As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Alright, so I've been out of the Tales loop for quite some time. I have most of the pre PS3 era Tales games (I don't have Legendia, as I heard it wasn't that great). Would you guys recommend Graces and/or Xillia (I don't have a 360, so no Vesperia for me)?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I would say Xillia, but that's because I can't stand the camera in Graces, which makes it hard for me to play for more than 20 minutes.

Xillia also has a sequel on the way.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Sooo... Symphonia HD collection for PS3 next month. Hype?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

I played the non-HD versions, so..no :P

I'm about 35 hours into Xillia and still enjoying it! The lack of variety in the environments is really annoying me though. Every single inn has the same layout and basically every field is the same, just with a different texture.

I'm also sick of that one guy in nearly every town constantly yelling "MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!".

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Alright, so I've been out of the Tales loop for quite some time. I have most of the pre PS3 era Tales games (I don't have Legendia, as I heard it wasn't that great). Would you guys recommend Graces and/or Xillia (I don't have a 360, so no Vesperia for me)?

Graces has an interesting and unique combat system, but the story and cast are... questionable. Xillia is more traditional Tales, but has a great cast. I'd choose Xillia, personally.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I snagged a CE of the Tales of Symphonia Chonicles from Fishpond.com. Hopefully, they are legit. It is sold out everywhere else.

I am on a US PS3 and it is a UK version, but it should be fine as long as there is no DLC. Since this is a compilation, I doubt that will happen. I did run into that problem when I got a UK CE of Ni No Kuni.

Krathoon on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Aque blastia" plays on "aqueduct". "Aquae" being a genitive form. Spelling's fine.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Oh. Xillia is on sale at the Namco store.

A tales sale is going on too.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I played the non-HD versions, so..no :P

I'm about 35 hours into Xillia and still enjoying it! The lack of variety in the environments is really annoying me though. Every single inn has the same layout and basically every field is the same, just with a different texture.

I'm also sick of that one guy in nearly every town constantly yelling "MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!".

I chose to believe that he was actually selling Buttons.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You got a couple wrong.
    CF13p8W.jpg?1
    Luke wouldn't. He's totally with Guy. but he'd apologize the whole time and ask if she didn't mix him up with Asch by mistake.

TJBS44c.png
    Yuri would wreck that bitch. wouldn't because he's too busy being gay with Flynn.

So I fixed them.

Ha, I inherited both of those from the old thread. The only ones I did were Asbel, Jude, and Milla. Besides, I like Yuri and Flynn as best buds. Yuri belongs with Judith because those two are the only goddamn adults in the group (and I love the Vesperia cast, but I was always amused when most of them were playing Mickey Mouse Guild Clubhouse while Yuri and Judith wandered off to actually get shit done).

Which reminds me, I really need to focus on using Judith on my next playthrough instead of cheesing everything with Yuri's combos.

I keep meaning to do a Vesperia play through as Judith too. Air combos arent usually my thing but Milla taught me a thing or two about them

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Came hoping for an OP update, left pleased.

wVEsyIc.png
    I think I'll get Xillia when I run across a good price, but I still have a lot of stuff left to do with Vesperia.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Isn't Xillia still $10 for PS+ members?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Xillia's been having 10/20 dollar sales for like the last 2 months.

I'm in no hurry.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think I started into the Tales series at the right time with Xillia. I was never able to get into the JRPGs with active time arena combat that much (Star Ocean being the other I can think of), but Xillia managed to make it diverse and fast-paced enough to feel satisfying. Every time I see someone play an older game like Abyss, I watch it and go '... this looks so SLOW and bland... '. It also doesn't hurt that Xillia seems to have one of the better designed if typical Tales stories, and there really isn't a character in the group I truly hate (can't say the same for the villains though... 'Running With Scissors' Agria, UGH!).

