As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] 13th Age: Darskye-fall: Into the Wild Wood

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Give me a d20 roll to see if you can disengage and we can go from there?
    Based on sneak attack rules in 13th age, though, the enemy only needs to be engaged with one or more of your allies. So you would get the +1d4 against the old man if you hit with an attack.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 for disengaging

disengaging:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    You can break free and provoke an attack of opportunity, or stab at him from where you are

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think I should probably have taken the elemental weapon feat first, thinking about it some more, as I doubt anything is going to try that hard to disengage from me yet.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Sorry about the wait. Computer died and I lost all my digital books, including 13th Age.

The nimble rogue tries to back away from the Old Man, but there seems to be more to him as the Man follows. "Got a thing for me? Im flattered but Im not easy." Farkas does a quick spin, trying to get inside the Old Man's defenses.
    Basic Attack

Geth roll 1d20+5 to hit

Geth roll 1d8+4 for damage

to hit:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    damage:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]

edited January 2014
    I forgot to tell you guys that since the second round has started, the escalation die is at 1 now. So your 17 is an 18, which just hits! 9 damage to that fool!

@Auralynx , next time you guys get an incremental advance you can adjust your class features or feats or whatever.

Will try to put up a post soon. Things hectic. Sorry!

Erin The Red on
    edited January 2014
    Farkas' spin catches the leader off guard just long enough for his blade to slice across the bastard's gut with a wet slicing sound. The man drops to one knee and moans in agony. After a few breaths he manages to collect himself and rise shakily to his feet. "Sorry, lad. I don't swing that way," he says with an unhappy grin. "I do swing THIS way, though!" he says shortly before bringing his own sword around to connect with Farkas' midsection. The wound isn't fatal but it is by no means pleasant.

Initiative Block
    Bandits: 21
    Farkas: 17
    Old Man: 17
    Talfryn: 16 <---
    Thugs: 16
    Clank: 15
    Barthas: 12
    Yancey: 10
    Proof: 4

Stats
    Bandits: MOOKS - 14/25 HP - AC16, PD14, MD11 - +3 damage with next attack that hits
    Dark Hero: 13/34 HP - AC18, PD16, MD12 - Staggered
    Thug1: 6/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - Staggered - +3 damage with next attack that hits
    Thug2: 13/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends) - Staggered - +3 damage with next attack that hits

Barthas - 17/21 HP - AC16, PD12, MD12 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Clank - 16/24 HP - AC17, PD14, MD14 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Proof - 24/24 HP - AC13, PD12, MD11 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Farkas - 12/21 HP - AC13, PD13, MD11 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Talfryn - 30/30 HP - AC16, PD14, MD11 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Yancey - 21/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD13 - Now do 3 damage on miss, Can reroll one attack this battle.

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for against Farkas 13 ac (6 damage on hit)

Turn:
    Old man takes 9 damage from Farkas' hit (now staggered)
    Old man hits Farkas for 6 damage - All non-leader enemies now do 3 extra damage with the next attack that hits.

r2oldman_zps71e5f8b0.png

hit):
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]

Erin The Red on
    @Kilroy The field of combat is yours to control. Remember to add +1 to your attack rolls due to the escalation die!

A gentle reminder prod to @Kilroy

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Whoops, I did not see that first notification at all. Sorry! I'm writing a post now

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Talfryn, angered by his failure to break the old man's defenses, and by seeing his companions injured, flies into the fury for which he was named. "You ignore me at your own risk, deceiver!" he shouts as he brings his sword crashing down once again.

Quick action: start raging

Geth roll 2#1d20+6 for Basic Attack
    Geth roll 1d8+6 for Damage

Basic Attack:
    2#1d20+6 2 # 20 [1d20=14] 13 [1d20=7]
    Damage:
    1d8+6 8 [1d8=2]

"Deceiver? Its kinda your fault for being so gullible in the first place. Old Man on a road leading towards a prison. That should have raised a few flags. Luckly, I saw through the ruse quickly."

edited January 2014
    The old man shouts in pain as the Elf's blade cuts him deeply. Copious amounts of blood are streaming from his various wounds. "You... you'll regret that."

Elsewhere on the battlefield, the two burlier thugs are trying their luck to see if they can do some damage. "Would you lot just shut up and die, already? Lich King's not payin' us for chit chat." The firs thug's mace crashes heavily into Barthas, roughly knocking the wind out of him. He doubles over momentarily trying to get air into his aching lungs. The other thug's not as lucky. As he tries to take a swing at Yancey, his own arm bursts into flame and he diverts his attentions to putting it out. So far, he hasn't had any luck getting the flames to dissipate any.

Hit on Barthas, Miss on Yancey.
    Thug1 does his normal 4 damage, +3 more from the Dark Hero's boost.

