As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Keep it up! You'll be flyin in no time.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    A full mile without stopping is no joke, I don't care who you are :) Congrats on the progress, and keep it up!

• msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    Ana Ng wrote: »
    I can't even run a full mile without stopping yet, but I'm feeling pretty positive :)

Have you looked into a C25K type of program? Those can really help to ease you in at the beginning, and make it feel like you are making real progress (which you are). Good luck either way!

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    msuroo wrote: »
    I can't even run a full mile without stopping yet, but I'm feeling pretty positive :)

Have you looked into a C25K type of program? Those can really help to ease you in at the beginning, and make it feel like you are making real progress (which you are). Good luck either way!

I was just going to suggest C25K! It worked great for me, now I can run a pretty slow 5k without stopping. Feels good!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    thanks everyone :) yes, I've looked into C25k, my main issue right now is not being able to be consistent with running - one day it's sunny and nice out with clear roads/side walks, the next it's a blizzard.

thanks everyone :) yes, I've looked into C25k, my main issue right now is not being able to be consistent with running - one day it's sunny and nice out with clear roads/side walks, the next it's a blizzard.

I know that feel, that's how it's been here in Central PA most of this winter, and it's only Jan. :(

Strength training season!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Up 1.4lbs this week. Fart butts. I know what it was from too. IT WAS A SPECIAL OCCASION.

Back to that grind. Played hockey tonight. Hockey tomorrow night. Hockey Monday. All other days are P90X3.

This is the plan. Someone yell at me to stick to it.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    sooo finally bit the bullet and got back into the fitness game. My hubby and I did a few trials at new gyms in our area and today signed back up with our old gym.
    OMG it is hard to break my new (bad) munching habit, so we cleaned out the house and bought a bunch of new, nutritious snacks.
    Put our goal weights up on the fridge ... that should help a bit too.

So far
    Starting wt 147.7, minor bump to 149.9 after a dinner out (transitioning to reduced eating out with buddies).
    Running starting 5K time: 35:38. At my best, I was doing 27-29, so that's my goal.

glad to see this picking up. gotta remind myself to check in more :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Since it is under a week until it, I'd love some silly superbowl themed workout; eg X push-ups for every touchdown your opposing team gets? Any fun suggestions?

ishtra wrote: »
    Since it is under a week until it, I'd love some silly superbowl themed workout; eg X push-ups for every touchdown your opposing team gets? Any fun suggestions?

Well, I was going to do a drinking game every time they mentioned the weather in New Jersey. Or say "snow". I suppose a pushup for that would work.

vttym wrote: »
    Well, I was going to do a drinking game every time they mentioned the weather in New Jersey. Or say "snow". I suppose a pushup for that would work.
    Or both until my drunken arms can't do any more pushups and I remain comfortably on the floor :)

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Does anybody use the bodybuilding.com Bodyspace? That might be a fun way of tracking progress and motivating each other! Their website is pretty easy to use

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    Finally got back up to a 5k run/walk in my 35 minute treadmill session this morning. Hit 3.2 miles right as the timer rolled to 0.

And now, as I fact check myself, it seems 5k is 3.11 miles, not 3.2. Oh well, I guess I'll still call it a milestone :).. feels good to get my running (jogging) legs back under me, and lifting is progressing at the pace I want to. Dropped about 4 pounds so far in 3 weeks. Dunno if I'll hit 215 by PAX, but I'll be well on my way at this rate.

Nice @vttym !

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I suppose a pushup for that would work.

Five pushups! And no drinking!

Improved my 5K to 33:36 (down from 35:38 a week ago), so I'm happy! Ran on only a 1.5% instead of a 2.5% incline, but I'll take it.
    and @vgc - fair enough :P We're bringing the veggies, so I can guarantee myself something healthy to eat, regardless of how the rest goes down. Ended up not hosting anyway, so no pushups until I get home

I ate like a monster last night....but I did a 7 mile ruck with a 20lb sandbag plus 5lbs of water and burned over 1000 calories beforehand, so I think I earned it. ;)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So I've been diligently tracking my calorie intake on MFP for the last 5 weeks, and started working out semi-regularly. I'm not seeing any real loss so far, but I feel a little better and my stamina is definitely increasing. I've also quit smoking (!!!) which is something I never thought I would do, much less while trying to diet!

Starting Weight (January 5): 153
    Current Weight (February 7): 152 (BOO!)

If anyone is one MPF, feel free to add me (LindzAlexis)!

