As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    How this 750W SilverStone PSU?

And I think upon further consideration that a single 780 is prolly the way to go for Future-Proofing™ (as dubious a term as that is) and avoiding SLI-related annoyances. This one for $530 looks like a good candidate.

Do you already have a 760? It looked that way from your price list. If not, why not just get a 770 if you're only playing at 1080P anyway? If you do have a 760 already I would say just use that till you need more juice and then grab a second one. A 780, at least for the near future, seems a bit overkill to me. Especially considering a 780 is about 60% more expensive than a 770 (assuming $330 vs. $530)

Do you really think it'd be overkill (ie. more than I need to never drop below 60fps) in something like GTA5? That's a sincere question.

Edit: And no, I don't have a 760 atm; that's just on there for wattage estimation.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    How this 750W SilverStone PSU?

And I think upon further consideration that a single 780 is prolly the way to go for Future-Proofing™ (as dubious a term as that is) and avoiding SLI-related annoyances. This one for $530 looks like a good candidate.

Do you already have a 760? It looked that way from your price list. If not, why not just get a 770 if you're only playing at 1080P anyway? If you do have a 760 already I would say just use that till you need more juice and then grab a second one. A 780, at least for the near future, seems a bit overkill to me. Especially considering a 780 is about 60% more expensive than a 770 (assuming $330 vs. $530)

Do you really think it'd be overkill (ie. more than I need to never drop below 60fps) in something like GTA5? That's a sincere question.

Edit: And no, I don't have a 760 atm; that's just on there for wattage estimation.

Yeah I'm really not sure. Just guessing. I don't know anything about how GTAV will run other than its obviously a console port. A 770 may very well be stretching its limits but I'm not sure. If you can justify the 50-60% price increase for the 780 then go for it. Better to have more than enough than just barely.

EDIT: And its a last gen console port at that.

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    they are porting it to the current gen consoles so I expect some upgrades for the PC version.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just keep in mind Rockstar doesn't have a stellar rep at having efficient PC ports. GTA4 ran like a hog in mud when it first came out. Took a bunch of patches even to get decent performance out of it with modern hardware.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I think GTA5 was just a like benchmark for what he wanted out of performance....not a game specific thing he required to run well.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I would wait until the game is actually announced on the platform, let alone released, before making conjecture on its performance tbh.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I think GTA5 was just a like benchmark for what he wanted out of performance....not a game specific thing he required to run well.

It's basically the only game I care about running in the foreseeable future.

Well, that and WoW -- but it's not like that game is particularly demanding.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Well, that and WoW -- but it's not like that game is particularly demanding.

You'd be surprised...

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    WoW mostly gets demanding when you crank up the shadows. Shadows on ultra can really push gpus specially in crowded places.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    It depends on where you are too. Their engine did something silly with lighting in the bc era that they never went back and made efficient.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular

Other than that side window, that's a pretty sweet looking case. I especially like the fact that it doesn't come with any 5.25" drive bays!

I normally don't go for side windows either, but I plan on putting a custom water loop in it, and I've always thought that water loops look great with windows.

That case is sexy...but where the hell are those 3 front fans getting their air from?

If you look through the gallery, there's an angled picture of the front. There's a gap, between the smooth front and the interior, with vents where it can pull in air.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    WoW mostly gets demanding when you crank up the shadows. Shadows on ultra can really push gpus specially in crowded places.

Yeah I guess that's true. I'd always get slowdown in the Pandaria starting area and I could never figure out why... then I turned off Ultra shadows.

Major difference.

The annoying thing with going past 1080p is that I'd have to buy a ~$400 2560x1440 IPS panel off of like Monoprice in addition to a beefier GPU that could handle that kinda res, which would send my build cost skyrocketing. It'd just be too big a step up to get the GPU + monitor -- especially when I've got a perfectly good (if slightly too blue) 27" Acer 1080p monitor already.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    This is the correct link for the GPU, btw.

EDIT: Ugh, I meant for the PSU.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That's a solid value power supply, especially at that price.

EDIT they are about to sell out FYI.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    I thought I'd add back in...with AMD getting both consoles and the entire Mantle thing, might be best to bet AMD with new card purchases. Their current crop is great value anyway.

• Options
    While I'd like to agree with you, given how well AMD has done designing software over the years, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    While I'd like to agree with you, given how well AMD has done designing software over the years, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edit: Also, unless the API is supported by Intel and Nvidia it's going to fail.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Kinda hard to say their stuff is a great value at the moment when all the crypto miners have driven the prices up like crazy on AMD card. Once everything stabilizes then I absolutely agree. Kinda.

PSA: Amazon has the 4770K for $290 and the 4670K for $210 right now.

• Options
    Pulled the trigger on that parts list, but with a 770 and the SilverStone 750W PSU.

• Options
    Whaddo you guys do for static, btw? My apartment is 100% carpeted, so I think I'll just truck all my parts over to a friend's place and do the build there; his place is all hardwood and has more room to work.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    As long as you don't build it on the floor and you make sure to touch the case and/or PSU often you should be fine. But more space and building with a friend sounds way better!

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Touch the metal part of a case and discharge your static.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261005

Snag one of those if you're paranoid and keep it attached to the case while you're building.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Anyone want to buy a used 6850HD? I'm willing to let it go for $80. I'll ship it to you. Comes in the original box with everything you need in it. Great card... I just upgraded to the 770 so I have no use for it anymore, and would hate to throw it away.

Also no pets in the house and no smokers. Will be dust free.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maybe post that on some bitcoin forums? Miners will give you way more for it than gamers.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I've gotten tired of waiting for the amd r series to go down in price and I'm anxsiouly looking at the Asus DirectCU II 780 gtx

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Maybe post that on some bitcoin forums? Miners will give you way more for it than gamers.

I don't get it, is there something special about AMD cards that makes them a superior choice for bitcoin mining?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

I don't get it, is there something special about AMD cards that makes them a superior choice for bitcoin mining?

They handle computations differently than Nvidia's cards. Something about floating points and such.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

They handle computations differently than Nvidia's cards. Something about floating points and such.

Not really better, just all the popular mining programs have been written and optimized for amd cards.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Foomy wrote: »

Not really better, just all the popular mining programs have been written and optimized for amd cards.

I've read some info very similar to what this guy says. I'll paste it below as well.
    ....in OpenCL NVidia has higher floating point power (good for scientific simulations) while AMD has superior integer performance. Hashing (mining uses hashing not encryption) is all integer math so an AMD chip is going to be superior. However what is the "kill blow" for relative performance is AMDs chips have an instruction which reduces a complex rotation which normally takes 3 operations plus a delay into a single operation. That single instruction adds about a 15% to 20% "bonus" to AMD GPU performance.

There is another difference but it is growing smaller. NVidia has generally designed chips around a "fewer but more complex/powerful shaders" concept while AMD has designed chips around a "massive number of simple shaders per core" concept. SHA-2 hashing is very simple and thus fits more efficiently into "a lot of simple cores" model. However overtime AMDs shaders have gotten more and more complex while NVidia has added more and more shaders so this difference is closing. It is also one reason why the relative performance of a 7000 series isn't double that of a 5000 series despite the 30% higher clock and 50% more transistors . The 7000 series is "faster" but not as fast as it would be if the 7000 series was just a die shrink of the 5000 series.

So the combination of better integer performance, instructions which provide a significant speed improvement, and a higher shader count all make AMD a better fit for mining (and a worse fit for other OpenCL tasks). There is no reason NVidia couldn't design their chips differently they just have chosen not to. In most industrial and scientific tasks floating point performance is more important. If anything AMD will likely need to improve floating point performance (possibly at the expense of integer performance) in order to get most OpenCL design wins.

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    Kinda hard to say their stuff is a great value at the moment when all the crypto miners have driven the prices up like crazy on AMD card. Once everything stabilizes then I absolutely agree. Kinda.

Oh ya wow, I didn't realize prices had skyrocketed, the card I got for 400 is now going for 550. Which makes it a poor value.

• Options

Oh ya wow, I didn't realize prices had skyrocketed, the card I got for 400 is now going for 550. Which makes it a poor value.

Yeah it really sucks :( The R9 290 was such a great value. AMD almost needs to develop mining specific cards or something to steer the miners away from the gaming GPUs.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So I had you guys build me a PC a short while ago, and it's awesome.

Since i don't really keep up with PC hardware news, I'd love to post my specs here and just get some feedback on whether my hardware could do with an upgrade, a replacement, or whether it can probably stand to wait another year or so, and if so, how long to wait.

I don't need the bleeding edge of extreme graphics in every game, but it's nice to be able to run things at nearly max at a smooth 60fps.

Side note - I don't have a solid state drive, and I know those offer significant performance improvements. So that's an option I'm already considering.

Specs
    Core i5 2500k @ 3.30GHZ (stock)
    2x 4GB of DDR31600
    Nvidia GTX560

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    An ssd is going to be the upgrade that allows you to load into games faster. Upgrading that 560 will improve your frame rates and pretty up the games from medium to ultra settings.

The logical step for you is the 760 but if you can afford it a 770 or 780 would be awesome. Throw in an ssd boot drive and an after market cooler to start over clocking the CPU and you'll feel like you have a new machine. And just spent anywhere from 300 to 800 bucks.

So, @Dhalphir , what's the budget look like? :)

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    An ssd is going to be the upgrade that allows you to load into games faster. Upgrading that 560 will improve your frame rates and pretty up the games from medium to ultra settings.

The logical step for you is the 760 but if you can afford it a 770 or 780 would be awesome. Throw in an ssd boot drive and an after market cooler to start over clocking the CPU and you'll feel like you have a new machine. And just spent anywhere from 300 to 800 bucks.

So, @Dhalphir , what's the budget look like? :)

I'd rather not spend any more than a few hundred, because otherwise it'd be easier to just drop the full grand and replace most of the machine.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So I had you guys build me a PC a short while ago, and it's awesome.

Since i don't really keep up with PC hardware news, I'd love to post my specs here and just get some feedback on whether my hardware could do with an upgrade, a replacement, or whether it can probably stand to wait another year or so, and if so, how long to wait.

I don't need the bleeding edge of extreme graphics in every game, but it's nice to be able to run things at nearly max at a smooth 60fps.

Side note - I don't have a solid state drive, and I know those offer significant performance improvements. So that's an option I'm already considering.

Specs
    Core i5 2500k @ 3.30GHZ (stock)
    2x 4GB of DDR31600
    Nvidia GTX560

The 2500K is still a great chip for gaming. Plenty of quick RAM, decent video card, unless you wanted to spend big money on a video card upgrade (to drive a new 1660p or auxiliary second monitor?), the thing that will make your p.c. feel much faster is indeed an SSD boot drive.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    SSD absolutely. Get the Samsung EVO 250. Then upgrade graphics to a 760 or 770 when you have the budget.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm seeing a trend here...

• Options
    I'm only running a single 27" monitor. It's only a couple years old, so I'm not thinking of replacing it anytime soon and since it's 1080p, I don't need the bleeding edge $500 cards to run things looking nice.

But the SSD sounds like a great upgrade. I'll look into it over the next few weeks.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

I'll try that, thanks! Figured I'd give my friends/family first shot at it though.

This discussion has been closed.