As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lords of the Fallen] Ancient Labyrinth DLC is out.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Tomasz Gop dropped by the comments section:
    Gop: Thanks a lot for having me, OnlySP! :) Glad to answer any questions, anytime.

SP: Glad to have you! There was one question on a previous article on Lords of the Fallen about why there isn't a Wii U version of the game. Mind clarifying that?

Gop: Sure. 50 people on the development team, the engine's not tailor-made for Wii platform... the answer is: not enough time and resources. :(

No Wii U version of LotF.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2014
    Some pics new pictures that depict dual-wielding : http://www.onlysp.com/lords-of-the-fallen-new-screenshots/
    i2pH2cP.jpg
    ojZZC7h.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2014
    VG247 will have an interview with Gop next week. Some bits were revealed: http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/15/lords-of-the-fallen-dev-reflects-on-dark-souls-comparison-is-not-a-franchise/

On the Dark Souls comparisons, battles will prove tricky, with nine weapon pools to choose from spread across three classes. Melee is the heart of combat, and boasts a range of combos that must be mastered to fell demonic enemies with ease. Some attacks offer brief windows of invulnerability that must be used to increase your survival, as well as blocking and dodge rolls. Just like From Software’s series, attack patterns must be memorised and brutal foes must be slain against all seemingly impossible odds.

He explained, “Lords of the fallen is a game that is not a game about – and I don’t want to get this wrong because we do have storyline, we do have characters, NPCs and quest – but this is not a game where you would like to take out 100 hours of storyline and a thousand side-quests. This is a game about you crossing the gap, and the difference and distance between being a random noob at the beginning, and skilled pro player at the end. This crafting of your skill is what this is about, and I thought Dark Souls was exactly about the same thing.”

So Lords of the Fallen definitely places emphasis on personal progression and overcoming challenges. He added, “For me personally – and it was one of the biggest take-aways from Dark Souls – I could honestly say, that I was on the other side of the experience that people beginning the game have. Like, at the end of the day I could honestly say, ‘I owned the game.’ This is exactly what you’re trying to get with the right mind-set with games like Dark Souls, and I believe Lords is going to do the same thing.”

I asked Gop if people were dying often during internal tests, and he replied, “Of course, and this is going to depend on your approach, because there will be guys who will be trying to do everything at the high slope of the learning curve. For them, it will be an experience probably comparable to Dark Souls.” He stressed that those used to Dark Souls, and who have a mastery of melee and magic forms of combat will find the game relatively easier, but cautioned that there’s a difference between something being difficult and simply demanding a lot of your time.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2014
    Namco Bandai will publish the console version in the USA:
    Namco Bandai Games America have formed an exclusive publishing agreement with developer CI Games, by which Namco will publish the studio’s console releases of Enemy Front and Lords of the Fallen in America.

Namco Bandai To Publish World War II Shooter In U.S. screenshot

Enemy Front is a World War II shooter and is slated for release on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Meanwhile, Lords of the Fallen is an action RPG, which takes place in an original setting. This game is head to PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/17/namco-bandai-publish-world-war-ii-shooter-u-s/#dwgzjIQOR404A7wV.99

I wonder if that's good news. Seems to work for From Software.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

VG247's interview with Gop is up: Lords of the Fallen is difficult, epic, and a little bit evil

Some quotes:
    Sure, it’s set in a fantasy world like The Witcher, but in this realm the people take an almost religious attitude to evil and the nature of morality. Thousands of years before the game begins, humanity decided it could no longer follow its god, so whole armies vanquished the entity and imprisoned him below the Earth. With his dying breath he tried to rise up from the rock, tearing his arm through the surface. The god ultimately perished but his hand still towers out of a vast mountain range, serving as a reminder of the old ways. The new era had begun.

Evil was vanquished, but the people decreed that it mustn’t be allowed to return. To that end, humanity started punishing evil misdeeds by coming up with a codex of all the wicked things a person might do, and then tattooing the symbol of each act on the faces of sinners. Lords of the Fallen stars a hero called Harkyn, a man whose body is covered in these marks. He’s as evil as they come, but as luck would have it; he’s the only one capable of stopping the fallen god’s demon horde, which has mysteriously sprung back into life. Fate can be funny like that, you know?

“It so happens that for whatever reasons our hero is a guy who has committed a lot of these bad deeds,” Gop told me. “He has been marked with that all over his face, and not only does everyone know that, it gives him a special kind of character, a personality. On one hand everyone believes evil can be cast away, but on the other hand our hero – this guy – is the personification of everything that is evil in the world. This has to be something weird, especially if, right now, it so happens that those demons are back. No one knows why but they’re back, so what do they do? Fight evil with evil.”
    “It’s an action RPG. We have not released any gameplay trailers yet. There is one trailer that is out, but we’re working very hard to deliver the gameplay trailer soon. I don’t know when that’s going to be yet, but you can be sure that the kind of depicting and the picturing of the user experience in all the trailers that we’re going to do is going to be a bit more like an action movie, rather than telling the story, which is probably what CD Projekt is trying to do.”

