As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some good horror films

2»

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    pacbowl wrote: »
    So [rec] is like Quarantine? It's in Spanish, right? Is there a subbed version? I watched Quarantine the other day and it was pretty scary, but felt like Dawn of the Dead contained in a building.

Yes, yes and yes to the first. The basic premise doesn't change by going back to the original, though, so you might not like that for the same reasons.

Also, I agree that Susperia probably doesn't fit what the OP is looking for.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    The 1990 film version of Stephen King's "It". Scared me witless personally. Or "The Mist", which is also brilliant and nerveracking

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    ColtaineColtaine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Devils Backbone.

More of a ghost story then a horror. Spainish file by Del Toro, ( Hellboy director).

Coltaine on
    I am feeling unusually loquacious. Thus.

As many-handed as a cuttlefish.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The 1990 version of It is indeed terrifying. Tim Curry nails Pennywise.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jacob's Ladder

</thread>

Sliver on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    films not yet mentioned - not all are terrifying but none are horror-comedy -

jaws
    dawn of the dead remake
    the wicker man
    carrie
    psycho
    the birds

you guys already listed most of the good ones. tons of good films mentioned, but i'll second the mist(very surprisingly good) and in the mouth of madness(lesser known, carpenter is hit or miss for me but this one was awesome)

also session 9 wasn't that great (and i used to live down the street from danvers state)

wait, which Wicker Man

because the remake is definitely a comedy

not a horror-comedy, just straight up comedy

the original. the remake is only worth watching because nicholas cage punches out a woman while wearing a bear suit

JeffH on
  • Options
    HenriettaCollinsHenriettaCollins Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    behind the mask
    hatchet
    otis (has some scary moments, def worth watching)
    may
    quarantine-- lots of build up, good pay off. just don't write it off for the first 20 min.
    i second ginger snaps, ginger snaps 2 is good as well but the prequel is weird...
    black sheep actually has some scares in it
    feast (and you get to see henry rollins in pink girl pants xD)

HenriettaCollins on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I remember coming close to actually pissing myself when I first saw that film and when I first saw Pennywise between the sheets on that clothesline. Or is that a different version I'm thinking of? Either way, it's piss-your-kidneys-out scary. For me at least cause I'm a wuss that's easily frightened.

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sliver wrote: »
    Jacob's Ladder

</thread>

As far as something that has "a real life possibly" then this is your movie (for the most part).

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KeyScourge wrote: »
    I remember coming close to actually pissing myself when I first saw that film and when I first saw Pennywise between the sheets on that clothesline. Or is that a different version I'm thinking of? Either way, it's piss-your-kidneys-out scary. For me at least cause I'm a wuss that's easily frightened.

Part of me really wants to see a good movie that adapts everything from the book, and the other part of me is far too scared to even contemplate watching such a film.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    KeyScourge wrote: »

Part of me really wants to see a good movie that adapts everything from the book, and the other part of me is far too scared to even contemplate watching such a film.
    I had that reaction when the film version of The Mist came out. I wanted to see it cause the book is so amazing, but I didn't want to see it becaus I get scared ridiculously easily (I'm terrified by the film Donnie Darko, for example). But I'm glad I did see it.

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    gnome kinggnome king Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    'Eden Lake'

Pretty scary and messed up, helps that it's plausible.

Edit: just noticed you wrote
    Areté wrote: »
    also i am definitely more into the suspense and eeeeee! kinda scary/horror than straight up gore flicks, especially horror movies that are fuck ass scary because it is a situation that could actually happen.

In that case I recommend 'Eden Lake' even more, it gets out of hand and freaked me out :D

I've heard a lot of good things about 'The Orphanage' as well but have yet to see it myself.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man did I mention Ravenous? A suspense-thriller about cannibalism set at the end of the Mexican-American war. Guy Pearce and David Arquette make this movie quite the joy.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You probably won't sleep for weeks after watching Audition. That movie is completely fucked up.

But not scary. Horrific - hell yes. But not scary mentally in the way that ringu actively had me forcing myself to walk down a dark corridor to bed.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japans_frightening_five_scariest_7632 was linked to me about 10 mins agon on msn - so I'll pop it here.

Edit - was linked by the poster below, to whom I linked this, and now is here. So credit where it is due :p

<3

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    BecclescakeBecclescake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seconding "It". Tim Curry really does make the film. That laugh ... *twitches*

I went through a phase a month or so ago of J-horror love so I can recommend Ringu (and to be fair the American remake isn't too bad as a stand-alone film, but is just in no way as creepy as the original. It does get extra points for Brian Cox being in it), Dark Water and Ju-On (The Grudge). Also Gin Gwai (The Eye, which I believe is Chinese ...) They're more pant-wetting suspense / creepy films (which I love). Go for Audition for sheer messed up-ness.

Also: I know black comedy / horror isn't really what you're looking for, but if you ever change your mind I highly recommend Severance to anyone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464196/).

Enjoying this thread - I might check some of the films out myself! :D

Becclescake on
  • Options
    moveezmanmoveezman Registered User new member
    Hands down the scariest, creepiest, crap your pants movie currently is 'Shallow Creek Cult'. Its on DVD on amazon and on a few streaming sites. As for the old school stuff, you can't go wrong with the original blob with young Steve McQueen.

• Options
    moveezmanmoveezman Registered User new member
    edited February 2014
    A few quotes from Shallow Creek Cult.

Getty Carmichael: How can you eat that shit man?
    Jessie Carmichael(eating canned peaches): Its all right, its in a can.
    Getty Carmichael: Yeah, its in a can, in a house, where there's a head in the bathtub.

Quote #2:

Getty Carmichael: Why would they take the kid?
    Jessie Carmichael: I don't know Getty, maybe they needed a snack for the road or something...What do I know?

moveezman on
This discussion has been closed.