Initiative Block
    Farkas: 17
    Talfryn: 16
    Clank: 15<--

Stats
    Bandits: MOOKS - 14/25 HP - AC16, PD14, MD11 - +3 damage with next attack that hits
    Dark Hero: 5/34 HP - AC18, PD16, MD12 - Staggered
    Thug1: 6/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - Staggered
    Thug2: 8/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends) - Staggered - +3 damage with next attack that hits

Barthas - 10/21 HP - AC16, PD12, MD12 - Now do 3 damage on miss - Staggered
    Clank - 16/24 HP - AC17, PD14, MD14 - Now do 3 damage on miss
    Yancey - 21/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD13 - Now do 3 damage on miss, Can reroll one attack this battle.
    r2oldman_zps71e5f8b0.png

Geth, roll 2#1d20+5 for AC on Barthas, Yancey

AC:
    2#1d20+5 2 # 18 [1d20=13] 7 [1d20=2]

Erin The Red on
    Up next are: @Jdarksun , @BSS , @Auralynx , and @Oats

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Just a reminder, thug 2 is on fire from something. 5 damage and a save.

Oh yeah! Good point.

Geth, roll 1d20 for AUGH IT BURNS

AUGH IT BURNS:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The automaton attempted to regain its footing, but he constant rain of blows caused the arc of the heavy maul to miss its target.

Minion, roll 1d20+7 for Heavy 2H Attack v bandit AC 16
    Minion, roll 1d10+6 for damage

damage:
    1d10+6 9 [1d10=3]

jdarksun on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Minion, roll 1d20+7 for Heavy 2H Attack v bandit AC 16
    I forgot that rolls need to be on separate lines from color blocks.

Heavy 2H Attack v bandit AC 16:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]

edited January 2014
    Gonna see if my breath attack recharges, and then plan around that.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for BotW recharge

Proof still has some frosted brew in his gob, it seems.

BotW recharge:
    1d20+2 19 [1d20=17]

Oats on
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Catching his breath, Barthas glares at the thug in front of him. "I guess the Lich King isn't paying you to keep your mouth shut, either..."

C'mon...

Geth roll 1d20-1 for disengage check

disengage check:
    1d20-1 18 [1d20=19]

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    edited January 2014
    Success! Barthas darts behind Talfryn and prepares to cast some spells.

Killroy don't feel the need to defend me long-term, but if anyone does try to come up and attack me, you can move to intercept if you'd like.

The first spell is a quick prayer to the Lifemaiden (Casting Heal, quick action). Small angelic sprites flit into existence, healing Barthas before dissipating into the air. Rejuvenated, he turns his attention to the bandits assailing Clank. Wispy soldiers, armed with sword and shield, fly from Barthas and silently rush towards the bandits, stoic looks on their faces (Casting Spirits of the Righteous, standard action).

Geth roll 1d8+2 for Heal, using my own recovery
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Spirits of the Righteous vs. bandits' MD
    Geth roll 4d6+4 for holy damage vs. the bandits if I hit

"AUGH!"

Despite the poor showing of the spirits' attack, my nearby ally with the fewest hit points (Farkas) gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of my next turn, as they move to protect him. Whoops, I missed that I fumbled, so the attack has no effect.

Done!

Heal, using my own recovery:
    1d8+2 8 [1d8=6]
    Spirits of the Righteous vs. bandits' MD:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    holy damage vs. the bandits if I hit:
    4d6+4 18 [4d6=5, 1, 5, 3]

bss on
    Waiting on @Oats to finish his turn and @Auralynx to do the whole thing

Breath of Frosted Ale the sequel.
    Geth roll 1d2 for number of targets.

number of targets:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

edited January 2014
    Sweet. 2 again.

Geth roll 2d20+3 for versus PD of Old Man, Thug 1
    Geth roll 3d6+3 for BRRRRR CHILLED ALE

EDIT: That's a 17 and a 10, respectively, because I missed the # between 2 and d20. Six damage each, since it misses both.
    Second Edit: Looks like that's enough to kill Thug the First, unless @TheRoadVirus went back and edited the last stat post.

Proof spits out another gobful of ale, that quickly freezes once outside his mouth.

This seems amazingly unsanitary.

versus MD of Old Man, Thug 1:
    2d20+3 24 [2d20=14, 7]
    BRRRRR CHILLED ALE:
    3d6+3 19 [3d6=6, 5, 5]

Oats on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yancey whales away at Thug 2, connecting with the lightning fountain once more in a glancing blow. The following crack of thunder lays Thug 2 low.

If Proof killed Thug 1, there is no #6, clockwise. See below for the again-lucky reroll; between the 4 Wis mod off that, the 2 from me, and the 3 from the ongoing effect, I think Thug 2 is also down.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Resounding Thunder attack vs Thug 2
    Geth roll 1d10 for Damage?
    Geth roll 1d6 for Random Boom

Resounding Thunder attack vs Thug 2:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    Damage?:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    Random Boom:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Geth roll 1d6 for reroll if Thug 1 dead

reroll if Thug 1 dead:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Is there a handy list of the parameters than can be passed to Geth for dice rolling? I know I've seen a test being done somehow, but I don't recall the syntax.

Will make an update once I get some work stuff under control. @Oats , if you find it, please let me know! I've been trying to use stuff from the Orokos website, but it doesnt seem that everything has made it over just yet

edited January 2014
    Over the course of the past few seconds, flurries of blows and magical energies come from the mighty heroes and fell many of the stronger foes. The few remaining bandits take a swing at clank and then turn tail to run away, consequences be damned. On second thought, though, those swings were a bit wild and the robot looks more than a little bit angry. We should stay here and see this through.
    "Augh! Why won't you lot DIE?" says the second bandit. He was the only one lucky enough to actually score a hit!

Escalation Die: 2

Initiative Block
    Farkas: 17<--
    Talfryn: 16
    Clank: 15

Stats
    Bandits: MOOKS - 11/25 HP - AC16, PD14, MD11 - +3 damage with next attack that hits (1 and 3)
    Dark Hero: 0/34 HP - AC18, PD16, MD12 - DECEASED
    Thug1: 0/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - DECEASED
    Thug2: 0/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD12 - DECEASED - +3 damage with next attack that hits

Barthas - 10/21 HP - AC16, PD12, MD12 - Now do 3 damage on miss - Staggered
    Clank - 9/24 HP - AC17, PD14, MD14 - Now do 3 damage on miss - Staggered

Geth, roll 3#1d20+6 vs Clank 17 AC (4+3 damage on each hit)
    Geth, roll 3#1d20+5 for RUN! (These guys get +5 to disengage checks because they're shifty)

One hit on clank for 7 damage.

t2band_zps5de25a73.png

each hit):
    3#1d20+6 3 # 8 [1d20=2] 25 [1d20=19] 15 [1d20=9]
    RUN! (These guys get +5 to disengage checks for they're shifty):
    3#1d20+5 3 # 7 [1d20=2] 10 [1d20=5] 9 [1d20=4]

Erin The Red on
    Next up is @Grunt's Ghosts Farkas to give these old baddies what for, eh wot?
    Everyone is 'nearby' for the purposes of this fight, so everybody is able to reach everybody else provided there are no opportunity attacks on the way.

Im going to post, just need to sleep first. Expect something this evening.

No rush, man. Don't want this game interfering with life or anything. Sleep is one of the best things. GOODNIGHT SWEET PRINCE

edited February 2014
    Even with their leader dead, the Thug kept fighting. Must be something important for these fool to keep dying for. Farkas moves to get close to one of the mooks with alive. Too busy beating the walking armor to notice me.

It was a simple. Stab in the side the first bandit, spin around to catch the second one's temple, until the last bandit remained, who looked surprised by his friends' sudden demise. "Can't have you leaving and warning your other friends, now." Farkas suddenly leaped up and pounced onto the back of the fleeing man. A quick slash and the bandit moved no more.

"AND THAT'S WHY THERE WILL BE NO MORE TALKING TO STRANGERS ON THIS TRIP!" Farkas yells at the group. "We are going to meet three kinds of people on this road. People escaping prison, people breaking friend's out of prison, and people who will think we are one of those two. Are we clear, boulder breath?"
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for basic attack against bandits

Geth roll 1d8+4 for damage

Geth roll 1d6 for sneak attack damage

basic attack against bandits:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    damage:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]
    sneak attack damage:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    The last assailant drops to the ground with a meaty 'thud' and breathes no more.

The party has some time now to tend to their wounds/dents/whatnot.

What would you like to do?

Why do you ask? LOOOOOOTTTTT!

I'm at 18/21, so I'm good on recoveries.

Actually, I still had a cast of Heal left for the encounter, so if TheRoadVirus doesn't mind, maybe I could cast it on Clank or Farkas now? They'd get a 2 extra HP.

Barthas helps everyone with their wounds, checking bandages and applying salves and the like. Nothing magical recovery-y, just making sure the group's in good order. While doing this, he opines on the attackers. "Well, whichever they were, it does seem like the crazy old man was the brains of the operation, so we should be sure to check him out."

Proof feels sick, and he is oddly quiet. He wanders around a nearby tree and vomits loudly.

"They were just men. Not demons or their spawn. Oh I think I need a moment here boys."

Yancey seems nonplussed by Farkas' outburst but oddly unmoved by the fight itself.

"Wow, you seem mad, guy. You should probably relax. I have this tea that will totally help with that."

Yancey rummages in his baggage for some tea.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

On the old man you find, obviously, the creepy skin mask, as well as a note.

There is a group of initiates trying yo prove themselves to the dragon empire by protecting the island. Murder them. Take their orders. Take their place. Help us take the island. Tell your assistants that their families will be returned safely when all is finished.

There is no signature.

Aside from that you find some crude iron utensils, some twists of paper with spices in them, a few pewter mugs, mundane weapons, and three trail rations.

That's fine, BSS

Upon learning the bulk of the ambush were not objectively bad men, Proof vomits again.