As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NVIDIA SHIELD] looks upon your console wars and laughs

Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great!Houston, TXRegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
Look, why can't someone get it right? As a gamer, I'm looking for a very simple device. I want it to:
  • Be portable
  • Have good battery life
  • Use physical controls, like a gamepad
  • Have an open OS and a huge selection of mobile games
  • Also be able to play modern Triple-A games like you see on the XBO and PS4
  • Stream games in my house such as the Wii U does
  • Let me access movies, music, etc
  • Plug into a TV and act as a mobile streaming box for games and video

Basically, I want everything, and then some. Is that too much to ask? IS THAT TO MUCH TO... oh, wait a second. What's that? Such a device already exists, you say? And I can buy it with actual money, RIGHT NOW?

Tell me more!

nvidia-shield-640x353_zps3d5b601c.jpg

This is the thread for discussion of the NVIDIA SHIELD portable gamepad/streamer/console/wtf!

What is the Nvidia Shield?

It is many things to many people. In a nutshell, though, the Shield is a portable, Android-based gaming console. It's cutting edge hardware includes an Nvidia Tegra 4 processor that utilizes a 72-core Geforce GPU and Quad-core 1.9 GHz ARM A15 CPU. Seriously, in terms of mobile hardware, this thing is a beast. It packs the chipset along with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage (Micro SD expandable) into the gamepad you see in the picture above.

The gamepad itself is more or less a mix of the XBox and Dualshock controllers, including dual analog sticks, a D-Pad, and the traditional A-B-X-Y layout, with two trigger and two shoulder buttons on the top and rear. The clamshell-designed package pairs this gamepad with a 5" OLED 720p Touchscreen that folds down and protects the innards of the device when not in use. Also included is a pair of purportedly excellent speakers which supposedly surpass most other handheld devices, and customizable magnetic plates to change the look of the thing.

Sounds good. What can it do?

What can't it do? The most basic function of the Shield is as a portable Android gaming device. Included is a mostly stock 4.3 Android OS, with a few UI enhancements on the front end. This means anything in the Google Play store is fair game to be installed on this device. There are a number of games that have been fully optimized for the Shield and its controller, and this library is ever growing. In addition to those games, anything else can also be played from the Android store. Games that support controllers work best, but even for those which have no third-party controller support, the Shield includes a fairly ingenious software solution called "Gamepad Mapper", which will superimpose gamepad buttons over on-screen controls. You can fully customize where these buttons will go and how they'll behave, so basically any game can be made to work with the Shield's controller. You can even download pre-made game profiles online from people who have already made the best setup and avoid the hassle of doing it yourself.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg. One of the coolest features of the Shield is that it can stream games from your high-end gaming PC to its screen, Wii U style. If you aren't familiar with how it works, it basically handles all the heavy lifting of running the game itself on your Gaming PC taking input from your Shield controller, and then sends a low-latency video stream back out to your Shield's screen. Any PC that meets the Shield's minimum specs can stream PC games, which are: Core i3 2100 or Athlon II X4 640 or higher, and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 or higher. Yes, that means if you're running an AMD video card, you're out of luck. Sorry, this is an Nvidia party only, and what are you doing running an AMD system anyway, get with the times, man!*

Streaming works through the Geforce Experience and Gamestream software. As with the Android store, there are a number of games pre-configured to work with Gamestream out of the box, such as CoD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite... there's actually quite a few, so go check out the official list. However, since the Shield can access your Steam library, you can also play basically any game that's supported by Steam Big Picture Mode and has official controller support. From reports I've read, Gamestream works anywhere from "not bad" to "spectacularly", depending on the strength of your wireless signal. Note, as of right now, streaming only works locally to your router. Sorry, you can't play Saints Row 4 on the bus on your way to work. You can, however, play it on the toilet, just the way Johnny Gat would have wanted!

http://youtu.be/Wwinsd_2Pck

But that's not all! The Shield can also operate in Console Mode, which means that you can plug it into any old TV through HDMI, pair it up with a bluetooth gamepad, and stream your games on the big screen as you would with an Ouya or one of those other lame Android consoles that only do this one function. Pfft, that's amateur hour. The Shield just threw that in as an added bonus. Oh, and there's of course access to Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc ad nauseum. One cool little thing in that regard though is that, since it has a flip up screen, hands-free viewing of movies and stuff is way easier than on a tablet. Flip the screen up, set it down, and watch. No need for additional stands or using one hand to prop it up. A small but deceptively convenient feature.

Holy Crap Dookie, this thing sounds awesome! What are you gonna tell me next, that it only costs like $100 bucks or something?

You got that right! Well, actually no, I'm lying. It's a bit more expensive than that. All of this gaming goodness comes at a premium. The Nvidia Shield will run you 299 US Dollars. No, it's not cheap. Some might even say it costs too much. And for some people, I'd say even many people, that might be true. Not everyone needs or wants a PC streaming device, or a ridiculously powerful Android handheld, or even another set-top gaming box. However, for many other people, this has everything they could want in a console and more.

What price would I be willing to pay to sit downstairs next to my wife and play Metro Last Light while she enjoys the latest episode of Top Chef? What price would I pay to secretly behead dudes in Dishonored at the same time I'm spending time with my daughter playing Mario? What price would I pay to finally play Crazy Taxi on a handheld device with full console controls again, or blast through The Conduit with an actual gamepad while sitting at the Dentist's office? I don't know about you, but yeah, I'll gladly pay $299 for this.

Can it do anything else?

Hmm, I think that's about it. Oh wait, I forgot, you can also use it to pilot a freaking AR Drone and capture its footage directly back to the Shield.

http://youtu.be/dEgVoixIrz4

So yeah, that's pretty cool.

Alright, I'm sold. Where can I buy it?

There are a number of brick-and-mortar stores where you can pick it up, such as Gamestop, Fry's, and Microcenter. You can also get it from several online outlets. See Nvidia's purchase page for more details.

Discuss!

Now you tell us, have you bought a Shield yet? What do you think about it? Does the PC Streaming work as well as advertised or is it hot garbage? I haven't actually picked one up yet, but plan on it soon and would love to hear some impressions.

Just a heads up, Microcenter is also running a Black Friday deal this weekend where you can get it for $250 with a free Shield Case. That's basically $90 off. This is where I'll be purchasing mine. Or should I say, my wife will be purchasing it for me for Christmas. If other deals pop up I'll try to keep this thread updated with the latest info. If you know of any sales, post them here and I'll update as well.

FINALLY, A WARNING

In reviewing the Shield's features, you may have noticed that I neglected to mention the device's abilities to perform a certain... um, function, related to playing older games from previous-generation consoles on it. Yes, we know about it. Yes, we realize that this might actually be the Shield's killer feature and how perfectly suited it's portability and full gamepad would be for this function.

However, NO, WE WILL NOT DISCUSS IT. As for this thread, let's keep it from getting shut down and keep away all discussion of that-which-shall-not-be-named.

Now, get Shielding! Shielded! Get Shi... whatever you know what I mean.

*Actually, I'm just ribbing you, AMD cards are great as well. But hey, it's an Nvidia product... what'd you expect?

Steam | Twitch
Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
Sterica on

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Some reviews of the Shield:

PC Gamer
    The Shield’s most unique feature—no, make that its most downright bitchin' feature—is PC streaming. You can launch any supported game from your PC—via the Shield interface or Steam’s Big Picture mode—and play, oh, let’s say Dishonored, in the bathtub. Which I did. Or Tomb Raider on the couch. I did that, too. I won’t tell you where I played BioShock Infinite, but the main idea is that your PC does the heavy lifting and squirts the results to your Shield with—under ideal conditions—negligible latency.

Tom's Hardware (Follow-up)
    The question then becomes: do you have an extra $300 laying around for a device that is cool in its own right, but doesn’t really replace anything? We’re not talking about the convergence between two worlds here. This is multi-platform gaming handheld enabled by inventive engineering. We can come up with several different reasons why it’s cool, but none for why you absolutely need to have it. In the absence of necessity, you get to answer whether those three C-notes are best spent on pure entertainment.

