As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] 13th Age: Darskye-fall: Into the Wild Wood

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Barthas, not quite sure what to make of Clank's mechanicalness, casts a healing spell on the injured automaton and hopes for the best.

Clank can use a recovery, with a bonus 2 HP.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Clank

The machinery of the automaton, remembering their previous configuration, knit themselves back together with the assistance of the proffered magic. "Thank you," Clank rumbles.

For a moment, the creature stares at Proof as he vomits. "Death is part of the cycle, dwarf. These will not be the first, nor the last. Those that serve the forces of chaos and destruction will reap what they sow. They attacked us."

Recoveries: 7/8
    Minion, roll 1d8+3 for Recovery
    HP: 17/24

Recovery:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]

jdarksun on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Stats
    Barthas - 18/21 HP - AC16, PD12, MD12
    Clank - 17/24 HP - AC17, PD14, MD14
    Proof - 24/24 HP - AC13, PD12, MD11
    Farkas - 12/21 HP - AC13, PD13, MD11
    Talfryn - 30/30 HP - AC16, PD14, MD11
    Yancey - 21/27 HP - AC17, PD14, MD13

Erin The Red on
    I'm at 18/21 unless I missed some damage somewhere. I healed myself as part of my last combat turn.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Farkas stares at the note while the greenhorns puke and cry. I did think this was odd, grabbing volunteers instead of trained knights to do such a mission. But how did they know we were coming?

"I don't need your tea. But this whole thing stinks to the higher heavens." Farkas reads the note out loud then looks at the group. "Bucket O'Bolts is right, this isn't the last deaths we are going to see. Doesn't seem odd that they are sending strangers like us to protect a magically sealed prison? That theses guys were waiting for us? These aren't the kinds of questions I like not having answered in my line of work. We got two choices. Well, three but I'm not going to just quit when someone sets me up. We either continue to the prison, act like we just meet some bandits and killed them, but say nothing about the note or we go back to this mission giver and ask him a few..." The halfling spins his dagger in his hand. "...pointed questions."

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Talfryn calms himself and wipes the blood from his sword. "Kidnapping, extortion, and deceit all in one," he says. "It's like being back in the Wood, only messier."

"I say we press on. The easiest way to find a trap is to spring it."

Geth roll 1d20 for Rage recharge

Rage recharge:
    1d20 16 [1d20=16]

Whoops, I forgot to add my Con modifier, but I got 16+ anyway, so I can rage again today

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Proof is gonna take a quick peek at the skin mask. Maybe see if any magic is coming off of it.

Addressing Farkas, as he wanders over to the corpse of the old man, "Look, we can ask all the questions we need ta ask when we've done what we were sent to do. I'm with master Swanfury on this one. Clearly they've underestimated us. I don't like it, but the one upside of not leaving anyone alive is they won't know our number or our strength."

@TheRoadVirus: Does Proof notice anything about the mask? I'm going to pre-emptively roll a sense magic style check, including the Roland bonus.

Also, Proof is going to burn the body of the old man with Burning Hands once he's done and everyone is out of the blast radius.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Creepy Skin Mask Inspection

Creepy Skin Mask Inspection:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]

Oats on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Based on your inspections, it seems that the mask was created more for intimidation than any sort of actual magic. It doesn't seem to possess any properties aside from being really gross

Proof burns the old man and his mask of skin to ash, then urinates sloppily on the pile.

He chugs one of the flasks marked XXX. You are fairly sure he didn't taste it.

"Let's go."

edited February 2014
    Barthas nods in agreement. "Everyone seems to be in good shape. If you don't mind, I will quickly see to the unfortunate victims of circumstance here," referring to the blackmailed thugs, "and then we can be on our way." While preparing the bodies for a field funeral, Barthas checks if there's any identifying miscellany on the thugs that might enable him to find and notify/warn their families.

bss on
    edited February 2014
    There's nothing on the bodies save for what has already been found. These guys traveled pretty light. Whether by choice or not remains to be seen.

Is the general consensus to move forward, or is that still up for debate?

Erin The Red on
    "Going back is not an option," states the automaton. "We will continue to Darkskye Island, and prevent our enemies from accessing the prison or its mine."

After some slight disorientation from the combat the party manages to pick up the pace and continue on their journey without too much time lost. As the sun is slowly setting in the sky behind them, the party approaches a reinforced stone building with a rather sturdy-looking wall surrounding it. The building is butting up against the edge of a cliff about 400 feet up.

As you all approach the wall, armed guards move to block your entry. "Wait right there, you lot." says the one on the left, who is not tall. "Who are you and what are ye doin' here?" says the right one, who is not short. The polished armor they wear shows little indication of any combat use, if any. These men are probably not very used to combat.

edited February 2014
    Farkas starts to answer but then suddenly starts rambling. "That is a fine question to ask, as we are on a quest, given to us by what seems to be a unsavoury lot but we are still here just the same. And before you draw swords and wands, be it known that we are allies in this cause, to ward off the troubles you currently find yourselves in and make a bit of coin for ourselves. Sir Swanfury, our credentials, if it would please you."

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Its official, I need to stop watching BBC America. Brits ramble so eloquently.

"Darkskye Island protection detail," Clank responds, ignoring Farkas' avoidance of a straight answer.

edited February 2014
    "Protection detail? You lot have any papers to back that up?" asks not-short. "Make it snappy. We ain't got forever, ya know!" says not-tall as he bangs the bottom of his polearm on the paved walkway.

Erin The Red on
    "Of course not," answered the automaton as it reached in its pack for the leather-bound folder. "All things end. Organic life is no different." Clank opened the folder to the mission, and held it up for the guards to read. "The forces of the enemy are in motion. Be wary."

Not-short walks up and grabs the paper for inspection. "Looks official. Has a seal and e'rything." He hands it to not-tall who gives it an appraising glance and nods. "Yeah, looks right. We've been told to expect people anyway." Not-tall hands the paper back to Clank with a raised eyebrow. "You're an interesting looking sort. And you talk funny too. Guess it takes all types to be adventurers." He backs up towards the gate and kicks it three times. "Open up! We got people here on official business!"

After a few moments a seam in the gate opens and the doors slide into the walls. "In ya go. Can't have this gate open for long. Unsavory types out this way sometimes. When you get to the building, ask for Archmagus Bigsby. He's in charge of this whole... setup."

It probably goes without saying, but these folks seem more than a bit paranoid, so Barthas will take it upon himself to don his hood and try to not upset anyone. Maybe the Archmagus will be more understanding.

As you all I assume? make your way inside the gate, the doors slowly roll shut and meet each other with a thick wooden 'POOM'. Off to the left you see a well and some neatly ordered rows of various crops. This place is built to be relatively self-sufficient, it seems. Straight ahead of you is the large stone building you saw when you approached, and there appears to be a smaller building to the right. It is equally well-built and is more than likely a barracks of some form or another.

Where would you like to go?

Talfryn walks straight toward the large building, looking for someone to ask about Archmagus Bigsby.

How long were we on the road?

edited February 2014
    Most of the day. I'd say the sun is starting to get low in the sky at this point. Maybe an hour before it sets, max

Erin The Red on
    Proof is gonna head to the mess in the barracks, see if he can scare up some booze and food, prioritised in that order.

Let's get a personable/sneaky/scrounger type check and see what you can come up with (also lemme know how you're trying to get said things)

He's going to ask the person behind the big counter if they have any booze and/or food for a travelling hero. He's not going to do anything illegal.

Proof probably reckons the fort has something for its off-duty guards, and to keep up morale. He'd likely be charming and affable. Give me a few to write something up. He'd probably default to a funny combat story.

Proof plomps down on a stool in the mess and begins talking to the person running the counter.

Proof: "Hey mate, what have you got for a travelling hero?"

Barperson: "Should I know you, dwarf?"

P: "Of bloody course you should! You ever hear of Proof, the hero of Innocence Falls?"

---Later---

P: "AND THEN I SAY 'WELL YOU STILL HAVEN'T!'"

*If I can add the Initiate of the Golden Wyrm background here, add a 2 to the check
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Uproarious laughter

Uproarious laughter:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

Are you going to tell him about your mission and such, or keeping it secret?

Nah, current mission is going to stay secret.

edited February 2014
    @Oats
    After exchanging stories about glory days and further loosening him up with humor, the man behind the counter seems to be on your side.
    "Hah! Never heard that one before! You're a decent man, Proof. You've a funny name, but that's neither here nor there."
    He looks discretely around the room and then produces a flask and a stoppered bottle and places them on the bench next to Proof.
    "We don't have alcohol here. If you were to bring your own in these here bottles, well, that's not really under our control. But you certainly couldn't get any from the mess," he says before tapping a finger to his nose.
    "We're gonna have an interesting few days here, lad. I'm sure you know Darkskye will be here soon. 's probably why you're here. Like volunteering to work at a port as a hurricane is coming. Madness." He shakes his head for a second and then is full of cheer again. "Anyway! If you need a place to stay for the night you'll either have to snuggle up to that well or go check in at the main building if you've not done so yet."

@Kilroy
    As you enter the building, you notice that it is quite a bit more opulent than it appeared from the outside. There is a chandelier in the middle of the room made of silver and glowing stones that give off a great amount of light. The stone columns set off on both sides of the main walkways seem to have veins of gold and silver running through them and the floors seem to be mostly marble with the main walkways made out of some dark stone that almost seems soft when stepped on. 15 or so feet from you is a large desk with a busy-looking high elf writing in a book. To the left and right past the desk are sets of stairs leading up to the second floor. Directly behind him, the path continues onwards down a hallway to a set of huge double doors with 5 armed guards standing watch in front of it.
    Looking quickly up from her book, the elf looks over at you.
    "Is there something you need, cousin?"

Erin The Red on
    Talfryn is somewhat taken aback to find another high elf here. He touches three fingers to his forehead, a traditional elven salute from a half-remembered life.

"Hail, light-daughter," he says. "I am seeking Archmagus Bigsby. Could you direct me? Or if you have a moment, I am curious about this place and what has brought you so far from the Wood as well."

Going to use my Star Courtier background with a charisma check

Geth roll 1d20+4 for polite conversation

polite conversation:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

also, where exactly are we at this point?

Proof slides a few coins as discreetly as he can manage across the counter, and stashes the bottles into his utility belt.

"Ta, mate. I'd heard Darkskye was an island? What do you mean it will be here soon?"

edited February 2014
    Kilroy wrote: »
    also, where exactly are we at this point?

Geographically, or in relation to your orders?

@Kilroy
    The elf returns your salute. "Certainly. The Archmagus is upstairs in his quarters. He hasn't been out much. Building his energies to prepare for the opening of the portal." She ponders the rest of your request and then looks back at you. "Which would you like to know more about, my history or this place?" She smiles slightly at you.

@Oats
    The man pockets the coins as he looks around for a moment. "What're you doing out here if you don't know anything about the island?" He sighs deeply, leans back with his arms clasped behind him and bends a bit further. You hear a crackle as his back pops a bit. "Standing all day is murder on me. Anyway. Darkskye is an island in the technical sense. Land with no other land around it. No water either, really. She floats in the sky, you see. Thousand feet up or so? There's some magic crystals that keep it up there or something. Never had a mind for the hocus pocus. Guess the whole 'floating' thing helps, seeing as it's used as a prison and all. Bad guys mine crystals and they're used for... more hocus pocus stuff. Powerful, I hear. Don't want it to get into the wrong hands. Word on the street," he says, then lowers his voice, "is that there are some folks planning to come and try to take this place and the prison. Nasty lot, too. You best be careful, you hear? I think we should have some more backup sometime in the next day or two." He tries to give you a reassuring smile as he takes a big swig out of his... cup of 'juice.'

Erin The Red on
    Farkas looks around a bit, looking into the barracks and getting a nasty look from a guard at the armory. Nothing seems different from any army camp he's stolen from. Finally, Farkas comes across what he guesses is a Sargent, a big loud guy barking orders.

"Sir, My name is Hans Lonestar. I'm looking to speak with someone in charge around here. Not a fool who thinks he's in charge while up in his tower, but a real leader who works side by side with the men around here. This Sargent will know more about this place then a lord would. Small folk always do. Just play to their vanity and info pours from them.

Geth roll 1d20+7 for small lies

small lies:
    1d20+7 22 [1d20=15]

Clank does not follow the others in the mess hall; instead, the automaton embarks upon a geometric search for the summoning circle and, once found, positions himself to wait until Darkskye arrives.

Barthas is simply hanging around, maybe getting a table or finding a place for everyone to reconvene. He's lost track of Clank, but not for long, he imagines.

Proof will excuse himself from the barkeep to go talk to Barthas.

They've shed blood together now, and Proof is more interested in getting to know him.

"We're some kind of family now, Red. It's a nasty business, but what the robot and the sociopath said is true. There's more of this to come."

@Grunt's Ghosts
    The Sergeant looks down at you. He's not overly tall, but that doesn't matter much. Even unarmored you're pretty sure this guy could take a sword blow and shrug it off. He is almost comically overmuscular. You're not sure what it was that he ate to get this big but you really hope that the bad guys don't have any of it. "You say you want to speak to someone in charge, but you don't say what you wanna speak to them ABOUT! Time is short! Almost as short as you, whelp! Who are you and what do you want to know?" The man seems willing to speak to you, but doesn't seem used to talking to anyone like they're of equal status to him.

@Jdarksun
    You also find the well-guarded double doors. Based on the response you get from the guards when you approach, you assume that the circle you seek is beyond those doors. Would you like to ask for access to the room, or will you wait out there with the guards?