As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Costumes thread

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fair enough.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah. Red and blue with the yellow sunburst would look much nicer in my opinion.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    tumblr_mu2bcltW5R1qzzvpao1_500.jpg

see-through nip slip alert

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Yes. I know. Thank you.

That's why I changed it on the tumblr post.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I think it's bad ass.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd have probably omitted the piping details, but it's still a pretty dope shirt.

Speaking of dope, here's Kris Anka's Wasp design.

qd5IsFy.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh, that's not Kris Anka's design, it's just him drawing that design. That design is either by Acuna or Cassaday, I'm not sure which off the top of my head.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Joke's on both of you. That's Catwoman wearing a life-vest.

• Options
    Oh, that's not Kris Anka's design, it's just him drawing that design. That design is either by Acuna or Cassaday, I'm not sure which off the top of my head.

Huh, I'm guessing this was in Uncanny Avengers?

Well, in any event, I love it.

Yellow goggles are the surest way to my heart.

• Options
    Just how many characters do have yellow goggles?

Off the top of my head I've got:

BgJKpdM.jpg
    kYpdYPJ.png
    ZmTgfsw.jpg
    4y640Dp.jpg
    qMztvfq.jpg
    JhtZUZ9.jpg
    8y4Ldsj.jpg
    VEsIrU2.jpg

• Options
    Acuna did that Wasp design as far as I know, Cassaday and Coipel drew her in her, also totally rad, previous costume.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And on the topic of Wasp costumes:
    Wasp(Henry_Pym).jpg
    The fact that Hank Pym's stint as Wasp was so short lived is a bummer

the miniseries with him and O'Grady was pretty great too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Huh, I'm guessing this was in Uncanny Avengers?

Well, in any event, I love it.

Yellow goggles are the surest way to my heart.

Yeah, it's in UA. Here it is drawn by Larocca:

tumblr_mtrhgu1nSm1s5k9amo1_500.png

It's not my favorite Wasp costume, but it's pretty cool.

• Options
    It is pretty impressive how it took a pretty dated look and modernized it and incorporated her new color scheme

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't care for that costume at all. I much prefer her previous one.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Who's in the picture above Impulse?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Flamebird

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I really like that Flamebird costume. I don't think I've ever actually read anything with her wearing it, though.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is pretty impressive how it took a pretty dated look and modernized it and incorporated her new color scheme

Yeah, I always dug the little pointy hat, and I'm glad to see it back.
    Keith wrote: »
    I really like that Flamebird costume. I don't think I've ever actually read anything with her wearing it, though.

It appears in the second or third Teen Titans trade, which collects the Beast Boys mini-series Geoff Johns did. She was basically set to become a supporting character for Beast Boy, if the mini led to a full series.

Part of the reason I wound up dropping New 52 Batwoman, was that it led off with a story arc about Flamebird being a total jobber, right after Greg Rucka had told that same story. And now she's apparently changed her name to Hawkfire, even though there's already a Firehawk in the New DCU.

koeRY4a.png

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    damian's gonna come back as flamebird to team up with nightwing and there will be phoenix imagery, i just know it

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Does anyone know what kind of shoes new 52 superman wears with his jeans and shirt costume?

I already have a pretty good shirt and cape. I have some old jeans too. I'll be adding some patches to the knees later. All I want now are the shoes.

As for the cape... it's a generic cape I got online. It just needs a black S symbol on the back. I'm not sure how I'll do that though.

Armoroc on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Brown workboots
    superman6-1ubkag.jpg
    actioncomics1teaser.jpeg

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I love that costume so much.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Minimizing the cape like that in the second image is a really interesting choice. Makes Superman look brawnier, and like he's this dude who's so goddamn huge a regular cape is like some kind of a scarf to him.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a cool alternate take and I wish it'd lasted longer.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, it's a cool alternate take and I wish it'd lasted longer.

The sad thing is that Morrison set it up to not just be his early costume. In his later Action Comics he puts on the new costume when he's with the Justice League or at an official function or had time to prepare but would toss on the T-shirt whenever something attacked the city and he needed to be there right away.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    thinking about going as Cyclops this halloween

thinking plain clothes

thing there is, do i just get ruby aviators or do i wear the visor?

plain clothes i like him with glasses.

but no one will have any idea who i am without the visor.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    InvisibleGriffinInvisibleGriffin Registered User regular
    So I've had some random thoughts lately, and what do you guys think of replacing all the silliness about Superman's outfit coming packed in his rocket with him just encasing himself in a solid steel/aircraft aluminum unitard? Just have the colors act like car paint, and every once in a while have him punch something so hard that we get the visual gag of the sleeves peeling like the gun barrels in Looney Toons.
    Looney_Tunes_Vol_1_20.jpg

Also, somebody should really pick some consistency over whether the symbol is Kryptonian, an S, or a symbol that evolved into the letter. If it's an alien symbol, modify a foreign letter to look like an S so it's not just yelling that it's totally an alien S. I nominate lamed, which some fonts have leaning enough on top to slap on Supes as-is:
    lamed.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    first, the costume wasn't in the rocket, just the cape, as a blanket.