No gameplay trailer available. :/

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited February 2014
    A chat with Gop (in polish): http://gamezilla.komputerswiat.pl/publicystyka/2014/02/tomasz-gop-producent-lords-of-the-fallen-szczerze-o-grze

No video available to the public yet but the game was shown in San Fran recently to press members and CI got some good reactions.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Feb. 10. Finally.

923424_586624148087879_1154911445_n.png

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited February 2014
    Gameplay video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/10/seven-minutes-of-developer-gameplay-lords-of-the-fallen

About to watch.

EDIT: Not yet there. :(

EDIT: It's up! :D

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Looks like a neat middle ground between Dark Souls and something like Amalur both in terms of gameplay and art direction.

Curious how it shapes up and how magic works.

edited February 2014
    Agreed. I think they could work on the sound effects but it's a pre-alpha.

I'm interested in the magic of the three classes. I hope they show that soon.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Warrior charge things and bash

Rogue blink and throw spectral daggers

Cleric does some ranged burst and self heals.

I will eat my shoe if this is not the case.

Also up until that gameplay footage I was for some reason under the impression that this was a game about a Preist of Sigmar going out and murderating some chaos deamons.

Agreed. But customization will make it fun.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

From GAF,

Heavy GIF: abload.de/img/lords10arns.gif

"Let me show you the dance of my people."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    I like what I see in the gameplay trailer. Hopefully the combat is a little more interesting though.
    Any comparisons to Zelda and Darksiders is a good thing in my book.

Coming Fall 2014. going to be quite a few Action RPG's around then if Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 also release at the end of this year.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
    Now I got to watch the video in a higher resolution. I think the game could be described as Dark Souls with bigger, beefier enemies but without parrying. As far as we know.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Looks faster than DS, but the animations still look grounded in a way that something like Batman:AA doesn't.

Edit: Also, this is clearly a Warhammer priest of Sigmar game. I am ok with that.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

I used to describe it as DS + WH but I'm not acquainted with any Games Workshop stuff. Only superficially.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This really looks like God of War with a Dark Souls skin. I think the actual game mechanics (rpg backend, weapon progression, loot attributes, etc) and exploration will make or break this for me.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    I'm gonna make some changes to the OP. Suggestions for the thread title are welcome. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Use your Warhammer against the Gods of War, or your Soul will fall into Darkness by [Lords of the Fallen].

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

That's loaded. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

[Lords of the Fallen] Grimdark Souls of War

Capture.jpg~original
    edited February 2014
    [Lords of the Fall3n] Warsaw Drift. :P

Kinda fits.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Destructoid uploaded the same gameplay video but it has new commentary from Gop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHLlwV-7Pzs

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I wasn't sold on the "feel" of the first part of the video. That warhammer cleric-looking getup, though? THAT'S cool.

Needs a few more months.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I didn't know CI/D13 opened a twitter account recently.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Difficulty wise to me it looks like it leans Dark Souls. You'll die in a hurry if you take hits, but learning attack patterns and dodging will make it easy to handle. I've never agreed with using the term difficult for stuff like Dark Souls anyway. It's punishing to be sure. It's trial and error and learning patterns. But something like Devil May Cry 3 is a difficult game, one in which no amount of pattern learning or trial and error will help you if you're not dexterous enough.

Joshmvii on
    My beef with Dark Souls are the "two-hits-you-are-dead" boss fights.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I freakin love Dark Souls, including how hard the bosses are. But this isn't the Dark Souls thread. =) The developer guy in the IGN video indicated that the spinning sword boss guy would one shot him if he didn't avoid the powerful attacks too though, so it sounds like they're going for something similar.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Seems interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this and see how it pans out.

I didn't know CI/D13 opened a twitter account recently.

Bitch, I earned my stripes fighting O&S for the first time with a fucking +3 spear.

Do your worst.

Capture.jpg~original
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    This looks like someone trying too hard to be Dark Souls, but I could be wrong.

On a side note, this is a fucking awesome thread. Right on @Archsorcerer

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    It's awesome that I'm not the only one posting here anymore. Hehe.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I don't think it looks at all like trying to be Dark Souls, but that could just be me. I mean, it's an action RPG to be certain, but I see very little else that would point me at that comparison.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    It's awesome that I'm not the only one posting here anymore. Hehe.

well it helps that we've finally gotten something to talk about. :P seriously though, i like what they've shown and look forward to seeing more. i know its still a ways off but i'd imagine this game will get a big showing at E3 this year.

edited February 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith