As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Child of Light] JRPG made by Ubi Montreal. Vita version available on July 2nd.

ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBbB4sfEpQ

Plot
The Queen of the Night has stolen the Sun, the Moon and the Stars. You play as Aurora, the daughter of an Austrian duke with a pure heart whose soul is brought to the kingdom of Lemuria. Embark on a quest to recapture the three sources of light, defeat the Queen of the Night and restore the kingdom of Lemuria.

Description
Child of Light is a platforming role-playing video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. The game puts players in the shoes of Aurora, a child stolen from her home, who, in her quest to return, must bring back the sun, the moon and the stars held captive by the mysterious Queen of the Night. Helped by her playable companion Igniculus the firefly and several unlikely allies, Aurora will face her darkest fears in this modern take on a coming-of-age story.

The game is largely inspired by popular old-school RPGs, such as Grandia and Grandia II. Most of the core creative team is formed of people who worked on Far Cry 3, both games share a similar upgrade skill tree.

It is set to release on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014. It is powered by UbiArt Framework, an in-house engine by Ubisoft previously used for Rayman Origins and its sequel, Rayman Legends.

Pictures
1186126_230739623750618_1503674980_n.jpg
1234140_230739620417285_1486360127_n.jpg
1424484_249890061835574_1969670735_n.jpg

A little chat with Jeffrey Yohalem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcZ3Kig7c8

Developer walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkljZTI2ryA

Follow the game on tumblr for interviews and some fanart: http://childoflightgame.tumblr.com/

1380499_241956435962270_1008704685_n.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
Archsorcerer on

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    this game does look utterly stunning, and its great to see a big publisher being so willing to do something a bit different. hopefully the Ubi-Art engine will result in a lot more projects like this.

• Options
    Well, it took a little bit of pressure. Ubi didn't want to take a risk after Beyond Good & Evil.

But there is also the chance of the developers being sick of making sequels and going somewhere else. There is competition in Montreal.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I think it's also the rise of digital distribution, and the realization that not everything can be a megahit making mid-tier titles both a possibility and a necessity.

How are they handling party members in this game? Paper Mario Thousand Year style?

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Characters can join you. That's all I know.

There might be something on the interviews in tumblr.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Well, it took a little bit of pressure. Ubi didn't want to take a risk after Beyond Good & Evil.

But there is also the chance of the developers being sick of making sequels and going somewhere else. There is competition in Montreal.

true, but i think the smaller budget for titles like this may have played a part in getting it greenlit. i imagine if it proves to be successful(along with the WW1 game they're making) then we could see a number of smaller titles being released between their AAA efforts.

and maybe they'll finally get around to making BG&E2, but that's just wishful thinking. :(

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Can't wait for this, second most anticipated game of 2014 after X for me.

• Options
    An update: http://childoflightgame.tumblr.com/post/68900049044/technical-artist-carol-bertrand
    Today we have Technical Artist Carol Bertrand to talk to us about VFX. We’ll talk about working on a fantasy title and what it’s like to make VFX with the Ubi Art Framework.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Ubisoft announced an April 30 release date for this, priced at ~$15. confirmation here, and apparently there's also a new trailer. At $15 this is a rare day 1 buy for me, only question is which platform.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I finally got to watch the launch date trailer and....damn I want this. It makes me sad there's so little hype for it, I really want it to do well for Ubi. If they can't make money with a pretty, dead cheap turn based RPG the genre is even deader than I thought, and it's still my favorite.

• Options
    They are really going multi-platform. If they port the game to mobile they will make a lot of extra cash anyway.

I hope it delivers.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...I was already on board with this game then they said they got inspiration for the battle system from Grandia 2.

Now I'm super on board with this game.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I hope Ubi does a good job of marketing this. It's coming out at a great time for the PS4/XBone since there's still a lull in titles after launch.

nusu on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    To me the problem is the Dark Souls II hype. I think people will still be playing and talking about it a lot. Sucking attention from a lot of other stuff.

