Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Super Smash Bros Brawl! "...the two of them get along great! ...I think.

1464749515262

Posts

  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What? Captain Falcon was a Gannondorf clone, dude.

    Right right.
    My mistake.
    Then he'll be nice and change so Captain Falcon can stay the same ;)
    I messed up the math on the last page, but that would put brawl at 29 characters.
    32 is a much better number for a 4v4 game. That's 8 tournament brackets with different characters in a 4 way matchup.

    My math might be off. I can't find my calculator(on the computer, I mean.)

    But even still. Sonic, Megaman, and a new character = 32.
    Seems very likely, actually. In fact, I'd be shocked if we don't hit 32.

    didn't sakurai say he was aiming for 40 max? Probably a rumor, but I think 40 would work. The first had 12, melee had 25. Doubling the list like melee did gets a bit ridiculous with 50 people, but with 40 still a good number of new characters will be added (like melee), while retaining all the old characters too.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • mntorankusumntorankusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Look I'm just trying to reassure myself that I never have to listen to his annoying fucking taunt ever again.

    If I ever play against you online, I'm picking Mr. Game & Watch and doing his taunt over and over.
    There is going to be online. :x

    mntorankusu on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I doubt they'd settle for a certain number just because it fits well for a specific tournament type. Not that 32 isn't a possibility but I don't see any reason to believe there's any more likelihood of that than any other sane number.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Myth busted, then

    They're in after all

    I never understood why they'd be out. Yeah they weren't popular but Sakurai doesn't seem like he'd chop a character just because the majority doesn't like them.

    It was because of that fake interview, where Sakurai supposedly said they and Game & Watch would be cut.

    After that, people decided that this was totally logical and was certainly going to happen.

    Well it IS kinda logical...

    I mean, at least Ice Climbers were in Animal Crossing as an NES game. Game and Watch hasn't been relevant since Melee, and before that, since that failed revival in the mid-90s on the GBC.

    No, it's not. If it were logical, he wouldn't have been in Melee in the first place.

    They're both certainly more popular now than they were when Melee came out.

    they should add Mach Rider because I always thought the character was cool (especially his trophy in melee), but I guess he would be considered a captain falcon clone.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Look I'm just trying to reassure myself that I never have to listen to his annoying fucking taunt ever again.

    If I ever play against you online, I'm picking Mr. Game & Watch and doing his taunt over and over.
    There is going to be online. :x

    I'm warning you now.
    You are inviting the fury of the Balloon Pokemon all over your ass if you do this shit.
    I am serious.
    You'll be halfway through the second "BREEP" of the taunt before you realize that a really girly episode of DBZ seems to be beating the everloving shit out of you.

    :x

    The Muffin Man on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, people. I have a public service announcement to make.

    If you have an idea in your head that Sakurai said something, about characters, modes, whatever, and you are considering using that as a point in a discussion, here is a general rule to follow.

    He probably didn't.

    mntorankusu on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    I doubt they'd settle for a certain number just because it fits well for a specific tournament type. Not that 32 isn't a possibility but I don't see any reason to believe there's any more likelihood of that than any other sane number.

    Well Smash Bros. is a big tourney game, so I think the appeal would be in an even number without ANY overlapping characters. Even without the tournament aspect, I think they'd want a certain number of games where NO ONE overlaps. So whereas Smash Bros. had 3 matches before you start over, this one could have 8, or even 10 if we DO get 40 characters.

    The Muffin Man on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, people. I have a public service announcement to make.

    If you have an idea in your head that Sakurai said something, about characters, modes, whatever, and you are considering using that as a point in a discussion, here is a general rule to follow.

    He probably didn't.

    Even when there's something on the official website that seems strange in the least people like to dust off "probably a translation quirk." For some reason those phantasmal interviews are sacred word though.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • mntorankusumntorankusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Look I'm just trying to reassure myself that I never have to listen to his annoying fucking taunt ever again.

    If I ever play against you online, I'm picking Mr. Game & Watch and doing his taunt over and over.
    There is going to be online. :x

    I'm warning you now.
    You are inviting the fury of the Balloon Pokemon all over your ass if you do this shit.
    I am serious.
    You'll be halfway through the second "BREEP" of the taunt before you realize that a really girly episode of DBZ seems to be beating the everloving shit out of you.

    :x
    Don't worry. I'll only do it while you're flying to your doom.

    Which will be pretty much all the time.
    Ooh!

    mntorankusu on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Pix or it didn't happen.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Man, what is going to be their final Smash?

