As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3rd Annual The Cult of the Leaf meet up

a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRKRegistered User regular
edited March 2014 in PAX East
All are welcome to join us,weather you smoke cigarettes,cigars,pipes,or what ever you prefer. The event is purely informal, and it is recommended that everyone bring his or her own supplies (but sharing is always encouraged if you bring extra stuff).

where: under the media tower across the street from the convention center
under this thing http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6170094023_2b3eee79c3_b.jpg

when:friday after the convention closes (midnight),if it weather is bad then we will have it saturday same time.

Disclaimers: Smoking age in the US is 18. Drinking alcohol on the streets is illegal for all ages. The importation of Cuban cigars into the United States is illegal in all quantities, no matter how small. While you're welcome to take whatever personal risks you like, methods of circumventing the law should not be discussed on this forum

a fraking toaster on

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Yes.

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    awesome!!!! was there a gathering last year?

• upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    How do I keep up with the when/where? I bet a good cigar is what will make me take a breather from the craziness lol.

there will probably be an official thread sooner or later.last time i met it was in front of the convention center saturday night.it definitely is a nice relaxer to all the awesomeness.

Cool, hopefully Saturday again. Will be sans wife and baby B)

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I kept looking for the event last year, but totally missed it! NOT missing it this year!

signature.png
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I expect we'll probably do it in the same place as last year, under the media tower across the street from the convention center (this thing). That seems to work for people, and there hasn't seemed to be any urge to change things. The time is right after the convention closes (this year is midnight, rather than 2 AM as in prior years). We usually set it as Friday, because that way we can use Saturday as the back-up day if Friday gets rained out. But, if there's an overwhelming desire for it to be Saturday, we can always just take the chance with the weather.

KoalaBro2 on
    bring a coat too,no doubt ital be cold and windy lol

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Hopefully with the midnight closing I'll make this one. I've tried in the past but 2am was too late.

April shouldn't be horrible but good to come prepared :)

yea 2am was really pushing it when i went,it was worth it tho because i had a blast.not to mention the free humidor and cigar samples.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I am hoping to make it this year although it heavily depends on how many parties I go to and my level of.....partying?

would anyone be interested in bringing a few cigars to share with others?im going to try and bring a few myself.

I'll bring a few, never usually walk outta my cigar shop with just one lol.

• reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    I'll see if I can't show this year! Previously, I've been too worn out after the concerts to even think about anything other than crashing into my hotel bed.

• sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Would vapers be welcome? I quit the conventional tobacco a while ago, but I have gotten into the e-cig/hobbyist vaping scene since. If need be I could pack along some cigars to share.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
    yea vapers,pipes,cigars what ever you choose,i think 2 years ago a guy even brought a hookah. i wouldn't suggest bringing a big hookah or a bong tho,no need to attract the 5.0 for no reason.

Haha, if anyone can stomach tobacco rips from a bong... I will feel both sick and amazed.

What's the general majority here as far as robustness of cigars? NY got so expensive, wondering if I should just stop on the drive somewhere in MA?

What used to be a $10 cigar now is more like $15/20!

• UncleangryUncleangry ACAM Volunteer Registered User regular
    I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Always nice to have a herf with new folks.

The American Classic Arcade Museum Inc./, is a 501c3 non-profit corporation registered with the State of New Hampshire, which has been established to promote and preserve the history of coin-operated arcade games.
    Haha, if anyone can stomach tobacco rips from a bong... I will feel both sick and amazed.

What's the general majority here as far as robustness of cigars? NY got so expensive, wondering if I should just stop on the drive somewhere in MA?

What used to be a $10 cigar now is more like $15/20!

MA isn't too much better on pricing. I would stop in CT or RI before you got one here.

agreed,ct would be much cheaper.

• currybotcurrybot I will be HUGE! Tysons, VARegistered User new member
    I could bring a few sticks. A nice Padron, Gurkha or Fuente down here is like $7.

NH has the cheapest in the area, but if you aren't coming from the north it's a bit of a drive.

I'll probably have a few extra cigars with me.

Absolutely agree GhostDan. NH is the best and has some amazing shops. upstateny, there is also the online option. Although, if you don't mind the drive, there are a couple shops around the city as well!

there any cigar shops around the convention center? would be cool take a trip to 1 and see whats around.

Both Stanza Dei Sigari and L.J.Peretti's are about a mile and a half from the BCEC. Neither is easy to walk to though.

ya a mile+ is a bit far to walk.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Last year we took a cab to Leavitt and Peirce on Friday. They have cigars and some FANTASTIC pipe tobacco. We got a couple of great looking pipes (my buddy brought the big Gandalf-style one!) and brought them out but we came out late so most of the crowd had already left. Being earlier this year will be great!

yea i plan on bringing a pipe or 2 as well,iv been smoking my pipe more then then cigars lately.also the pipe that gandalf has is called a churchwarden,my favorite style of pipe lol.

• annarchyjaneannarchyjane Registered User regular
    Is this a private party or is anyone welcome? Don't want to gatecrash ;)

With fingernails that shine like justice / and a voice that is dark like tinted glass
    She is fast and thorough / and sharp as a tack
    She's touring the facility / and picking up slack
    open to everyone

LJ is one of my favorite shops of all time. The staff can be a bit.....curmudgeon-y but they have an amazing selection.

actully google mapping the convention center to l.j. its doesnt look all that bad pretty much a straight shot.

• currybotcurrybot I will be HUGE! Tysons, VARegistered User new member
    Gurkha Ghost has been my go to, but had one the other night that was drawing really hard (or hardly drawing). Was still awesome.

It is a bit of a walk. A cab ride or jumping on the T would be your best bet.

the t will be open till 3am this year woohoo,means we can chill longer and not have to worry bout a ride.as long as its not bitter cold out lol.

Never too cold for a cigar!

butu add a chilling breeze to it then it might be lol,the year i went it was almost unbearable,we all stood in a circle to keep the wind out.

• Almal3xiaAlmal3xia Dayton, OhioRegistered User new member
    We carve tobacco pipes in Dayton, Ohio - Split Beard Pipes - so its especially exciting to hear about the Cult of the Leaf! This will be our first time at PAX, so my husband and I are super stoked about folks getting together with pipes and cigars!

Just a reminder for those flying, lighters/matches/etc are not allowed on planes.

yea if you got something you wana sell or trade bring it along.