As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Walking Dead

13»

• Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can finally toss my two cents in now that I've caught up and won't have anything spoiled.

I really like the character development in this series. I don't think it would've lasted nearly as long if Kirkman didn't do such a good job with them. There are some zombie story cliches in the mix, but I love how it takes a look at how real people would act in the same situation. (Well, that's debatable. They seem more real than characters in movies anyhow).

Take Rick, who starts off the stereotypical "good guy/hero" who goes from
    telling his son "killing people should never be easy" to running a dude down with a fucking RV.

supertall on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ya, Rick's development from naive, small town cop to the gritty, do whatever it takes, shoot first, ask questions later guy he is now was incredibly well done. Lots of characters go through similar transformations. Andrea really stepped up in the current issue and looks to me like she is becoming the next lead in the series. Spoilers on current events.
    This issue, she's the one that steps up and puts the bullet in the zombie right away. Shes the one that kills (is it still killing when theyre a zombie?) Carol. Shes the one leading the preparations for eventual invaders and the top marksmen for the group and the one that will be the main defense for the group. These are typically jobs that Rick has filled for the group and it looks like Rick might be phased out of the picture or at least pushed to the sidelines in favour of Tyrese and Andrea. This could also just be build up to Andrea's death in the near future, especially with the No One Is Safe storyline. But that could be said for Rick as well.

The ending for the current issue was incredible though. The Woodbury army showing up was my "OH SHIT" moment of the week and an awesome cliffhanger.

KVW on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wonder if he'd ever kill Rick off...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Reading that interview with Kirkman has convinced me not to bother with this book.

I was on the fence before, but finding out that
    Kirkman has no actual plans of finishing the story, or explaining what caused the disaster really turned me off. I understand why he doesn't want to do that both from a story perspective and comercially... but I find the concept of these characters just stumbling along, getting killed and maimed and tortured without any hope in sight until Kirkman gets sick of writing it or the book is cancelled just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I know it's a book about a Zombie Apocalypse and there therefore hardly cheerful material... but without any hope of redemption for the characters the whole thing just seems so depressing and pointless.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    READ WALKING DEAD. I've been collecting the trades having not jumped on the initial boat. You won't be disappointed. I have no interest on what caused the plague. You'll find out that doesn't mean shit.

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    As I said, that's not the only reason I'm not interested... the other reason is the main one. It probably didn't need spoilering, I just wanted to play it safe.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, you wont read it because he doesnt have an end goal in sight and wont reveal what caused the plague? Thats your main complaint? Many consider the reveal on the cause of all the deaths of males in Y-The Last Man as the low point in the series and that it took a lot of the magic out of the book. Fables, another great book, has no end goal in sight and the writer wants to write it as long as he can with no end in sight. Amazing Spider-Man has no end in sight and will try to continue until it is no longer profitable. Every single comic with very few exceptions have the goal of running themselves into the ground until sales are no longer profitable. Refusing to buy a book because he has no set ending is ludicrous. He has goals and stories planned and an incredible amount of characterization and development set up for these characters.

Hows this. The zombie plague is an alien viral spore dropped from space to thin ou the human population by ancient aliens who were also responsible for the Black Plague and other various diseases. They want us to cultivate the planet to a certain point until they can take over it and over population in the last 100 years has caused damaging affects. The plague served to reduce our numbers so that the planet could return to better conditions. The book will end in 1000 years time when the aliens return to harvest the planet.

Now that you have some origin and ending in mind, you can freely buy the book and enjoy the incredible story and characters.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    Hows this. The zombie plague is an alien viral spore dropped from space to thin ou the human population by ancient aliens who were also responsible for the Black Plague and other various diseases. They want us to cultivate the planet to a certain point until they can take over it and over population in the last 100 years has caused damaging affects. The plague served to reduce our numbers so that the planet could return to better conditions. The book will end in 1000 years time when the aliens return to harvest the planet.

I fucking knew it!

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nile55Nile55 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So i just picked this series and man i am blown away. I love it and can't stop reading it. I love the story so far (im only on the third one) and the artwork i think is pretty awesome.

