As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation] - This week: Strider and the Japanese PS4 launch

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I have been told that I will be receiving a Playstation the Third, is there a list of mandatory cool games that I should be looking at?

So far I've tossed Gran Turismos and Red Dead Redemption on a list.

Grand Theft Auto 4

Resident Evil 5 & 6

Dead Space 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

Resistance 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

What the eff is this some kind of Bizarro list

GTA5, skip 4

Avoid RE

Dead Space 1&2 (3 is aggressively mediocre)

Avoid Resistance

I can personally vouch for the following console exclusives (since you have a PC):

Uncharted 2

The Last of Us

ICO/SotC HD collection

MGS HD collection

MGS4

3D Dot Game Heroes

Dark Souls

God of War III

Infamous 1/2

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

Ni no kuni

Twisted Metal

Wipeout HD

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I have been told that I will be receiving a Playstation the Third, is there a list of mandatory cool games that I should be looking at?

Did you have/do you have a 360?

Nope, had a Wii for a bit a few years ago but other than that I've been pure PC since the PS2.

Since it only came out on PS3/360, Dragon's Dogma might be one to check out. The expanded version, Dark Arisen, preferably (core game + new areas).

I got a surprising amount of mileage out of that game. Lot of fun climbing on monsters and stabbing them in their giblets.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

Grand Theft Auto 4

Resident Evil 5 & 6

Dead Space 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

Resistance 1 & 3 (2 is kinda poopy)

What the eff is this some kind of Bizarro list

GTA5, skip 4

Avoid RE

Dead Space 1&2 (3 is aggressively mediocre)

Avoid Resistance

I can personally vouch for the following console exclusives (since you have a PC):

Uncharted 2

The Last of Us

ICO/SotC HD collection

MGS HD collection

MGS4

3D Dot Game Heroes

Dark Souls

God of War III

Infamous 1/2

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

Ni no kuni

Twisted Metal

Wipeout HD

He should just get the MGS Legacy Collection instead of HD Collection and 4: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-Legacy-Collection/dp/B00E2010IA

• Options
    True! I forgot about that thing since I was buying these as they came out

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    katamari damacy and bully are both ten dollars on the playstation store.

that's 20 bucks for two of the greatest games ever made

bully is actually my favorite game of all time!

the sequel has been all but confirmed and this makes me happy in ways i can't even begin to describe to you.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    katamari damacy and bully are both ten dollars on the playstation store.

that's 20 bucks for two of the greatest games ever made

bully is actually my favorite game of all time!

the sequel has been all but confirmed and this makes me happy in ways i can't even begin to describe to you.

What? When? Where? How?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    And yeah, definitely get God of War Saga instead of just God of War 3..it looks like it's only £3 more on Amazon.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    well, Dan Houser said that Bully 2 would likely be getting priority after Max Payne 3 dropped, the guy who did the score for the original said in a 2009 interview said that he'd be working on a sequel in the "not so distant" future.

in late july of last year Rockstar filed a trademark application for "Bully" "Bullworth Academy" and "Canis Canim Edit"

In a September 2013 interview, Dan Houser said that he has "numerous ideas" for another game in the Bully series. Houser specifically stated that it would "probably not" be a Grand Theft Auto clone featuring Jimmy as a protagonist, saying that Jimmy was "never that level of degenerate."

Question_zpsf9b96772.png
    The pieces are all there.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fucking eye poke machine...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    in late july of last year Rockstar filed a trademark application for "Bully" "Bullworth Academy" and "Canis Canim Edit"

I don't think they would name a sequel after the setting of the original game and also have the same name as the European version of the original game

What it does sound like, however, is an iOS port

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Uncharted 2/3 are great but for god's sake don't get Uncharted 1. That game is concentrated shit.

I was unfamiliar with the Ratchet and Clank series before I piked up Crack in Time but it is to this day one of the best adventure games I have ever played. It is also the only game I have ever played that actually managed to make good use of the six-axis functionality.

