As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 out now!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh wait would we... Call him a werewolf? I was wondering about that

Because he can transform, but the Big Bad Wolf of the stories is not generally considered to have been a werewolf or have shape changing powers

I don't really think he counts as a werewolf, since his human form is purely the result of a glamour.

IKknkhU.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    After making a quick search, it seems that Bigby started as the traditional Big Bad Wolf then was infected with lycanthropy so he can take on a human form

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Oh wait would we... Call him a werewolf? I was wondering about that

Because he can transform, but the Big Bad Wolf of the stories is not generally considered to have been a werewolf or have shape changing powers

I don't really think he counts as a werewolf, since his human form is purely the result of a glamour.

I don't think it's a glamour
    It's not presented with the same effect as the other two in the bar dropping theirs

Gatsby wrote: »
    After making a quick search, it seems that Bigby started as the traditional Big Bad Wolf then was infected with lycanthropy so he can take on a human form

Oh well that's convenient then

Gatsby wrote: »

Oh well that's convenient then

Oh, really?

How the hell did I finish the entire War arc in the comics and not realize that?

I thought he had a glamour the whole time.

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well, he's also a shapeshifter by nature

He just never used those powers, so lycanthropy kind of gave his ability to shift to human form the extra kick that it needed

It's why he has four forms, generally: person, hairy person, werewolf guy (very hairy person), and The Big Bad Wolf, where the first three are just different flavors of dude and the last one is this enormous elemental monster

dN0T6ur.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Taken from Wikipedia
    Due to Snow White's possession of a lycanthropy-stained knife, he is now a werewolf and can change between wolf form, human form and an intermediate "wolfman" stage at will (in "The Great Fables Crossover", it is revealed that Bigby's nature as one of the North Wind's sons allows him to change forms at will - even without Snow White's magic knife - though he favors wolf, man and wolfman forms).

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Man, I read the entire War part of Fables and I didn't know any of that stuff either. I just assumed it was some kind of innate ability.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    They talk about it pretty explicitly in a bunch of the trades

There's one in particular, I think it's called Wolves in America or summat, that deals with the fallout of Bigby's lycanthropy

I kind of wonder how his ability to shapeshift outside of his lycanthropy is going to come into play as the series ends. Guess we'll see soon

dN0T6ur.png
    Could he shapeshift into something that everyone doesn't hate

Could he shapeshift into someone who isn't an alcoholic?

Huh Bigby? COULD YOU?

edited November 2013
    n/m

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    So who
    didn't go to Toad's first? Everyone I know who played went to Toad's first. I want to know what happened, since Dee being in that closet covered in blood is more than a little suspicious.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    So who
    didn't go to Toad's first? Everyone I know who played went to Toad's first. I want to know what happened, since Dee being in that closet covered in blood is more than a little suspicious.

I checked out both paths last night
    If you go to Lawrence's first, you find him alive, having tried to shoot himself in the heart but was a little off
    While you're talking to him someone comes to the door so they tell Lawrence to keep playing dead and Bigby and Snow hide in the closet and see Dee come in an wander around and look at stuff in the apartment

During this time Lawrence will try to shoot himself again so you need to bust out of the closet at some point to prevent it, at which point you then give chase to Dee just like in the other path

Oh man, GG.
    Nice catch on the ginger guy. I totally noticed him the second time through as someone I passed during the chase, but I didn't see him driving the cab. Interesting! I don't recognize him from the comics either...

My first playthrough I did as a nice guy, went to Toad's first, and accused the pimp. I didn't rip Grendel (?)'s arm off and tried to make peace with the Woodsman.

The second time though? TOTAL DICK. But I saved Prince Laurence, and accused Bluebeard because cutting the heads off ladies is pretty much his favourite hobby. The [glass him] option was just too good not to do. I did feel like a terrible person with all the sobbing in the background after tearing Gren's arm off though... My nice guy playthrough will definitely be my main one. (Although, the Giant Bomb guys made a silent playthrough pretty tempting on their recent Quick Look of the game...)

I'm pretty excited for the next chapter! Apparently the new TWD season is supposed to start next month. The Giant Bomb guys were suggesting that they might alternate month-to-month with Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead releases, which would make sense.

Steam
    Trailer for episode 2! Coming first week of February I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsypAtacXDQ

fucking finally

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    oh that's coolneat I just finished the first part a few weeks ago.

this thing is pretty good

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Gotta resist watching that trailer.

Gonna go in completely blind for my live stream.

IKknkhU.gif
    yesssssssss

Steam
    Mmmm yeah need me some more of this, need me some more real bad

You made me wait a while, TellTale, but I'm ready

dN0T6ur.png
    Steam
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so this is out now

pretty great, some stuff happened

looking forward to the next one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Just downloaded this episode with only 10 percent of my data cap left. Hope it is good as episode 1

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited February 2014
    it is so good

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    This episode was fantastic omg.

Steam
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I have a minor gripe with the pacing near the end of the episode, but yeah it's pretty great.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    This plot... wow, i can kinda guess what happens now though. But the whole episode was so good. I cannot get over how great the art style and facial expressions and voice acting is.

• SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Be the Bigby you wanna be. Any choices you make, you will get an enjoyable playthrough.

Also, Bluebeard is voiced by the magnificent Dave Fennoy.

On a side note, Broken Age is fucking brilliant. It feels great to play a Schafer adventure game again; it's a worthy follow-up to Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. However, I'm not sure if Broken Age will appeal to folks who don't have two decades worth of nostalgic baggage from playing graphic adventure games, from Sierra through LucasArts.

But I really hope it does, and I hope it reinvigorates this genre that was declared dead fifteen years ago.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This is weird. I can't move the cursor with the sticks. Buttons work, d-pad works, but I just get four dots in the center of the screen and a non-moving cursor. I don't wanna have to play this with a mouse.

Which is something I never thought I'd say about an adventure game.

Edit: Oh that's why, apparently both of my sticks have just stopped working completely.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited February 2014
    I don't think it is a complaint but just something I thought was funny about EPISODE TWO
    the moment Crane showed up at the body and started acting like a nervous shit I was basically just yelling at my computer that he was the gross creepy snow fetishist

because I've read stories and watched movies

that said, it was even more gross and creepy than I'd guessed and I don't think he is the murderer because of his whole bit at the start before snow showed up but it'll be nice to let snow slap him around once or twice

Just about this game in general: I really love the way the options you have to choose from are all valid choices for Bigby depending on your read of the character in general and of his motivations in that moment is really well done and how this game has pulled me into it and made me try and make choices that I think Bigby would make.

I felt like I'd betrayed that a little at the start of ep 2 with how restrained I was having Bigby act, but then He was able to honestly tell Snow that he hadn't laid a finger on tweedle and I was like "yes this is exactly right"

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    So I've tried playing Episode 2 four times now, but cannot proceed past the "Previously on WAU" thing.

Everytime, it has weird graphical glithces; entire backgrounds are entirely black, Mr Toad's eyes are nonexistent (which looks downright horrifying), and the game full-on crashes once Snow White's scene in the taxi. I tried fiddling with the graphics, but nothing has changed.

Has anyone been getting this, or do I just need to reinstall the game?

Skylark wrote: »
    Be the Bigby you wanna be. Any choices you make, you will get an enjoyable playthrough.

On a side note, Broken Age is fucking brilliant. It feels great to play a Schafer adventure game again; it's a worthy follow-up to Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. However, I'm not sure if Broken Age will appeal to folks who don't have two decades worth of nostalgic baggage from playing graphic adventure games, from Sierra through LucasArts.

But I really hope it does, and I hope it reinvigorates this genre that was declared dead fifteen years ago.

Man, I would kill for a cleaned up remake of Grim Fandango. I played that game for the first time two years ago, and it was just so good.

I've started on Broken Age but haven't gotten too far yet in either plotline. I just haven't gotten too into either side of the story yet! Do you know how long the first episode is assuming you've finished it yet?

Steam
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I don't think it is a complaint but just something I thought was funny about EPISODE TWO
    the moment Crane showed up at the body and started acting like a nervous shit I was basically just yelling at my computer that he was the gross creepy snow fetishist

that said, it was even more gross and creepy than I'd guessed and I don't think he is the murderer because of his whole bit at the start before snow showed up but it'll be nice to let snow slap him around once or twice

Just about this game in general: I really love the way the options you have to choose from are all valid choices for Bigby depending on your read of the character in general and of his motivations in that moment is really well done and how this game has pulled me into it and made me try and make choices that I think Bigby would make.

I felt like I'd betrayed that a little at the start of ep 2 with how restrained I was having Bigby act, but then He was able to honestly tell Snow that he hadn't laid a finger on tweedle and I was like "yes this is exactly right"

Man, I think it's partially because I read the Adversary arc of Fables, but...

I really just didn't see it coming! I suppose I also was focused entirely on the game and didn't give myself time to actually think about things as the story went along, but...

I didn't know you could tell Snow you didn't even touch Tweedle. I don't know if I had that option, though I treated him like a king in the interrogation room... Hm. Maybe because Bluebeard started hitting him after I tried talking to him, I don't know.

I was trying to play Good Guy Bigby the whole game, but goddamn did Georgie make me angry. I definitely broke a few things in the club.

Steam
    Cello wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Man, I think it's partially because I read the Adversary arc of Fables, but...

I really just didn't see it coming! I suppose I also was focused entirely on the game and didn't give myself time to actually think about things as the story went along, but...

I didn't know you could tell Snow you didn't even touch Tweedle. I don't know if I had that option, though I treated him like a king in the interrogation room... Hm. Maybe because Bluebeard started hitting him after I tried talking to him, I don't know.

I was trying to play Good Guy Bigby the whole game, but goddamn did Georgie make me angry. I definitely broke a few things in the club.

for me it was just
    Crane's demeanor once the glamour was off "she was probably hooking for another troll, who else but a troll could stand to knowingly touch a troll, awful creatures those trolls" and just generally acting cagey and defensive when he had no reason to

still don't think he did the killing though, seems really weird that he would take a picture of him groping lily-snow because he would have needed a third person to take the picture and he went to such lengths to hide his creeping, and then to store those pictures in the room instead of somewhere he could lock them up and look at them privately? Also the photo angle seemed awfully close to the view from the room's window

augh i need the next episode so I can stop guessing at shit

Bigby as a guy who has been a Big Bad Guy for a long time and is tired of it and wants to do better and be a Good Person, especially for/around Snow, is my read of him too. I gave tweedle the four star treatment too, left him his money and did everything but the straps, which I didn't get to click before Bluebeard jumped in. I tried to pull bluebeard off, and I think the option when talking to snow was something like "it wasnt' me"

I forget if it said snow actually took note of that but I sure did

2x39jD4.jpg
    Cello wrote: »

Man, I would kill for a cleaned up remake of Grim Fandango. I played that game for the first time two years ago, and it was just so good.

I've started on Broken Age but haven't gotten too far yet in either plotline. I just haven't gotten too into either side of the story yet! Do you know how long the first episode is assuming you've finished it yet?

Act 1 took me three hours to finish.

IKknkhU.gif
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I KNEW Bluebeard sounded like Lee.

Damn it Xbox gimme the episode I already paid for

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Episode 2 more than the first, but that's probably because I've gotten a better idea of the characters and their situation.

Episode 1 felt really weird because I didn't have a handle on the basic rules of the setting. When (and I guess episode 1 spoilers?)
    Bigby and Woody go through the wall and hit a lamp post I thought I'd truly fucked things up for a minute.
    It didn't help that I knew these were established characters, so it felt like I was trying to roleplay someone I had no idea about.

In the end that kind of helped form my own Bigby. I started out staying silent only until I wanted to ask a question or when answering one. So he's become this mixture of menacing, calculating and honest- and it's testament to the writing that it doesn't come off as schizophrenic.

Also, [...] responses never cease to amaze with their results.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...that's kind of true to his character. Bigby is the Big Bad Wolf gone straight.

So you can play him either way and have it still feel like the same character.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Now that I've played it...

Ep 2 wasn't as good as episode 1, which is a shame considering how damn long it took them.

Luckily, "not as good as episode 1" doesn't mean "not good", so they still got me.
    I don't think Crane is the guy. If someone can glamour themselves to look like Snow White, they can glamour themselves to look like Crane. And surely Beauty would notice if Crane showed up. She noticed "Snow", after all, even if she then dismissed it.

Also, daaaaamn but you're a thickheaded Mr. Wolf sometimes, Bigby. Yes, yes, everyone does keep saying that their lips are sealed, some do it while looking at you like you just fell off the dumb ladder and smacked into every rung on the way down. Think that might mean something?

Gimme the next one now. Like, right now.

euj90n71sojo.png