As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre PAX East Dinner Update

13»

• upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Will the venue have high chairs? Our daughter will be a little over a year old and would need to munch on food in a high chair. Other than that she's already a social butterfly lol.

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Will the venue have high chairs? Our daughter will be a little over a year old and would need to munch on food in a high chair. Other than that she's already a social butterfly lol.

She sounds cute! I can certainly ask about it.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    My friend Bryan and I are coming to PAX East this year and thanks to his new job, we will be able to get to Boston Thursday afternoon and that means...

That we can attend the Pre-PAX dinner! Woooo! Yeah!

I have been away from PAX for too long and I can't wait to see everyone again. I look forward to meeting new people as well.

As far as the dinner details go, it is all sounding good to me. I hereby offer my volunteer services to Delaney.
    I have helped exeucte Pre-PAX dinners with Arco, Astayonix and Electric Turtle.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    One thing to think about when selecting a venue is will our group be loacted on a floor that is only accessible by stairs?
    I can't recall his name at the moment, but there's been a dude in a wheelchair at a few Pre-PAX dinners and we have needed to carry him and his chair up and down the stairs on at least one occasion.
    Carrying him up stairs is not a big deal, but it is not as safe as an elevator.

I do remember that one of the places we went to did have an elevator...

I have a phone conference set up with the event planner for this afternoon and I'm bumping the thread so people will start thinking about the dinner as well.

As it turns out, the event planners/restaurant group I'm looking to work with on this recently opened two new venues in a new facility, exceedingly close to the BCEC. It's half a mile from the BCEC and two-tenths of a mile from the Seaport hotel. I'm sort of curious to look into this as a possible site as well, but I would like to know if there is any interest. Currently, we're looking at one of two places in Faneuil Market.

There will hopefully be more info later today!

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    I would be interested in the Seaport/BCEC location ... I am staying at Seaport with my daughter so that would work out great.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • ebagazareebagazare Registered User regular
    I plan on staying at the Seaport too, so a location closer to there as opposed to Faneuil Market would be awesome!

The event planning arm of the restaurant group I wanted to work with has proven to be rather unprofessional. Until today, they "forgot" to mention they had a minimum for their oh-so-busy Thursday nights. It's way, way over our budget; over anyone's reasonable budget, actually. I find it interesting that for once, they mentioned it being PAX weekend specifically, so I think they are looking to gouge. I thanked them for wasting my time.

Anyway, I shall be scampering back to the drawing board. I've already made some more calls this afternoon and am going to go through the information emailed to me. Initial impressions were good, though, so I'm not so much worried about finding somewhere as I am simply pissed that the first group proved to be so shoddy.

That sux ..... Better luck with the other leads

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I just got off a plane, so I'm not really feeling reading through 3 pages to see if voting is still up, but I would toss a vote behind Hamersley's Bistro. It's not exactly walking distance from the BCEC (what other than that mediocre Irish place in the Westin is, when you get right down to it?), but it is well, WELL worth a journey.

You're coming to PAX. You're on holiday. You should live it up.

• upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Hoping wife will get outta work early enough so we can drive in, check in, and join for dinner but wont know her schedule for that week til closer.

• sobe253sobe253 Registered User regular
    I'm flying in from Seattle for my first ever pax east. Wherever this event goes down at ( if it does) I'd be more than happy to join in.

Okay, folks, update time again and happily, things seem to be falling into place. There is a well-reviewed Irish pub one very short block south of Faneuil Market called The Black Rose. They have a second floor they use for events/busy weekends and are more than happy to open it up for us on Thursday night. There's ample room and we'd have it to ourselves. Some of the areas:

gdad.jpg

9z1p.jpg

The bar will be open for those who wish to purchase stronger beverages and the rooms will be fully staffed. Food would still be a heavy hors d'oeuvres buffet type affair. The menu is currently being developed, but some of the sample items are chicken tenders w/honey mustard, marinated beef skewers, Irish cocktail sausages w/spicy mustard, mini-burgers (sliders), veggie spring rolls, mini-quiches, spinach and artichoke dip, etc. They're also trying to see if they can do mini-Shepherd's pies. That may not work, but it sounds fun.

As for some of the questions that have been asked, the area is wheelchair accessible and high chairs are available, especially with advance notice. The manager seems to be very willing to accommodate us and make things as easy and as fun as possible.

So for those of you who are interesting in attending, keep your eyes on the forums. In the next week, a menu and pricing should solidify and I'll start a new thread with details and signup information. I hope to have signups open for about six weeks, from early February through mid-March. Final numbers and the funds will have to be given to the restaurant in late March.

I look forward to seeing you all in Boston!

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Sadly, I won't be making it this year. But I did want to say thanks to the new team for working so hard to put this together. And especially a huge thankyou for making sure the event is family-friendly. There are so many events that aren't open to kids that it's really important to include them whenever possible. And I don't even have kids - I just remember what it was like to be a teenager who couldn't go to 21+ events. It's one of my pet peeves when the PPD is 21+.

My (unsolicited) 2 cents: LOVE The Black Rose! The food is average (not a vast improvement over Durgin Park) but it's reasonably priced, the venue is big and there's good live music downstairs. Having eaten there a handful of times, just make sure you pound it into the manager's head that you'll need enough staff coverage that night. The staffing there has often been a smidge on the slender side.

One more note re: food. If you're a foodie looking for a foodie experience, the PPD is not the place. It's about meeting other PAXers and getting excited about the con. The food is secondary - especially when the kinds of places that are best for hosting this event are, by necessity, large and cheap. There's loads of really great restaurants in Boston and lots of foodies on the threads. Don't be bashful to set up an alternate PPD at another restaurant for hardcore fans d'cuisine. Something for everybody!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • JtraynorJtraynor Registered User regular
    This sounds awesome, ill def try to attend

That place looks great!