Looking forward to the sequel and the Symphonia HD collection. Want to give it a shot. Still gotta actually finish Xillia though, but I'm nearly there.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Symphonia was my first Tales game so I'm definitely excited for the HD release... can't say I care at all for the sequel that's bundled with it though. As for Xillia 2, I'm told by many on GFaqs that it's supposedly a massive improvement in comparison to the first game... and the first game was no slouch either!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I can't really say that I'm all that excited over ToS HD. Unless they've tweaked the combat system, Tales of Symphonia's LMBS is really awkward; which is a given as it's the first one that uses a 3D plane instead of 2D side-on. Not having Free-Movement really hurts and the EX-Skill system plus uncontrollable overlimit is really antiquated. While I did go crazy over it to the point of grabbing a sizable number of the all-skills ex-spheres when it was originally released, nowadays I'd rather load up Tales of Eternia than Symphonia.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Someone needs to explain something to me regarding Xillia's plot (end of chapter 2):
    So I just killed Nachtigal..
    a) Why does no one seem to care about or even notice this? Seriously, absolutely no one in Rashugal seems to know that their king was just killed.

b) Why did killing him suddenly make everyone in the Rashugal army friendly towards us? A minute ago we were wanted criminals and suddenly, one regicide later, we can walk around the king's palace freely?

c) Rowen repeatedly uses his (former) rank as a means to get information from Rashugal troops..have they completely forgotten that he left their army long ago and that he just, you know, killed their king?

Maz- wrote: »
    Someone needs to explain something to me regarding Xillia's plot (end of chapter 2):
    So I just killed Nachtigal..
    a) Why does no one seem to care about or even notice this? Seriously, absolutely no one in Rashugal seems to know that their king was just killed.

b) Why did killing him suddenly make everyone in the Rashugal army friendly towards us? A minute ago we were wanted criminals and suddenly, one regicide later, we can walk around the king's palace freely?

c) Rowen repeatedly uses his (former) rank as a means to get information from Rashugal troops..have they completely forgotten that he left their army long ago and that he just, you know, killed their king?

well...
    a) technically you didn't kill him, but the army was busy prepping for war and few guards were actually in the castle at the time (your party practically snuck in), so there wasn't anyone to witness this.

b) Rowen was Nachtigal's best friend, and even though they had differences, the Conducter himself comes out to say "let us help you with this battle", so it's not too surprising that they're willing to take his help. It wasn't until later that the word spread that they were to be attacked on sight.

c) Again he's helping them and thus he needs information, so naturally they're willing to provide it if it helps them.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    I can't really say that I'm all that excited over ToS HD. Unless they've tweaked the combat system, Tales of Symphonia's LMBS is really awkward; which is a given as it's the first one that uses a 3D plane instead of 2D side-on. Not having Free-Movement really hurts and the EX-Skill system plus uncontrollable overlimit is really antiquated. While I did go crazy over it to the point of grabbing a sizable number of the all-skills ex-spheres when it was originally released, nowadays I'd rather load up Tales of Eternia than Symphonia.

Pretty much how I felt. I went back and played Symphonia a few years ago and man did a lot of the systems annoy me.

I have never minded not being able to freerun in Symphonia. There's really little need to do it. Anything that it would accomplish can be done with dashes and jumping.

However, in Symphonia I do look forward to not having to wait 5 hours before I can set my controls to manual, change the order of my party members, my displayed character, or backdash in combat.

That's a trade-off that works for me.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited February 2014
    Meh. The freerun is the system I was least annoyed by since I only used it for positioning anyway. The awkwardness of the combat flow for lack of a better word would be my main problem.

Dragkonias on
    I remember the first time I experienced free run in Abyss and I abused the ever-loving crap out of it. Symphonia I never really had a problem with since I just utilized the lock on to switch which direction I ran, since enemies generally moved around to different places in the battlefield. As for how old the combat system is... it really hasn't aged much, since I played it on gamecube about 2 years ago and it's still the same basic Tales package. Heck if anything combos were easier to rack up back then, especially with Lloyd having at least 4 different versions of Tiger Blade he could cancel combos into. Though Raging Beast is still my favorite finisher.

I might actually try and utilize Presea and Regal in my party in this next play-through (I usually leave them out party due to lack of interest, though I still try to upgrade their equipment). Most easy to win party in the game is Lloyd, Zelos/Kratos, Genis, and Rayne.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The lack of freerunning will take some getting used to, but I enjoy the core battle system of Symphonia regardless. It's so much fun to rack up crazy combos with all of the moves that flow into each other.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I remember the first time I experienced free run in Abyss and I abused the ever-loving crap out of it. Symphonia I never really had a problem with since I just utilized the lock on to switch which direction I ran, since enemies generally moved around to different places in the battlefield. As for how old the combat system is... it really hasn't aged much, since I played it on gamecube about 2 years ago and it's still the same basic Tales package. Heck if anything combos were easier to rack up back then, especially with Lloyd having at least 4 different versions of Tiger Blade he could cancel combos into. Though Raging Beast is still my favorite finisher.

I might actually try and utilize Presea and Regal in my party in this next play-through (I usually leave them out party due to lack of interest, though I still try to upgrade their equipment). Most easy to win party in the game is Lloyd, Zelos/Kratos, Genis, and Rayne.

Presea's fun, and you're a bad person for not having used her.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

My favorite party comp in Symphonia is Zelos, Lloyd, Raine, Presea. I was trying out Zelos/Kratos for a play through, ended up with a hilarious team that could just beat the ever loving shit out of anything.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Apparently Symphonia HD's CE is getting an extra 3000 units printed, but there's no word on when or where pre-orders are going to open.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Polaritie wrote: »

She's alright. I mean I used her some of the time, just like Regal. Despite the "easy win" party I mentioned, my favorite party was Lloyd, Zelos, Sheena, and Raine; sometimes switching out Raine for Genis since having a healer can sometimes be secondary (and Zelos has decent healing skills too). Genis is the best character to have in any group though, but he sucks in the Arena.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Instant cast Meteor rocks the arena pretty hard, even on the hardest difficulty.

stream
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Instant cast Meteor rocks the arena pretty hard, even on the hardest difficulty.

Assuming the system doesn't come down as a result, anyways.

I've crashed Vesperia once or twice from Meteor Storm during OL4.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    So I just got to Trigleph..and what do I hear in the merchants' area of that city?

MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!MUTTON! FRESH MUTTON!
    MUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTONMUTTON
    Mutton%20curry%209_thumb%5B6%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
    gongura_mutton.JPG
    gerblkheadmutton.jpg
    GermanMuttonMerino.jpg
    homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Perhaps it's from being a veteran BG2 player, but I never really had been bothered by the Mutton Man who lives on dreary lane. Hell I didn't even notice the voice until various forums made a joke of it, then it's when I noticed.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/17/tales-of-asteria-announced-for-ios-android-devices/
    Tales fans have Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Xilia 2 to look forward to, but those aren't likely to pull several Tales protagonists into one game. Tales of Asteria is, though! Bandai Namco has announced the mobile-oriented RPG with a spring release on iOS and Android devices planned for Japan. Visiting Asteria's promotional site shows some familiar faces - Lloyd, Milla, Yuri, Luke, Sophie and Cress are all accounted for.

Gematsu's report states that Asteria will feature voice acting and a "cross slide" battle system. Gematsu's translation adds that the story will involve "fragments of a star that [make] wishes come true." Unsurprisingly, Asteria's inhabitants seem eager to fight over magical, wish-granting star bits, which brings in the six protagonists to solve the problem.

Each hero is brandishing their own glowing object on the site's home page - we suppose stealing the star fragments for themselves could be a possible solution to the world of Asteria's conflict! Or ... you know, a great way for them to make a lot of new enemies.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    They are so going to have to change Yuri's voice actor, because Troy Baker is far too expensive for a cash-in iOS game these days.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Yay, my Amazon shipment of the collector's edition finally has a ship date.

The Playstation 3 graphics are exactly what I remember the game looking like. :)

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Oh man, I forgot that Tales games till had awesome music back when Symphonia came out. For some reason, the music just isn't as good these days.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So I picked up Xillia and have started it. After doing a littl looking around, I decided on Jude for my first play-through, as apparently his version of the story gives the player a more cohesive story for the first go-round.

I'm annoyed by how much I'm failing at reliably doing his flash step thing, though, especially what with there being skills that give extra AP for pulling it off.

Is there any reason to not fight Linked? I do notice that Milla doesn't do her ranged spells as much when I link to her with Jude. But then I just Link with somone else when I want her to do that.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I ordered a copy of Xillia when I bought this PS3 and it showed up today. I didn't get very far in to it the last time I played it, but I like Milla more than Jude.