As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Coolies, i notice when NSW/VIC get their pins in the mail i get mine the next day, heres hoping!

I WAS WRONG :'(:'(:'( WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL, OH PIN LORD

didnt come today :(

Ayefkay on
    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    WOW - the DLC pin auction ended at $1,025

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm excited for my KI stuff to get here. I still think I am going to wait until I get most of the pins to puncture the display box. Or I'll just do it when my next two get here.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I'm excited for my KI stuff to get here. I still think I am going to wait until I get most of the pins to puncture the display box. Or I'll just do it when my next two get here.

I did it as soon as I got the first two. haha.

Ajaxon wrote: »

I actually figured it would go for a lot higher to be honest. The other two have gone for ~2500 that have sold I think.

• DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Considering what they've gone for before that's a pretty good price.

Congratulations to who ever won it, if I'd had any spare cash I would have fought you pretty hard for it :P

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
    Duckie wrote: »

Considering what they've gone for before that's a pretty good price.

I had no idea there were a couple others that went for over twice as 00fayt00 was saying. Wow.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It jumped $600 in the last 2 minutes... I threw in a bid at $410 just for shits, it was at $450 seconds later, and then $1025 a minute later. Crazy.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    It jumped $600 in the last 2 minutes... I threw in a bid at $410 just for shits, it was at $450 seconds later, and then $1025 a minute later. Crazy.

I think that the price of Pins will always be heavily dictated by the surrounding PAX furore. If that Pin was being auctioned in April it would have gone for a lot more. Whoever got it picked up a bargain.

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    If anyone has the blue pinny arcade cardboard that came with the pins I would love extra for my shadow box.WIN_20140205_194810_zps01f51fe6.jpg

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think I threw out my extra ones when I took all the pins off the other day. I'll probably have one in the future if someone doesn't get one to you first.

You...threw.....them out?!

If anything, hold on to them and use them as trade bait. Pin back + pin is definitely worth more than just a pin (trading wise in my mind).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    How many do you need? I have 3; send me a PM.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    You...threw.....them out?!

I'm not a monster!

I put them into the recycling bin!

I've saved pretty much all of mine, never know when you'll need 'em!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    I've actually kept the limited edition backings, but I'm either displaying most of these pins or I'm not.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

I think that the price of Pins will always be heavily dictated by the surrounding PAX furore. If that Pin was being auctioned in April it would have gone for a lot more. Whoever got it picked up a bargain.

I think this may be closer to the "true" price of the DLC pin. If my memory is correct, this is the first pure auction for one. The previous one ended at a negotiated price. We will have to wait until a few more come on the market to be sure. The price does worry me though, it will not be long before fakes start showing up.

This was the first true 'Auction' for one, but I don't see this as the true price.

I think that the price is probably up around what the others sold as(~2500), and this one just went cheap. Not only that, as has been mentioned before we are in between Pax events, which is also driving costs down currently.

The fakes this is worrying, but we can't do anything about it until that actually happens. Hopefully it doesn't and the trading stays pure. :).

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I've got a bunch of backings, regular and limited edition. I keep them, even though I use the cut-up poster as backings for my corkboard. If anyone wants a few, let me know!

• brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I don't know how worried we need to be about fakes. It's an issue for Disney, but Disney is like having 2-3 PAXes every day, it's a different magnitude of scale. Is it really going to be worth it to fake DLC for the handful of people able and willing to shell out $1000+? Even if it is worth it, we'll notice pretty quickly when they start popping up regularly shipping from Asia. Everything else seems to have a regular supply through the community or eBay, so where will the counterfeiters make money?

You can make money with scrapers from Disney because thousands of people are going to the parks daily and getting involved in a hobby that has been going for 15 years and has a giant retired catalog. We're too small and too spread out to have to worry about it.

• VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    One thing I've found in all my years of collecting stuff is there is no "true" price.

When I was a kid, I loved collecting those old Kenner Star Wars figures from the 80s, right around when eBay was first starting up. I'd spend practically every dollar I had on those things. One day my Dad brought home this big thick guidebook that had every single figure from the line and a price the figure was valued at.

That price never, ever matched what the figures were going for on eBay. I bought some for way less, I even bought a couple for more.

Indeed, I make it a point to not buy stuff off eBay anymore unless I can get it for half off the "market" price, because the "market" price can go either direction. We all expect the DLC pin to rise in value as more people enter into the pin collecting community; but it can just as easily go down. Maybe the pins never get any more popular than they are now. Maybe eventually people just get bored of the hobby. The same ebb and flow you see in pin values in relation to the Pax shows you see on a larger scale over several years.

A couple of years ago I bought a holographic Charizard card of ebay for 8 bucks, a card that not even five years earlier would have gone for 500. There's no sense in paying 50 bucks for a Chandra pin when I can get it for 15, which I did, just last week.

