in Don't Starve yesterday.
    Be careful setting trees on fire.

It's good fun though, I thought there was a way to play in the same world you died in. They must have removed that, or I have misremembered.

VayBJ4e.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    She Hulk is also in the current FF lineup and that's been really fun.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dear Sony,

Thank you for your Vita/PS4 collaboration. I really enjoy the ability to play my PS4 games portably on my handheld. However, can you please remodel the Vita to have actual physical R2, R3, L2, and L3 buttons? The touchscreen on the back blows ass.

Sincerely,

Raijin

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dear Sony,

Thank you for your Vita/PS4 collaboration. I really enjoy the ability to play my PS4 games portably on my handheld. However, can you please remodel the Vita to have actual physical R2, R3, L2, and L3 buttons? The touchscreen on the back blows ass.

Sincerely,

Raijin

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    There's new news on the Internet!

- BioShock Infinite is free starting this Tuesday for NA PS+ members

- Outlast is the free PS4 game for February, as confirmed by the creators

- There's a big sale on PS+ this week in NA

14 for '14 Sale - 14 PS3 Games, 14 Vita games

Game Title - PS+ Price - Sale Price

PS3

BIT.TRIP Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - $3.75 - $7.49
    Crysis 3 - $5.00 - $9.99
    Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director’s Cut - $13.49 - $14.99
    ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition - $5.00 - $9.99
    F1 2013 - $20.99 - $29.99
    Far Cry Blood Dragon - $3.75 - $7.49
    Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (Cross Buy) - $5.24 - $7.49
    Pool Nation - $2.25 - $4.49
    Puppeteer - $7.00 - $13.99
    Rain - $3.75 - $7.49
    Rayman Legends - $35.99 - $47.99
    Tales of Xillia - $10.00 - $19.99
    The Wolf Among Us Season Pass - $13.49 - $14.99
    Thomas Was Alone (Cross Buy) - $2.50 - $4.99

Vita

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - $7.50 - $14.99
    Killzone: Mercenary - $9.00 - $17.99
    LIMBO PS Vita - $3.75 - $7.49
    Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (Cross Buy) - $5.24 - $7.49
    METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER - $6.99 - $9.99
    PIXELJUNK MONSTERS: ULTIMATE HD - $3.75 - $7.49
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time PS Vita - $6.75 - $13.49
    Soul Sacrifice - $9.00 - $17.99
    SPELUNKY (Cross Buy) - $3.75 - $7.49
    Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (Cross Buy) - $4.19 - $5.99
    The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season - $5.00 - $9.99
    Thomas Was Alone (Cross Buy) - $2.50 - $4.99
    Velocity Ultra Vita - $2.00 - $3.99
    Worms Revolution Extreme - $3.75 - $7.49

Some killer deals in there, namely Crysis 3 for $5, Tales of Xillia for $10 and Killzone: Mercenary for $9

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting kind of annoyed at the ps3 version of Xcom?

If a mission goes slightly long at all, the game will hang during the flying back to base screen, forcing you to reset and lose everything up to last save ( Which is the god damn title screen on Ironman)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Is Tales of Xilia worth picking up at ten bux?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    All Tales games are amazing

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Had my ps4 crash in Don't Starve yesterday.
    Be careful setting trees on fire.

It's good fun though, I thought there was a way to play in the same world you died in. They must have removed that, or I have misremembered.

Had this game crash again today. Lost the entirely of a well developed playthrough, because a spider killed chester, and the game couldn't handle the items dropping. I wouldn't buy this game on ps4, if days of playtime can be destroyed with a random crash.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there no save mechanism in the game?

Not one you can control or matters in relation to crashes . It just loads the same world without a trace of my history there when i loaded that character slot up after the crash.

VayBJ4e.png
    Like I had saved and exited a few times on that run, and the crash still reverted me to day 1.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That sounds like a really shitty save mechanism.

So, PlayStation Now

Beta invites are being sent out

Check your PlayStation-affiliated e-mail to see if you got lucky

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I have been told that I will be receiving a Playstation the Third, is there a list of mandatory cool games that I should be looking at?

So far I've tossed Gran Turismos and Red Dead Redemption on a list.

Fyndir wrote: »
    I have been told that I will be receiving a Playstation the Third, is there a list of mandatory cool games that I should be looking at?

Did you have/do you have a 360?

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Nope, had a Wii for a bit a few years ago but other than that I've been pure PC since the PS2.

edited January 2014

Nope, had a Wii for a bit a few years ago but other than that I've been pure PC since the PS2.

Okay, first things first - it might be beneficial for you to get a PlayStation Plus subscription. You get free games every month and some pretty deep discounts on other stuff. Free games are yours to keep and play as long as you have a current subscription going, and games you buy at a discounted price are yours to keep regardless of whether you stay on Plus or not.

