As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in Games and Technology
nintendo-eshop-logo-01.jpg

Welcome to the Nintendo eShop thread!

The purpose of this thread is to discuss all of the latest and greatest coming from the magical world of the Nintendo eShop service on the 3DS and the WiiU. With the eShop, you can get games, demos, videos, and more! If you have any questions or want to recommend games/apps, feel free to PM me and I'll add them to the lists below. Digital versions of first-party games are available on the eShop at Midnight EST/EDT of the game's launch. So without any further ado....

eShop, Virtual Console, DSi, and Club Nintendo games

3DS eShop games

These games are created exclusively for the 3DS. Some of them are remakes of old NES games, called 3D Classics, while others are original titles. Either way, there is a lot to choose from.

Great eShop games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Twin Bee (3D Classic - Shooter)
Mighty Switch Force (Action Puzzle)
Pushmo (Puzzle)
VVVVVV (Platforming)
Zen Pinball (Pinball!)
Mutant Mudds (Platforming)
Kid Icarus (3D Classics - Platforming)
Sakura Samurai (RPG/Punch-Out!!)
Dillion's Rolling Western (Tower Defense)
Bomb Monkey (Puzzle)
Steamworld Dig (Action)
Crimson Shroud (RPG)
Cave Story (Platforming shooter)
All of the Sega 3D Classics

WiiU eShop games

These games are created exclusively for the Wii U.

Great eShop games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

NES Remix (Classic games)
Dr. Luigi (Puzzle)

Virtual Console games

You can download older games on the 3DS or Wii U. On the 3DS, you get classic portable systems such as the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, TurboGrafx-16, and the NES. On the Wii U, you have access to everything available on the regular Wii's eShop, although without the extra features like off-TV play, save states, and button config. The Wii U gets games from classic consoles such as the NES and SNES with other consoles available down the road.

For a complete list of 3DS games available, click on this link. For the Wii U's game list, click on this link.

I would list all the great games to own, but that would take forever! Click on the links and wipe that drool off your face. :)

DSi games

Older DSi games are also available for download on the 3DS as well. There are plenty to choose from and, to make everyone's life easier, our own UncleSporky has created a list of some of the best games to get. Here is a site that reviews DSiware games. The only site I know of that reviews every DSiware game

Great DSi games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (amazing platformer)
Starship Defense (tower defense)
Art Style: AQUITE/AQUIA (puzzle game with a neat aesthetic)
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (pixel puzzle game)
Dark Void Zero (old school platformer)
X-Scape (first person space shooter thing)
Cave Story (another amazing platformer)
Dr. Mario Express (classic puzzle game)
Puzzle Challenge Express (classic puzzle game)
Photo Dojo (simple but hilarious 2 player fighting game)
Rayman (classic 2D platformer)
Mighty Flip Champs! (platform puzzler)
Alphabounce (long, extensive brick-breaking RPG)
Soul of Darkness (quality Castlevania knockoff)
Inchworm Animation (full featured animation studio)
Zenonia (great Zelda-style RPG)
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini (weird little platform puzzler)
Mighty Milky Way (gravity-based puzzler from the Shantae people)
Dragon Quest Wars (tiny strategy game)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (great puzzler)
Castle of Magic (action platformer)
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (just...what)
Chronos Twins (interesting dual screen mechanic action game)
Plants vs. Zombies (duh)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (if you haven't played it yet)
Viking Invasion (tower defense)
Gaia's Moon (side scroller action)
Flip the Core (side scrolling shooter)

Free games via Club Nintendo:

Nintendo is now allowing players to buy download games for their Wii, DSi, and 3DS via the Club Nintendo website. All first party games, and some third party titles, offer codes that you can enter on the official Nintendo website. Fill out a survey and earn coins (and an additional follow-up survey for extra coins). The coins can buy a variety of posters, cases, and various neat stuff. But the games are where it's at. Every month, Nintendo is offering up four games to download. You can find the current games available here.

Featured Applications:

Nintendo Video: A free download app that randomly adds short 3D movies to watch. Blue Man Group, College Humor, and Dreamworks have all contributed.
SwapNote: A free download app that allows you to send notes, pics, and sound clips to friends via Street Pass or Spot Pass.
Netflix: Link your account to your 3DS to watch (2d) movies on the small screen.
Hulu Plus: Just like Netflix, link your account to watch TV shows on the go.
3D movie recording: Record up to 10 minutes of 3D footage and upload it to youtube.
Game demos: Download demos of upcoming 3DS releases.
System Transfer: Transfer information from an existing DS, DSi, or 3DS to a 3DS. Great for when the inevitable redesign hits the scene.
A full list of additional built-in software can be found on Nintendo's 3DS site.

Connect with fellow PA people

Sir Ultimos has created a friend code matching system for us to easily connect with each other. Check it out: Sir Ultimos web site and friend code matcher. I also highly encourage everyone to add your 3DS system code in your signature if you want other people to add you.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
Echo on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm taking suggestions for new games/materials to be updated/added to the OP. Suggest away!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm taking suggestions for new games/materials to be updated/added to the OP. Suggest away!

