As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah.. And I guess the Viktorias set is not actually out? I am thinking of getting some Ronin to go with Tara.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    @Athenor The vikks are like fighting the Eldar. Stupid Eldar.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh, cool. They intrigued me. I wonder if it's cheaper to get the Ronin with that set or not? Hopefully I can get my local shop to order it for the raffle.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    @Athenor The plastic kit is much more useful in terms of the models you get.

Yeah, good point. Damnit. Give me about 5 months and I'll own everything for this game. Why do I DO that?

Yeah I know what you're saying. I was eye-balling the Guild Exorcist and the Riflemen today.

Hey do you play on Vassal? They actually have a licensed Malifaux module- wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?189-Vassal-Module&s=133079fed5c1236db3d0396aca80975e

No, but maybe in the future? Life's a bit upside-down right now.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I used to have almost the entire Guild collected (barring a couple of the avatars I wasn't interested in, and some models that were a waste of space in 1.5). It was certainly nice to keep my opponent guessing what I'd be playing, while being able to tailor a crew to whatever faction they were using, at least to a degree.

Also picked up around 1/3 of the Arcanists, but they were more of a side project than anything, and eventually got lent to a friend, with no real intention of picking them back up anytime soon.

Sold off my Lady J crew and a few other minions, but nobody else seems to be biting these days. Might have to cut my asking prices again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    O RLY?

Link those models dawg!

I have no clue how I'm going to be able to paint these. Holy crap.

64186_10151926565396864_677827587_n.jpg

I am gonna give it my best though!

No-Quarter wrote: »
    O RLY?

Link those models dawg!

Sorry, didn't see this until just now.

here's the listing I have up on a local site, just to show what I have up for grabs at the moment.

It neglects to mention a McCabe crew that I've been wavering on whether or not I'll part with it. Bought it from Wyrd directly before it was available to the general public, which meant that between the exchange, their high shipping and selling at full MSRP, I got simply reamed on it compared to what they go for in stores. If someone were interested, we might be able to work something out.

I'd be left with my Ortegas, Sonnia and Hoffman crews, whom between the paint job and sentimental value (the Ortegas were a birthday present from close friends) I don't think I'll ever part with. But the assorted support figures and whatnot that rarely saw play when we had more than a game every four months? Definitely up for grabs.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How do starters stack up against each other? I feel like grabbing the book and a couple of starters to paint and try the game out. Can I buy 2 starters and just play intro games with them?

-Loki- wrote: »
    How do starters stack up against each other? I feel like grabbing the book and a couple of starters to paint and try the game out. Can I buy 2 starters and just play intro games with them?

Yes absolutely. Bear in mind the new starters comes with the totem, whereas the old metal ones do not.

Good starters per faction are:

Guild- Lady J
    Ressers- Seamus
    Neverborn- Lilith
    Arcanists- Rasputina

I really should get around to amending and expanding the OP

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The two starters I was looking at were Sonia Creed and Lilith. These two mostly because I adore the models. My idea is grab them and paint them then do intro games for friends. If no one likes the game at least I've painted some awesome models and have a book with nice art.

I was surprised at the rulebook - it's only $50au, cheaper than the Infinity books.

Yeah it's pretty cheap. Sonnia and Lillith hare great sets to start with, lemme know if you have any trouble figuring them out! :D

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Started fiddling with this game with some friends who played the eventual disaster that was M1E and now it looks like I'll be buying the Seamus and Nicodem box sets. I'm not usually a fan of undead factions, but those Master designs are so cool I don't care that the rest of it is kinda ick.

We're all pretty heavy miniature gamers, but Malifaux seems like it could be a pretty sweet side game.

Malifaux was a breath of fresh air for me between low price and model count, the theme, the card mechanic which meant no more snake eyes!.

Just wait until you red joker something unimportant (initiative when you don't care who goes first in that particular turn) and promptly black joker something vital.

Which is a good thing to keep in mind; where those jokers have been seen. I know 1.5 had some issues with people manipulating their numbers to increase or decrease card flips once they knew where one or both jokers were and it eventually got a little heated on the Wyrd forums, but even just knowing that it's impossible for your opponent (barring a model that ignores this rule) to flip or cheat the Red Joker can be an important piece of info.

Oh believe, I've seen my fair share of the Jokers now. And flipping them early and then knowing you can always cheat is great. When I'm lucky enough to draw the Black Joker, I actually hold on to it till the end of the turn if I can, and then it doesn't go into the discard pile till after you've re-shuffled.

I really need to updatet he thread. Both the finalized and tournie legal wave model rules are up, and the Avatar beta is a go.

Forar wrote: »
    Just wait until you red joker something unimportant (initiative when you don't care who goes first in that particular turn) and promptly black joker something vital.

Which is a good thing to keep in mind; where those jokers have been seen. I know 1.5 had some issues with people manipulating their numbers to increase or decrease card flips once they knew where one or both jokers were and it eventually got a little heated on the Wyrd forums, but even just knowing that it's impossible for your opponent (barring a model that ignores this rule) to flip or cheat the Red Joker can be an important piece of info.

That's a really weird argument, to me. The whole point of using a deck of cards is to add an element of predictability.

I it put the beta rules for the Avatars and the free 2nd rules in the OP

I really wish they would just put the Wave 1 pdfs back out. People who want a book will buy a book regardless of whether or not they can get it for free, and people who don't want a book will figure out a way to not buy it. The rules are not the product, the miniatures are.

Plus, the bloody book is out of print.

admanb wrote: »
    That's a really weird argument, to me. The whole point of using a deck of cards is to add an element of predictability.

Which I agree with.

The big issue at the time was when players were facing opponents using Ressers, many of whom used Hard to Wound (more negative flips to damage), which they'd manipulate to intentionally gain even more (even cheating down an attack to go from 3 negative flips to 4, for example).

Obviously it only works once per turn (again, barring extenuating circumstances), but some Resser players just got so mad when facing people who were willing to help guarantee themselves a Weak damage attack on the hopes of getting a Severe+ hit off the joker against a key model.

I really wish they would just put the Wave 1 pdfs back out. People who want a book will buy a book regardless of whether or not they can get it for free, and people who don't want a book will figure out a way to not buy it. The rules are not the product, the miniatures are.

Plus, the bloody book is out of print.

They've got more shipments en route.

Here's the slimmed down, mini rulebook- amazon.com/Malifaux-Expansion-Rulebook-Rising-Powers/dp/0984150919/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392569378&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=malifaux+2e

They also have the wave 1 arsenal decks out.

The reason the Wave 2 rules are up is because the wave 2 book/ decks will have the avatars in them, and they don't want people to have to wait months before those drop.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I wanted to get into this, and drag my wife with me… but I can't even find a copy of the full Rulebook on ebay. That's pretty unfortunate. What exactly is missing from the full Rulebook compared to the Rules Manual?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I wanted to get into this, and drag my wife with me… but I can't even find a copy of the full Rulebook on ebay. That's pretty unfortunate. What exactly is missing from the full Rulebook compared to the Rules Manual?

Model stats. You'll need to buy Arsenal packs as well. Which isn't a bad idea regardless.

Model stats. You'll need to buy Arsenal packs as well. Which isn't a bad idea regardless.

Well that's not so bad. Thanks!

The new kits (plastic) come with the cards specific to the models/ Master associated with it.

The Aresenal Decks includes all of the models and upgrades associated with that Faction in wave 1.

No-Quarter wrote: »
    The new kits (plastic) come with the cards specific to the models/ Master associated with it.

The Aresenal Decks includes all of the models and upgrades associated with that Faction in wave 1.

Except apparently the Arsenal deck also has a(some?) generic upgrade for the faction that isn't available in the boxes?

Yes, correct, sorry.

Every Faction has 8 or so generic upgrades that don't come in the kit box, but do come in the Arsenals.

Will Lady Justice vs the Viktorias play ok against each other with just the starter sets?

So what does the rulebook include, just base game rules and fluff?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to play. I was assuming it was just the rulebook and crew boxes. I also need these Arsenal decks?

-Loki- wrote: »
    So what does the rulebook include, just base game rules and fluff?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to play. I was assuming it was just the rulebook and crew boxes. I also need these Arsenal decks?

The big rulebook has core rules, every faction's model's rules and their associated upgrades, and fluff.

The little rulebook only has the core rules.

All you need is the big rulebook and the crew boxes (which come with the cards for the models therein, and the upgrades specific to those models). You don't need an arsenal deck to play. It contains the cards for all the models in that faction, their upgrades, and generic factional upgrades (which aren't necessary to play)

Will Lady Justice vs the Viktorias play ok against each other with just the starter sets?

In terms of stones (army points)- the Lady J box is 30 stones, and the Vikks box comes out to 32. So they're pretty balanced. You can play a pretty balanced game using just the crew boxes and no upgrades in order to learn the game and your models. At 35 stones you can take a few upgrades, and at 41 stones (which is the lowest point value where you can no longer use a Henchman for a Leader, only a Master) most models will be fully upgraded and you'll have an increased cache. 50 stones is where the game is meant to be played, so at that point you can start looking at including extra/ different models.

In terms of gameplay- Lady J is an excellent set for beginners, both in lack of model complexity and how resilient they are. The primary Vikks crew is pretty easy to figure out, but the Vikktorias themselves are a little more complicated with regards to the number of interactions between the two of them.

How familiar are you with wargaming?

None when it comes to tabletop, but plenty with grid/hex based stuff.

My wife, who I'd like to rope in, a bit less. But she likes the Viktorias. I imagine I'll be able to get her to learn by playing Lady Justice though, as she's still a badass female character. :p

OK. Malifaux reminds me a a little bit of Heroclix, actually.

With this Vikks, its not the theme of their abilities themselves that are complex, so much as putting them into use.

Basically the Vikks give eachother bonuses depending on how close/ far apart they are. There's also movement tricks- Ashes (the Master) can teleport herself and any friendly Sisters (Blood, Vanessa, and the totem) to a location, and then all of them get to make a free swing. Blood (the twin) on the other hand does the opposite, all friendly Sisters make a free swing and then bounce away from the target. They're very Alpha strikey, so they hit enemy lines turn 2 at the latest and utterly annihilate anything clustered together and then jump away before the counterattack . Individually they're pretty squishy, though.

Once you get the kits and you start playing lemme know and I can help you out.

How well does Malifaux lend itself to conversions? I've heard the scale is all over the place. And the fact that they aren't 25mm. Are there any good mini brands out there that are decently comparable? Since it seems like the Wyrd minis aren't even all that comparable with each other.

How well does Malifaux lend itself to conversions? I've heard the scale is all over the place. And the fact that they aren't 25mm. Are there any good mini brands out there that are decently comparable? Since it seems like the Wyrd minis aren't even all that comparable with each other.

I believe all of their plastics are at the same scale.

I believe all of their plastics are at the same scale.

The official scale is the same, but everything I've read says that the figures vary pretty widely in terms of actual scale to each other. Like people being just completely different sizes, and not in the normal "people are actually different sizes" sort of way, but that they feel like different scales.

I don't know how accurate that is, I've just read it a lot in a lot of different places. So I figured it was just sort of an established fact.