I second God of War III and the series as a whole if you're not familiar with it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You fucking keep an eye on somebody who reccomends buying Resident Evil 6 because they have ill intentions towards you

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Yeah the dropoff in quality from 4 to 5 was bad enough and 6 is an absolute dud.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Bully is so friggin good.

it is, it's basically incredible. i think one of the reasons i love it so much is because i identify so heavily with Jimmy as a protagonist, which probably says a lot about me as a person but whatever.

also, i think it was one of the things that kinda made me realize i was bisexual? weirdly? cuz there's a couple boys in the game you can get smooches from and one is the big blonde bully Trent and i accidentally did it the first time i ever played, kind of as a goof, and then found out "oh hey this isn't a goof at all oh god"

i've shared too much probably.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I think calling Uncharted 1 shit is a bit much. It's a good game with a couple of very unfortunate parts (lookin at you, jet ski) and without the gigantic bombast that made the. 2nd game so memorable.

It's very dated though, mechanically, because it was so early in the PS3 life cycle.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The gunplay is awful, even on normal

I nearly snapped my controller in half in the final level getting past the first checkpoint

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I just turn uncharted games onto easy because when you get to the tail end of the game enemies become super bullshit bullet sponges and it turns the game from enjoyable to frustrating and I just couldn't be fucking bothered dealing with that.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    You really should be playing uncharted games for the story and acting and settings anyway.

• Options
    You really should be playing uncharted games for the story and acting and settings anyway.

Which the first one barely has. It was 90% gunplay with mechanics that wouldn't impress anyone that played GTA3. It's an action/adventure game with terrible action and no real adventure. The second installment was a giant leap forward.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I still haven't touched Bioshock Infinite. I want to finish the main plot in Black Flag, but I am have this compulsion to get the Mayan armor, which is fine, but I keep getting distracted by piracy.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You fucking keep an eye on somebody who reccomends buying Resident Evil 6 because they have ill intentions towards you

Not at all. It's lots of fun.
    Butters wrote: »
    Yeah the dropoff in quality from 4 to 5 was bad enough and 6 is an absolute dud.

The story in 5 was worse than 4, but the actual quality of the game was a huge step forwards. The controls are much better, the weapon change mechanic is infinitely better than having to go to your inventory to change, the level design was better, the sound design is much better, the new hardware meant the graphics were greatly improved, no more shepherding Ashley...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy 6. To me, it was just 5 with better co-op, and more ways to beat the hell out of zombies.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Things I know about RE 5: It's the one that makes me into a racist if I play it. :rotate:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it's helped a lot and I now have a lovely populated wishlist to throw at family members. <3

• Options
    I think for me, RE6 stung so much because:

Dead Space 2 was a thing that existed, now

RE: Revelations on 3DS was really good

The RE6 reveal trailer looked so goddamn promising

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Saw next month's lineup of PS+ games on Reddit.

BdyYaPu.jpg

The last few months of Plus have been crazy good.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Today I cancelled my subscription to a mail game rental thing specifically so I can join PS+ and get those free games.

Does anyone know of a killer subscription deal on amazon or at best buy or whatever?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Free PS+ games for North America have been leaked, and it's a pretty decent load:

Outlast (PS4)
    Metro: Last Light (PS3)
    Remember Me (PS3)
    Payday 2 (PS3)
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
    Street Fighter x Tekken (Vita)

PAL regions have this for the month:

Outlast (PS4)
    Metro: Last Light (PS3)
    BioShock Infinite (PS3)
    Dynasty Warriors Next (Vita)
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)

• Options
    OH man, sweet! I wasn't sure if Payday 2 still had enough of a ps3 player-base to justify buying it. Now, I can try it for free!

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What's up with US getting more PS3 games now?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's because USA USA USA!

• Options
    What's up with US getting more PS3 games now?

Well, you see, we have to live in the U.S.

It's a double edged blade to be sure

• Options
    OH man, sweet! I wasn't sure if Payday 2 still had enough of a ps3 player-base to justify buying it. Now, I can try it for free!

I rented it

played it for an hour

took it back

it's reeeeeal shit.

• Options
    hm. I thought the demo was kind of neat, and would have been a lot of fun with some people helping. I didn't really love the shooting though. It looks like you can customize the fuck out of your guns, which is neat because your weapons are the part of your character you are always looking at in FPS games...

What is Metro Last Light?