    A bear.

    A big, angry bear.

    In a hot. Pink. Speedo.

    Annnnd....bitchin' shades?

    TehSpectre on
    Sloth_Sig.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, guys.

    Are we assuming 18 different franchises is the limit, or just as high as we've seen so far?

    I assume the latter but I've seen people make pretty batty assumptions about this game.

    Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Which for all we know could mean the characters are still in but being given retooled move sets.

    Jam Warrior on
    TingleSigBar.gif
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, people. I have a public service announcement to make.

    If you have an idea in your head that Sakurai said something, about characters, modes, whatever, and you are considering using that as a point in a discussion, here is a general rule to follow.

    He probably didn't.

    Seriously.
    You are going to be sitting there.
    Spamming that fucking bell. I hit you so hard, you black out, you're in another match. I hit you again, you black out, you're at McDonald's, been working their three years, haven't made assistant manager.
    You wanna quit but you're bangin' the chick on the Frialator. They say she's retarded but them tittys ain't retarded!

    The Muffin Man on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    So this could mean that people like Falco and Ganondorf are cut.

    Couldn't it also mean that they significantly retooled both so that they're both unique characters?

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    I doubt they'd settle for a certain number just because it fits well for a specific tournament type. Not that 32 isn't a possibility but I don't see any reason to believe there's any more likelihood of that than any other sane number.

    Well Smash Bros. is a big tourney game, so I think the appeal would be in an even number without ANY overlapping characters. Even without the tournament aspect, I think they'd want a certain number of games where NO ONE overlaps. So whereas Smash Bros. had 3 matches before you start over, this one could have 8, or even 10 if we DO get 40 characters.

    Sure people enjoy tournament play. I don't believe that the game is being designed around tournament play however. I might be missing something but I don't know of any reason to believe otherwise. I've got no reason to think that they would try to force or scrap more characters to fit a goal number.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    I doubt they'd settle for a certain number just because it fits well for a specific tournament type. Not that 32 isn't a possibility but I don't see any reason to believe there's any more likelihood of that than any other sane number.

    Well Smash Bros. is a big tourney game, so I think the appeal would be in an even number without ANY overlapping characters. Even without the tournament aspect, I think they'd want a certain number of games where NO ONE overlaps. So whereas Smash Bros. had 3 matches before you start over, this one could have 8, or even 10 if we DO get 40 characters.

    I laugh at your cute idea that the tournament scene is likely to have any impact on the game design.

    Jam Warrior on
    TingleSigBar.gif
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, people. I have a public service announcement to make.

    If you have an idea in your head that Sakurai said something, about characters, modes, whatever, and you are considering using that as a point in a discussion, here is a general rule to follow.

    He probably didn't.

    Seriously.
    You are going to be sitting there.
    Spamming that fucking bell. I hit you so hard, you black out, you're in another match. I hit you again, you black out, you're at McDonald's, been working their three years, haven't made assistant manager.
    You wanna quit but you're bangin' the chick on the Frialator. They say she's retarded but them tittys ain't retarded!
    HEY

    PSST
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    I doubt they'd settle for a certain number just because it fits well for a specific tournament type. Not that 32 isn't a possibility but I don't see any reason to believe there's any more likelihood of that than any other sane number.

    Well Smash Bros. is a big tourney game, so I think the appeal would be in an even number without ANY overlapping characters. Even without the tournament aspect, I think they'd want a certain number of games where NO ONE overlaps. So whereas Smash Bros. had 3 matches before you start over, this one could have 8, or even 10 if we DO get 40 characters.

    I laugh at your cute idea that the tournament scene is likely to have any impact on the game design.

    I bet it will have some effect, especially in the balance of characters.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Pix or it didn't happen.

    He did say this, however he did infer that meant they would retool the clones with unique moves this time around. So yeah, no clones if they all have unique movesets.

    TehSpectre on
    Sloth_Sig.png
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So, guys.

    Are we assuming 18 different franchises is the limit, or just as high as we've seen so far?

    I assume the latter but I've seen people make pretty batty assumptions about this game.

    Assuming that we don't know a damn thing is the best bet. Most all speculation about this game is the fevered dreaming of madmen.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dislike ice climbers.

    Never mind.

    LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, people. I have a public service announcement to make.

    If you have an idea in your head that Sakurai said something, about characters, modes, whatever, and you are considering using that as a point in a discussion, here is a general rule to follow.

    He probably didn't.

    Seriously.
    You are going to be sitting there.
    Spamming that fucking bell. I hit you so hard, you black out, you're in another match. I hit you again, you black out, you're at McDonald's, been working their three years, haven't made assistant manager.
    You wanna quit but you're bangin' the chick on the Frialator. They say she's retarded but them tittys ain't retarded!
    HEY

    PSST
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII
    HIIIIIIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIII
    HIIIIII
    HIII
    HIIIIIII

    This is an accurate model of every single 1 on 1 on 1 game I've had, pretty much since the OG Smash. Two people fight, one is kirby and either taunts or tries to suicide someone/use them as a weapon. I'm immune to the Kirby taunt, but I'd cry if it were changed.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can we not just wait and see how many characters instead of trying to figure it all out. In the end it's a wait and see thing.

    DekuStick on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Pix or it didn't happen.

    He did say this, however he did infer that meant they would retool the clones with unique moves this time around. So yeah, no clones if they all have unique movesets.

    I know for a fact that he said it. Fuck I probably have a link in my smash bookmarks. I just wanted someone to quote me and then throw up a funny pic. Way to ruin a perfectly good joke.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey. People.

    Help me compile a list of links to EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW / PUBLIC STATEMENT by Sakurai.

    And then from now on you have to cite a source every time you say that Sakurai said something.

    mntorankusu on
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love Mr.Game and Watch, and this update all but confirms him. I never really thought Sakurai would cut him just because he's... wait, why would Sakurai cut him anyway? He wants this to be the definitive Smash Bros' game, it's his last one. He wouldn't go cutting characters without meaning, and there's no reason that G and W wouldn't be in Brawl that wouldn't have also kept him out of Melee in the first place.

    Also, he's really fun to play as. I can't wait to see how they change him for Brawl. With the apparently more dynamic camera, there's going to have to be more of an indication of his thickness, or lack thereof.

    Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Pix or it didn't happen.

    He did say this, however he did infer that meant they would retool the clones with unique moves this time around. So yeah, no clones if they all have unique movesets.

    I know for a fact that he said it. Fuck I probably have a link in my smash bookmarks. I just wanted someone to quote me and then throw up a funny pic. Way to ruin a perfectly good joke.

    I'm so sorry.

    TehSpectre on
    Sloth_Sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey. People.

    Help me compile a list of links to EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW / PUBLIC STATEMENT by Sakurai.

    And then from now on you have to cite a source every time you say that Sakurai said something.

    Like a wiki? [citation needed]

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey. People.

    Help me compile a list of links to EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW / PUBLIC STATEMENT by Sakurai.

    And then from now on you have to cite a source every time you say that Sakurai said something.

    Like a wiki? [citation needed]

    Some of those Wiki people get a little citation happy.


    Mickey Mouse is a widely-know cartoon character. [citation needed]
    Evil Knievel went to the hospital a lot.[citation needed]
    Two is an integer that typically falls between the numbers one and three. [citation needed]

    You know what, Wiki? Some times we really don't need a source to prove this shit.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    Some of those Wiki people get a little citation happy.[citation needed]

    LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    More on topic. Super Smash Bros, a game released on the Nintendo Gamecube [citation needed]

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sakurai had a damn interview though

    HE HAD ONE

    HE SAID CLONES WERE OUT

    Which for all we know could mean the characters are still in but being given retooled move sets.

    This would be amazing. I hope for this.

    Rear Admiral Choco on
    2WJtdLD.png
  • TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The funny thing is some of those wiki entries (I'm thinking of the Myth 2 tournament results page) exist primarily because the actual sites go up and down and get lost in the ether. [citation needed]

    on topic edit: ice climbers, lahl

    TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You guys don't seem to get my overarching point.

    Divisible by four means that everyone can try a new character and prolong the time before they actually HAVE to choose a character someone already used.

    The Muffin Man on
  • RaNcIdPsYcHoJoShRaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2007
    Dammit. I guess the franchise getting cut is Game and Watch then. :(

    Are you kidding me? If this update doesn't simply scream "all of the characters in Melee are returning", nothing will.

    RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!

    Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dammit. I guess the franchise getting cut is Game and Watch then. :(

    Are you kidding me? If this update doesn't simply scream "all of the characters in Melee are returning", nothing will.

    This the crowd that insists that everyone we've seen is unlocked from the start because all unlockable characters won't be shown. Because...well...no reason, just cuz.

    The Muffin Man on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ice climbers

    yay :)

    Bendery It Like Beckham on
Sign In or Register to comment.