As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Pals Gaming: Killer Pinstinct

• Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Wow, shirts sold out already, or is that a store error?

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    Got my email... woot, I feel this pin is worth more just cause of having to earn it.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Wow, shirts sold out already, or is that a store error?
    It's by size. So for the Combo Breaker t-shirt, Small, X-Large, and 4X-Large are sold out, other sizes are still available

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Anyone tried out spinal yet? I wasn't expecting this kind of speed and flow. Feels gooooood XD

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    NinjaLunchBox79NinjaLunchBox79 Registered User regular
    Well I received my promo code for Jan challenge, but no confirmation of a successful registration. Guessing it worked ..... has anyone experienced the bug/glitch with throwing anyone in jail now? After the update there are people getting all there stats wiped clean, everything included completed fight titles! Also when playing ranked the person that doesn't rage quit will be thrown in the 24 hour jail status. Double Helix has dropped the ball so many times on this game it is ridiculous. It is an incomplete game, no story mode, no stage fatalities, or character fatalities, every update comes out with more problems. Its like they don't test anything ...... they need to quit playing around & get the game fully released.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Well yea it is incomplete. MS wanted it out for launch. Not DH's fault.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    You also don't have to pay for it if you don't want to.

• Options
    NinjaLunchBox79NinjaLunchBox79 Registered User regular
    Yea, I understand that I didn't have to pay for it ..... despite the games hiccups it can be enjoyable. Without the inclusion of a story mode they should heave never released it till it was complete. Did MS rush them? No they had a deadline to meet & DH did not fulfill it. You can dig up stuff on the net that this happens more than often with DH. Oh well, next month we'll get Fulgore & story mode.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I still don't understand whatever hiccups everyone talks about. I have yet to have any issues with the game itself besides people quitting ranked matches. Everything else will come in due time. It doesn't NEED a story mode. It is a fighting game. Ranked and exhibition matches are there. Every game doesn't need to be MK/Injustice. (Not that I wouldn't love that to be a fighting game genre staple now.)

edit: BTW, today is hourly comic drawing day. My first one was at 3am and included Max and that got me like 3 followers and other stuff. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Same here, not sure what else could be added beyond extra content padding... Granted, i am in no means an expert in fighting games, but to me, the fundamentals are all there. Nothing missing in the fighting mechanics beyond tweaks and updates. Online modes, offline VS a competent enough CPU, an AMAZINGLY in depth training mode, easily the best i have seen in a fighting game, no story mode but....does this really matter? and characters to be added in coming months.

I dont know double helix history but id have to agree with the 'MS pushing it out the door for launch' idea

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    The fact that we got alternate costume pieces for free is fantastic. I use the tree pieces for Glacious and his green color. I feel like Swamp Thing.

If anyone ever wants to battle, add me on One. Redfield85.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The fact is,
    redfield85 wrote: »
    It doesn't NEED a story mode. It is a fighting game. Ranked and exhibition matches are there. Every game doesn't need to be MK/Injustice. (Not that I wouldn't love that to be a fighting game genre staple now.)
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Same here, not sure what else could be added beyond extra content padding... Granted, i am in no means an expert in fighting games, but to me, the fundamentals are all there.

Not everyone has the same gaming tastes - not every gamer wants to only play multiplayer games all the time. I for one prefer a story/arcade mode that is perfectly balanced to get more challenging as you fight all the characters one time each until you reach a boss and beat the game, with a minimum of story to tie it all together. Every fighting game has had this type of mode in it, until now. In a fighting game I prefer to use multiplayer as a fun extra thing to do once in a while, not the core gameplay.

• Options
    The fact is,
    It doesn't NEED a story mode. It is a fighting game. Ranked and exhibition matches are there. Every game doesn't need to be MK/Injustice. (Not that I wouldn't love that to be a fighting game genre staple now.)
    Same here, not sure what else could be added beyond extra content padding... Granted, i am in no means an expert in fighting games, but to me, the fundamentals are all there.

Not everyone has the same gaming tastes - not every gamer wants to only play multiplayer games all the time. I for one prefer a story/arcade mode that is perfectly balanced to get more challenging as you fight all the characters one time each until you reach a boss and beat the game, with a minimum of story to tie it all together. Every fighting game has had this type of mode in it, until now. In a fighting game I prefer to use multiplayer as a fun extra thing to do once in a while, not the core gameplay.

These are all valid complaints, but the thing is it wasn't NEW news that Killer Instinct wouldn't have a story off the bat. It was announced back in August, well before the Xbox had even come out, that they said a story wouldn't be something fans would be seeing at launch. Maybe they could have delayed the game a bit, but for a story mode? In a fighting game? Besides the fact that only Injustice/MK have real story lines that you can follow, aside from the usual "Beat this guy because JUSTICE/REVENGE", that's EXTREMELY unlikely to happen.

• Options
    MK and injustice are the only ones that come to my mind that have a significant, memorable story. Any other fighting game, tekken, MVC, dead or alive, street fighter, to me, those ALL felt bare boned and tacked on, literally just to have the story mode box ticked off. I think theres a reason for it too, other than 'players wont care for one.' In these games, the gameplay loop consists of ONLY fighting one dude after another.