Second, a metal unitard is a really dumb idea. Not only is it kind of lacking in range of motion, it's getting into "superman wearing armor" territory which is silly

also you're calling parts of the traditional origin "silly" and suggesting they be replaced, and then suggesting something deliberately sillier to replace it. What?

"modify a foreign letter?" Unless you have a copy of the kryptonian alphabet laying around to refer to, this doesn't make any sense. A hebrew letter makes exactly as much sense as an english/latin one. Equating another culture's alphabet to something alien/otherworldly is kinda messed up.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    it's getting into "superman wearing armor" territory which is silly

well...

• Options
    So I've had some random thoughts lately, and what do you guys think of replacing all the silliness about Superman's outfit coming packed in his rocket with him just encasing himself in a solid steel/aircraft aluminum unitard?

So, Citizen Steel?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    it's getting into "superman wearing armor" territory which is silly

well...

yes I know

and it's silly

• Options

Second, a metal unitard is a really dumb idea. Not only is it kind of lacking in range of motion, it's getting into "superman wearing armor" territory which is silly

also you're calling parts of the traditional origin "silly" and suggesting they be replaced, and then suggesting something deliberately sillier to replace it. What?

"modify a foreign letter?" Unless you have a copy of the kryptonian alphabet laying around to refer to, this doesn't make any sense. A hebrew letter makes exactly as much sense as an english/latin one. Equating another culture's alphabet to something alien/otherworldly is kinda messed up.

Why would it be lacking in motion? The whole premise of Superman is that steel is like tissue paper to him. I don't see why that's silly, as it actually explains why he's not wearing rags one second in.
    Meanwhile, the thing with a modified letter looking like an "S" is that you aren't just taking an "S" and insisting that it's not an "S," and just happens to be exactly like an "S" in every way, while using a foreign letter is actually consistent with the idea of people just projecting something familiar.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Why not just make it a uniform where the "S" stands for "Superman" and the costume was sewn for like an 18 year old by his mom? Coming bundled in the rocket isn't so much silly as weird and unnecessary.

Who sends their kid into the universe swaddled in a cape?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why not just make it a uniform where the "S" stands for "Superman" and the costume was sewn for like an 18 year old by his mom? Coming bundled in the rocket isn't so much silly as weird and unnecessary.

It's a blanket.

It gets modified into a cape.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    An elseworlds Superman who wears a suit of liquid Kryptonian metal as his costume could be an awesome design

Instead of the navy blue, it is a tinted steel, instead of red, a rich copper, instead of yellow, a bright gold

He doesn't get his powers from it or anything, it's just some Kryptonian technology, maybe the first time Lois meets him she is struck by the image and that is why he is named the "Man of Steel"

Yeah man that would rock

Solar on
  • Options

Did I say "weird?" I meant to write "silly," in this case meaning "contrived and adding unnecessary complexity." With the swaddling idea, you first have to insist that he came with enough fabric, and then assume that it also has super powers, but not to the point that a feeble old woman can't tailor it.
    For just letting it be sewn by his mother, there are some slight issues with the addendum that he has a force field that does nothing but prevent nudity, but the main thing is that it doesn't really look like something one's mom would make for you, so that it would be better reserved for "early" costumes (just like the Kryptonian sorta-S I was proposing).

• Options
    edited February 2014

Why would it be lacking in motion? The whole premise of Superman is that steel is like tissue paper to him. I don't see why that's silly, as it actually explains why he's not wearing rags one second in.
    Meanwhile, the thing with a modified letter looking like an "S" is that you aren't just taking an "S" and insisting that it's not an "S," and just happens to be exactly like an "S" in every way, while using a foreign letter is actually consistent with the idea of people just projecting something familiar.

regardless of strength, metal doesn't move like fabric

unless it's chainmail, or a suit of armor with flexible joints and such

but superman in armor is a dumb idea, because he's tougher than any armor he could wear, at which point he's just wearing it to look cool which isn't very superman

also the reason he' not wearing rags one second in was explained by John Byrne post-Crisis on Infinite Earths - in short, that his invulnerability is an aura extends slightly past his skin, so tight-fitting clothing is protected from most harm.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I uh

Kinda hate that explanation honestly

Superman having an invulnerability aura is way dumber than just saying hey Bruce Wayne or Someone whipped up a pretty indestructible costume here you go

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    eh, I'm fine with either

superman in metal armor though, hella dumb. Cloth would actually stand up better than steel because it isn't prone to stress fractures