A weak-willed, non-calling, not-quite-sales employee?

2»

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I think the email is unnecessarily dramatic. Just talk to the guy directly. Think of it as a growth experience.

If you can't even do that, then a straightforward email is best, given how you've described his personality. Say what you want (the job you signed up for), why you want it (it's what I signed up for), and what you're willing to do to go back to doing it (quit). Right now you are trying to couch everything in an attempt to be nice and "soften the blow", but what you're really doing is obfuscating the issue (is it your hours that's the problem? what the hell is <redacted>?) and being really over-the-top with the "woe is me" stuff.

Normally I'd advise you to go into business-speak mode and go through the asinine exercise of writing a business plan as to why your recommendation is a good idea, but in this case I'm pretty sure your "entrepreneur" boss wouldn't actually read it and wouldn't care (i.e., his opinion is always what's best for business, and his opinion is that you should be selling).

I can't understate the importance of being direct and honest in this kind of environment. Also, the last few lines of this email are just a bad idea. Indirectly recommending that he be the one to sell his product is ballsy on a very passive-aggressive level, and likely won't go over well. It's a point that an adviser or an outsider can easily make, but given you are a low-level employee (and a recent hire at that) he's likely just going to take it as a slap in the face, given how obvious it is. Similarly, telling him that it's HIS business on the line is ridiculous, given it's also YOUR job. That line alone would be pretty easy grounds for a firing.

CambiataceresDarkewolfeArbitraryDescriptor
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Phone calls with the pressure to 'make a sale' with the fate of *YOUR* company riding on it,
    Don't say that. As long as you work there it is:
    'The company'
    or
    'Our company'

Never 'Your company', not in this context, and certainly not with that emphasis. It implies that you are not invested in the success of the enterprise that pays you, and no manager wants a guy like that on the team.

CambiataAldo