Cave Story (3DS eShop version) and Crimson Shroud
    Any and all Sega 3D Classics. They're all fantastically done. Take your pick.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Posted earlier in the Wii U thread but might as well post here. WB eShop sale

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You should perhaps put in a segment for Wii U eshop games that should be bought.

And start with NES Remix and Doctor Luigi.

And any great Wii U VC games, like Super Metroid or Uncharted Waters.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221398

Link to the Past is up tomorrow!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Kersploosh! is ridiculously good value for $2.

• Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Retail

Wii Fit U – With Wii Fit U, you can create fitness routines, review progress and compare with friends in online Gym Communities and Miiverse. Get active with more than 70 fun activities, from new ones using the Wii U GamePad controller to Wii Fit favorites. Jan. 31 is the last day for Wii U owners who also have a Wii Balance Board to take advantage of Nintendo’s free trial offer of Wii Fit U. After that the download costs $29.99. You can also purchase the game with an included Fit Meter in stores at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Wii U Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – $7.99

3DS Virtual Console

Mario Bros. – $4.99

3DS Download

Castle Clout 3D – $4.99
    ARC STYLE: Solitaire – $2.99
    Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 – $4.99

eShop sales

Super Indie Sale – Own or purchase one of five participating games at regular price to get 60 percent off all other participating games! Participating games include: Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition, Toki Tori 2+ or BIT.TRIP Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien. This offer is valid from 9 a.m. PT on Jan. 30 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 13.

Ohno Odyssey – Ohno Odyssey is a physics-based, action-puzzle game that challenges players to guide stranded aliens through gravity-defying stages as they roll on rails, and jump over and smash through obstacles. Starting today, download Ohno Odyssey from the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS for $3.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 20.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Starting today, Wii U owners can take advantage of limited-time discounts on select indie games in the Nintendo eShop. Now through Feb. 13, fans who own any of the participating games already – or purchase one at full price during the promotion – will qualify to receive 60 percent off all other participating games.

The indie games that are participating in this exciting two-week Nintendo eShop sale include:

• Toki Tori 2+ from Two Tribes Publishing is a puzzle adventure with no tutorials, no hand-holding and no one telling players what to do. The fun is in exploring and overcoming the obstacles of the lush forest island.

• Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party from KnapNok Games is a game for two to eight people. Players sit in a circle around the Wii U GamePad, spin a virtual bottle and collaborate with friends to complete the most challenges.

• BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien from Gaijin Games Inc. is a rhythm-music, auto-running platformer. Players run, jump, slide, kick and soar through fantastic environments with amazing soundtracks.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams from Black Forest Games is a fast-paced platformer that lets players morph at will between two dynamically different dream worlds. The game combines punchy graphics and tight controls with the challenge of retro platforming.

• Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition from WayForward delivers players to a world in which Space Hooligans have escaped custody and are wreaking havoc all over Planet Land. Players must do what they can to bring these renegades to justice.

“Independent developers are responsible for some of the most creative and unique content in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U,” said Steve Singer, Nintendo of America’s vice president of Licensing.

“We noticed there were a lot of high-quality games by independent game developers in the Nintendo eShop,” said Collin Van Ginkel, co-founder of Two Tribes Publishing. “This type of special promotion helps us introduce games of other developers to our fans who may not otherwise discover all the great games available on Wii U.”

http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

Today's update:
    Virtual Console™ on Wii U™
    The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™ – Considered one of the greatest video games ever made, the Super NES™ classic follows hero Link™ as he searches for Princess Zelda™ in twisting mazes, dark dungeons, mysterious palaces and shadowy forests. Traversing both Light and Dark Worlds, he must navigate eight dark dungeons, fighting evil enemies and huge bosses.

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS™
    Mario Bros.™ – Mario Bros. is the first game to feature Mario™ and Luigi™ together. Help the two brothers clear stages by collecting coins and avoiding enemies in this action classic.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
    Castle Clout 3D – Crush and destroy enemies with your powerful trebuchet in this vivid 3D version of the popular Castle Clout game. Choose your ammo and angle of attack to crash castles across five continents, then design custom levels and challenge your friends in multiplayer mode.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
    Wii Fit™ U – With Wii Fit U, you can create fitness routines, review progress and compare with friends in online Gym Communities and Miiverse™. Get active with more than 70 fun activities, from new ones using the Wii U GamePad controller to Wii Fit favorites. Jan. 31 is the last day for Wii U owners who also have a Wii Balance Board™ to take advantage of Nintendo’s free trial offer of Wii Fit U. After that the download costs $29.99. You can also purchase the game with an included Fit Meter in stores at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Nintendo eShop Sales
    Super Indie Sale – Own or purchase one of five participating games at regular price to get 60 percent off all other participating games! Participating games include: Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition, Toki Tori 2+ or BIT.TRIP Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien. This offer is valid from 9 a.m. PT on Jan. 30 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 13.

