As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Al_wat wrote: »
    - Processor: I know you guys say that i5's are more bang for your buck, but if I can get a decent performance boost I would be willing to spend a bit extra for an i7. I know I need a K version to overclock.

It's not about bang for your buck, at the same mhz the I7 has no benefit for gaming or normal computer use. I dunno about which is better for overclocking.

Cabezone on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If I'm not mistaken, to get the best overclocks on an I7 you usually have to disable HT, effectively turning it into an i5.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Is that true? I just did a bit of research and from what I saw; an I7 seems to perform better at the same clock speed and can achieve higher clock speeds with overclocking.

I don't want to make the wrong choice here, so if I am wrong do you have anything to show that?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Actually you know what I've done even more reading and it seems like you guys are probably right about i5's with respect to gaming.

I guess the key thing here is if games will suddenly start utilizing HT.

The L3 cache is larger on the i7, what kind of noticeable impact would that have?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Actually you know what I've done even more reading and it seems like you guys are probably right about i5's with respect to gaming.

The L3 cache is larger on the i7, what kind of noticeable impact would that have?

This is always something that's said and it's never really turned out to be a factor for most games, not yet anyway. Don't sweat the i5 instead of the i7 unless you have non-gaming needs for it.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pirusu wrote: »
    It seems kinda...I dunno...like ricing out a car to put those beautiful parts in the lower end Corsair cases. They're not bad at all just...fuck it, go all out!

As long as you have a case that has all the features you want (front USB3.0, vent filters, decent cable management) and is built solid and strong, then spending more money on it just takes away from the budget for better parts. It's nothing at all like putting a Lamborghini motor in a Daewoo, because in the first scenario the car chassis is completely incapable of controlling the amount of power the motor puts out, and in the second scenario, the internal computer components do not rely on the case for their performance at all.

Besides, the 350D is a nice little case.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

If games do suddenly start going multi-core in a big way, hey, at least the i5s have four solid, high performing cores in them.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, hyperthreading doesn't help much in games at all. Overclockling doesn't really help much either. In all honestly, you'll be hard pressed to find a game that loads your cpu over 50%. The GPU is going to be your performance bottleneck in nearly every case.

If you're planning on doing anything other than gaming, such as video/image editing, hyperthreading is a godsend.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Pirusu wrote: »
    It seems kinda...I dunno...like ricing out a car to put those beautiful parts in the lower end Corsair cases. They're not bad at all just...fuck it, go all out!

As long as you have a case that has all the features you want (front USB3.0, vent filters, decent cable management) and is built solid and strong, then spending more money on it just takes away from the budget for better parts. It's nothing at all like putting a Lamborghini motor in a Daewoo, because in the first scenario the car chassis is completely incapable of controlling the amount of power the motor puts out, and in the second scenario, the internal computer components do not rely on the case for their performance at all.

My ideal case is a nearly featureless black box. No LEDs. No markings. No plexiglass windows. Just a box.

Thankfully, such a wonderful contraption exists.. Technically it does have a front power LED, but I definitely did not plug it in.

Dehumanized on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular

I was being tongue in cheek!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I splurged on the Corsair Carbide 500R when I built my computer, because the aesthetics of my case are pretty important to me.

Also it was on sale for $100.

IKknkhU.gif
    I myself went for the 550D, and I love it.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Okay, it's computer upgrade time. My old Core 2 Quad setup has held in for a surprisingly long time but I'm starting to run into things it can't do as well. Upgrading the processor means I need to get a new motherboard and RAM, of course, but I'm planning on keeping the graphics card (GTX660), power supply (a 550W SeaSonic) and hard drives.

Here's what I priced out so far:
    Core i5-4670K - $240
    ASRock Z87 "Extreme3" - $115
    8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 (Corsair ValueSelect) - $79

Does this look okay? I've been out of the loop for a while. Can I go cheaper on the processor? I know that only the "K" models will let you overclock now, although when I was overclocking my Q9400, I could never keep it stable at the speeds I wanted for more than a couple months. Is it worth the trouble?

That looks fine, although you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler to overclock. I have my i7-3770K at 4.5 GHz just because I can.

edited February 2014
    Both Xbone and ps4 have genuine octocore processors, so eventually console game devs will figure out how to take advantage of this and make their products more multithreaded. However HT doesn't increase compute, but makes it so there is no wait between computes; it handles better lots of tasks that are similar in some way (hence the application in rendering, encoding, folding, virus scan) and doesn't help at all for 1 really big serial task; or maybe this description helps.

IMO console game devs will focus on how to best use multiple compute cores available, rather than try to take advantage of HT-not-really-cores cores.

Djeet on
    HT does increase compute though. Or it will in any situation where not all of the components of a core are being used each cycle. There's also a hefty amount of dark magic going on to make HT give as much of a performance boost as possible.

In my rig, turning on HT and using 8 threads gives a straight up x2 performance boost to using simulationcraft vs no HT and 4 threads. I see similar performance gains in most tasks that actually load my processor to 100%.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Looking at some of the prices you guys post makes me feel really spoiled living so close to a microcenter, do they not ship stuff?

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    Looking at some of the prices you guys post makes me feel really spoiled living so close to a microcenter, do they not ship stuff?

All of their really good deals are in store pick up only. It really sucks that theres only one in California; I used to live 2 hours from it but now I live like 7 :/

Djeet wrote: »
    Both Xbone and ps4 have genuine octocore processors, so eventually console game devs will figure out how to take advantage of this and make their products more multithreaded. However HT doesn't increase compute, but makes it so there is no wait between computes; it handles better lots of tasks that are similar in some way (hence the application in rendering, encoding, folding, virus scan) and doesn't help at all for 1 really big serial task; or maybe this description helps.

IMO console game devs will focus on how to best use multiple compute cores available, rather than try to take advantage of HT-not-really-cores cores.

Yeah the 360 had 6 threads it could use but PC ports typically used 2-3.

Daedalus wrote: »
    Okay, it's computer upgrade time. My old Core 2 Quad setup has held in for a surprisingly long time but I'm starting to run into things it can't do as well. Upgrading the processor means I need to get a new motherboard and RAM, of course, but I'm planning on keeping the graphics card (GTX660), power supply (a 550W SeaSonic) and hard drives.

Core i5-4670K - $240

Does this look okay? I've been out of the loop for a while. Can I go cheaper on the processor? I know that only the "K" models will let you overclock now, although when I was overclocking my Q9400, I could never keep it stable at the speeds I wanted for more than a couple months. Is it worth the trouble?

If you're not going to overclock you can get the processor for 30 less.

HT cores are not compute cores. For simplicities sake you could consider HT a doubling of the pipeline feeding the compute/execution core. The vast majority of applications will see absolutely no benefit from HT. That said, for workflows that take advantage of HT they can give significant benefit. I cannot think of any game that works better with HT vs a similarly clocked non-HT cup. W/r/to published benchmarks i7's beat i5's only to the extent that they are clocked higher.

What games are actually cpu bound anyway? You could run pretty much any game out there on an i3 that was clocked sufficiently fast.

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

Core i5-4670K - $240

If you're not going to overclock you can get the processor for 30 less.
    Or, if you live near a Microcenter you can get the 4670K in-store for $180.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413251/Core_i5_4670K_34GHz_Socket_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

So, on the topic of SSDs: I'm going to buy one.

Looking around, it seems I can get a 240GB Crucial M500 for $130 shipped on Amazon, or even a few bucks less elsewhere. Is there any convincing reason to spring for the more expensive Samsung option? I see a lot of recommendations for the latter.

I'd like to get a 240 GB model as that'll give me enough overhead to use it as a primary drive for the foreseeable future. I don't tend to keep a lot of media hanging around.

edited February 2014
    There's a few different SSD technologies out there. It usually breaks down that the cheaper ones are a tech that will not last as long as the more expensive ones, and are a bit slower. That being said, even the cheap ones ought to last 5 or so years with normal use.

Cabezone on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    There's a few different SSD technologies out there. It usually breaks down that the cheaper ones are a tech that will not last as long as the more expensive ones, and are a bit slower. That being said, even the cheap ones ought to last 5 or so years with normal use.

Shrug, even TLC based SSDs will last ages unless you're using a tiny one.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Alright so I've started putting my current build into my new Corsair Carbide Air 540. Here are some photos I took while working on things. This was over a few days.

Here's a component list:
    CPU: i7 3770K
    Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO (Ordered. Will be here 2/12/14)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) 1600
    GPU: Sapphire 7870 XT (Tahiti LE)
    Boot Drive: OCZ Vertex 4, 64GB
    HDD: 500GB 7200RPM
    Old PSU: Non 80+ 500W Rosewill.
    New PSU: Seasonic G Series 650W Semi Modular
    Old Case: Rosewill Blackbone
    New Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
    Fans: 3 Corsair AF120 White LED on front (intake), 1 AF140 stock fan on rear (exhaust), 2 AF140 stock fans on top (exhaust).
    Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2

So here we go!
    Case arrives.
    4Ouypci.jpg

Decent packaging. Cool bag protective bag thing.
    Kivq1qf.jpg

Here she is!
    0n5Dq2G.jpg

Corsair
    8GeVV9H.jpg

Time for the transplant.
    SxKRIBm.jpg

Before the takedown.
    MWbeqzt.jpg

Progress.
    UYZpw9D.jpg

Cable management was difficult with the PSU having super short wiring, and the back panel not offering much space or many holes.
    Cv4LjPk.jpg

The parts. Actually didn't include the DVD drive in the new case.
    6K36JiJ.jpg