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Black Rose is a good Irish Pub that had a sketchy reputation for the crowd. Private room should be ok, but this would not be what I would call Family Friendly. It is a mix of tourists and locals so the language and noise level on the main floor is usually R-Rated on a good night and NC-17 on normal night.

Dolarrah wrote: »
    Black Rose is a good Irish Pub that had a sketchy reputation for the crowd. Private room should be ok, but this would not be what I would call Family Friendly. It is a mix of tourists and locals so the language and noise level on the main floor is usually R-Rated on a good night and NC-17 on normal night.

I hope it has improved ... would hate to have to pass :-(

• boston_jasonboston_jason Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Love Black Rose - I'm there either Fri or Sat nights. If we get the upstairs, perfect. If not, it will be mobbed downstairs and not family friendly.

boston_jason on
    So up fine down not family friendly .... Got it

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    It will be fine, its just words not actions that are the issue. Bring an ipod for the kids so they can make it up the stairs without hearing the bad words :)

Language I can handle .... From the descriptions it sounded bit rough around the edges ... Would not want to bring her anywhere unsafe.

Love Black Rose - I'm there either Fri or Sat nights. If we get the upstairs, perfect. If not, it will be mobbed downstairs and not family friendly.

No "if" to it. The upstairs will be open for just us. The impression I got was that the upstairs isn't used on weekdays, but that they will use it for functions. I've also told the manager that Eventbrite is usually used to manage attendance at the PPD and he was perfectly fine with it.

It is an Irish pub, so I don't expect it to exactly be quiet and sedate. But I checked a lot of reviews from various sites and nothing negative cropped up as a theme. As for the atmosphere, considering the area we're being given to use, it will likely be whatever we make it. :)

Delaney wrote: »
    No "if" to it. The upstairs will be open for just us.

The downstairs is the same as any typical Fanuel bar on a Thu night. I'll be there this Thursday and will shoot a picture. Private event upstairs? Just check to see what time they make the restaurant 21+. That will be the only challenge.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm kind of surprised to see the Black Rose listed as a dinner spot. I spent a lot (I mean a *lot*) of time there whilst I was in uni. For the record, I'm an Aussie. Who liked rowdy crowds. And considered brawls kind of amusing. And the Rose met those needs for me. Granted, that was quite some time ago, but I recall walking into it last year for a quick couple of fingers to fight that absurd winter chill that blasted in before PAX, and the crowd didn't seem all that different from what I had remembered.

I will call it family friendly, though - they had no problems serving me alcohol as a minor :P

Quintious on
    No "if" to it. The upstairs will be open for just us.

The downstairs is the same as any typical Fanuel bar on a Thu night. I'll be there this Thursday and will shoot a picture. Private event upstairs? Just check to see what time they make the restaurant 21+. That will be the only challenge.

What I'd really love to see are more pictures of the upstairs, especially to get an idea of the flow. The downstairs is amply represented in any Google image search, and we won't be there anyway. I talked to the manager and if you should happen to feel so inclined, they'd be happy to show you up there to take a picture or two. (Completely understandable if you don't have the time, though.)

It's been explicitly stated that this will be an all-ages event and it's not a problem for them. I've asked specifically in relation to us having a cash bar with children present as it was apparently a concern in previous years. Also, they've been asked and have agreed to provide high chairs, so I really hope they're expecting children. *grin*

I hope to get the menu workup from them in a few days.

• Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    The Rose is a very chill Irish Pub, typically with Irish Folk musicians playing. The downstairs does get mobbed and a bit crowded, but even then you're not likely to have a fight kick off down there. I have a friend who waitresses there, and a couple friends who bounce and barback. The upstairs area, especially if their holding it for the event, is very much family friendly as long as the people in the party are family friendly. It's very clean (as far as bars go), and very friendly staff.

• Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    The upstairs has a small lounge area with cushioned chairs, a small dining area with tables and normal height seats, and the bar has high 'bar' seats as well. Lot's of TVs, plenty of space really. Bar is central with standing area all around, rectangular room overall ('lounge' on one side, tables & chairs on the other)

What I'd really love to see are more pictures of the upstairs, especially to get an idea of the flow. The downstairs is amply represented in any Google image search, and we won't be there anyway.

It's been explicitly stated that this will be an all-ages event and it's not a problem for them. I've asked specifically in relation to us having a cash bar with children present as it was apparently a concern in previous years. Also, they've been asked and have agreed to provide high chairs, so I really hope they're expecting children. *grin*

If I go tonight (work things popped up) I'll take pics, if not it might be until the weekend. As with account4this, upstairs is typical of any open bar. Lots of seating, place to stash our coats, private bathroom. I like the upstairs layout better when it is open for watching soccer or after the championship parades anyways. If they agreed to hosting under 21 specifically (since this would be a private party) then my comments are moot.

Lot's of TVs, plenty of space really.

Now what we need to know is if we can connect some game consoles (that we provide) to those TVs.
    Smash Brothers, Rock Band and Mario Kart are always a hit when we can pull it off.

• GMNChampionGMNChampion Math Instructor Great Falls, VARegistered User regular
    I am partially ashamed to say that in all the times I have been to PAX East I have yet to join in on a pre-PAX dinner. Sounds like fun. I'll be getting into Boston Thursday afternoonish since I'll be coming over from Worcester.

PAX East Attendance: '14*, '13, '12, '11, '10 (5 - for - 5)
    Otakon, Anime USA, NekoCon, Katsucon, Anime Mid-Atlantic
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Been to the Black Rose many times. It is 110% safe. These days it's more touristy than anything else.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
This discussion has been closed.