As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry Thread] Will MS' VR headset let you watch yourself or others through Kinect?

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Son of a bitch.

forumsig.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Except 'Xbox Live Gold' free will never happen as it's a pure cash cow for them pretty much charging for it. It's not even a maybe one day type deal.

Yes I know its a pipe dream and Microsoft will probably never introduce something that friendly, however my point still stands that Microsoft needs to introduce something to consumers for a diskless XBO that makes it a selling option above the standard console for it to work. Something id say that previous attempt at an all digital console the PSP Go didn't have.

If everything stays the same right now, the $100 price drop is the consumer hook.

Its $100 hundred dollars cheaper! That totally makes up for all of the used games you won't be able to buy for it for the next decade....and anything you want that we don't put on our marketplace....or gets taken down from the marketplace before you can buy it.....

Snide attitude aside, the concept would clearly cater for the consumers that aren't worried about such cases and pick value over rhe risk. Granted, I think they would need to do a lot more to make the option appealing - add a much bigger hard drive, fill in the gaps in the online library, make the costs for the digital versions suck less, etc. - but the concept itself isn't inherently shitty, in my opinion.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Well let's be honest here, Remember Me was a HUGE risk for a brand new developer. It was a big mainstream game, and while it may have been bloated a bit with Capcom's hype, the sheer size of that game and the attention surrounding it made it a complete 'sink or swim' scenario for the studio. It's a shame, but it's a very bad business decision. It's happened before... look at 38 Studios. You don't start by spending too much trying to make a runaway hit, you build up to it.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Yeesh, Dontnod Entertainment is so new they don't even have a wikipedia page yet.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time biting on this rumor. Cutting out the drive to make a cheaper console is something you do three or four years into the console life, not six months in.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Except 'Xbox Live Gold' free will never happen as it's a pure cash cow for them pretty much charging for it. It's not even a maybe one day type deal.

Yes I know its a pipe dream and Microsoft will probably never introduce something that friendly, however my point still stands that Microsoft needs to introduce something to consumers for a diskless XBO that makes it a selling option above the standard console for it to work. Something id say that previous attempt at an all digital console the PSP Go didn't have.

If everything stays the same right now, the $100 price drop is the consumer hook.

Its $100 hundred dollars cheaper! That totally makes up for all of the used games you won't be able to buy for it for the next decade....and anything you want that we don't put on our marketplace....or gets taken down from the marketplace before you can buy it.....

Snide attitude aside, the concept would clearly cater for the consumers that aren't worried about such cases and pick value over rhe risk. Granted, I think they would need to do a lot more to make the option appealing - add a much bigger hard drive, fill in the gaps in the online library, make the costs for the digital versions suck less, etc. - but the concept itself isn't inherently shitty, in my opinion.

So if they fix all of the things that make the concept inherently shitty, then it won't be inherently shitty? I would agree. But they're not going to do that.

Yea, I figured that MS would slowly work to re-establish all of the crazy things they started with this generation, but a year in seems way too fast to make this revision.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    It's not like there isn't a precedent with MS and multiple MULTIPLE versions of their hardware. I mean didn't they launch with 3 different versions of the 360?

I don't think it's a stretch to think they're working on various configurations. There absolutely is a base of consumers who would have no problem buying a digital-only XBO, and if that sways them from "maybe thinking about buying" to "would definitely buy" then it's worth MS's effort.

Gyral wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time biting on this rumor. Cutting out the drive to make a cheaper console is something you do three or four years into the console life, not six months in.

Think about all of the other bat shit crazy things Microsoft has done regarding the marketing of the Xbox One since its initial reveal. I totally wouldn't put it past them to have an irrational corporate freak out over being $100 dollars more than the PS4 and the PS4 pulling a lead over them during Christmas, not to mention if they're worried about the PS4 having potential total backwards compatibility.

I'm sorry... I know I'm derailing things a bit, but I have to say that you having THAT name and not having an image to go along with it is a crime. It is a moral imperative that you give yourself a proper avatar to fit that glorious name. Here, I'll even give you a recommendation.

31-blessed-415.jpg

Now get to work, and don't disappoint me.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I have a screengrab from a Have I Got News For You episode that I normally use, but I'm still looking for it!

