As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Personally, I loved the Panda starting zone, but it's definitely a YMMV. Loved exploring and finding all the little story bits out there.

Do wish the mainland Pandaria writing at least acknowledged Pandaren/monk characters better, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Shame they screwed over the Worgen so bad when it came to Silverpine.

"Want to see the conclusion to your storyline? Roll Horde."

I see that and raise you the whole damn conclusion to Wrath. "Who the fark is Bolvar?" Want to know? You should have played Alliance during Vanilla.

That one is a bit different, since there was all of one quest chain involving Bolvar in any noticable way. Other than that, he just kinda stood there.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This week was painful. First day: wiped non-stop to H Immerseus. Second Day: H Immerseus dies in 3 pulls. Alright, so we waste a day but hey, progress, and now let's kill us some H Norushen again!

...He doesn't die. I may be biased, but benching our Resto Druid (he's our best healer and we needed to bench one of the three healers for the fight) for a Holy Paladin (he did well) and a Disc Priest (she'd run out of mana 2 minutes into the fight) was probably not the smartest idea in the world. Like, when I'm Healing Touching on cooldown for a good portion of the later part of the fight so we don't die, something has gone horribly wrong.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So got my warrior to 90, and immediately went to start pvping on her. Man, I rather enjoy it.

Shame the random BG function loves to drop me into WSG and Twin Peaks, Horde tend to be a bit dumber there than the control point ones.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I think we might finally 2 heal Garrosh.

3 heals we just don't have enough DPS.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    This week was painful. First day: wiped non-stop to H Immerseus. Second Day: H Immerseus dies in 3 pulls. Alright, so we waste a day but hey, progress, and now let's kill us some H Norushen again!

...He doesn't die. I may be biased, but benching our Resto Druid (he's our best healer and we needed to bench one of the three healers for the fight) for a Holy Paladin (he did well) and a Disc Priest (she'd run out of mana 2 minutes into the fight) was probably not the smartest idea in the world. Like, when I'm Healing Touching on cooldown for a good portion of the later part of the fight so we don't die, something has gone horribly wrong.

Why? We run 3 healers for Norushen, fight's easy peasy that way. All you have to do is beat the enrage. We use Disc Priest/Resto Shaman/MW Monk, with the shaman and monk grabbing about 90% of the poop dropped by the manifestations, exceptions for our 2nd tank and disc priest both grabbing one before they go into their portals. Once we switched to healers grabbing the poo and letting tanks dps @ 125% it mostly trivialized the dps requirement.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So Blizzard is having a conference call right now and apparently they just gained 200K subscribers going from 7.6 million to 7.8 million. Awesome, I love this game and I have been worried by the subscriber drops. I want Blizzard to get lots of money to keep making lots of content.

Blizzard had an interview in august 2013 and said they want a raid every 3-5 months and an expansion every year. I wish that was the case but it's simply not happening. I hope they get as close to that as they can possibly get.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    sumwar wrote: »
    So Blizzard is having a conference call right now and apparently they just gained 200K subscribers going from 7.6 million to 7.8 million. Awesome, I love this game and I have been worried by the subscriber drops. I want Blizzard to get lots of money to keep making lots of content.

Blizzard had an interview in august 2013 and said they want a raid every 3-5 months and an expansion every year. I wish that was the case but it's simply not happening. I hope they get as close to that as they can possibly get.

Well...those subs were added after the new RAF program. I'm not trying to be cynical but uh..four of those added accounts might be mine, and I suspect I'm not alone. :P

EDIT: cynical isn't the right word since I'm not really worried about their financials; I'm just saying that I suspect a lot of those increased subs won't actually equate to increased players.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Why? We run 3 healers for Norushen, fight's easy peasy that way. All you have to do is beat the enrage. We use Disc Priest/Resto Shaman/MW Monk, with the shaman and monk grabbing about 90% of the poop dropped by the manifestations, exceptions for our 2nd tank and disc priest both grabbing one before they go into their portals. Once we switched to healers grabbing the poo and letting tanks dps @ 125% it mostly trivialized the dps requirement.

For Heroic Norushen?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

Well...those subs were added after the new RAF program. I'm not trying to be cynical but uh..four of those added accounts might be mine, and I suspect I'm not alone. :P

EDIT: cynical isn't the right word since I'm not really worried about their financials; I'm just saying that I suspect a lot of those increased subs won't actually equate to increased players.

That and the fact that 5.4 is the biggest, most alt-friendly patch of the expansion (and the last patch is the one where the most people re-/stay subscribed). Not bashing Blizzard at all, it was a great patch but this is the typical trend. Next quarter's financials call will likely show a sub dip, as per usual. It's the usual cycle for these things - once WoD launches they'll probably add another half-million to two million subs.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Shame they screwed over the Worgen so bad when it came to Silverpine.

"Want to see the conclusion to your storyline? Roll Horde."

I see that and raise you the whole damn conclusion to Wrath. "Who the fark is Bolvar?" Want to know? You should have played Alliance during Vanilla.

the answer is 'an idiot.'

you didn't miss anything really

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

For Heroic Norushen?

Yea. H10 Norushen.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    "Side Note: Blizzard's noted in the past that they now make multiple WoW expacs in parallel so they have the potential to go annual. As such, the major game is probably a WoW expac (Warlords of Draenor) and there's probably another one next year."

So this is from some guy on another message board. I don't know if it's true they make multiple expansions at one time, if it is then maybe they can pump out expansions faster than every 2 years.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man the dumb rumor phase is starting early this expansion cycle

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the dark below debacle threw open the doors

we will never not be rumouring now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Side Note: Blizzard's noted in the past that they now make multiple WoW expacs in parallel so they have the potential to go annual. As such, the major game is probably a WoW expac (Warlords of Draenor) and there's probably another one next year."

So this is from some guy on another message board. I don't know if it's true they make multiple expansions at one time, if it is then maybe they can pump out expansions faster than every 2 years.

Blizzard working on multiple expansions isn't a far stretch. It's just a matter of what aspect of any expansion they're working on. There's writing, art concept, art asset, and a loooooooot of shit to do. Even in finishing up WoD to launch and content that's coming over its major patches, they're going to be building the next expansion after. It's video game development afterall.

The problem is the annual-expansion thing. They've been saying that since TBC.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

This. And faster turnaround on raids and patches. It's been talked about as a goal since 2007. It is now 2014.

To be brutally honest I think we'll be lucky to see Warlords before Christmas. I hope y'all like Siege of Ogrimaar! We'll be raiding it for longer than Icecrown or Black Temple.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

This. And faster turnaround on raids and patches. It's been talked about as a goal since 2007. It is now 2014.

To be brutally honest I think we'll be lucky to see Warlords before Christmas. I hope y'all like Siege of Ogrimaar! We'll be raiding it for longer than Icecrown or Black Temple.

Actually, serious question: How long are Arena seasons? This is the 15th one and they only started in like 2008. Maybe 2009?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    They are doing another season between this one and word. In fact this one is supposed to end soon (they have that anti transfer warning up)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm trying to gauge the WoD release date since the current season ends in a week and a half and season 15 is confirmed to follow.

Also I just stumbled across two gnomes beating up a pug, and then one of them showed me this: http://www.wowhead.com/item=100872/empty-puppy-collar

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could see a brief uptick before an expansion. You get people coming back to make sure they get all the raids down before they out level or make sure they have a 1 or more characters at max leveled and fairly well geared for the next expansion.

If I were looking for evidence that WoW is getting more subs past the cyclical stuff, I'd be paying attention to the sub number report that traditionally sees a drop following an expansion release. They have some things going into place that could potentially help with that if WoD ends up starting solid.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm trying to gauge the WoD release date since the current season ends in a week and a half and season 15 is confirmed to follow.

Also I just stumbled across two gnomes beating up a pug, and then one of them showed me this: http://www.wowhead.com/item=100872/empty-puppy-collar

There's a chart here that lists all the season lengths, though it isn't up to date:
    http://wowpedia.org/Arena_season

long story short 20-30 weeks, but there's no 'norm'. So 5-6 months at least, which is what most expected anyway, late summer early fall probably for WoD unless they really push out the xpack. Earliest would probably be july-ish, but since beta, or even (afaik) F&F alpha, haven't even started...nah.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Got excited for wildstar, decided to finally play through the Panda expansion (and old world Cataclysm content) for the first time. Rolled a Pandaren Monk and went alliance (which I haven't seriously played since like 2005)

I only really played a hunter before. I really, REALLY, REALLY miss feign death. Also, lower levels kinda blow; I got like a half dozen abilities and am basically stuck in a simple 1-2-1-3-1-4 rotation.

I was going to run guildless, but MAN am I getting sick of all the random guild invites.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    In options somewhere there is an Auto Decline All Invites thingy.
    Also I highly recomend you join a guild since you get some quite nice perks if its a full level 25 guild. More xp, reputation, money, faster hearthstone and what not.

• Options
    Monks are pretty boring at low levels. Windwalker especially, since you don't get Rising Sun Kick until something like level 64. It's stupid, all you have is Jab and Blackout Kick.

• Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Got excited for wildstar, decided to finally play through the Panda expansion (and old world Cataclysm content) for the first time. Rolled a Pandaren Monk and went alliance (which I haven't seriously played since like 2005)

I only really played a hunter before. I really, REALLY, REALLY miss feign death. Also, lower levels kinda blow; I got like a half dozen abilities and am basically stuck in a simple 1-2-1-3-1-4 rotation.

I was going to run guildless, but MAN am I getting sick of all the random guild invites.

My suggestion as a returning player, join a guild with some members in it for the time being. You get bonuses on experience and all sorts of stuff just by being in one.

