As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blood Bound Game 2 - Now being played with the correct rules!

12345679»

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Sadly the inquisitor in this game got completely shafted

Kirindal should not have asked for constant interventions. With the mentalist revealed, his only other possible role (especially once he oopsed and revealed an unknown forcing me to correct it) was guardian... and guardians don't constantly ask for intervention. They want to take the stab, so as to trigger their ability. Thus infi's good move forced his rank token out without the ability and forced red to essentially completely reveal. With all of the red team revealing their rank tokens early (mentalist right away, then interventions for the elder) blue had more stabs to hide in once the teams firmed up

Assassinating obi was the correct course of action. It would force out the rank token without giving them a chance to quill and would allow an easy win. Since this plan seems to have been made under the assumption that blue had an assassin available, I'm not sure why you went for a direct assassination of the harlequin. From the possibilities list earlier, I considered the paths with mentalists unlikely (as mentalists tend to want to trigger their ability early-ish), and that only leaves assassins for non-interveneable damage - if you hadn't re-stabbed kirindal you would lose if blue had an assassin yes, but only in that scenario

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yay!

I hope I used my power to good effect. :)

Yeah, that was a great choice. You get MVP for sure

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Nice try red! With the Courtesan there, we didn't have a chance at all.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Sadly the inquisitor in this game got completely shafted

Kirindal should not have asked for constant interventions. With the hadmentalist revealed, his only other possible role (especially once he oopsed and revealed an unknown forcing me to correct it) was guardian... and guardians don't constantly ask for intervention. They want to take the stab, so as to trigger their ability. Thus infi's good move forced his rank token out without the ability and forced red to essentially completely reveal. With all of the red team revealing their rank tokens early (mentalist right away, then interventions for the elder) blue had more stabs to hide in once the teams firmed up

Assassinating obi was the correct course of action. It would force out the rank token without giving them a chance to quill and would allow an easy win. Since this plan seems to have been made under the assumption that blue had an assassin available, I'm not sure why you went for a direct assassination of the harlequin. From the possibilities list earlier, I considered the paths with mentalists unlikely (as mentalists tend to want to trigger their ability early-ish), and that only leaves assassins for non-interveneable damage - if you hadn't re-stabbed kirindal you would lose if blue had an assassin yes, but only in that scenario

There were two blue unknowns though. If I stabbed obi and he ended up being a courtesan for instance, we would still not be sure who to hit.

• Options
    True, but you would have had time to kill crimson anyway I think

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Gentlemen:

I see we'll have to sort this out in Seattle this year, in the time honoured method of stabbings.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    *coughbostoncough*

• Options

With a cortesan on blue I'm pretty sure we were screwed either way. No intervenes and blue had a bunch of spare wounds to spread out among it's folk.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    JPants wrote: »

With a cortesan on blue I'm pretty sure we were screwed either way. No intervenes and blue had a bunch of spare wounds to spread out among it's folk.

Your only option was to kill me basically.

(I'll post more when I get home; I wrote out the outcomes but I dont have them now)

To extend the game, I would have:
    Let preda intervene -> reveal role -> courtesan Jpants
    Preda stabs jpants (2wounds)
    jpants stabs rend

at this point it's 2/3 chance that Obi is NOT the elder
    Rend assassinates either me (game over) or obi (3 wounds)
    If they assassinate Obi and he is NOT the elder, I am only at 2 wounds.
    Obi stabs jpants (3 wounds)
    jpants stabs me (3 wounds)
    I stab jpants for game over

edit: here is all the info I had as of my stab toward jpants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AucK48SFCmp_dGhCT3AxNmc1LXpXR2ItcU1TYXVZTVE&usp=sharing

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was entirely what I was planning all along, going for kirindal who I suspected was the Elder to force red team to make a low percentage play.

Good game! Sorry B. :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, that was entirely what I was planning all along, going for kirindal who I suspected was the Elder to force red team to make a low percentage play.

MrB was utterly screwed. I thought he was entirely too quiet!

When I saw what he was, I tried to leave him an out (while at the same time making it ambiguous whether or not he was our true leader) - turns out it made crimson spend a seer on him as well, which was handy. =P

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

MrB was utterly screwed. I thought he was entirely too quiet!

When I saw what he was, I tried to leave him an out (while at the same time making it ambiguous whether or not he was our true leader) - turns out it made crimson spend a seer on him as well, which was handy. =P

Thinking back on it, I could have used it on Preda and Obi or someone else, but I wanted to make sure either MrB or Infidel were good to work with

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    We won by not revealing. Having 3 possible leaders left only chance to the reds...

• Options
    Thanks for runnin' Phyphor! I enjoyed the game and will probably be bringing it to our next big game night!

• Options
    JPants wrote: »
    Thanks for runnin' Phyphor! I enjoyed the game and will probably be bringing it to our next big game night!

Ditto, Phyphor!

One of us should run a game next round, and you should join in the stabbing.

Hmmm

If no one else is running one, I'll start one up when I get home tonight

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is a really interesting game that seems to be as complicated and deep as the players are able to make it.

Thanks for running this, @Phyphor

Question to all the people that have played this many many times: Does the game hold up after alot of plays or does it start to feel a little too solvable after the first five or so turns once a decent amount of information is out there?

• Options
    Sure! I've pre-typed the initial PMs up if you want to use them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JS2OLDep7apYWc40mV8_jG3DGpasMQ99GVdfg8nm6MY/edit just fill in the blanks

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Nah, it holds up pretty well I think. There is a point at which a winner is deterministic, but that tends to happen later in the game

I think this game was a bit of an anomaly in that only a few people got hit twice even

Then there's the pro Infidel move of revealing Elder first turn and not Quilling. Might be better live though, less time to think through everything

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a really interesting game that seems to be as complicated and deep as the players are able to make it.

Thanks for running this, @Phyphor

Question to all the people that have played this many many times: Does the game hold up after alot of plays or does it start to feel a little too solvable after the first five or so turns once a decent amount of information is out there?

If your playstyle never changes, then it gets stale.

That's where the... what's the term? "Emergent gameplay", I think it's called, comes from.

You'll have to change your playstyle every now and then to surprise people (and hopefully win)!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Sure! I've pre-typed the initial PMs up if you want to use them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JS2OLDep7apYWc40mV8_jG3DGpasMQ99GVdfg8nm6MY/edit just fill in the blanks

Ah, well, it's almost my lunch break. I'll start a new thread.

Here we go!

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Thanks for running this Phyphor, Seems like a fun game. Apparently the art is bad? How bad is it?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting again, Phyphor - though I didn't really know how to play my role and contribute in a way that would help me towards my goals. I didn't play as much as the other PAX peoples did - I guess I need a bit more experience!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Thanks for running this Phyphor, Seems like a fun game. Apparently the art is bad? How bad is it?

It's like they just went to the local Cam game for the shoot and then ran them through all the photoshop

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra