As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

John Dies at the End (Coming soon to theaters!)

2»

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    Motherfucker I was 3/4 through when this revamp crap took it all down. Gaahhh.
    Same. I stopped for the night because I had work the next morning, thinking, "it will be here when I get home tomorrow." Little did I know... :(

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Somebody said my name, asked if I was okay. I didn't answer, the sound of the commotion dying around me as the heavy monkey of sleep rested its warm, hairy ass on my eyelids.

He just sold himself a copy.

God, I wasn't expecting that sentence.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man... i ignored this link... now i started reading...

and I got dicked, because its in sections. Man.. fuck that guy for wanting to make money. I still might buy it though, it *is* an interesting read so far.

Some lines are a little amaturish, but overall its pretty captivating.

damn.. archive link doesn't work... dammit

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Halo spoilers?!?! NO!!1 Lock it!

No, I didn't need to read his post. No one ever does, this is the internet. Books can be burnt without being read, y'know.

(I actually really like the story, I need to steal this writer's mojo.)

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Man... i ignored this link... now i started reading...

and I got dicked, because its in sections. Man.. fuck that guy for wanting to make money. I still might buy it though, it *is* an interesting read so far.

Some lines are a little amaturish, but overall its pretty captivating.

damn.. archive link doesn't work... dammit
    You sure? Try clicking on the links to individual pages at the bottom of the index page. Those work for me.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I keep getting failed connection... then i keep trying, and get a page or 3.. then fail... its slow.. and it makes my heart sink if i cant read anymore

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    That's because he's altering the online version to match the print version, which is kinda bullshit.
    Some of the changes he made to the print version, especially the music, I understand. But leave the old version alone.
    If he changes the part where
    John fights the guys, at a hospital I think
    I'm going to be pissed. That was one of the funniest parts. That, and the whole thing at the mall.
    EDIT: Apparently, John decided to write his side of the story. I found a link to it on their forums. It reads pretty much like David's version of JDATE, but apparently, he's working on writing more of his version and adding that John Cheese-flavor to what's already written. Link.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    After a marathon session last night, I am very close to the end.. the first half of the book was great, the second half tends to drone on and on.

Fluffy, the
    levitating golden retriever
    still makes me lol.

Edit: ......And..... i finished it. Man, what?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alright, this is quite the necropost, but there are two news items relating to JDatE I thought everyone should know:

1) The full novel is now up online again - he just posted the final section a couple weeks ago I think. So if you were reading it before when he was re-uploading it in sections, you can now go read the whole thing.

2) John Dies at the End is going to become a movie! Don Coscarelli, the guy who wrote and directed Bubba Ho-Tep, has aquired the film rights to JDatE. Anyone who has seen Bubba Ho-Tep knows that he is pretty much the perfect person to make a film adaptation of this book, so I'm pretty excited.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still haven't seen Bubba Ho-Tep but from what I've been told it sounds like this guy is right for the job. Mostly though, I just want David to write part 3.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Is there like, a mirror to the parts he's editing? I just started it.
    Here's an archived version of the site before he relaunched. The main link doesn't work, but you can go to the story directly through the index at the bottom of the page. That link works for now, but I don't know for how long. So read as much as you can.
    I threw money at the problem and a book should be arriving eventually. Thanks though, this should help time go by.

waitaminute Amazon never shipped me my book and I guess I forgot about it after the thread died out. Goddammit.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw Bubba Ho-Tep in the theater.

I swear I still can't make up my mind as to whether I hated it or loved it. Such a weird fucking movie.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That seems to be pretty much how most people feel about JDatE as well, so it's probably a match made in heaven.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw Bubba Ho-Tep just the other day, and it manages to blend comedy and seriousness in just the same way that JDatE does. So I'm hugely excited. Bubba Ho-Tep's soundtrack was excellent, I hope they get the same guy to work on JDatE.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    where does it say that david wong isnt his real name?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't think it says it anywhere on the book itself, but it's a pseudonym. His real name is Jason Pargrin or something like that. The characters of John Cheese and David Wong in the book are based on the online personalities that run his website.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How will they handle the wang content..?

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I saw Bubba Ho-Tep in the theater.

I swear I still can't make up my mind as to whether I hated it or loved it. Such a weird fucking movie.

It gave me one of my favorite random phrases to use: "By the unwinking brown-eye of Ra!"

Echo on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This movie has the potential to be utterly great. I really hope the humor translates well into film

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

None of it is overly critical, it'd be easy enough to cut if they have to.

jothki on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, John Dies at the End is about my favorite non-Stephen King horror novel. I read it online at first, then bought it and read it again.

The only disappointing change made was:
    At the beginning after the guy on the phone defeated the meat monster, John picked up the phone, listened for a second and said "Steppenwolf". In the book, the guy had already hung up. That was one of my favorite gags. :(

Nova_C on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jothki wrote: »

None of it is overly critical, it'd be easy enough to cut if they have to.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that nobody wants to see the wangs get cut.

gtrmp on