Ohno Odyssey – Ohno Odyssey is a physics-based, action-puzzle game that challenges players to guide stranded aliens through gravity-defying stages as they roll on rails, and jump over and smash through obstacles. Starting today, download Ohno Odyssey from the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS for $3.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 20.

Also new this week:
    • ARC STYLE: Solitaire (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
    • Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

We're expecting a $1 upgrade from Wii to WiiU VC, yes?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is Dragon Quest Wars a DS game or an eshop thing?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

SNES upgrades are $1.50 if I'm remembering right.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Houn wrote: »

$1.50 for SNES, $1.00 for NES
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is Dragon Quest Wars a DS game or an eshop thing?

DSiWare I believe

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What is DSiWare?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What is DSiWare?

Digital games that were released for the DSi shop long before the 3DS eShop. They play on both the DSi and 3DS.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Gang, Zelda Four Swords is free.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Legend of Zelda: Four Swords is free!

McFlynn said it already but I'm saying it right now again because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yes!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I assume this Four Swords release is the same DSiWare one they had a few years back, right? Or is this a new version (or at least, 3DS port so it doesn't boot into DS mode)?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So stoked for Four Swords to be released again. Now all of my friends who got into the 3DS game late can play with me. It is only for 4 days so everyone needs to jump on it.

I looked at it in the eShop and it said I already downloaded it, so it seems to be the same exact game, just released again.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm assuming this can be downloaded on the DSi as well. Am I correct?

RockinX on
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

Should be able to since you could before.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    skeldare wrote: »

There's no mention of it anywhere. I just want to be sure so I have a reason to charge the DSi when I get home.

Edit: I looked around. 3DS-only. Damn it, Nintendo! Why the fuck did you make it 3DS-only?

RockinX on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Because they figured DSi owners had their shot?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm guessing 2DS was them officially phasing out any DS support (I.e. you have a cheap way to upgrade now, so we aren't even going to pretend ppl want to play DS anymore).

That, or they didn't want the hassle of having to even look at the god-awful DSi storefront :p

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

There's no mention of it anywhere. I just want to be sure so I have a reason to charge the DSi when I get home.

Edit: I looked around. 3DS-only. Damn it, Nintendo! Why the fuck did you make it 3DS-only?

Presumably for the same reason you can't buy Earthbound on the Wii. Because eff legacy owners, buy the new hotness.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Is this the same game offered last year, or a new one?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    F that, it's not available in europe.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Is this the same game offered last year, or a new one?

Same one

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    They really kind of released that one out of nowhere, didn't they? Wasn't even mentioned on their press releases.

Better hurry, though; it only lasts until February 2nd.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    I'm so glad for this thread or else I would have missed the free Zelda four swords download! Now I just need to make sure I remember to download it after work and make sure my roommate downloads it. I never ever played four swords before so this is going to be exciting :D

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    This weeks eShop update

3DS Retail

Bravely Default – $39.99 (available Feb. 7)
    The LEGO Movie Videogame – $29.99 (available Feb. 7)
    One Piece: Romance Dawn – $39.99 (available Feb. 7)

3DS Download

Retro City Rampage: DX – $9.99

Wii U Retail

The LEGO Movie Videogame – $49.99 (available Feb. 7)

Wii U Download

Percy’s Predicament

Wii U Virtual Console

Ninja Gaiden – $4.99

eShop sale

Urban Trial Freestyle – Race through a wide range of environments in this fresh take on the action bike-racer genre. Starting today, download Urban Trial Freestyle from the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS at a discounted price of $3.49 until 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 20.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Retro City Rampage: The game where a guy thought that filling a game with 80's and 90's pop culture and gaming references would be awesome. At times it is, but he forgot to make the game any fun to actually play.

What a huge disappointment it was for me.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Crap, I'm 4 dollars short of BD on my account. Stupid me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well, can't you add the exact amount you need via CC?

• Options
    Crap, I'm 4 dollars short of BD on my account. Stupid me.
    Don't forget tax :p

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is that correct, the Lego Movie game is $50 on the 3DS? It's only $30 for a physical copy at Gamestop...

How is Urban Freestyle? It's kind of tempting at that price.

• Options
    Is that correct, the Lego Movie game is $50 on the 3DS? It's only $30 for a physical copy at Gamestop...

Looks like a mistake, should be $30. I'll edit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Well, can't you add the exact amount you need via CC?
    Nope, I don't have a CC with US billing address, so I need to buy a Nintendo $$ card. I think there's a 10 dollar one, that should be enough. It's just such a hassle.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Every day that passes and Super Mario 3 is not on the eshop is a sad day.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Every day that passes and Super Mario 3 is not on the eshop is a sad day.

I would have expected it by now, considering it was delayed along side Pokemon Bank.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.