Nile55 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, you wont read it because he doesnt have an end goal in sight and wont reveal what caused the plague? Thats your main complaint? Many consider the reveal on the cause of all the deaths of males in Y-The Last Man as the low point in the series and that it took a lot of the magic out of the book. Fables, another great book, has no end goal in sight and the writer wants to write it as long as he can with no end in sight. Amazing Spider-Man has no end in sight and will try to continue until it is no longer profitable. Every single comic with very few exceptions have the goal of running themselves into the ground until sales are no longer profitable. Refusing to buy a book because he has no set ending is ludicrous. He has goals and stories planned and an incredible amount of characterization and development set up for these characters.

Now that you have some origin and ending in mind, you can freely buy the book and enjoy the incredible story and characters.

That misses the point a bit. I have no problem with comics going on indefinitely per say, but I do not like the sound of a survival/horror book with no end in sight, promising to drag on until everyone is dead or mutilated. It just sounds depressing as hell, and really doesn't appeal to me as the type of story I personally want to read.

So it isn't that I don't want to read comics in general if they have no planned ending (if I didn't, I never would have gotten back into them), I just don't want to read this particular type of comic if it has no planned ending. Your mileage may vary of course, I'm not trying to convert anyone who enjoys the book... more power to you.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    That misses the point a bit. I have no problem with comics going on indefinitely per say, but I do not like the sound of a survival/horror book with no end in sight, promising to drag on until everyone is dead or mutilated. It just sounds depressing as hell, and really doesn't appeal to me as the type of story I personally want to read.

So it isn't that I don't want to read comics in general if they have no planned ending (if I didn't, I never would have gotten back into them), I just don't want to read this particular type of comic if it has no planned ending. Your mileage may vary of course, I'm not trying to convert anyone who enjoys the book... more power to you.

Sorry if it came off preachy or anything, but it was just you said you would not try based on Kirkman's interview saying it would go on indefinitely. I think you are confusing this book with a generic zombie book and letting that interfer with your picking up one of the best drama books on the market. Yes, drama. It just happens to have zombies in it as well. The zombies are only there to put them in a particular situation where the drama can unfold. I just dont like seeing people passing on a quality book simply based on false misconceptions. If you ever have $10-15 laying around, grab the first trade and I bet you will be picking up the rest of them on your next visit to the shop.

On a different note, Image solicits list Walkind Dead 43 for Sept 26th...Is that still accurate? It was only 3 weeks between the last two issues. Are they still releasing this then or is it just an old solicit that delays pushed back?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=10946 just ctrl+f and search for Walking Dead.
    THE WALKING DEAD #43
    story ROBERT KIRKMAN
    art & cover CHARLIE ADLARD & CLIFF RATHBURN

32 PAGES
    BW
    SEPTEMBER 26
    $2.99

Living safely among the dead for so long can make you let your guard down. You forget how dangerous they truly are. Mistakes are made... lives are lost.

KVW on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So on a recommendation from a friend I picked up the first TP and read the whole thing through in one sitting. I then ran out to the comic shop before it closed and picked up all the TPs and The single issues I needed to catch up. I just finished 2 days of undead digesting up to #41. I have #42 sitting next to me.

Amazing series.

Charlie Adlard's art is just getting better and better too. After the first 7 I really missed Tony and thought the look and feel of the book suffered a bit, but I feel Charlie has stepped up to the plate well.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    issue 42#
    Holy shit, The Governor on a fucking tank. Shit is going down.. I honestly don't want to see anyone else die right now, either.. I can't wait until next issue. Oh, and its good to see Dale is going crazy.

LRG on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speculation time!
    There is no way the prison is going to come out of this intact. I know the governors army probably won't want to destroy the place based on the fact that they could move the whole town into the prison- but I can't see him being a very stable person after what happened to him. Not that he was stable before hand either. I figure there might be an explosion at some point from cell block A. Or maybe a huge zombie army wll come out of the wood work to balance things out. Can't wait for 43#.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Speculation time!
    There is no way the prison is going to come out of this intact. I know the governors army probably won't want to destroy the place based on the fact that they could move the whole town into the prison- but I can't see him being a very stable person after what happened to him. Not that he was stable before hand either. I figure there might be an explosion at some point from cell block A. Or maybe a huge zombie army wll come out of the wood work to balance things out. Can't wait for 43#.

On next issue:
    My guess is that the tank is not loaded. I'd guess the shells were all destroyed in the explosion at the aid station in earlier issues. With Kirkman, though, you never really know. Cant wait though.

KVW on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that was a holy shit moment. a move away from the prison would be a nice change. anyone think it'll actually happen?

theparttime on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Speculation time!

On next issue:
    My guess is that the tank is not loaded. I'd guess the shells were all destroyed in the explosion at the aid station in earlier issues. With Kirkman, though, you never really know. Cant wait though.

Honestly
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kirkman killed half of his cast with a single shell from that tank. I'm not saying that it will happen but I certainly wouldn't be surprised. I'm betting that Glen and his lady will be taking the dirt nap and I also wouldn't be too shocked to see Rick and Lori go down. Carl has really started growing up and I think he could start standing up as a bigger character.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that was a holy shit moment. a move away from the prison would be a nice change. anyone think it'll actually happen?

I really hope not. They've done so much work at the prison, to lose it all would be a huge drag.

Though honeslty, I don't see how anyone can survive. Did you see how many motherfuckers the governer brought with him? The governer on a tank yelling "Kill them all!" was pretty frightening. I don't remember if they found any gernades during the trip to the outpost near Woodbury, but thats like the only why I can see this fight being anything but a massacare.

Once again, I'm afraid for fictional characters. Gotta love this book.

LRG on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd love to see them kicked out of the prison. Being forced to roam again.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm in agreement that the tank can't have more than one or two shells in it, and this is the kind of thing he was saving them for. I think the tank is just the reason to get over the gates. The roamers will do a good job of thinning them out and wasting ammo, but they're also going to be inside now, everywhere, and the noise will attract more by nightfall, which this will drag on for a day at least. The general will die, I'm guessing either ricks wife or kid will go too, and probably a third of the survivors. The big questions is what rick is going to do with the enemy survivors. I'm guessing he feeds them to the zombies... 8-)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    jonny_consequencejonny_consequence Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    IGNComics just did an interview with Kirkman on The Walking Dead. If you have no idea how the book managed to get published, its pretty funny. Image didnt watn to publish a zombie book. They didnt think it would work out. So Kirkman tells them the zomibes will end up being created by aliens and the book will turn into a humans vs alien war and Image approves it. First issue came out and the publishers asks him where the hints for the aliens were or if there were any in the first issue since he couldnt see any. Kirkman tells him "i was lying, theres no aliens, I wanted to do a zombie book, sorry.". Guy emails him back and tells him its cool because he thinks the book is pretty awesome and aliens would just ruin it. You can check the rest of the interview out here.

Holy shit, that's awesome/hilarious.

And you can justify not reading The Walking Dead all you want, but just go through a couple of the trades and try to stay away. I don't like the idea of it going on forever either (I very much enjoy comics with a finite lifespan), but I'm sure as hell not going to stop reading it.

I really need to go pick up the new issue so I can read these spoiler boxes.

jonny_consequence on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow thanx for that link.
    Michonne shoulda killed the general in her earlier awesome gruesome torture of him

theparttime on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I predict that everyone dies. Except for Rick.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    jonny_consequencejonny_consequence Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I finally picked up #42. (NSFW spoiler.)
    FUCK

jonny_consequence on
  • Options
    comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    when i was at the baltimore comiccon i attended the image comics forum and they said the plan was to keep the series running for around a hundred issues. they also said (without naming any specific characters) that sometime around issue fifty they will have massively "condensed" the books regular cast of characters. based on the way the last issue wrapped up i think this story arc is gonna be action packed and we will be saying goodbye to alot of characters.

comicgeek77 on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure if I like the idea of getting rid of characters who have been around a while in the series.
    It seems like an excuse on the writer's part to bring new characters in, when they could be writing better stories for already established characters.

Noneoftheabove on