So if they fix all of the things that make the concept inherently shitty, then it won't be inherently shitty? I would agree. But they're not going to do that.

My only problem with your earlier statement was that it sounded rather melodramatic for a situation that... doesn't really apply most of the time (game availability, which afaik is fairly robust if the 360 library is anything to go by)

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I have trouble seeing the value conscious really going for a driveless console. I haven't noticed (or paid attention to) MS adopting heavy discounting of older digital titles. Long run you'll end up paying more unless you're the kind of gamer who day 1's everything anyway. If you're that kind of gamer then $100 is not that big of a cost.

I think the subsidized contract option that was played with late in the 360's tenure would be a much better idea for them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I haven't noticed (or paid attention to) MS adopting heavy discounting of older digital titles.

MS has had some good sales lately (for Gold members). For example, they were selling Tales of Vesperia for $5 earlier this month.

Sony is still by far the best of the three for digital discounts though.

I haven't noticed (or paid attention to) MS adopting heavy discounting of older digital titles.

MS has had some good sales lately (for Gold members). For example, they were selling Tales of Vesperia for $5 earlier this month.

Sony is still by far the best of the three for digital discounts though.

This is true. All three companies have gotten into regular discounts and sales on their digital games, but Sony still blows the other two away with PS+.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I was thinking about the rumor, and while it seems crazy it kind of makes sense with the mindset of the current version of Microsoft. That is, the company is trying its damndest to be Apple and "think different" but kind of forgets what normal humans would want in the process. Just like Windows 8. Everyone bitched about the lack of a Start button in the original version, so they brought it back in 8.1.... only without any of the functionality that everyone liked about it in the first place, and would have been violently obvious to include in the new Start button assuming you live outside of a bubble.

By the same token, there could be a faction within Microsoft that still strongly believes in an all-digital wonderland. Supposedly the One wasn't going to have a disk drive at all. It could be that this faction still has enough influence to make the decision that a diskless One makes more sense than a Kinectless one. Never mind the fact that almost no one is actually developing for the thing.

Hm. Honest question -- do people who own Ones still tout the Kinect controls for media as an awesome thing, or do most people go "oh, cool I guess" and then go back to using buttons?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I was thinking about the rumor, and while it seems crazy it kind of makes sense with the mindset of the current version of Microsoft. That is, the company is trying its damndest to be Apple and "think different" but kind of forgets what normal humans would want in the process. Just like Windows 8. Everyone bitched about the lack of a Start button in the original version, so they brought it back in 8.1.... only without any of the functionality that everyone liked about it in the first place, and would have been violently obvious to include in the new Start button assuming you live outside of a bubble.

By the same token, there could be a faction within Microsoft that still strongly believes in an all-digital wonderland. Supposedly the One wasn't going to have a disk drive at all. It could be that this faction still has enough influence to make the decision that a diskless One makes more sense than a Kinectless one. Never mind the fact that almost no one is actually developing for the thing.

Hm. Honest question -- do people who own Ones still tout the Kinect controls for media as an awesome thing, or do most people go "oh, cool I guess" and then go back to using buttons?

It's also an interesting experiment worth trying because we are eventually headed that way with consoles, just look at Steam. It's an expensive but surefire way to get info on a digital-only living room console.

The only issue is that the XBone is heavily geared towards the US market, and that's precisely the market with bandwidth issues that will suffer a lot from 30+GB game downloads.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • sockssocks Registered User regular

I definitely use voice commands to get around the UI or start up a new game. Sure, if I'm at the Home screen, it's just as easy to use the controller to start up a game, but I love being able to instantly switch from a game I'm playing to another using my voice. It's also awesome to turn the console on with your voice. Sure, none of this is necessary, but I really enjoy using the voice commands.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    No disk drive xbox one could work. There were some people hyped about the cloud and the always online console. If it would have cost $300 to sony's $400 I wouldn't have cared about MS's cloud/always online stuff, I would have bought it. Now people have the option to go entirely digital and save money? Seems like a decent idea to throw an SKU out to see how it does.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Seeing as how I'm planning on going purely digital when I get my Xbone a disc-driveless system for cheaper would be something I'd be interested in.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Just as long as Microsoft continues to release disc based games and sell the SKU with the drive, I don't see what the problem is with a driveless option.

For the most part the problems people seem to have with the idea are imaginary anyway. As far as I know digital titles have been same day as the disc versions on the Xbox One. So no problem with a lack of titles. The hard drive issue can be easily fixed once external harddrives are allowed (which is coming), and as has been pointed out digital sales are becoming a more and more commonplace thing on all the consoles. If this is the way they're going (and so far there hasn't been any solid evidence of that), I wouldn't be surprised if the driveless version didn't allow for some of the nice features the always online was going to allow (mainly family sharing of digital games), while the version with the drive will not be able to use those features.

So as long as there's the option of getting a One that still has disc based, non-always online games, what's the problem with releasing a driveless version?

Or is this just all fear that Microsoft is going to change their mind on the One's DRM for disc based games? Because Microsoft has to know at this point that that's just not happening this generation. They may be slightly out of touch with consumers, but they're not stupid. They can't change the system in that way after release without completely killing the brand.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    That's why this is so weird that they'd try it now, for it to be an attractive draw, it would need to be cheaper than the PS4, but as of now it'll be the same price, which doesn't really offer any incentive to purchase it instead of a PS4.

At best someone would pick the discless Xbox One over the regular Xbox One to save $100 bucks, but in that scenario they were going to buy an Xbox One to begin with.

I guess the question would be, which option would alienate the least number of people? The people looking forward to a new type of media interaction, or the people who expect their consoles to have a disk drive? Personally I think option two is the riskier one at this point in time. Sure, we're seeing increased digital purchases, but until any given AAA game sells much more digitally than on disk, any attempt to cut the cord could backfire.

Though there's always the wrinkle of Microsoft offering both a disk-based and a non-disk One simultaneously. That could satisfy the small but growing number of people willing to go digital. Or it could wind up alienating everyone and make potential disk buyers think that Microsoft would soon end support. It's a risk.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I guess the question would be, which option would alienate the least number of people? The people looking forward to a new type of media interaction, or the people who expect their consoles to have a disk drive? Personally I think option two is the riskier one at this point in time. Sure, we're seeing increased digital purchases, but until any given AAA game sells much more digitally than on disk, any attempt to cut the cord could backfire.

Though there's always the wrinkle of Microsoft offering both a disk-based and a non-disk One simultaneously. That could satisfy the small but growing number of people willing to go digital. Or it could wind up alienating everyone and make potential disk buyers think that Microsoft would soon end support. It's a risk.

Offering both is the only way this has a shot of working. If they pull a Sony and phase out the disc based console... well they get whatever's coming to them.

Another wrinkle in doing so just occurred to me: The danger of actually offering both systems at once. Mainly, the danger of "I thought I was buying the disc console and instead bought the discless by mistake". We've long established people are stupid. You could colour the box completely different and slap a giant sticker on it, people will still make that mistake.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Offering both is the only way this has a shot of working. If they pull a Sony and phase out the disc based console... well they get whatever's coming to them.

Another wrinkle in doing so just occurred to me: The danger of actually offering both systems at once. Mainly, the danger of "I thought I was buying the disc console and instead bought the discless by mistake". We've long established people are stupid. You could colour the box completely different and slap a giant sticker on it, people will still make that mistake.

That's true. We're in a world where the general market can't easily tell the difference between a Wii and a Wii U. Microsoft would have to be VERY careful on how they present it.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Second question for the disc less version is who is going to retail that? Consoles have very little margin on them for retailers, they make it up on game sales. Which with a discless version they won't really see any of...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • sockssocks Registered User regular
    Second question for the disc less version is who is going to retail that? Consoles have very little margin on them for retailers, they make it up on game sales. Which with a discless version they won't really see any of...

Good point. Microsoft Stores only?

Not to mention the PSP Go already poisoned that well something fierce.

Chances are they will need to up the margins for retailers, and try to make up for it in digital sales (which won't need to pay anything to retailers and won't ever be resold.)

Or go full digital: Digital-only console only available in online store(s).

steam_sig.png( < . . .

