As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cookie Brigade] Holy diabetic coma batman, over $19,000 raised this year!

• TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    Got my 3 day passes. I'll be sending the cookies out ahead of time, though, so that I won't be traveling cross-country with dozens of baked goods.

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
  • fiveforchaosfiveforchaos Registered User new member
    Oh! This sounds wonderful! I love baking, and I love giving treats to people!
    This sounds like an excellent activity for my first Pax.

How many cookies are brigaders normally expected to make? I'll be going by bus, so I won't be able to make too too many, but I want to participate all the same!

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular

How many cookies are brigaders normally expected to make? I'll be going by bus, so I won't be able to make too too many, but I want to participate all the same!

Everything I've read from various posts indicates they typically have people willing to accept shipments if this would help, but this is my first year I've volunteered and it's still early so I can't say much for how many people or how much they can accept. But the first question is something I'm curious about, wondering how much to plan for.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular

Everything I've read from various posts indicates they typically have people willing to accept shipments if this would help, but this is my first year I've volunteered and it's still early so I can't say much for how many people or how much they can accept. But the first question is something I'm curious about, wondering how much to plan for.

I've offered every year for people to ship to me, and there's always at least 2 others that regularly volunteer for it too. I've never had anyone take me up on it, so I don't think you need to worry about locals getting overwhelmed with cookie shipments :) I say bring on the cookies!

fss_overall.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular

There's no "expected" amount. Every cookie counts for something! :)
    For actual numbers: my first year with the brigade I baked about 120 cookies. This past East I baked about 450.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • ViolentMustardViolentMustard Registered User regular
    Signed up, totally stoked to do this this year after 2 years at PAX. Contemplating making potato chip cookies (salty and sweet for the win) and something more PAX/gaming themed, but not sure what yet!!

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »

I've offered every year for people to ship to me, and there's always at least 2 others that regularly volunteer for it too. I've never had anyone take me up on it, so I don't think you need to worry about locals getting overwhelmed with cookie shipments :) I say bring on the cookies!

Good to hear. Unless something happens out of the blue so I can't even go, I might take you up on that provided the offer is still open. I'd much rather ship them out in advance instead of having to worry about transporting them along with all my other stuff. Plus being able to ship them out would probably free me up to make even more cookies.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    There are already a few people offering to be shipping locations, there is a thread in the PAX East 2014 area, as long as you're a brigadier and part of the PAX East 2014 group you should be good to go. Hint hint.

Brigadier application for registered users: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?board=44.0
    PAX East 2014 Group for Brigadiers: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?board=46.0

But shipping is definitely okay, I've traveled cross country with 30 lbs of homemade candy, I know that pain all to well.

For the number of items to make, its entirely up to you, obviously we like getting lots of cookies but not everyone has the time to commit to making a lot, even a small number goes a long way.

Think of it this way, the average per cookie last year at East was $1.50. If you donate a dozen that's almost $19 to Child's Play.

That money can buy a dvd that goes into the playroom at a hospital that gets thousands of hours of use.

That money can also buy batteries to power toys.

It could also be used to buy one or two cheaper nintendo DS games that will also get thousands of hours of use.

• ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    First timer as well, but ill be glad to send cookies ^_^

Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • TinTangoTinTango Registered User regular
    This sounds good. I can't bake anything, as I'm flying in from Overseas, but I'm happy to help distribute.

• benthensbenthens Allentown,PARegistered User regular
    I can bake some Gluten-Free cookies but I don't like handing stuff out. I can make tons of them.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    TinTango wrote: »
    This sounds good. I can't bake anything, as I'm flying in from Overseas, but I'm happy to help distribute.

There's never too many distributors (and usually too few...)!
    benthens wrote: »
    I can bake some Gluten-Free cookies but I don't like handing stuff out. I can make tons of them.

While there's typically too few distributors... there's really NEVER enough cookies!

JQ1qRPt.png
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Love what you guys do each year.

Keep up the good work, ya'll.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Temig wrote: »
    There's never too many distributors (and usually too few...)!

Which is crazy to me. I don't know. I understand not wanting to sacrifice time at PAX, but personally I can't stand baking and I like to think i'm really good at distribution. Granted, I have about 10 years experience selling popcorn and other goods through the BSA, but every distribution event i've helped out with they usually have too many distributors and too few suppliers.

Distributing was the highlight of PAX for me last year. It's so much fun to talk with everyone. Highlight of distributing was being requested hugs by the entire group I went to and being referred to by the group as a "cookie god"

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
    Oh man, how is it February?

Work has kept me insanely busy, but here are some updates:

1. PAX East Reg is up for existing brigadiers! - http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=groupmembership;request=15
    2. We have some awesome news regarding our Headquarters situation this year for all brigadiers. Information is forth coming in an email but I promise it is awesome.
    3. The downer to that awesome news though is we will need your help, so please stay tuned for information.

One thing I can tell you is that we can now accept people to help out on-site this year for PAX East even if they do not have a PAX Badge. Live in Boston? Only manage to snag a one day pass? Still want to help? We can definitely use your help in HQ.

If you are not a brigadier please register on our forums and complete the brigadier application.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    To the Cookie Brigade Admins: Though there are but few of you, you guys bust ass for months before PAX and then give up your entire convention time to do this. You don't get paid, you don't get Enforcer perks, you don't get formal recognition, and you constantly run the risk of discovery by putting your necks out to run the cat herd that is the Brigade.

To the Brigadiers: Your work is physically demanding, expensive, and you're constantly ducking staff. You buy, bake, store and pack thousands of collective pounds of cookies for months before PAX and then spend up to 16 hours each day on your feet lugging heavy bags of them around the con.

To Admins new and old: Thank You. What you do matters.