DS didn't sell that many copies but there is hype.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Darkwraiths of hype-sucking.

• Options
    Blog update: Localisation Project Manager Mathieu Donsimoni
    We sat down with Mathieu Donsimoni in the Montreal Studio to chat about the difficulties in translating a game as unique and complex as Child of Light.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Playstation people in Europe will have access to a crossbuy special edition (from GAF): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779570

It's also available for PC.

jbquksTrUfDjpo.jpg
    London, UK – March 5th, 2014 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Child of Light, the poetic turn-based RPG that will release digitally on April 30th, 2014, will also be available the same day in retail as a Deluxe Edition on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and on Windows® PC. This Deluxe Edition is available for pre-orders right now and will be available in the UK and other EMEA territories only.

The Child of Light Deluxe Edition will contain exclusive content, including a poster designed by Yoshitaka Amano, the renowned Japanese artist, a 24 page art book with unrevealed artwork and an Igniculus key ring. This boxed edition will also include additional game content, with a bonus quest, a new character and a pack of collectibles.

Additionally, the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of the game, both in retail and digital, will benefit from the cross-buy option. Therefore, players buying Child of Light on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 will be able to play the game on both platforms at no additional cost.

Child of Light is created by a small team of seasoned developers based in Ubisoft Montreal. It has been developed on Ubisoft’s UbiArt Framework, a powerful engine that lets programmers and artists bring their art to life by allowing original concept art to be inserted unedited into the game world. In Child of Light, the effect is akin to stepping into an interactive painting.

Child of Light is a reimagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria. Players will uncover mysteries, participate in turn-by-turn combat inspired by classic JRPGs, and explore a mystical kingdom. The game puts players in the shoes of Aurora, a child stolen from her home, who, in her quest to return, must bring back the sun, the moon and the stars held captive by the Queen of the Night. Helped by her companion Igniculus the firefly and several unlikely allies, Aurora will face her darkest fears, including dragons and other mystical creatures, in this modern take on a coming-of-age story.

The game will be available for download on Xbox LIVE for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the PlayStation Network for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, the eShop from Nintendo for the Wii U, and PC Digital, at the price of £11.99

From facebook:
    The Child of Light Deluxe edition is available for pre-order in Europe, Australia and Japan! It's filled with amazing artwork to go along with the game.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't know it was coming out for Wii U! I was gonna go Steam but...:)

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    The Wii U could use some extra games for sure.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    crossbuy downloads for everything except WiiU in the special edition

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Only PC and Playstation devices. It is also not available in America.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That better come out in the US, I want my Amano poster!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that is coming out here in Australia?! I AM GOING TO EB RIGHT THE FUCK NOW TO PREORDER THAT.

*disappears*

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    I...would preorder a lot more games if they'd include Amano posters.

I'd preorder games I don't even want.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Anyone here plays or has played Magic: The Gathering? An illustration from Rebecca Guay would be awesome.

Maybe for the sequel. :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'd even preorder Call of Madden if it had an Amano poster. Or an Amano centerfold.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This game looks beautiful. Just saw the vid on my xbox juan. I was hoping it was out now because it would have been purchased immediately just on the strength of that trailer.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Sup dude.

April 30 is the release date.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Seriously, this game needs some Rebecca Guay art.

1507568_559572777471091_198817506_n.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yeah, this is officially my most hyped game of 2014 so far. Want.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCSB9XPWVE

I can't watch it right now. I'm at work.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    This boxed edition will also include additional game content, with a bonus quest, a new character and a pack of collectibles.

And they're not even giving the US the option to get this stuff? That's pretty shit-tastic.

• Options
    No idea what's up with that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You have the option to cheat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCSB9XPWVE

I can't watch it right now. I'm at work.

John Bauer, you say?

229px-I_samma_%C3%B6gonblick_var_hon_f%C3%B6rvandlad_till_en_undersk%C3%B6n_liten_%C3%A4lva.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    What...I want that poster.

Fuck!

Ususally not the biggest Amano fan but that one is cool as hell.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith