As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes is quite the modern Marvel

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Graphic Violence
I can't say I saw this coming at all. After settling their lawsuit at the end of 2005, Marvel and Cryptic are now teaming up to make a superhero MMO for the Xbox 360 and Windows.

If this doesn't carry a fee above and beyond the cost of Live for the 360 I'll be all over it. If not it'll be more of a wait and see.

edit 1: Staggering inability to spell in the title
edit 2: Xbox 260 doesn't actually exist

public incompetence: priceless

werehippy on

• The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sell outs.

They should have counter sued.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Actually, I'm gald Marvel decided to get a little common sense.

When first hearing about the Marvel MMO, you could feel the collective masses groaning at the attempt to cash in on the MMORPG market. Tack on to the fact that it's kinda hard to make a good MMO, and you have all the making's of a disaster.

However, now, at least they have a company with a little bit of experiance handling this little shin dig. All Marvel really need's to do is sit back and let Cryptic do there thing.

However, I do hope they keep the more "lighthearted" feel of COH/COV in this one, that's one of the main thing's that made it stand out to me.

Transporter on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sell outs.

They should have counter sued.

Ehhh, it's not like Marvel was completely off base, since Cryptic did snag at least a few thing that were pretty clearly Marvel's creation (like 3 claws coming out of the back of your hands with a Snikt sound). So unless they could show Marvel was maliciously coming after them with no grounds, there wouldn't be anything they COULD sue over.

But, back to the topic at hand. The parallel development for 360 and PC probably means an emphasis on using only a few powers at a time, maybe something a la Guild Wars, where you pick four powers at a time to have access to.

I also like the fact it'll reflect the current Marvel coninuity. Server wide events tieing into big cross-overs could be great.

werehippy on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Whoa, this is going to piss a few CoH fanboys off, but this is really cool news, actually.

Also, it's "Heroes" and "modern"

DJ Eebs on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm hoping they are making a new game here, not just "CoH Marvel Comics Edition."

because you know.
    .... CoH is still kind of crummy.yeah I said it.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Nalouto wrote:
    I'm hoping they are making a new game here, not just "CoH Marvel Comics Edition."

because you know.
    .... CoH is still kind of crummy.yeah I said it.

Yeah, they're going to make a game based on three or four year old tech for the 360. :roll:

Its pretty clear that they're making a new sort of game. Loots sounds like it will be a significant feature, which is a big difference from CoH.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Loot in a super hero game is such a god damn dumb idea.

I'm hoping that it will be a very action style game, considering it is being developed for the 360. I have high hopes, though the idea of a loot heavy hero game makes me cringe.

Accualt on
    edited September 2006
    I don't know man. Emmert was talking alot about stuff like the WoW Auction house and so on in some of the stuff I was reading today. Smells like a loot heavy game to me.

Corvus on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    I don't know man. Emmert was talking alot about stuff like the WoW Auction house and so on in some of the stuff I was reading today. Smells like a loot heavy game to me.

That makes less than no sense. WTF?

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Corvus wrote:

That makes less than no sense. WTF?

Exactly.

Anyhow, some more links with info:

TRAILER:
    http://crypticstudios.com/movies/Marvel_Universe_Online.wmv

Cryptic Studios Statement:
    http://crypticstudios.com/news.php#34

Team Xbox

1Up

And finally, credit where credit is due. F13.net called this in July.

Theres something rather amusing to me about seeing the trailer thumbnails on the Cryptic webpage. One featuring Captain America, and one featuring the Captain America clone that Statesman always has been.

Corvus on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Nah, he's an amalgram of Captain America and Superman, and Samaritan, and Majestic, and all the other headliners of the various companies.

Scooter on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd like them to really push the continuity angle. Either go all out with current comic events being written as optional missions (You have the option of signing up with shield, going rogue, or fighting The Annihlation wave), or go with annual "Classic event" Missions- Secret wars, Infinity Gauntlet, and so on.

[spoiler:66866d60e1]Also, one event should just be standing around guiltily while Mar-vell bites it.[/spoiler:66866d60e1]

I really don't know if that needs spoilering, but ehh.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited September 2006
    Guys, not every character that wears red, white and blue and has a star is a Captain America rip-off. Especially not the ones who have no shield and also fly and such.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Guys, not every character that wears red, white and blue and has a star is a Captain America rip-off. Especially not the ones who have no shield and also fly and such.

Yeah, I know. Its just always been my reaction to the costume design. Red white and blue costume, star on chest, ancient piece of armor (helmet thing vs shield). The first time I visited the CoH website, it was the first thing that stuck in my mind, and first impressions are always strong.

In a pure powers sense, he's much more like Superman than Cap. Super Strength, invulnerable, immortal, plus he has blasts, though in this case they're lighting based.

Corvus on
    edited September 2006
    I actually tend to think of him being closest to Samaritan, especially now that he's got that cape action. But not a lot of people know that guy.

Obviously Marvel thought like you. :P

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I actually tend to think of him being closest to Samaritan, especially now that he's got that cape action. But not a lot of people know that guy.

Obviously Marvel thought like you. :P

Considering I have no idea who Samaratin is, you're probably right. Off to wiki.

This whole thing must have come law suit thing. Someone at Marvel was probably thinking:

"those bastards have created a system that lets people make exact copies of our heroes.

Hang on a sec, thats what we want to do with our video game!"

Corvus on
    edited September 2006
    391px-Astro_City-LITBC.jpg

Astro City is actually the comic I find most similar to CoH. It's a great series too.

Scooter on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As I said in the CoH subforum, I'm not exactly thrilled about this. It sounds to me like the most likely outcome of this will be the cannibalization of the CoH/V playerbase while maybe bringing in the folks who wanted a superhero MMO, but wanted it to be endorsed by a major comics publisher.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Loot heavy is definantly not something that I would look for in a Super Hero MMO. The continuity thing sounds really cool though, and I think that the game is very open to having awesome in-game events a la Matrix Online. As Accault said, hopefully it will be more action based.

I really need to go back to CoV.

Sars_Boy on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't think that, even if there is a player economy, that we'll see random loot drops off of enemies. I can see getting items as rewards for quest completion, or maybe some kind of crafting.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm just thinking about zones and the like, I mean, if you can choose what region you hail from I'd prolly shit myself. Just the idea of fighting in the Kitchen is a decent selling point for me...assuming they actally do that.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm just thinking about zones and the like, I mean, if you can choose what region you hail from I'd prolly shit myself. Just the idea of fighting in the Kitchen is a decent selling point for me...assuming they actally do that.

The Savage Land, baby.

Spectre-x on
    edited September 2006
    Well, theres hope for special missions and things, but they've said the game is going to be based in New York.

Corvus on
  • TyphusTyphus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wonder how long it will be till someone makes a spider-man clone with wolverine-style claws coming out of his wrists.....oh wait...the other.......

riiiiiight

Typhus on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

The Savage Land, baby.

Dude, there could be so many great expansions or areas: Chandilar, the Negative Zone, Latveria, Atlantis, Asteroid M.

Mutants could have certain world events like AoA and the others could have the Kree-Skrull War or some shit like that.

A Marvel mmo seems like a much better idea than the DC one that's being developed...I suppose it just seems like a Marvel game would be more accessible...that and DC's gaming track record is, well, ya know.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If this does take place mostly in New York, for the start, how shit hot would it be to have ALL of New York replicated in an MMO?

Oh, right, that would be boring. I hope this is more of a globe trouting style game.

Accualt on
  • zigzig Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [SpiderLovebb13] dance partye on top fo ESB!!!!!!!1

zig on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Probably well know by the CoH/CoV players here on the board, but for those who're interested in seeing how close or far CoH gets to Marvel, DC, or any other comic property, here's a link for a section of the CoH site where they set up DLable copies of the CoH comics. The first three are written by Mark Waid himself it it helps. :)

http://www.cityofheroes.com/comic/download.html

Owenashi on
    edited September 2006
    Other than the arc in the CoH comic written by Hickman, the CoH comic has been pretty terrible.

Corvus on
  • BizarrohulkBizarrohulk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bizarrohulk want to waste hours mining vibranium. Bizarrohulk want to waste time leveling up claw-smithing skill. Bizarrohulk want to fight rats with Rusty Daggar until Bizarrohulk can buy Adamantium claws at Auction House. Bizarrohulk not SMASH designers who put loot systen in what should be Action RPG!

Bizarrohulk on
    Bizarrohulk HAPPY!!! Bizarrohulk not SMASH!!!
    edited October 2006
    :v:

Scooter on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    If this does take place mostly in New York, for the start, how shit hot would it be to have ALL of New York replicated in an MMO?

Oh, right, that would be boring. I hope this is more of a globe trouting style game.

Are you kidding? That would be awesome! I'd love to have a complete replica of NYC in a game.

A duck! on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Are you kidding? That would be awesome! I'd love to have a complete replica of NYC in a game.

Spider-Man 2?

Bloods End on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Spider-Man 2?

I thought that was only Manhattan.

A duck! on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Spider-Man 2?

yeah it's not a complete nyc

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Spider-Man 2?

yeah it's not a complete nyc

Would you honestly want much more? Who the hell would want to do a fetch quest to outer Queens or Staten Island?

werehippy on
    edited October 2006
    Queens is in Ultimate Spider-Man icon_teach.gif

DJ Eebs on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think we all have been around long enough to not get our hopes up over this game(cash grab). Sure there are a number of ways to make this a great game but will they? No of course not, you'll make a character and then go on missions with spider-man and hulk to save kittens and stop car thieves and other silly shit. No doubt trip over a marvel commercial billboard every time you fly or super jump.

I wouldn't mind if they used the game to advertise their comics as long as they made frequent updates to the game in real time as their "big events" unfold. The obvious example would be if the game was up and running now they would be in the middle of the Civil War, and have your character choose a side and all that jazz. But they want make money not spend it so I'm not expecting that much.

Wait and see I guess.

Caveman Paws on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I get a very forboding feeling from this game. Remeber these guys?

They'll pull story out of their ass, Marvel probably won't write much of it (not their top guys anyway) and I can't see many items that would work as loot drops for a super-hero game. Remember that time when Spiderman beat Doctor Octopus and got that magic cape that increased his jumping ability? What about that time Hulk changed his costume or when Cyclops stopped using his optic blasts after finding that gattling gun after fighting a gang of bikers?

I'd like to play this game, but like City of Heroes I can't see myself paying monthly for something like this.

TankHammer on