SLUAYXw.jpg?1

Main compartment.
    alQd8PA.jpg?1

Isolated PSU/Drives/etc compartment.
    vVZ3whF.jpg?1

Putting the parts in.
    1pcHInn.jpg

Got some AF120 While LED fans, with 2 more on the way. Its gonna be 3 of those in the front and the stock 140's in the top and back.
    rRC7ZN6.jpg

URi4TnC.jpg

nfFHFt1.jpg

Got my new PSU on Saturday. Time to take out the old one and put in the new.
    as7tcqx.jpg?1

Was nice having a semi modular unit. So many left over cables.
    37fZxaT.jpg

Before the PSU swap.
    ulfewFG.jpg

I got some birthday money and ordered 2 more AF120's, a Hyper 212 EVO, and a NZXT fan controller. Should be here Wednesday. I'll post some pictures of the finished build after that.

EDIT: Added fan info and controller info to spec list.

toloveistorebel on
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Going to put this in its own thread so as not to clutter actual building

zucchini on
  • toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    So, on the topic of SSDs: I'm going to buy one.

Looking around, it seems I can get a 240GB Crucial M500 for $130 shipped on Amazon, or even a few bucks less elsewhere. Is there any convincing reason to spring for the more expensive Samsung option? I see a lot of recommendations for the latter.

I'd like to get a 240 GB model as that'll give me enough overhead to use it as a primary drive for the foreseeable future. I don't tend to keep a lot of media hanging around.

That's a great price and a good SSD. Unless you were looking for a Samsung 840 Pro, I don't think there's any reason to go with Samsung over Crucial. I think the M500 is better than their M4 which was one of the most popular SSDs for a good while.

Aww damnit you got three velcro ties! I only got one with my SS-760! I did get a natty little velcro bag (to put my PSU in?), though.

Yeah I think my bag is only a drawstring type. I think I might use it in my golf bag for tees and markers and such. Instead of the typical Crown Royal bags everyone uses.

Oops, I meant velour, not velcro. Still drawstring though, and I'm using it to hold the nylon fold-out thing that the spare cables are kept in.

edited February 2014
    Oops, I meant velour, not velcro. Still drawstring though, and I'm using it to hold the nylon fold-out thing that the spare cables are kept in.

Oh ok. That's what mine has then. Mine didn't come with a nylon fold-out thing though. Sounds fancy!

For anyone that uses the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (or Plus even I guess), did you use the included thermal paste? Is it decent or should I get some Arctic Silver or something? Anyway I slice it its gonna be miles ahead of the stock cooler. So if its only going to be a degree or two difference its not really worth it to me.

EDIT: Good heavens. Cooling will be especially nice having three fans in the front. Its basically going to be a straight wind tunnel from the front top fan > fan on the 212 Evo > rear AF140. I'm gonna have my own polar vortex going on here.

toloveistorebel on

Oh ok. That's what mine has then. Mine didn't come with a nylon fold-out thing though. Sounds fancy!

For anyone that uses the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (or Plus even I guess), did you use the included thermal paste? Is it decent or should I get some Arctic Silver or something? Anyway I slice it its gonna be miles ahead of the stock cooler. So if its only going to be a degree or two difference its not really worth it to me.

EDIT: Good heavens. Cooling will be especially nice having three fans in the front. Its basically going to be a straight wind tunnel from the front top fan > fan on the 212 Evo > rear AF140. I'm gonna have my own polar vortex going on here.

It looks like there's plenty of room up the top of the case for an H100i, too!

edited February 2014

It looks like there's plenty of room up the top of the case for an H100i, too!

Yeah there's just a ridiculous amount of room for any kind of water cooling in this case. It will be a year or two before I start doing a custom loop or anything. I have a feeling since I'm getting a 212 Evo that when the time comes I'll skip the AIO route and just go straight to a custom loop. Of course I would need more monitors to make it worth it to have more powerful components to make it worth it to watercool everything :-)

toloveistorebel on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So a couple months back I bought a new machine, finally got it assembled last week

The case was a Bitfenix Phenom M

Holy mother of fuck was that case a pain in the ass to work in

It looks nice and it's got really good airflow for a case of its size but I swear I had to actually build that thing like five times to get everything to fit properly

Ah yes, the Corsair dice bag. It's a popular option if you don't drink Crown Royal.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    So a couple months back I bought a new machine, finally got it assembled last week

The case was a Bitfenix Phenom M

Holy mother of fuck was that case a pain in the ass to work in

It looks nice and it's got really good airflow for a case of its size but I swear I had to actually build that thing like five times to get everything to fit properly

Got any pictures? I'm thinking about this case. What were the issues you had?

steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Case check-in: Still in love with my Corsair Carbide 500R. Best case I've ever owned (I've had it for hmmm, two years now? Something like that).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Is the HD/SSD info in the OP and the blog still current? My old HD seems to be giving up the ghost and I'm trying to decide what replace it with.

This discussion has been closed.