As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I almost had a Supreme Victory just now... maybe this time...

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    not to be 'that guy' but wrong thread, guys : /

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    not to be 'that guy' but wrong thread, guys : /

Dammit.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    $150 was for the DLC pin tier, im guessing about the same for this one. Maybe less, doubt more.

Based on the statement about $10 in the store every 6 months, it sounds like a subscription. If that's the case, I would think it will run less. Either way, I actually hope they don't intend for it to be as rare as DLC (unless they intend to refresh the Club PA pin on a yearly basis).

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    My Combo Breaker, Sabrewulf and Valentines pins showed up today, yay me.

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    $150 was for the DLC pin tier, im guessing about the same for this one. Maybe less, doubt more.

Based on the statement about $10 in the store every 6 months, it sounds like a subscription. If that's the case, I would think it will run less. Either way, I actually hope they don't intend for it to be as rare as DLC (unless they intend to refresh the Club PA pin on a yearly basis).

I don't believe it will be a new kickstarter. With them saying they are going to be bringing back ads to the site and that they are going to be rolling out a full 'club PA', it sounds like to me also that this is just going to be a subscription based thing. I would totally be on board with a kickstarter....I throw a ton of money at that site as is....but I don't think that that is what they are doing this time around(I agree with orthancstone).

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    My only hope with the Kickstarter is that it won't be a "limited tier" or something like that. I don't mind paying, but I wouldn't want to see it too late and miss out.

• grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I liked ClubPA back in the day, I have no problem with it now. As for the pin, I guess it's really just going to have a high upfront cost if you're not interested in staying with the club, naturally you can just unsubscribe after you get the pin.

But depending on the manner of the pins "limited" status, it might be worth waiting it out for a trade or cheaper purchase? Say it's just a static pin and you get one if you sign up for the club now or next year or the year after, not limited in any sense except being a member.

Well if that's the case, you can expect a lot of people signing up who aren't in to the pins and they'll want to offload them, I think that's reasonable to assume as long as the "pin tier" isn't just the pin in difference from another tier.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    Oh I also wanted to say:

I LOVE THE VALENTINE'S DAY PIN!! :D

Haha sorry, I got it yesterday and I think it really is different in person, I really like it...might be one of my fav pins actually! Haters gonna hate! :P

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    ----
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    I liked ClubPA back in the day, I have no problem with it now. As for the pin, I guess it's really just going to have a high upfront cost if you're not interested in staying with the club, naturally you can just unsubscribe after you get the pin.

But depending on the manner of the pins "limited" status, it might be worth waiting it out for a trade or cheaper purchase? Say it's just a static pin and you get one if you sign up for the club now or next year or the year after, not limited in any sense except being a member.

Well if that's the case, you can expect a lot of people signing up who aren't in to the pins and they'll want to offload them, I think that's reasonable to assume as long as the "pin tier" isn't just the pin in difference from another tier.

I mean, the article itself states that it is an exclusive pin to that tier, but I do like your thoughts. What if eventually, if you're subscribed to ClubPA at a higher tier then others, they give you other pins as a reward?

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I like the idea of a pin that indicates membership in a club. For me, though, I don't think I'd want the pin if I hadn't been in the club at all.

I kind of treat my Stripsearch and Chainsawsuit pins like this too. Cool pins in their own right, but if I had no interest in what they represented, I wouldn't be interested in the pins.

Just my thoughts as an enthusiast. Really looking forward to the reveal of the pin and more about the other bonuses for Club PA members.

EDIT: I regret, though, that pins like this end up so rare that I would fear actually wearing them around! Like the non-Pinny Broodhollow pins.

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
    Kamelon wrote: »
    I like the idea of a pin that indicates membership in a club. For me, though, I don't think I'd want the pin if I hadn't been in the club at all.

I kind of treat my Stripsearch and Chainsawsuit pins like this too. Cool pins in their own right, but if I had no interest in what they represented, I wouldn't be interested in the pins.

Just my thoughts as an enthusiast. Really looking forward to the reveal of the pin and more about the other bonuses for Club PA members.

EDIT: I regret, though, that pins like this end up so rare that I would fear actually wearing them around! Like the non-Pinny Broodhollow pins.

Broodhollow pin! I actually bought one of the last ones he had there. Its so awesome.

On a sidenote, it does suck that certain pins become so rare that displaying becomes a risk that most (including myself) don't want to carry. I honestly don't know what I would do if I lost the DLC pin, or any other pin that was extremely tough to find.

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    As a thought... what if each user received pins based on their time as a Club PA member?

Rather than everyone getting the same pin each year, someone gets a pin that represents some sort of anniversary?

55ymlH2.png
    vid wrote: »
    As a thought... what if each user received pins based on their time as a Club PA member?

Rather than everyone getting the same pin each year, someone gets a pin that represents some sort of anniversary?

I could see something like that maybe happening, but that would sort of defeat the "collecting them all" mindset of Pinny Arcade.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That mindset is user created though, not an official policy.

Plus one would assume that some users with no interest in pins might still ebay them.

Plus one would assume that some users with no interest in pins might still ebay them.

I get that, but creating a pin like that is almost limiting it TOO much, if you know what I mean. Pins exclusive to Kickstarters/PAX's are one thing, but say that they released a pin for being in the Omegathon. That would be INSANELY rare, and sort of defeat the purpose, at least to me. Releasing pins based on how long you've been part of a paid subscription is the same kind of deal.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    but say that they released a pin for being in the Omegathon.

*Mike casual browsing the forums, stops, and pulls out a notepad labelled "Pin Ideas"...*

:P

fishfishmonkeyhat on

I get that, but creating a pin like that is almost limiting it TOO much, if you know what I mean. Pins exclusive to Kickstarters/PAX's are one thing, but say that they released a pin for being in the Omegathon. That would be INSANELY rare, and sort of defeat the purpose, at least to me. Releasing pins based on how long you've been part of a paid subscription is the same kind of deal.

Stop talking right now, don't give them any ideas D:

edited February 2014
    I think (would really hope) pinny arcade stays somewhat the way it is. Where anybody has equal chance to get every pin if they put in the time/effort/money. A pin for Omegathon contestants/winners would be way too rare.

rarity should be dictated by trading in the community. Sure, limited editions have limited/timed runs, but atleast at the moment there's enough for anyone who wanted one and for some people to even get a second, the ones out in the open to trade will make a pin rare, not an extremely limited opportunity

Ayefkay on
    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think (would really hope) pinny arcade stays somewhat the way it is. Where anybody has equal chance to get every pin if they put in the time/effort/money. A pin for Omegathon contestants/winners would be way too rare.

rarity should be dictated by trading in the community. Sure, limited editions have limited/timed runs, but atleast at the moment there's enough for anyone who wanted one and for some people to even get a second, the ones out in the open to trade will make a pin rare, not an extremely limited opportunity

I'm not too concerned if there are super rare pins and Gabe has said getting them all is not the intention. But, you're right, the community should drive or guide this sort of thing. Someone mentioned a while ago the interested idea of a pin upgrade. Like, you get a bronze Club PA pin for joining the club, but then after a year you get a silver one (and keep the bronze one, which would allow a lot of people to trade this away once they get their silver - letting non-members acquire a bronze after a year when the market floods with them a little as people trade them away; but completionists can keep their bronze). But, I do understand that this would make the silver, gold, platnium, etc pins really rare and that this may not be a thing the community wants, and/or may be a thing the community actively do not want.

So, here's my actual idea: I think it should be more like Club PA members get first dibs on new limited pins (and other select merch).

So, when a limited edition pin comes out, there is a small reserve stock of them (one each for Club PA members; or maybe a poll with each upcoming release so you can say whether you want one reserved or not). That way, you don't need to have an early morning vigil and can just leisurely log on even days after the pin comes out and your "reserved" pin will be there ready to buy. After a certain time period, reminder emails go out, then the reserves go back into the normal stock, which acts like a second chance for non-Club members to pick up any stock that was reserved but not claimed.

Also, from time to time a pin discount or a free pin could be thrown in for Club members. So, like, anyone could buy the eventual Thornwatch pin set, but if you're a member you get at a discount. Even better, if you order the Lookouts Novel and Thornwatch game, you get the pin set free. Something like that. So, everyone has equal access to pins, but club members get perks, discounts, reserves, free pins and so on.

Of course, because it is "Club PA" where the P stands for Penny, not Pinny, this sort of arrangement could work with other merch too.

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Releasing pins based on how long you've been part of a paid subscription is the same kind of deal.

There's a bit of a problem to this logic, though. If they were to release a pin every year (of course, this is unconfirmed, just speculation based on the previous discussion.) and that pin changes every year, then people who weren't members during that particular year would miss out forever, or until they made a really good trade.

If you received a pin based on your time as a member, then a user who got into the pin trading a year later would have still have the opportunity to get the "Year 1" pin, they would just receive it later than someone who signed up on Day 1.

55ymlH2.png
    vid wrote: »
    Releasing pins based on how long you've been part of a paid subscription is the same kind of deal.

There's a bit of a problem to this logic, though. If they were to release a pin every year (of course, this is unconfirmed, just speculation based on the previous discussion.) and that pin changes every year, then people who weren't members during that particular year would miss out forever, or until they made a really good trade.

If you received a pin based on your time as a member, then a user who got into the pin trading a year later would have still have the opportunity to get the "Year 1" pin, they would just receive it later than someone who signed up on Day 1.

That's true, but you're still having to basically pay into this thing you don't want to just so your collection isn't incomplete. I can see them doing something like that, and I wouldn't mind. I actually like being rewarded for stuff like that, but for those who would only be in it for Pins, I can see why it would be come bothersome.

@Kamelon had a good idea though, kudos to you!

edited February 2014
    I'm sure ClubPA will have a some amount of Pinny related tie-in but I think the bulk of it is going to be based on extra content.

Like funding more Automata comics (come on!), getting podcasts early, getting PATV early etc. Putting too much Pinny stuff in there would just make it a Pinny Club and Pinnys has enough monetary commitment as is. I think it's ok that they're using a Pin to help push ClubPA to begin with but I honestly wouldn't want it to be a permanent fixture.

I think there's a fine line in creating rarity, obviously limited runs are just necessary and are a tired and true way of doing it but here everyone has an equal chance of refreshing their browser at the right time, it's a relatively level playing field. A pure money based exclusivity, like an ongoing subscription you can't afford that just creates more of a class based rarity, eh, not sure I'm in to that idea.

I'm hoping this is really just a one-off tie in, it's more like the DLC pin with Kickstarter. But any ongoing perks, I'm not so sure about.

grgemonkey on
    ----
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Tracking who signed up when would be a lot of extra work, and so I don't see Membership Pins being a Thing for a while. That's even if you can sign up at any point in the year. It may well be that Club PA is open for a certain period, and then you get the yearly benefits. Missed out? Sign up next year.

From what I understand, the point is for them to be able to do more of the Eyrewood, Automata and Sand storylines. They need to be paid for somehow, and whilst bringing back the ads will help with some of it, this new attempt is to get enough money to cover the rest. From the market research standpoint it will also be an indicator of just how many people want this stuff.

I don't know if they are going to do it as a Kickstarter, as a one time annual purchase or even a subscription model a la Shut Up and Sit Down. I would hope that the tiers are bundle friendly, so that if you can only afford a lower tier you can still get the things you want. So if you pay for the first tier you get two of the items, the next tier you get three, etc. That seems fairer to me than putting certain things at a higher level.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I'm probably in at whatever tier is necessary to get the pin, regardless of the cost.

• Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Do we want to start tracking who's going PAX East this year? I think we could set up an easy off site for a Friday night meet & greet, and Sunday pin swap. Let me know what you think.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    There's a thread in the forum tracking that right now. Mostly it's just been people checking in, but there's been some talk regarding a Thursday meet-up and possible meet-ups during the convention itself. The OP has a list of people who've confirmed they're attending.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/186737/pax-east-pin-pals-meet-up-ideas

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure why but I only use this thread for pins.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    Main site is down. I'm assuming to reboot it back up with the ads.

Were the ads coming back straight away with Club PA?

So. its Monday (Tuesday here), waiting for this kickstarter news :O

8fuuo_RK.png
    edited February 2014
    Main site is down. I'm assuming to reboot it back up with the ads.

Were the ads coming back straight away with Club PA?

Ah, that could be it.

Btw... I liked your other display pic better :(

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
    I just had to avatar that comic. I'll switch back at some point.

Did they actually say anything about a new kickstarter? I thought the point of bringing ads back was that they wouldn't need to do those now?

Kickstarter, Club PA.....whatever its called, werent they announcing it today?

8fuuo_RK.png
    Yes. I've been occasionally refreshing the page until it went down.

Interested to see what's up.

Is it confirmed they're making the Club PA thing a Kickstarter?

Im not sure, i just said that.... Though when they mentioned "tiers", i kind of just assumed it would be a kickstarter, or something along those lines....

8fuuo_RK.png
  • DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Im not sure, i just said that.... Though when they mentioned "tiers", i kind of just assumed it would be a kickstarter, or something along those lines....

I think they are referring to subscription tiers (kind of like how Foxtel has different subscription packages)

Duckie on
    Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
    Ah yeah, actually when I was typing that I had a change of thought. Its most likely a subscription thing. Either way, not much longer to find out!

8fuuo_RK.png
    The suspense is KILLING ME.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'll get the pin tier for sure. I missed out on the DLC and felt like a fool. I'm happy they are bringing Club PA back since I wasn't really into PA when they first had it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
This discussion has been closed.