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    My guild ran an achievement run through flex 3 last night, and got all of the relevant achievements (Criss Cross, Mega Snail, and Ultimate Power?) Going to see about another run on Monday for another of the flexes.

• Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Question about mounts. I'm based on Kalimdor, where do i go to get a mount of any kind? And should I wait for 60 to get a faster one at this point? I've been using my worgen passive to run around but feel like I could go faster with a mount at this point. I'm 45 should be 50 today.

Also - I see people with some pretty damn cool mounts....gnome war machines, etc. Is there a guide somewhere?

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Expigator wrote: »
    Question about mounts. I'm based on Kalimdor, where do i go to get a mount of any kind? And should I wait for 60 to get a faster one at this point? I've been using my worgen passive to run around but feel like I could go faster with a mount at this point. I'm 45 should be 50 today.

Also - I see people with some pretty damn cool mounts....gnome war machines, etc. Is there a guide somewhere?

Do you mean Running Wild or like, the short duration speed burst thing?

If you mean Running Wild, that is a mount. You will move the same speed using Running Wild as you will mounted up.

If not, then you can go to Wowpedia to get a list of all riding trainers, any of the alliance ones can probably train you, but your specific one would be in Darnassus, I imagine.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Mounts have changed pretty fundamentally since TBC.

The cost for training is much cheaper now, and available at a lower level. You can buy the regular ground mount skill at level 20, and the fast ground mount skill at 40 (then flying at 60 and fast flying at 70, and there is a faster flying but I don't remember what level it unlocks).

Worgens actually get the level 20 mount skill for free as soon as they ding 20, because of their Running Wild racial ability (which is functionally identical to a mount).

Also, you have a tab to keep mounts in instead of them taking up bag space, and all your mounts will scale to your riding skill (so when you learn the faster ground mount skill, your Running Wild will increase in speed).

If you want actual mounts other than Running Wild, then Worgen selection is limited but they sell a handful near the Worgen tree in Darnassus. You have to be exalted with the other Alliance factions for most of the other pre-60 mounts available to you, I think. Though if you have a lot of Honor you could maybe buy a pvp mount from a guy on a horse near the Honor vendors in Stormwind.

Also, flying mount skills are a little wonky. The normal one actually only unlocks flight for Outland. You need another one (also available at 60) called Flight Master's License to unlock it for Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, and then at 68 you can get Cold Weather Flying to unlock it for Northrend. You have to wait until 90 to fly in Pandaria though.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Monks are pretty boring at low levels. Windwalker especially, since you don't get Rising Sun Kick until something like level 64. It's stupid, all you have is Jab and Blackout Kick.

Well, you get spinning fire blossom at 48 and at least when I leveled a monk at the start of the xpack it did way more damage than Blackout. But yea, monks are boring as hell until ~70 as WW. And even BrM isn't exactly interesting to play but at least Keg Smash is always fun.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I finally got back into the swing of how to play my (arcane) mage today. I'd been playing my melee characters the most since I resubscribed and it was getting kinda frustrating and boring. This is what I needed.

Plus my mage is an engineer, and engineering through the MoP ranks is actually really easy. Then again she's a gnome with +15 more ranks than usual. I'm at level 87 and already at 590, which will easily become 595 when I finally get 1 more of those mote things. Then five more points to epic quality goggles! (useable at level 87)

The tinkering options make me wonder if I should have engineering as just my thing for characters, because so much of that stuff is just useful.

Edit - Oh also impressed with the mechanical dragonling for MoP being a passive proc, and also it has 3 cog slots. Yes please.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Engineering is also pretty good for mages since the glove tinker works well with Alter Time. Gives an extra 6 seconds of the buff.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Engineering is also pretty good for mages since the glove tinker works well with Alter Time. Gives an extra 6 seconds of the buff.

You say "the" but there's a bunch of glove tinkers.

• Options
    Believe he's referring to synapse springs, the standard raiding tinker

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Isn't Synapse Strings technically the BIS enchant for most classes due to the ability to sync it with cooldowns?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Synapse Springs are the hotness, although I always forget to use them. Probably should just macro them into something. Wish the rocket launcher glove enchant was that cool.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Synapse Springs are the hotness, although I always forget to use them. Probably should just macro them into something. Wish the rocket launcher glove enchant was that cool.

To be honest I'm just using the rocket launcher glove so I can RP the engineer angle of my gnome that much more.

Stat boosts are for pussies. Rocket launchers are for winners.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

To be honest I'm just using the rocket launcher glove so I can RP the engineer angle of my gnome that much more.

Stat boosts are for pussies. Rocket launchers are for winners.

Unless you are minmaxing in which case the opposite

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I went and watched all of the announcement trailers for the various WoW expansions. It actually gave me enough nostalgia for how I felt back in the early days of WoW that I got a little misty eyed.

This discussion has been closed.