• Options
    The shooting is bullshit, and that's all there is to the game. Shooting.

There is the illusion of stealth and tactics, and every mission on the same map is a little different so if the stealth worked it could be great

but the best way to do any mission is smash and grab, kill all the guards and get out as quickly as possible.

The cops are dumb and endless, and killing them feels utterly weightless, the only difficulty is running out of ammo and poorly designed missions with vague goals.

It takes all of the interesting parts of a big scale heist out completely and becomes a clumsy shooter. Not to mention after 3 missions, your gang has killed literally hundreds of cops, and nobody seems to be investigating your case at all.

• Options
    hm. I thought the demo was kind of neat, and would have been a lot of fun with some people helping. I didn't really love the shooting though. It looks like you can customize the fuck out of your guns, which is neat because your weapons are the part of your character you are always looking at in FPS games...

What is Metro Last Light?

It's the sequel to Metro 2033. Post-apocalyptic FPS from ex-STALKER devs, except it's a very linear experience vs STALKER's open world.

• Options
    The shooting is bullshit, and that's all there is to the game. Shooting.

There is the illusion of stealth and tactics, and every mission on the same map is a little different so if the stealth worked it could be great

but the best way to do any mission is smash and grab, kill all the guards and get out as quickly as possible.

The cops are dumb and endless, and killing them feels utterly weightless, the only difficulty is running out of ammo and poorly designed missions with vague goals.

It takes all of the interesting parts of a big scale heist out completely and becomes a clumsy shooter. Not to mention after 3 missions, your gang has killed literally hundreds of cops, and nobody seems to be investigating your case at all.

You are totally within your right to toss the game aside if it doesn't grab you, but we had very different expirences with this game.

I really liked it. You NEED friends to play this game with though. This is very much a class based game and the AI is too dumb to use their class properly. Certain builds are geared for safe cracking, others for crowd control, others for system hacking, others for moving money, etc

The gunplay starts out bad, but after leveling up, putting skill points into things and buying new weapons and attachments, you become a death dealing machine.

The stealth and tactics come into play once you understand how the game works. You becomes concerned with crowd control, staying out of the publics watchful eye, silently killing and hiding who you have to, casing a place beforehand in order to figure out the path of least resistance, where the cameras are, etc etc

The problem is a lot if your options are limited until you level up, get some cash, and unlock abilities and gadgets. The learning curve is very sharp.

There are also many types of missions, from bank robberies to negotiating information exchanges to smashing up a mall to drive up protection money to wave survival, etc etc

But a great many of these are kind of walled off because they would be very difficult without the right builds

When everything clicks, though. Oh man.

I will never forget the first time we were able to completely clean out a bank without setting off a single alarm.

I love the game but it does ask for a lot of time investment before it opens up

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    it's really bumming me out finding these social things in ac4 and it's like "location shared with friends" and i have none on psn

so people plz add me so i feel less bad

psn: zayren

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Zay wrote: »
    it's really bumming me out finding these social things in ac4 and it's like "location shared with friends" and i have none on psn

so people plz add me so i feel less bad

psn: zayren

Maybe you should share them with your friends locally on split-screen

(I added you to the OP and I'll add you to my friends list)

• Options
    By the way

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-nearly-doubles-sales-of-the-xbox-one-in-the-us-in-january/1100-6417739/
    The NPD sales numbers have gone out for January 2014, and PlayStation announced that the PS4 is "the #1 selling game console in the US in January, still #1 worldwide." The PlayStation Australia website also chimed in writing, "The PS4 system moved into the top spot for next generation console sales last month."

The NPD doesn't make specific sales numbers available for hardware, but according to the official PlayStation blog, VP of PlayStation marketing John Koller said, "PS4 was #1 in sales for next-gen consoles in January, nearly doubling the nearest next-gen competitor."

Surprisingly, the next-gen console also over took the former frontrunner, Nintendo's 3DS. In their report, the NPD confirmed, "PS4 led overall hardware sales this month, followed by the Xbox One." No sales number were made available for Nintendo's Wii U.

However, Microsoft reported in a press release that the Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined "sold the most games across all console platforms."

So for anyone worrying about if Sony was getting them out there

They are

People are just buying them

• Options