To Brigadiers: Thank You. Without you there would be no Brigade.

To Convention Goers: These folks get zero perks for all their hard work. Make sure to thank your hard working Brigadiers when you see them at PAX. (I recommend sponsoring a masseuse for a few hours in Brigade HQ, or sending up a hot meal.)

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    ^ This.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    <3@lexicongrrl

It's a rough job but somebody has to ensure diabetes to the masses.

So I found a pan and a recipe for making twinkies. I think I'm going to try my hand at some home made twinkies this year for the Brigade with some fun fillings.

ransim wrote: »
    So I found a pan and a recipe for making twinkies. I think I'm going to try my hand at some home made twinkies this year for the Brigade with some fun fillings.

I want mine filled with sardines.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular

This.

I have a feeling I am going to gain like 20 lbs as a result of PAX.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Due to my current job situation it is unlikely I'll be able to bake anything this year. I apologize in advance to the gluten-intolerant! :(

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    I just had an epiphany.

I can't bake this year, but I CAN BRING TOP RAMEN!! Seriously, who DOESN'T like a snackbag of raw top ramen crunched up like chex mix?

Due to my current job situation it is unlikely I'll be able to bake anything this year. I apologize in advance to the gluten-intolerant! :(

No worries, hope everything is okay! If you are still coming to PAX we can always use HQ volunteers to help our or distributors if you can donate some time. I am also going to marathon bake because I'm driving, if you have any good reliable gluten free recipes I can probably do a couple batches, I was already considering making some chocolate chip cookies with coconut flour.

No worries, hope everything is okay! If you are still coming to PAX we can always use HQ volunteers to help our or distributors if you can donate some time. I am also going to marathon bake because I'm driving, if you have any good reliable gluten free recipes I can probably do a couple batches, I was already considering making some chocolate chip cookies with coconut flour.

Ran - I've also got that GF peanut butter choc chip bacon cookie recipe if you need.

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    I cast a vote for jelly filled twinkies from the husband.

I'm shortening my list of ideas right now. I've been using the 20-somethings at hubby's work as my testers. We'll be bringing the old reliable cookies and some new ones.

We hope to see the cookie brigade love from PAXers.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular

If you can get your hands on glutino's chocolate sandwich cookies and Pillsbury's gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough, you can easily make very tasty gluten free oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies.

fss_overall.png
  • AmberxAltF4AmberxAltF4 Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So, I'd love to volunteer to bake if you guys are still taking bakers! Unfortunately, after I created an account on the cookie brigade site and clicked the link to sign up for the PAX East event, it said "The user whose profile you are trying to view does not exist." Are you guys done getting volunteers or am I just hitting a weird/random error?

EDIT: Please excuse my stupid. I just needed to validate my email address. Sorry!

AmberxAltF4 on
    Trade me pins: Lanyard!

XoFQ4b7.png
    So, I'd love to volunteer to bake if you guys are still taking bakers! Unfortunately, after I created an account on the cookie brigade site and clicked the link to sign up for the PAX East event, it said "The user whose profile you are trying to view does not exist." Are you guys done getting volunteers or am I just hitting a weird/random error?

EDIT: Please excuse my stupid. I just needed to validate my email address. Sorry!

No worries! And we're always looking for bakers, we never manage to have enough and this year we'll need more for East as there is a Sunday night event planned.

Ran - I've also got that GF peanut butter choc chip bacon cookie recipe if you need.

Yes! Any GF recipes people have that are tried and tested I'll take.

http://feastygeeks.blogspot.com/p/cookie-brigade.html?m=1

Previous attempt at a CB recipe catalog. All recipes have been field tested at PAX.

@LexiconGrrl I've posted my GF recipe on the forums. It's an easy, 3-ingredient, peanut butter cookie kind

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Email with updated information coming soon for everyone registered and added as a PAX East brigadier.

If you have not already done so get thee registered and signed up:

Brigadier application for registered users: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?board=44.0
    PAX East 2014 Group for Brigadiers: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?board=46.0

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I hadn't done this already. *ahem*

WuShock, brigadier in good standing, reporting for baking.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

WuShock wrote: »

Woohoo more bakers!

Speaking of baking, my first cookie experiment:

y6cyIW6l.jpg

Don't let these unassuming cookies fool you, they are Bacon Whiskey Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The recipe is still a bit of a work in progress, but these use delicious rendered bacon fat with Bushmills whiskey. I won't be using real whiskey for East if I make these though, as no alcohol cookies for the public, I'll be using whiskey flavoring instead.

Woohoo more bakers!

y6cyIW6l.jpg

Don't let these unassuming cookies fool you, they are Bacon Whiskey Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The recipe is still a bit of a work in progress, but these use delicious rendered bacon fat with Bushmills whiskey. I won't be using real whiskey for East if I make these though, as no alcohol cookies for the public, I'll be using whiskey flavoring instead.

The process of baking will remove the alcohol. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. :)

• BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular

Woohoo more bakers!

y6cyIW6l.jpg

Three of the worlds best things combined.... *drooooooooooooooooooooool*

The process of baking will remove the alcohol. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. :)

Well they also only have 2 tbsps of whiskey to the batch (about 2 dozen). So its really not much.

And while I do love the brigade, I don't love the brigade enough to use that much of my expensive single malt whiskey for it.

Perhaps a "special reserve" batch of these should be made with the real deal for those in good standing at PAX.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Perhaps a "special reserve" batch of these should be made with the real deal for those in good standing at PAX.

That is most definitely doable.

PAX East 2014 Intake questionnaire is up! If you are participating please take a few minutes to fill this out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDVfdWFVbFRadnRkM2F5WWo4Zm5henc6MA#gid=0