I can just now see a Gamestop employee selling one of these discless systems and breaking down when confronted with the paradox of trying to upsell the customer on pre-ordering something or telling them about current special deals on store credit with current trade ins.

Gamestop employees are robots is what I'm saying.

edited January 2014
    I could see the driveless version being a smaller release deal with the disc based version was their main SKU. Or possibly have the driveless version be an online only offer, or even be their subscription offer in a year or two. And, considering that DD isn't going anywhere, if the driveless version flopped, people who did buy it wouldn't have to worry about lack of support for their console.

It all depends. But there's absolutely no chance of them phasing out the discs this early this generation. Offering the option of a DD only console isn't the same as phasing out the disc based one. I could see in 6 or 7 years at the end of the console's lifecycle, but now? The thing just got released.

As far as the confusing consumers, I'd hope they'd do something dramatic with the name of the driveless version. Not just "Xbox One DD" or something, but be very clear "Xbox One XBoxLive Only". You know, XOXO. Or the none joke option "Xbox One Online Only"

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited January 2014
    Xbox One-Half

or

Xbox 1/2

I can't decide which looks better.

Viskod on
    Xbox One-Half

or

Xbox 1/2

I can't decide which looks better.

XBox One-Line

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Remember when this thread speculated about the possibility of Sony nixing the B-R drive from the PS3 so they could be competitive vs. the 360?

Good times. Alternatively: The more things change the more they stay the same.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Third question: What would the consumer response to this be? Price drop/model change after 12 months or less, desperation/firesale/Microsoft doom? or great deal for me as a consumer?

nusu on
    Xbox One-Vision

Fried chicken.

No I don't.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Xbox One RD (Remove Disc)

Then the abbreviation can be XBONERD

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Wasn't there a comment from someone at MS about their digital pricing (I think, although it may have been release dates), saying they have plans to improve things? I'd need to dig back through the past couple of weeks of news stories, but if it's true, that could be interesting if they're planning to get aggressive on digital pricing.

But without the quote (unless someone else can find it) this is unrefined speculation.

edit: ahhhhhhh, it was Major Nelson's Reddit AMA:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1vy7ol/what_infuriates_me_more_than_not_being_able_to/
    I hope it includes competitive pricing for digital downloads, because it does feel like we are being punished for downloading digitally. I have been of the strong opinion that you guys are going to take care of this fairly soon. I know there are a lot of things high on the priority lists for X1 and I don't mind that those things are taken care of first, but it should be on the agenda.
    Is is indeed on the agenda.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    They've improved some. Over the last half-year they've started offering two free games per month as well as weekly sales.

But they're going to have to do better if they're going to compete with Steam (as a diskless console certainly would) as well as the PS4 (which is cheaper, has better sales and a disk drive).

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Here's the source of where we left off in the previous iteration of the thread:
    So, there's apparently some rumors coming out that Microsoft will release a $399 Xbox.

"Cool," you say "Finally I don't have to buy that kinect."

Hold on there, padre. There's nothing in the rumor about it not having kinect. It be the BLU-RAY drive that Microsoft is going to make walk the plank.

Personally, if that's accurate, I can't believe they won't just toss the Kinect as well and put out a $350 or $300 box at that point.

Oops, forgot the source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon?utm_reader=feedly

People are arguing that Blu-Ray isn't required for media centers, and others disagree.

I said not necessarily for a reason. Some people may not require one. That's it and I'm not sure why you are trying to make more of it then that.

One can base a media altar around a good cable package and Netflix or the like. Shit, I know alot of people who don't really buy movies anymore in physical form. That doesn't mean everyone does, obviously, but it's a segment of the market that exists and can be catered too.

Plus, you know, the fact that anyone who is really into physical movie copies basically 100% for sure already has a player. And can just plug that into the X1.

A lack of a blu-ray drive is not an unbridgeable impediment to the X1 being a media centre.
    Well...1. does netflix et al still require gold? 2. How much does an apple TV or whatever the android equivalent is now cost?

How much does a blu-ray player cost? If the cost of an alternative for that media function was relevant, the lack of playing movies wouldn't matter.

This discussion has been closed.