Right now your free games you would receive are:

BioShock Infinite
    DmC: Devil may Cry
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Dyad
    Borderlands 2
    Binary Domain
    ibb and obb
    Poker Night 2
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    LittleBigPlanet Karting

It is important to note that you can actually sign up for Plus right now and save and purchase all these in your cart even without owning a Sony system, and then when you get your PS3 you can just download them right to the system. It's also a good idea to just go ahead and take any free PS4/Vita games they throw at you, in case you ever get one or both of those down the line.

Alright then, some good exclusive games and how much they'll currently run you

3D Dot Game Heroes - $16 on Amazon, fun little action-RPG in the vein of a Link to the Past Zelda game, very charming intentionally blocky art style
    Demon's Souls - $20 on Amazon, if you're into the whole Dark Souls thing, very punishing game but very rewarding, not for everyone
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds - $25 on the PlayStation Store, video game golf is the best and Hot Shots is always fun, this is the best one yet
    God of War Saga - $20 on Amazon, it includes God of War 1, 2 and 3, as well as PS3 versions of the PSP games, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta
    Heavenly Sword - $7 for a used copy at GameStop, the gameplay is God of War-ish, but it's got a pretty great story and well-acted cutscenes, Andy Serkis motion capture. I personally suggest turning off the motion controls if you get it.
    Infamous Collection - $28 on Amazon, includes Infamous 1 and 2 and Festival of Blood. I've never played Festival of Blood, it's a little side-story one-off kinda deal, but Infamous 1 and 2 are amazing open-world action games.
    Journey - $15 on PlayStation Store. A very good indie art game, it's a bit short on length, roughly two to three hours, but I didn't feel cheated by it at all. It's a beautiful game.
    Flower - This is showing up for free for me on the PlayStation Store, I'm not sure if that's accurate, but I know it was $10 when I purchased it. Another art game by the creators of Journey. I couldn't personally get down on this but some swear by it, and at the very least it's a wonderful-looking game.
    LittleBigPlanet 2 - $19 on Amazon. If you're at all the kind of person who's ever been into level editing, this is a pretty choice platformer for you. People have done amazing things with it. I lack creativity at all but even just popping into others user-generated levels you see some really novel stuff.
    Ratchet and Clank Future - Tools of Destruction is $23 on Amazon, A Crack in Time is $19 and Into the Nexus is $30. They're Ratchet and Clank games, presumably you played them on PS2 or know about them. They didn't really change much! But still solid nonetheless.
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - $20 on Amazon, same deal as above but with Sly Cooper. They made another one of those, it just took them a really long time. It comes with a code for the Vita version of the game if you ever pick one up in the future.
    The Last of Us - $43 on Amazon, it's kind of a big deal, pretty much knocking out all the Game of the Year awards for 2013. It's got a strong, well-acted narrative and tense stealth gameplay based around ammo conservation and item crafting.
    Uncharted Dual Pack - $29 on Amazon, Uncharted 1 and 2. Most people prefer 2, but I personally think the first is sorely underrated. Both are great cover-based third-person shooters, and 2 has some amazing setpiece work.

Someone else can probably knock out a few more for me, but those are the ones that jump out at me

UnbreakableVow on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Fyndir is in the UK so unless he specifically made a US PS+ account he might not get some of those games!

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
    Shiiiiit, my fault for assuming

Still - all the games I listed should be pretty cheap! Let me check what is currently free for PAL Plus members

Alright, as far as I can tell the current free games for UK people are:

DmC: Devil may Cry
    Remember Me
    Borderlands 2

And in February you'll be getting BioShock Infinite and Metro Last Light

There might be more than that, they usually keep some games on a six-month cycle while others cycle out monthly, but it won't actually let me access the European store, it just automatically defaults me to the U.S.

I'm sad we didn't get brothers, maybe we will in a month or two!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    God damn it, I was perversely hoping that the UK wasn't going to bet Bioshock Infinite, as I bought it with my Game funbux over Christmas.

Oh well, Metro Last Light should be fun.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

Grand Theft Auto 4

Resident Evil 5 & 6

Dead Space 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

Resistance 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

Grand Theft Auto 4

Resident Evil 5 & 6

wait what

Dead Space 2 the best one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm glad you liked it.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the general consensus was that Dead Space declined in quality with each sequel. I know anecdotally I got bored with 3 after about an hour

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Dead Space 2 is easily the best in the franchise.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Those deals you listed, they're for boxed copies right @UnbreakableVow

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Dead Space 1 & 2 were both fantastic for different reasons.

3 is the only poopy one.

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I didn't care for Dead Space 2 nearly as much as the first one (which I played through many times.) I thought most of the additions (enemy types, specifically) were poor

I haven't played 3 and I don't intend to based on what I've seen and heard

4SMZq.jpg
    Dead Space 1 is scarier, Dead Space 2 is a more mechanically competent shooter with some fantastic set pieces, Dead Space 3 was... kind of a neat co-op experience?

I didn't hate it but it was easily the worst.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I absolutely agree with Bale.

And yes, the eye poke machine totally counts as a set piece.

If your game is making me worry about my hand shaking while playing, it's doing something right.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Grand Theft Auto 4

Resident Evil 5 & 6

What