As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Design a World - IC World Building

• Options
    Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Dwelling? Why would you want to pin yourself down? I look forward to exploring this new land you're making.

What good is travel without places to go to and come from? Surely, the hearth is more important than any journey or exploration.

I don't follow. When I'm going somewhere, I'll start from *here*. And then I'll be *there*. Is there something more to it? I've already seen here. Here is old.

You have seen here, but have you done all that can be done here? And what happens when you have seen all the heres that there are?

You...you guys are making more heres, right? How's that going? Can I help?

Why make more heres? You'll just see them and then what will be left for you?

Elbonian Man on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    :cry:

Scooter on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    (Okay, after thinking about it crafting sucks, every cool idea involved interfering with another god's realm)

SPI takes a spine from the dorsal fin of the fish and claims the realm of shadows.

I pour darkness upon the barren earth, shadows fall like a black ink upon the lands and into the crevices and hollows of the world the shadows settle. In the depths of the sea the shadows linger.

As my second action I spread a great dark sheet across the skies.

The first night falls upon the lands.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And lo, I claim the softest scale from the fish, becoming the lord of humanity and balance

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    And lo, I claim the softest scale from the fish, becoming the lord of humanity and balance

((balance has already been claimed I believe...but you could be humanity and mercy...if that's your thing))

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:

I'm pretty sure balance is taken, however humanity has not as far as I know.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Trenog wrote:
    DeVryGuy wrote:

I'm pretty sure balance is taken, however humanity has not as far as I know.

Humanity it is!

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    :cry:

Have you ever thought about going to there? There are plenty of theres once the heres are gone.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Sounds cool, as long as we aren't expected to stay there. Should be someplace we can keep the little stuff from bothering us, though.
    Perhaps I'm somewhat of a traditionalist, but has Salt not placed a great mountain in the centre of the Scale? Greater than any other?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Currently, the world seems to be layed out as follows: the earth is a single scale of the Great Fish set in the middle of nothingness. The sun is a single scale shining from the belly of the fish which, by extension, makes the fish's belly the sky. In the centre of the Scale is a great mountain, to the north are mounds of earth; the rest is left naturally rough, with seas filling the lower parts and the higher parts being land. About this blow the winds, which sing constantly, but (?) this singing cannot be heard by mortals. Above the Scale is a hole or gateway leading to magic, which is associated with death and with the soul of the Fish, and has thus far been described in fairly shadowy terms. Below the scale is a gateway leading to the realm of death, which is oblivion. The gods' deaths have been removed and presented to them, making them mortal or immortal at their choice.
    Darkness has been poured into the earth and night stretched across the sky, and has yet to be chased away.

If I've missed anything, tell me.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And The Light gazed upon the world shrouded in Darkness, and was saddened. For when the Light shines upon the tiniest grain of sand or the tallest mountain on the World, the Light watches it and blesses it, and now it's Blessing has been withheld. But the World was far away from the belly of the Divine Fish, and the Darkness was near it, and even though the Light shone as Bright as ever could be, only specks of it penetrated the dark clouds and reached the grounds of the World. And the Light was aware of this, and was not satisfied.

((I wasn't fond of the sun being a scale on a fish in the sky, since it created a lot of trouble with day/night etcet. So now the scale is the source of what may be percieved as stars, and there once again is no sun, i may need to get a deal with the gods of energy, air and earth to get something into the sky that shines light (and possibly heat) upon it))

((I also redid all previous posts to have the IC text in italics and OOC text in normal font, with (( )) around them.))

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A lone godling strides forth and casts envious eyes over the gifts that the others have chosen for themselves. Turning to the shredded remains of the once mighty fish skilled hands stretch forth, seeking another,unclaimed sphere...and pull forth the disease ridden cysts that plagued the flesh of the fish and the parasites that dwelled within the fish.
    Having claimed his sphere the newly risen godling addresses those who preceded him...

I claim the realms of plague and pestilence as my own.
    Orik, you shall try to destroy me, but will only feed my pestilence
    Salt, you shall try to cover me, but will only delay my coming
    Scooter, you shall try to escape me, only to find that I am always waiting
    Karilmat, you shall try to prevent me, but I will always be waiting
    Aileron, you shall spread my powers far and wide
    Rage, my mysteries will always elude you
    Rose, my touch will make the living weep for the end.
    Sander, you will watch as I cover the world, unable to prevent the inevitable
    Cosmic, you will warn of my coming, and spread tales of woe where I have been
    Elbonian, all shall weep when I enter the hearth, and dread my coming
    Devry, compassion will spring in my presence to aid those I've touched, and in providing aid will spread my touch
    Gorgrol, my touch will make men and beasts alike beg for your embrace. And will make your embrace seem the truest of mercies
    Throngrarth, together we shall reap a mighty harvest.
    SPI, my greatest works will be done within your shadows

I am Seebor of Plague and Pestilence, and the world shall know my presence and fear my touch...

Now, could one of you get around to creating life, so I have someone to torment? I've got plans... Such plans.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Blah, blah, blah.

He's got a point, though. Hey Rose, make us some cool stuff.

I think I've had enough of fish, though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gee, I thought Cosmic was supposed to be the wordy One...
    And that's Lord Rose if you please brother. I do my best work in the secret places away from prying eyes. Like disease; it is already a part of my domain for all diseases are living things and Lo! They already spread, grow and change!

Look to the world and see the surface blossom into riotous life, see how these tiniest of motes devour Rock, Light, Air and Water to make yet more Life!

You can keep pestilence and all manner of unnatural toxins though; I believe you will be most pleased when the arisen turn up and learn to make war with terrible poisons...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Salt /emerged/ from within the scale, the only place in creation to be hidden from the eyes of any god - and come to the Lord Rose.

"The scale is covered in water and barren yet; I fault you for this. I have no patience to wait for you to play with your creations - but I have no desire to overstep my bounds. I ask that you share the spark of Life with me, that I might fill my grand lair with creatures in my own image."

Salt's words are a request, but his countenance is one of demand; a friendly suggestion as a precursor to extortion.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    I'll take part in this life business.

I want the end of it, though. That's necessarily mine.

((basically everyone leeches away from me until i'm just Death, and not Destruction))

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I have returned from my rest my brothers, and I see we have a few new brethren. Seebor, I can tell we will be the staunchest of allies. SPI, I have a feeling our works will intertwine on the odd occasion, and my oceans will welcome your darkness for the light cannot pierce the entirety of their depths. Devry, I know that we will be the bitterest of rivals, while I mock your work and pity your beliefs I will still respect you as a brother.

Now then, I also ask of you Lord Rose to create some "life" for us to amuse ourselves with.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((Has anyone claimed the meat of the fish yet? If not, I'd like to take them as God of Food.))

It would be a shame to let the meat simply rot away from the Grand Fish. Besides, the mortals of this new realm will need something to eat, lest they starve.

Soup on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((If it's too late for me to join this, or I'm too lame, ignore my IC part and let me know. Also, I hope this is allowed but if it isn't, I'll do something different. ))

Without scale and jealous of his brothers, Pil broods over his misfortune. To each god does Pil whisper secrets to spur envy and suspicion. And to each god does Pil warn of another. And from each god does Pil tear a piece of scale for his own collection lording Pil over treachery and deceit. And knowing the anger of gods does Pil hide his collection as god after god renews their suspicion. And so teachery waits and broods yet again.

((EDIT: Or is it possible for me to call this spot and work my way in later as the son of some other god or something? Not much room for treachery and deceit in the world yet...))

piL on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    ((Has anyone claimed the meat of the fish yet? If not, I'd like to take them as God of Food.))

It would be a shame to let the meat simply rot away from the Grand Fish. Besides, the mortals of this new realm will need something to eat, lest they starve.
    ((It's unclaimed))
    Welcome, my brother. I will have to discuss some of the ideas I have for food once Lord Rose gets around to making our life.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So impatient are Gods! Hmph, We See that the carpet of green I have laid is not yet enough. Perhaps something bigger?

See how the great stands of the new life grow from the dirt of their ancestors? It is for this reason that patience is required brothers! Life will offer you no sport if death comes to take it before it is grown...

But, yes, something that moves... More Fish! Fish with legs and lungs to breathe air! Fish with great fins, that they may soar amongst the skies! Great hunting fish with many teeth and even greater fish that feed on the bounty of green!

These must suffice for now, for the land is not yet ready...

As for the gift of life for yor creations, lord Salt, take this; the ability to feed from darkness as the green feeds from the light. Bestow it where you will, but have a care, for the light will burn the dark-feeders - do not let them stray too close to the surface...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And lo, one did reach out and tear from the Fish one of its veins, that through which life surges. He did study it, and come to understand it and love it. Thusly, he became the guardian at the gates of life, the sentinel who would brief and guide the newborn souls, as well as manage and bring to order the souls who will leave the material plane.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Seeing the varied and beauftiful forms of fishes Throngarth has but one thought on his mind.
    This will be fun. I shall gift upon them the agression and hatred for another, the walkers hate the flyers and the swimmers hate the walkers. I also gift unto them the knowledge of battle and killing, but not the skill to use it, for that they must learn on their own. The stage is set my brothers, let us see how our grand experiment shall unfold.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think the true question here is how these new fish taste, and whether they they are edible. For they will not be of much use to later inhabitants if their taste is bad, and their meat leathery.

Soup on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And the Light pondered upon the World shrouded in Darkness, and it came to him that if Light was to shine from within the Darkness, the Darkness could be removed from the World, and that he could once again Bless the World and make it bathe in glorious luminescence. But it lay not within the Light's power to create such a thing alone, and he needed allies to overpower the Darkness where it was strongest. But who would aid him, who else disliked the Darkness as much as he, and who would risk conflict and strife in such a way as to destroy another gods work, bleak and destructive as it may be?

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Seeing the fish in multitudes, swimming happily through the seas and skies of the world, Seebor reaches forth, and blights a single specimen.

The touched one twitches, barely feeling the influence of a god, and swims forth to spread the gift of Plague amongst the new life. sSeebor sees this, and is pleased...but notices Sander pondering the position of light and darkness and the relative merits of each.

Be careful with your thoughts Light-bringer, for they can prove as infectious and dangerous as any of my gifts and they leave their marks just as clearly upon your face. Should you seek to end the darkness, consider not who would stand with you, but who would stand against. Surely Balance would oppose the loss, as would Rose, the bringer of life, for where is life created but in the darkness of the egg, or the womb? I cannot speak for these others, Only for myself: I would stand against you. Plague would fester as well under un-ending light as it would in darkness, true. But the loss of what life we have to the madness of an unending light? I would lose my amusements, and I do so love to spread my gift.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Chill out, dudes. Variety is the spice of life! Ok, sometimes the dark can make it hard to see where you're going, but then I remember, duh, god! And personally I don't think the little things could handle too much light.

Seebor, though, can't we play with the things a bit before you get them all sick?

Scooter puts his own curse on the poor plagued fish, slowing it from reaching its friends. He then gets to work trying to invent the fishing line.

Where's a craftsman god when you need one?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You play your games, I'll play mine...
    With an angry glare at Scooter, Seebor reaches forth and blights another fish at random, picking one in the center of a large school.

Swim fast little fishy, all your friends are waiting for you...and do be good and share

see317 on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    For each fish blighted, for each fish diseased, there shall be another with a heart that is pure, with a life untouched by the ravages of plague and illness. These fish shall feed upon the flesh of the fellows fallen to the blight, and the disease shall leave them unharmed. In this way, there shall be balance, and in this way there shall be order.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    SanderJK wrote:
    And the Light pondered upon the World shrouded in Darkness, and it came to him that if Light was to shine from within the Darkness, the Darkness could be removed from the World, and that he could once again Bless the World and make it bathe in glorious luminescence. But it lay not within the Light's power to create such a thing alone, and he needed allies to overpower the Darkness where it was strongest. But who would aid him, who else disliked the Darkness as much as he, and who would risk conflict and strife in such a way as to destroy another gods work, bleak and destructive as it may be?

Under stone and behind the mountain, so shall there be shadows from the light. One-half of the planet shall be lit by the glow of the burning star in the heavens, and so shall one-half of the planet be shrouded in darkness. As the world turns, the light shall spread, but the dark shall follow it, eternally.

The light shall never reach beyond its natural ability, and so shall each creature, each stone, each tree and each mountain cast a shadow, so as to create a vision of themselves in perfect darkness for each of the rays of light they bask within and define themselves of.

So shall there be balance, and so shall there be order.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    So impatient are Gods! Hmph, We See that the carpet of green I have laid is not yet enough. Perhaps something bigger?

See how the great stands of the new life grow from the dirt of their ancestors? It is for this reason that patience is required brothers! Life will offer you no sport if death comes to take it before it is grown...

But, yes, something that moves... More Fish! Fish with legs and lungs to breathe air! Fish with great fins, that they may soar amongst the skies! Great hunting fish with many teeth and even greater fish that feed on the bounty of green!

These must suffice for now, for the land is not yet ready...

As for the gift of life for yor creations, lord Salt, take this; the ability to feed from darkness as the green feeds from the light. Bestow it where you will, but have a care, for the light will burn the dark-feeders - do not let them stray too close to the surface...

also..

250px-Warcraft_Murlock.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((Dunno if I'm too late to the party, but I love stuff like this and can't afford to pass it up, even though I'm a lurker at heart.))

What is left after the great frenzy to Be? Those of the Greatest Wills snatched forth domains broad and comanding. The Late Born and the Clever search the Great Fish for what they can. Soon there will be nothing left, nothing of the Great Fish that spawned us all. Nothing but what we make of Its gifts and Its bounty. Nothing but hope.

I claim the Last Piece of the Great Fish, the Last Piece symbolizing that what we should all still have, even after everything is gone:

Hope.

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [Ditto on being late and a lurker..ignore if not needed.]

The Great Fish had been nearly consumed, it's scales and bones taken, and with it the domain of the now inhabited void. There were but a few scraps left, and from this refuse, Shamus pulled a bit of the Great Fish's spine. Having slept the feast away, his loss is now his domain.

"I claim this bit of spine, and with it sleep. All must rest at the day's end and sleep shall await them. I shall gift them with dreams and curse them with nightmares."

Shamus on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    *snuffs out a few fish from all the disease running about*

Maybe a little overkill, guys?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    (Are all the species on this world actually fishy, or was that just a metaphor?)

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    WeZilWeZil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((And once again, a late comer! Hopefully not too late. And besides, there are a few bits to be taken :) ))

Late to take part in the choosing, he was without a whole to take. No one scale, bone or organ remained for him to choose, and yet, he was not without option. Zil gathered one hundred bits of scale, slowly piecing them together to form a whole. When his labors ended, he held a single grand scale, arranged in perfect order to form a thing of wonderous beauty.

"From the pieces of many comes a grand whole, glorious in every way. And so I claim these many tiny pieces, taking Craftsmanship and Law as my domains. Strict morals and swift punishment shall build a glorious society, and from that society will come many glorious creations."

WeZil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hands over a few sticks and pieces of string to Zil.

Here, you figure this out. I'm going for a swim.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((edit -- whoops, when I went back to comb the list in the first post, I somehow failed to remember that the brain, though not on the list, was the first. basically proving that I don't deserve the brain.))

Horshuu, the Quiet One, came to see the Great Fish and was dismayed to find only a ruined mass of picked-over remains.

"So little is left," he said despondently, "so little is left of what was, so much has been sacrificed to satisfy your vanity."

Horshuu reached down and picked from the ruined remains of the Great Fish to find a small treasure that had been overlooked... it's Otolith, the Stone in the Ear.

"You have been forgotten, little Ear-Stone, much like myself," he mused, "For in the conquest of your host, for glory and for progress my brothers have laid it bare. You tell the tale of all the waters in which a fish swims, yet they care not to hear it. You are the memory of the water, and the flesh, and the steady gait of time. But it seems they care more for the future."

"And so I shall take you with me, and guard you as I will all that is Lost and Forgotten. My shadow shall be like a curse to knowledge, forever nipping at the tail of ever-moving progress. Those who find will inevitably lose. Those who know will eventually forget. That which is written will one day be erased."

Though his brothers hardly noticed that he had claimed what was Forgotten and Lost, Horshuu tucked himself away in the deeps of the new world they were creating, that he might guard the Otolith, the Ear-Stone, in solitude.

((Maybe studying a little marine biology really does pay off once in a while?))

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    *cough cough*

Big Boss Blue is the Brain.

Scooter on
  • Options
    WeZilWeZil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "Well great. Now I have some bits of string and some sticks... Wait, I've got an idea."

And so, Zil bound the sticks and string together to make a tree, using the left over string to make pretty little weeping willow branches.

"Now we have a tree to plant in the barren land so that the people to come will have material to build from. Now, where to plant it?"

WeZil on