What im trying to say is its not a game breaker that a story mode isnt there for now. Its fully functional without it. Of course it would be good to have, but in genres like fighting games, competitive shooters, MOBAs, puzzle, racing and sports games, the gameplay is the defining aspect of the game, compared to RPGs and action adventures, where the story IS the defining factor as it gives context to the entire package.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    What I'm saying is it most definitely *is* a game breaker for a lot of people, because it's missing a key gameplay element to all previous fighting games. I love this game's gameplay mechanics and characters and all, yet I don't play it much, because all it is right now is a boring survival mode and multiplayer, which as I said not everyone is an uber fan of all multiplayer all the time. If it weren't for the pin collecting aspect, there's no way I would have bought this game as-is. The gameplay is the defining factor in the game, and the gameplay for single-player mode is currently not very good, because the game shipped incomplete to make launch and try to make more money from in-app purchases.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    I don't get it. Honestly, what's the difference between story mode and survival mode? A Boss Character? A 30 second cutscene?

• Options
    Pretty much.

I can understand the criticism for other genres, but I dunno. You can play versus against every character and get the same gameplay you are looking for (minus story and a boss). I just look at fighting games as if you don't want to fight others, why fight at all? BUT, opinions.

I do hope the story/arcade mode has some fun reading/cutscenes though. Personally, I felt like everything we got to start was worth the Pin Ultimate. I was having a blast for the most part (minus the quitters). Now we get free characters, outfits, and other things. Great deal compared to every other fighting game nickle and diming us for cosmetics.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    What I'm saying is it most definitely *is* a game breaker for a lot of people, because it's missing a key gameplay element to all previous fighting games. I love this game's gameplay mechanics and characters and all, yet I don't play it much, because all it is right now is a boring survival mode and multiplayer, which as I said not everyone is an uber fan of all multiplayer all the time. If it weren't for the pin collecting aspect, there's no way I would have bought this game as-is. The gameplay is the defining factor in the game, and the gameplay for single-player mode is currently not very good, because the game shipped incomplete to make launch and try to make more money from in-app purchases.

You can consider it a game breaker, but in reality, it really isn't. Fighting games are mainly made for their community, and I personally don't know anyone who buys a fighting game with the express purpose of not playing it online and fighting people.

• Options
    What is a gamebreaker is this busted patch they put out with Spinal. Apparently, Skeleporting in the corner with Spinal on some stages will lock up the game. I was then thrown in Jail for 24 hrs.

• Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    What is a gamebreaker is this busted patch they put out with Spinal. Apparently, Skeleporting in the corner with Spinal on some stages will lock up the game. I was then thrown in Jail for 24 hrs.
    Ouch, that sucks. Yeah that needs to get fixed like yesterday

f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't realize how poopy the current patch is until I watched Max's video on it. I'll stick to Glacious until they resolve that.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    I got jailed for the other guy DC'ing... and it was the first time it's happened...isn't the dc percentage supposed to be over 15% for jailing?

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    Yep, same happened to me, probably not going to play for a while until they fix this mess

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Lame pun intended........ 'cool'

:P

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Not crazy about this one actually, seems very... dull.

• Options
    There isn't much to go on with glacius though, just a tall blue man with no face, his standing position is even quite ordinary tbh.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options

So good! I seriously can't wait for this one.

• Options
    I am getting these no matter what.

I do wish that it was a more actiony pose, but that is pretty much a Glacious pose, so I'm happy with it.

What are the guesses for the other pin? Obviously "Ultra" will be one. Basically, anything the announcer says. "Ultra-a-a" "Shadow Counter" "Supreme Victory" "Counter Breaker" What else am I missing besides combo tier names?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I want to see one that represents shadow moves somehow. Possibly pick a well known one like Jagos Endouken, big fireball with with a long fire trail behind it, maybe use something like the 'foil' on TCG cards for the shadow effect

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    If they do make the arcade mode and have a boss character, they potentially could have a bonus character pin on the right side of the display.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    TheHonestHippoTheHonestHippo MicrosoftRegistered User regular
    I like the ideas being presented. And I am happy that we are not far off from our plans with the pins.

Twitter: @HonestHippo
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Amazon buys Killer Instinct devs.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/5/5384672/report-double-helix-games-acquired-by-amazon

Looks like we may be in for a rocky future in regards to future updates and Season 2.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    vid wrote: »
    Looks like we may be in for a rocky future in regards to future updates and Season 2.
    Update: In a statement, a Microsoft spokesperson told Polygon that Microsoft Studios will be working with a "new development partner" on Killer Instinct for Xbox One.

"We have thoroughly enjoyed working with Double Helix and wish them success in their next endeavor," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We want all of our loyal fans to know that the Killer Instinct team at Microsoft is not changing and that the franchise will remain with Microsoft Studios. We remain dedicated to delivering a great experience and plan to announce our new development partner soon. We're excited about the future of this popular franchise."

Hmmm..

• Options
    As long as the current patch is fixed up I am fine. Obviously the Pin Ultimate won't be affected.
    I like the ideas being presented. And I am happy that we are not far off from our plans with the pins.

I mean, what else is there? Characters, famous quotes in the game.....stages? I would see a landscape pin for stages, but I think that means we wouldn't get everyone's stage (if you go by the display...I think).

A character doing a shadow move would definitely fit in.

I think a rage quit pin would be fitting. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Ooh, one for the new 'jail' system could be a troll behind bars

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Ooh, one for the new 'jail' system could be a troll behind bars
    Maybe it was just DH having a laugh on their way out

f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    I suppose it isn't surprising, but I'm amused that the new KI pins have the Merch backing on them just like the rest.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Honesthippo can you shed some light on the new purchase by amazon? What's happening with the future of KI, are any of DH devs staying at microsoft to keep working on it or is it a completely new team

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    TheHonestHippoTheHonestHippo MicrosoftRegistered User regular
    We have known for a while and prepared accordingly. Microsoft believes in the franchise and will continue fully supporting it.
    Yeah, that's the approved PR message and unfortunately I cannot disclose more.

All I can say is keep calm and shadow counter.

Twitter: @HonestHippo