Mashable
    The Nvidia Shield is a solid performer with some great components. Its screen is beautiful, and the Tegra 4 handles games like a champ. PC streaming is a great idea, and looks beautiful when executed. But because of it's $299 price point, I wonder exactly who the Shield is for. That price doesn't reflect the fact you'll need a high-end graphics card and a $100+ router to access the Shield's biggest feature.

Engadget
    At $300, NVIDIA Shield is a hard sell as a portable game console, but an easy sell in place of a similarly priced tablet. Sure, it doesn't have a camera, but it does offer extremely impressive PC streaming, along with wide viewing angles. The Shield remains a "truly strange device," but it's one that we feel comfortable recommending to hardcore PC gamers and Netflix junkies alike.

IGN
    By sheer measure of the hardware alone, the Nvidia Shield is a commendable first effort. It's expertly crafted with high-end components and a comfortable, responsive control scheme — albeit with a bulky, uninspired design. The Shield's biggest challenges, however, are content and cost. There are simply too few compelling gameplay experiences on Android to justify a $300 dedicated handheld, and while the PC streaming feature shows promise, it's in dire need of performance and stability enhancements.

The Verge
    But despite all the hassle, the payoff is superb. It was enough to convince me to buy a Shield where the Android games alone weren’t cutting it. This week, I rolled over in bed and played an hour of Max Payne 3. I traversed Skyrim from my couch. I joined a co-op game of Left 4 Dead 2 while standing in the hallway, just because I could. And then, in bed, with headphones so as not to wake my wife, I rocked myself to sleep again with a BioShock Infinite lullaby.

Techgage
    Past all of that, NVIDIA offers the ability to stream PC games to the SHIELD should you want that ability, and even turn the entire unit into a console. Done with gaming? Do whatever else you’d usually do on Android. Watch movies or hit-up YouTube, view photos, browse the Web, look for updates on Facebook, check your email, catch up on news, and so forth. The only thing it can’t do that a lot of other Android devices can is take a photo or act as a webcam – probably not a big issue for most people.

NVIDIA’s SHIELD might cost $100 more than a PS Vita, but just look at all it can do. It packs in top-of-the-line mobile graphics and a fast processor, offers unparalleled mobile software flexibility, can act as a console when connected to the TV, has a solid construction and reasonable design, and last but not least, lasts between 4~20 hours depending on what you’re using it for.

If I sound excited, it’s because I am. Editor’s Choice, no question.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • jhffmnjhffmn Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The shield looks pretty cool and I'm a huge fan of android gaming. There are just a few problems I have with the execution.

1). Lack of titles. Android gaming hasn't taken off yet despite numerous android consoles. Titles sell consoles.

2). The specs don't matter, yet. Why develop an android game that can only be played on a tiny fraction of android devices.

3). It doesn't really do everything. The clamshell design makes it difficult to use as a tablet. I'm typing this on a nexus 7 right now. Would you be able to comfortably do so on the shield?

4). Too costly. Given that it lacks titles, has specs that don't matter, and doesn't work as a tablet the only way to justify the cost of the shield, $299, is PC streaming at this point. And that requires you spend a gazillion more dollars on a PC gaming rig that is compatable.

You are much better off buying a cheap console like this for about half as much because it is still usable as a tablet.

jxd-s7800.jpg

If it didn't have that horrible clamshell design and cost about $100 less and/or I had a high end nvidia PC I'd be all over it. Outside of the streaming the shield is mainly useful for um that other function. But the above does that too. You can't even comfortably play angry birds on the shield. Not that you'd want to but you get the point.

jhffmn on
    Well yes, the truth is that it probably doesn't actually do everything. It's certainly for a fairly niche audience. However, for the people who fit that audience, it's a pretty great machine. For example, I already have an iPad for those kinds of games, and I already have a high-end gaming PC with an Nvidia card. I don't think this is meant to replace a tablet at all, and I can't imagine why you'd want to try and use it that way. I think the clamshell form factor is great for what it's meant to be used for, which is a controller-only gaming device for Android and PC games.

I could be wrong of course. Like I said, I haven't actually gotten this thing in my hands yet, but I will soon. Believe me, I will give honest impressions one way or another once I've given it a fair shake.

Steam | Twitch
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm most interested in Console mode. How does that work? I'm imagining that I plug it into my receiver via HDMI. Then it just sits by the TV? And I need another controller to play?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this is actually for swagmasters only hope this helps

obF2Wuw.png
    Anyone else going to pick one up at Microcenter tomorrow for $250? I'm debating how early I should go to get in line. I figure most people will be in line for other stuff, so I dunno.

Steam | Twitch
    Okay, so it turns out the deal applies to pretty much anywhere that sells the Shield, including online. So if you're looking at picking one up, there's no time like the present. Just ordered mine for Christmas!

Steam | Twitch
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Already out of stock :)

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    this is actually for swagmasters only hope this helps
    So, how many do you own?

YL9WnCY.png
    edited November 2013
    captaink wrote: »
    Daaaang I should have held out. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

Looks like mine will come in on Wednesday or so. I dunno yet if my wife is going to let me open it early or if I'll have to wait for Christmas, so with any luck I'll have some impressions in a week or so.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Good News: My Shield came in.

Bad News: Wife isn't letting me open until Christmas.

The anticipation is going to kill me.

Steam | Twitch
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I can't decide if, now that I have switched back to nvidia for my GPU needs, I want to pick this up or wait for the cheapest streaming-only steambox.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I'd like a shield, but the graphics card on my gaming laptop isn't supported. :( I've been using a Vita to play games on the PS4 and I'd love to do it with my PC as well.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    I can't decide if, now that I have switched back to nvidia for my GPU needs, I want to pick this up or wait for the cheapest streaming-only steambox.

I don't really know what the price points will be on the Steamboxes, but do keep in mind that this will pretty much do all the same stuff a steambox will do in terms of letting you stream to another TV in console mode. I think I read that they even just released an update that will stream it in full 1080p now.

I don't know, even if this is more expensive than the cheaper steamboxes will be, this also functions as a well equipped portable android handheld, as well as allowing you to stream off your tv and on the handheld itself. That last one is definitely going to be the biggest feature for me, assuming my home network can handle it correctly.

Steam | Twitch
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have little to no use for an android handheld. I have a galaxy S4 for that. I also have an ipad for non-android handheldification.

The streaming bit is literally the only selling point for me. It's just a question of whether or not I'm going to want the streaming handheld bit to the tune of whatever the price difference may or may not be. Or if I have the patience to wait for the steam boxes.

I agree that the Android Gaming bit is the least appealing aspect of the Shield to me as well. That said, I wouldn't discount it entirely. Yes, you can play these games on a tablet or phone, but how many of those games would be so much better with an actual, physical gamepad? Right off the top of my head, I can say definitively that any FPS or Racing game will be waaaay better, as well as any platformer that was designed specifically for touchscreen/swipe controls. I'm sure a number of other games will be better to.

I certainly wouldn't say it's the only reason to purchase one, but if you're already getting it for the PC Streaming stuff, it's a heck of a nice bonus. There are legitimately a lot of great Android games out there that will be even better on the Shield.

Steam | Twitch
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This is 720p right? I mean it doesn't matter at all for the handhelds screen but for outputting to a TV it woulf be weird.

I believe it will output 720p wirelessly, but the new update will allow a 1080p signal through a wired connection from your router. Or something like that. I'll have to do a little more research.

Steam | Twitch
    well..... shit. The big thing I want is being able to play games in bed and an entire steam library of games on ahandheld? DEAR GOD. D:

The conditions for getting it all working are pretty specific of course... dual band router, high end PC with Nvidia 650 or greater, etc... but yeah, assuming all of the pre-requisites are there, it really seems like a game changer. Argh I don't want to wait until Christmas.

Steam | Twitch
    The nvidia gpu is a big deal breaker for me sadly.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I wanna get a shield so badly but I have an AMD video card :(

And, after the latest Radeon announcements, I don't think I'll be picking up an nvidia card for a loooong time.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I rather like what nVidia is doing with their GeForce experience. The built in Fraps just keeps getting better with each patch and game optimization is rather nice too.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    I rather like what nVidia is doing with their GeForce experience. The built in Fraps just keeps getting better with each patch and game optimization is rather nice too.

Indeed. I recently switched to nvidia after a long run with AMD and I could not be happier. Their software is just so much better.

Yeah, I actually FINALLY just installed GFE last night. It's pretty neat so far. I want to try the shadow play thing to see if it works as well as they say it does.

Steam | Twitch
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually FINALLY just installed GFE last night. It's pretty neat so far. I want to try the shadow play thing to see if it works as well as they say it does.

It really, really does. There's a neglibible framerate hit and the resulting video is really nice. Though I've only been using the manual function and not that 'save last 10-20mins' function.

It really, really does. There's a neglibible framerate hit and the resulting video is really nice. Though I've only been using the manual function and not that 'save last 10-20mins' function.

What I also like is how the compression isn't as horribly bloated as Fraps, so the file is smaller while still being high quality. I can capture full screen (1920x1080) at 60 FPS, unlike Fraps, which just destroys my framerate. The latest patch also added sound capturing from your own mic. Previously, it would capture game sounds and other people speaking, but not your own. It's much better now. Still a beta, but I already love it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Except the most recent update corrupted my install entirely and I didn't realize this until after I had an amazing streak in Battlefield 4 and decided for the first time in my life I should upload some gameplay footage.

Alas... :(

steam_sig.png
    So apparently the Geforce Experience has been updated, and shadowplay now can livestream to Twitch. I tested it out earlier with Saints Row IV, and it appears to work. On medium quality though, I guess my upload speeds aren't fast enough because it would cut out after about 45 seconds. On low quality though it worked fine. Too bad low quality looks terrible. Here it is anyway though if you want to have a look.

(Saints Row IV spoilers, sort of... it's just gameplay and a bit of homoeroticism near the end)
    Pretty neat stuff! Now I just need a better internet connection to make actual use of it.

Steam | Twitch
    edited December 2013
    So I got my Shield for Christmas and have been playing with it for a couple of days now. Very quick first impressions:
    • It feels very solidly built and sturdy.
    • Gamepad feels pretty good. Not quite as good as a 360 controller, but close. The slightly recessed sticks and the placement of the shoulder bumpers will take some getting used to.
    • Fast. Android is smooth as butter on this thing, along with pretty much any game I've thrown at it so far.
    • TegraZone, the games designed with the Shield in mind, are meh. A few good games, but most I'm not crazy about. They need to build up that library.
    • They weren't kidding when they said game streaming from your PC requires a 5ghz dual band router. I got it working on my 2.4 ghz wireless g router, but the quality was craptastic and it disconnected often. Looks like I'll be upgrading my router soon.
    • GRID, their cloud-based gaming service, is surprisingly good. Need to mess around with that more.

I'll try to give more impressions later after I've had more time with it and get a decent router to really test out the game stream features. In the meantime, if anyone has any specific questions or want me to test out something, let me know.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Soon after my last post I did in fact upgrade my router to a dual-band 5ghz model, and this improved game streaming dramatically. I've played through a few games already solely on the Shield, such as Saints Row IV, Steamworld Dig, Arkham Asylum, and Hotline Miami, and all of them worked really well. There are occasional times when the thing has hiccups, or when there is a lot of interference and it doesn't stream very well, but I'd say these are few and far between. Note also that I'm actually running wirelessly from my PC to the Router too, instead of the wired ethernet connection they recommend, and it still works fine.

The experience is very much like the off-screen feature of the Wii U. It's perfectly responsive and looks great. Most of the time I don't notice any lag whatsoever between input and responsiveness on screen, which was critical in games like Steamworld Dig and Hotline Miami which required very fine, precise controls.

There was a firmware issue for a while where streaming was having problems, and they issued a quick fix where you could limit the gamestream to 30 fps in order to limit compression issues, and this is what I used for most of these. However, they just recently released a new update which greatly improves streaming. I was playing The Swapper last night at 60 FPS and it looked absolutely fantastic on the Shield.

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this thing like I am, and if this thread is any indication the answer to that is probably no. Still, I feel compelled to let people know that if you have the money and the hardware to run it correctly, this thing is a pretty great investment. I simply cannot stress enough how awesome it is to sit downstairs in my recliner and play a full blown triple-A game like Saints Row IV on highest graphical settings and chat with my wife while watching TV. Or how great it is to simply plug the Shield into the TV downstairs, grab a couple of controllers, and stream everything right to that TV just like I'm playing it upstairs. Or to play stuff like the Android versions of GTA San Andreas and Max Payne with full controller support and buttery smooth framerates. I'm even considering purchasing an AR Drone with my tax return money to see how well it controls with the Shield.

Overall, it's been a pretty great investment for me, and I don't think this little guy gets nearly as much credit as it deserves. If anyone has any specific questions about it, let me know and I'll be happy to post answers, pics, videos, whatever.

Steam | Twitch
    I would kill for one but I am runnning an AMD setup.

Yeah, it's a shame you have to have such a specific setup to get maximum value out of this thing. The biggest surprise cost was not the video card (because that is made clear up front that it only supports specific cards), but the router. You absolutely have to have a high-quality, 5ghz gigabit dual-band router if you want to use game streaming the way it was intended. These routers are not cheap, and even though they're recommended on nvidia's site, I don't think it's clear to everyone why getting such a specific high-speed router is important for streaming PC games.

This is one of the things I'm not too sure that the Steam Streaming beta stuff has been entirely clear about. I've read a few first impressions that weren't too great, and I'm certain that in all cases it was because they did not have the router hardware to get a smooth experience.

Overall though, once you have everything you need, it's pretty game-changing. I just really like what nvidia is doing in general with the Geforce Experience stuff overall. Even in beta, Shadowplay itself is a killer feature, and just letting the software automatically handle my driver updates and game optimizations and stuff is very convenient. The game streaming to Shield is also constantly improving. As long as they keep supporting the GFE software and making improvements, I'm solidly behind Nvidia for a long time to come.

Steam | Twitch
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    i just got a 780ti..... its amazing....

and now one of these.... hrm.. how laggy is streaming games to it?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    If you have a good router? There is virtually no detectable lag.

Steam | Twitch
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    If you have a good router? There is virtually no detectable lag.

n but single band..... that cover it?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Maybe, maybe not. From what I've read, the single-band routers are pretty hit-or-miss in terms of performance for game streaming. The main issue is the large amount of interference most people have on the 2.4 ghz band from all the other stuff in their home (and outside of it) that uses the same frequency. If you have too many other devices, like phones, consoles, etc, you're probably going to see too much interference to have a good experience. This is why nvidia recommends the dual-band routers, because you see way less noise on the 5 ghz frequency and you end up with a much better connection.

If nothing else, if you're getting one either way, just give it a shot and see how it works. Some people have said their single band router worked just fine with it, so maybe you'll have the same experience. There's actually a spreadsheet here where people have reported their experiences with different brands of routers streaming to the Shield, so if you can find yours there it might give you a good idea of what to expect. For me, the experience was not good and I had to upgrade, but you might have better luck.

Steam | Twitch
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I just got a new video card for my pc and they sent me all sorts of ads for the Shield. It really does look awesome. Soooo tempting but I just can't afford it. Le Sigh. Hopefully they continue making them and I can get one in the future.

I want to pick one of these up, but I think I'll wait for a generation of the hardware/software and the price to drop a bit.

steam_sig.png