Swae on
    Congrats on the healthy lifestyle choices, @Swae .. that's no easy task, so if you need support, let us know! As an ex-smoker (it's been so long I feel weird identifying myself as one), I know the feeling of quitting, and can tell you up front that the first few years sucked, no sugar coating it. But I feel so much better now - made the issues I had worth it in the end.

Keep up the good work!

I have stayed the same weight for the past 3 weeks. Not super surprising since I had bad days, but I'm just happy not to go up. I did P90X3 two times and haven't gotten back to it. I am a slacker.

Today? Today I am going to see the Lego Movie and get pretzel bites. I DON'T CARE. Then I have hockey later. So, another day of staying the same weight. Haha. Fug.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    So I FINALLY saw a significant weight dip at my weigh in today! I've been bouncing between 151 and 153 for the last five weeks, and today - 148! I'm so happy that I'm going to hit the gym today AND tomorrow!

Swae wrote: »
    So I FINALLY saw a significant weight dip at my weigh in today! I've been bouncing between 151 and 153 for the last five weeks, and today - 148! I'm so happy that I'm going to hit the gym today AND tomorrow!

Woohoo!!! Then you should take a rest day....and then hit the gym Thursday and Friday too!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I FINALLY achieved a bodyweight bench press last night! I tried this weight just two weeks ago and I couldn't do it. Arms are sore, but I'm so happy!

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ok, so I've been a couch potato since... high school. Graduation was back in 2001.
    The job I have currently, has me walking around job sites and I don't feel too exhausted by them, but I do feel it when I walk around steel mills and I definitely feel it when I walk up several flights of stairs to the top of HRSG boilers and logging/shipping cranes. About 6months ago, I didn't have the best diet either, since I travel for this job and many times, landing somewhere at 1100pm I just wanted something hot to eat (que burger and fries) before I went to bed and wake up at 5am for the job tomorrow.

I've been doing better with the diet since then, but its still not stellar. I still find myself going out to eat more than making something at home, but it's an honest start. Just one of the little things I've managed when eating out is to not get french fries or starchy oily foods. I got rid of soda from my house, and replaced it with water and V8, but again, I'm being honest here, I still get soda when I eat out. (I seriously think I'd put it up there with smoking as something really hard to quit from.) So while I've been kinda meager on the nutrition side, I've been zilch on exercise until last week.

Well, I don't know what it was, but last week I've finally had enough of just sitting down.

I found out about c25k and a pretty good podcast of a 9week program. I've completed the Week 1 course which was 60sec jog, 90sec walk cycle for 8minutes running, 12minute recovery walk, 10minute warmup/down walk. Do that three times, allowing a rest day in between (I decided to just walk 10minutes on rest days so I could force myself into the routine and not end up quitting two days later). I do it first thing when I wake up because if I dont, I know I'd blow it off. So far, so good, I did the Week 1 routine 4times, just so I could see if I actually felt comfortable about progressing.. I have a rest day tomorrow, but the day after I feel ready to start Week 2.

Its a small thing compared to a bunch of other people here, but holy crap, I have not felt this good since... ever? I look forward to being able to run for 30minutes for the first time in ever.

I went grocery shopping after the workout, and I admit that even then my choices have been markedly better. Tacos tonight, steak tomorrow, no going out for fast food, and I'm not feeling sad for it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I had such a poopy day yesterday. So much so that I wound up getting Burger King (in which my day karma made me order the regular chicken sandwich and not the spicy). Thank God today is a new day. I NEVER get fast food anymore, so I will consider yesterday rock bottom. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Yeah, I know I'm making progress when I feel like crap after eating like crap, and I actually NOTICE it. Of course, ideally I don't eat like crap, but we're all human. I'm trying to make better choices, and am still getting out to the gym for sporadic levels of working out :)

@NotoriusBen - Awesome to hear about your early enthusiasm! It's a long road, but noticing changes makes it a little easier along the way!

thanks vttym. I'm glad to hear that.

Just got done with my first Week2 run, which is a 90second run/120second recovery walk cycle for 20minutes.
    I feel furiously awesome right now. About halfway through I felt like quitting, or doing a walk over the run cycle.
    Never been one to believe the coach about 'digging deep', but I'll be damned if it didn't work and get me through today.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Yea, this was the first time I hit an actual fast food place up in quite some time. At least, quite some time on my own. I definitely hit up a BK once or twice in the past year while at a friend's place, but like I said. Once or twice.

Up a pound this week (211.4). With the week I had, that isn't bad. It isn't GOOD, but it isn't bad.

bYf6vNQ.png
    you guys are probably going to keep hearing from me every couple of days. but holy hell is this thing working.

I've gotten myself into a better sleep cycle, 10pm to 5am or 6am. Today was friggin awesome. Woke up at 6am on the dot and I simply did the run. I didn't even have to try to force myself to do it.
    I have noticed on my off days that I've felt... not quite restless, but that I wanted to do something else. That's a good thing, but I still feel this is too early to start reaching for the stars so to speak.
    I dont want to fall down in an injury or something so soon.

I've been hearing about strength training being the perfect complement to running every other day (cardio). But the stuff that I am finding online is still a lot of people just ''doing it like I should already know how"
    bodybuilder dot com being a bad offender of it, unless I just suck at searching for reference material.

I'm curious if anyone has found something akin to the "couch to 5k program", but for strength training. Taking a complete newbie, who hasn't worked out since high school and gradually getting up to a respectable baseline.
    I'm not expecting to be lifting like I was in high school (I was doing 350lb squats and 225lb benches), but I know I forgot a lot about the proper techniques and which workouts I should be doing in groups.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm curious if anyone has found something akin to the "couch to 5k program", but for strength training. Taking a complete newbie, who hasn't worked out since high school and gradually getting up to a respectable baseline.
    I'm not expecting to be lifting like I was in high school (I was doing 350lb squats and 225lb benches), but I know I forgot a lot about the proper techniques and which workouts I should be doing in groups.

Starting Strength is a common place to start.

msuroo on
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Found an indoor running track that only charges $1 per visit, it's pretty small but it's in a town recreation center so the vibe feels way more chill and easygoing than a gym. Lots of different age groups running and walking the track.

Last night I went and did the first C25k run, it felt so good! I really felt like I got a good workout, without feeling discouraged about it, like I have in the past when I just tried to go out and 'run' without any specific goal or plan in mind.

There's also a pool available to do open swim or water aerobics, I'm going to look into the class schedule for March, see if anything will work with my schedule.

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    After losing the course two years ago due to starting a new job, I started running again tonight. It's going to take a while to rebuild any level of stamina after two years of riding my bike to and from work being my only real exercise, so I'll be following along with the "Zombies, Run! - 5k Training" program for a while.

I signed into Fitocracy just a bit ago, after neglecting it for almost a year, and was pleasantly surprised to still see some activity coming out of the PAX Prime 2013 group (Heh, I guess the name is a little out of date now.) and this got me to wondering... does anyone else play "Zombies, Run!" or it's 5k version? It'd be pretty great motivation to see other PAX folks on the leaderboards.

55ymlH2.png
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Running my first half 2 weeks after prime :) should be alot of fun.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So after 14 months off-program (and being pretty much non-existent here), I'm finally back to caring about myself. Replaced my lost fitbit, counting calories again, and hitting the gym semi-regularly. I forgot how much the first few weeks of this sucks but I remember how good it felt to be in the groove once I get there. Just need to keep pushing through.

God I'm going to miss pastries.

5I7JEDi.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    So just weighed myself in at the gym.

Body fat: 23.7% (I am no longer obese! Just overfat, it' something!)
    Weight: 225 (I started at 330 or so. So that's over 100lbs lost).

I may not check these forums much, as I'm sad I won't be able to be at any PAXes in the foreseeable future. But whenever I train hard or run I think of the brothers and sisters of the swoley church of Thor who have helped me along the way.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I was thinking of starting a thread like this for PAX AUS, but I see there is no need.

I had AUS as my goal this year, and although I'm not going make my goal weight I'm going to get as close as I can. I'm down 1.2kgs this week (deal with it you filthy imperial system peasants), and also started skipping at the gym after my other cardio. I'm a big guy so that took some balls, but I managed to find a wall without mirrors on it so that helped. Turns out I'm not even terrible at it.

You guys still use Fitocracy? Any good? Is there an AUS group? (looking at OP).

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular

You guys still use Fitocracy? Any good? Is there an AUS group? (looking at OP).

Some people still use Fitocracy, though I don't get around much to logging my workouts (something I should get back into doing).

Also, there is no AUS group, so I'd suggest making one so you get involved.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    Anybody running the Labor Day Half / 4 Mile in Redmond during PAX?

I'm toying with the idea of just catching a bus over that morning and getting in a good workout. Could be fun!

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Down 2.2kgs this week. Let's convert that into yank... 4.85lb.

What the hell is a lib?

Anywhoo very happy with that. I put it down to skipping. Also the lowest I've been since the start of the year when I got back to the gym.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    2.8kgs this week!

I put that down to intensive skipping.

Strained my left knee a little bit.

I put that down to intensive skipping.

Swapping it out for rowing for awhile. Also 35kgs total since the start of the year. Only 40 or so to go.. :/

:)