If people want to know how much their DLC pin is worth, it's worth however much you can sell it for. When I sold things on eBay in the past, I found that looking at the average auction ending price and adding at max 25% again to it will give you a buy-it-now price people will go for.

It's a safe bet that you can get at least a thousand out of a DLC pin. The guy who listed his so cheaply knew that. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, listing an item for dirt cheap, because generally the only time the auction ends at anything near that dirt cheap price is if you've incorrectly labeled the item to a degree that no one can find it. If you list the item for $1000, you'll probably get a bunch of people asking you to sell it at a lower price. If you list it for $100, all those people will bid on it, but they'll still lose to the guy who would have paid the $1000 anyway.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
    I agree that it is whatever people will pay for it, and I also agree that it will all depends on who collects and how many new collectors are pulled in. However, I think that however long PAX event's keep going, and as long as PA keeps producing pins and don't let that idea stale....they will be collectable. Gaming is an industry that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and PA has a rather large following.

I'll be honest, I didn't know about PA before last year. When it was first starting I was still rather young after all. I'm one of the "new" people to Pa, and new collectors also.

If for some reason PAX/PA doesn't continue and stops...then yes...the price will drop, but I think that otherwise it will stay popular. The price will flux a lot given the nature of the PAX events being only a few times a year is my guess...and as you said there won't be a 'true' price for most pins...but I hope that the collecting stays strong and popular as I enjoy the community that has been created. :)

Of course, this is my feelings on it...and also my hopes as they will only keep creating pins as long as there is demand for them I'm sure....and I like my pins. :)

edited February 2014
    Had a sneak peak at a new Automata pin on the stream today, its a head and shoulder bust of the robot...forget his name, but it looked great :D

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
    Did they mention if it was part of a set?

bYf6vNQ.png
    mike only referred to it as 'the automata pin'. few people asked including myself if it was a set but nobody answered, its tough getting your questions answered as there are so many people in the stream doing the same thing.

i was also a little cheeky and asked him if he had anything to say about criticisms to valentines day pin, he chuckled a little and said no but hes sorry i didnt like it,

i lol'd

8fuuo_RK.png
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I love the Automata art, so I'm very excited for the pin.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I've missed the last few streams because Work, which is just such bullshit. But I should be able to make todays, and hopefully grab some screenshots.

Also, we are close to the February FAQ, so if anyone has questions I'll start compiling them.

• CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    From Jerry's most recent post: "There’s a higher tier with an exclusive Pinny Arcade pin and ten bucks store credit every six months, if you want to go that route."

Looks like my next purchasing decision just got made.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
    YUP.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Cowpuppy wrote: »
    From Jerry's most recent post: "There’s a higher tier with an exclusive Pinny Arcade pin and ten bucks store credit every six months, if you want to go that route."

Looks like my next purchasing decision just got made.

I'm throwing all my credit cards at the screen and nothing is happening!

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Saw that post on my news feed, pulled up that news post hoping to sign up for Club PA immediately and without question, and it ended up leaving me wanting Monday's info right now. The torture...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one that hates this?

Yes.

PedroAsani wrote: »

Yes.

To me, Club PA is probably the way to go for them long term. Most people just want the comic and don't even know about the other stuff. Some want to see more Eyrewood and Automata, and some want to Get All The Things. Guess where I fall on that spectrum, and probably most other Pin Pals will as well.

I would expect that the higher tier comes with Other Bonuses, and it isn't just going to be a Pin Tier. But they know that giving a heads up is the way to go on Pin stuff, so there it is. Otherwise they would get accusations of Blindsidery on Monday when the Official Announcement comes out.

• VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I wasn't around for the old Club PA. Anybody have any idea what kind of price-range we're talking here?

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
    Interesting...

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    I wasn't around for the old Club PA. Anybody have any idea what kind of price-range we're talking here?

I doubt any information from their site 15 years ago to bear much relevance to what they are thinking this time around. *sigh* we wait.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I like the idea of a pin pal club. Sounds very good.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
    "There’s a higher tier with an exclusive Pinny Arcade pin and ten bucks store credit every six months, if you want to go that route."

Do you think this means we get a pin every six months? Or you get a pin when you sign up, then the store credit is every six months? MONDAY IS TOO FAR AWAY

I really didn't interpret this as a pinny arcade club specifically, 'club pa' is going to be their way of monetizing their business. And an (just one) exclusive pin plus a $10 voucher in the store every 6 months will be one of the tiers on the kickstarter revealing on Monday.

who knows though, maybe down the line there will be exclusive pins to club pa members. But that's not what's specified here.

$150 was for the DLC pin tier, im guessing about the same for this one. Maybe less, doubt more.

8fuuo_RK.png
    Oh for fucks sake.

My first attempt at recording, and I get a Supreme victory. I end the recording and am greeted with "Sorry, we couldn't record that. (0x80004005)"

Really?

This discussion has been closed.