As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Expigator wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'll go back to BWL necessarily as I'm not all about achievements, but who knows. I definitely will be in MC and BT though for them legendaries! Then again, could be fun to collect different warrior tier sets?

Warrior T2 is pretty darn good looking. I have it on my Goblin Warrior (sans the darn boots) and since I cant use Sulfuras as transmog weapon I use Ashkandi from Nefarian.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Made it to Northrend inscription last night. The last tier of vanilla was so easy. I didn't even have to use my mount because there are herbs every 5 steps in swamp of sorrows.
    Outlands was ass though.
    Terokkar is like the best place for herbs and its still so spread out it took 3 or 4x longer than Swamps did for the previous tier.
    Northrend should be too hard. And I already have a bunch of Cata herbs since I was an alchemist. so Thrusday will go real fast.

Bless your heart.
  • ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'll go back to BWL necessarily as I'm not all about achievements, but who knows. I definitely will be in MC and BT though for them legendaries! Then again, could be fun to collect different warrior tier sets?

Warrior T2 is pretty darn good looking. I have it on my Goblin Warrior (sans the darn boots) and since I cant use Sulfuras as transmog weapon I use Ashkandi from Nefarian.

Is that the one with the blades on the shoulders? If it were black I'd probably be all in on it. I always preferred Dreadnaught Gear (Tier 3) or the Tier 6 stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoTx5-EIhoM

What's up with those Naxx tiers, the youtube video says it can be purchased via the Black Market Auction House...is that true?

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Is that the one with the blades on the shoulders? If it were black I'd probably be all in on it. I always preferred Dreadnaught Gear (Tier 3) or the Tier 6 stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoTx5-EIhoM

What's up with those Naxx tiers, the youtube video says it can be purchased via the Black Market Auction House...is that true?

Yeah, the Naxx40 tier items can show up on the BMAH, but it's not often.

If you don't mind the recolor, Tier 7 is the same look as Tier 3

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think readiness, multistrike and amplify are the three new stats they've been throwing around.

Readiness will probably make it through, since just about every class has some major CDs that would benefit from it. So it shouldn't be terribly hard get it balanced, so that it isn't fucking terrible for specs that have it as their least valuable secondary, while also avoiding it becoming the end all be all for specs that value it the most.

Multistrike is likely to also make it live. Granted there are concerns when it comes to a few abilities that don't deal damage. I also have a feeling their going to have to re-evaluate their stance on stacking debuffs that don't deal damage (probably will be doing so with buffs that are comparable) because multistrike sort of becomes worthless for them once one maxes out the stacks and I'm skeptical multistrike maxing them out quicker will be enough of gain. That said, it should more or less be something they can get to a balanced state, it's pretty like critical strike but instead of massive hits, it's more frequent hits, which can proc some procs (pretty sure there will be some procs that get coded not to proc from multistrikes).

I would not be surprised to see amplify die in beta. IIRC the plan is to have it work like the meta gem that all dps get, where it increases crit damage. Right there is where the problems start because the crit synergy pretty much makes it a terrible stat for any spec that has crit as their least valuable secondary; especially, if they have low crit to begin with. Sure they could give it a higher coefficient for specs that won't be stacking crit. I'd also be a bit worried that it could introduce burst problems with specs that love crit, granted this concern is mitigated to some extend by Blizz making all crits 150% instead of 200%. I'm not sure they could do something different with it really either since you either go with something that multiplies all damage, thus making it a boring stat that no one turns down because of +damage, or they have it affect a limited number of abilities for each class, which seems pointless given that we have mastery for that. Part of me hopes someone mess up and the intent was for it to be tertiary stat because that would work fairly well, as a free stat, it would be awful for specs that don't stack crit and if they run with the idea of limiting certain tertiary stats to specific slots, they could probably prevent any nasty bursts issues from people that get lucky on quickly acquiring heroic/mythic gear with bonus gem sockets, ilvls (aka warforged) and tertiary stats (IMO, I hope they drop warforged gear because it's a really fucking stupid idea now that they are moving to a model where we could get gear with either gem sockets, tertiary stats or both.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it wouldn't be that bad for non-crit specs; everybody crits a fair amount with full buffs, especially by the end of an expansion

it seems like the easiest and least-likely-to-cause problems new stat, to me

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Most stat-based RPGs have a +crit damage stat, so amplify will make it in. If you don't benefit from crit, don't roll on +crit dmg gear.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    With all of the shit that goes on in the first frenzied few seconds of a given boss encounter, my comp lags down to about 10 fps. And then once Hero is over (or people calm the fuck down and run out of cooldowns to use), it stabilizes for me and I go back up to my normal 55+ fps for fights. It's not that the numbers are getting close to the variable's cap, it's that there's a shitton of fairly large numbers getting pushed out, and having to get mathed, and get pushed back to the players. Per second, you probably have about 100 attacks landing on just the boss, plus any damage the boss is doing either through AoEs or just fight mechanics, and god forbid there's adds to split off to kill. And then you have direct heals (AoE and single target) on top of the HoTs (also AoE and single target). Plus anything from pets, like Water Ele's Frostbolt and the Imp's Firebolt. And that's just for a 10 person raid. So already you're talking about a massive number of fairly large numbers that need to all be calculated and then sent back. I can see it getting pretty taxing for 25 man stuff when you start having the mages that can do 400k dps single target by spamming one ability, and then having a whole group doing similar dps and such.
    Turn off your recount/scada...

steam_sig.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Unless they radically change how Fire Mages work, amp/crit is going to a fucking ridiculous combo. Fire already scales stupidly well with crit and struggles to find another secondary worth getting, if they don't uncouple it from crit (the spec is entirely dependant on it right now) then it keeps the crazy crit scaling and adds another secondary that Fire will scale well with.

It just seems like amp will make crit based classes better, while not changing much about everyone else. I for one don't want to have to deal with nerfs every single patch because my scaling is out of control. Again.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Given that Blizz has stated that secondaries should be close to value (note, they aren't saying equal but close). So probably something like the lowest stat being like 90% of the highest one. So if crit has no benefit, then Blizz royally fucked something up and that's going to be a huge problem given how they are handling gear in WoD. Let's also not forget that "well if you don't benefit that stat, don't roll on gear with it," really didn't fucking work that well in Wrath for specs that didn't benefit from ArP, yet still got stuck having to suffer with it on BiS pieces or upgrades.

I mean if they game were purely PvE, I wouldn't even mention the possibility of this being a huge problem because they could adjust the coefficients for amplify, so that it doesn't suck for specs that don't stack crit, achieving the design goal. No one will give a fuck that someone playing one of those spec could potentially build a gear set, with fuck awful sustain damage, but have the potential to WTFBBQ non-boss mobs when the stars aligned. Problem is they want the stats comparable and they also don't want to have separate rules for PvP and PvE. So I'm skeptical they'll achieve a stat of balance where amplify isn't a fucking awful stat for specs that like crit the least, where stats that aren't crit and amplify might as well not exist for specs that highly value a crit/amplify build while also avoiding a scenario where it becomes possible for one of the bursty specs to build a gear set that is really fucking obnoxious in PvP.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I just realized that Weakened Armor and Weakened Blows are separate debuffs.

I have been a bad Boomkin in my raid, as I have not been providing them with Weakened Armor :(

Nobody else provides that debuff with their regular rotations?

• tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I'm at the end of my rope here and not holding out much hope for a non-hardware related solution but I figured I'd try:

I was running WoW in wine on ubuntu 12.04 with the gnome fallback desktop because fuck unity. It's been running fine for over a year, last time I had real problems was the patch just before MoP came out. The only issue was a quirk of full screen mode. If I had it in full screen mode and alt tabbed out the game would crash. No big deal, just use windowed full screen mode most of the time, but I had to use plain full screen mode when I was healing or healbot wouldn't recognize my alt key. Quirky.

Anyway. I was healing Monday night and I alt-tabbed to look at something. Game crashed of course, but when I tried to log back in my nightmare began. I crashed at the character select screen with a 132 error indicating that a memory address (the last four digits of which are always 1970) was instructing the program to read another address (seems to be random) which could not be read.

Things I have attempted to fix the issue, roughly in the order attempted:

Relogging.
    Rebooting.
    Switching to a different character before the crash happens.
    Repair tool.
    Deleting cache, wtf and interface folders.
    Complete reinstall of WoW.
    Upgrade wine.
    Upgrade video drivers.
    Upgrade to ubuntu 13.10 (that one hurt).
    Reformat and reinstall ubuntu 13.10.
    Test ram.
    Try each ram module individually to see if one produced a failure and the other didn't (both produced the error).

The only thing I can figure is maybe whatever was ailing it when I'd alt-tab was stressing either the ram or the video card and one of them finally snapped. I don't have a known good video card to test though. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: er, forgot to mention, the error has persisted through every attempt at repair. I log in, see the character, he goes through his animation a couple of times, then begins to slow, then freezes and crashes.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Bad: @aegis couldn't raid and our Disc had to leave early
    Good: Our Warlock got the last two pieces he needed, to catch up on gear and our new H-Pal got quite a few drops.

We're going to finish off Normals tonight.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I think the BMAH naxx stuff is overpieced

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Still praying that at some point going through garrisons, they'll decide this would be a great way to let people access all the professions (since they apparently don't like profession alts) and we'll just make the perk of picking two professions being convenience, rather than character power. In addition to some of the conveniences we already have, one of them could be that it's easier to use professions one chosses up (aka if you pick mining and jewel crafting, you won't have to go to your garrison to make use of them, but you'll have to do so for every thing else).

Especially if they're going to keep some crafting recipes requiring items like those spirits that you can only get when you disenchant raid gear, I would kill a man for a NPC disenchanter that can shard up my own stuff.

Heck, make it so that you only pull out the specific crafting stuff and not the enchanting bits, and I'd still be on board.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »

I think the BMAH naxx stuff is overpieced

It's the place for people with too much money, so yes you are exactly right.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    It's only real purpose is as a gold sink.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If they allow crafting outside your primary 2, it will likely be at a reduced capacity. The reason they don't like profession alts isn't because it's cumbersome or anything like that, it's because they want people contributing to the economy via tradeskills. If everyone were self sufficient, the auction house would end up suffering greatly because of it.

I think they overplay the impact of profession alts. Those still require resources to keep leveled and stocked with mats and I'm pretty sure most players don't bother with the practice. Plus, they've found ways to minimize that, one being BoP mats. I'd be okay if they did it at reduced capacity (you can craft less stuff or one of the perks to grabbing a profession is that you can learn recipes that the garrison NPCs can't, and required some time and resource commitment.

Hell, I'd love to see them take a similar approach with self instanced gathering nodes for herbs and mining. You can gather X ore or herbs from non-shared nodes per day, which will be adequate to level the profession in a reasonable time and keep up with bare minimum of gear maintenance or slowly progress with turning things out. It's one of the reasons why I'd love to see them implement a minigame setup with gathering and crafting, it would help break up the tedium, add in enough of time sink to prevent the implosion of the game's economy and remove one more thing that makes having more people around feel like a bad thing (I recall seeing one tweet where GC admitted, they were exactly happy with how the resource nodes made people dislike having others around). I'd be A-OK if they still forced people to have to compete with one another, when they want to do crafting or gathering on a scale that makes mad money.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They're trimming some of the stats (Hit, Expertise, Dodge, and Parry) out in WoD, but adding a few more (Readiness, Amplify, and Multi-strike) to replace them. Least that's the last I saw.

Frankly I can't wait for all that kind of shit to disappear from gearing. I've been looking at my shaman for the last month trying to figure out how much of what I actually need. It's not like there's any indicators that clearly say "you only need this much" for anything. The less theorycrafting necessary to compete for damage the better. All that readiness / amplify / etc stuff (those aren't the only three) they're adding is to give you personal flavor. But in terms of doing whatever in PvE content you should have success no matter what you choose.

edited February 2014
    Henroid wrote: »
    They're trimming some of the stats (Hit, Expertise, Dodge, and Parry) out in WoD, but adding a few more (Readiness, Amplify, and Multi-strike) to replace them. Least that's the last I saw.

Frankly I can't wait for all that kind of shit to disappear from gearing. I've been looking at my shaman for the last month trying to figure out how much of what I actually need. It's not like there's any indicators that clearly say "you only need this much" for anything.

If you hover over hit in your stat screen, it says "X% chance to miss attack". Get that to 0% and you're done. With expertise, it has % to dodge/parry, get dodge to 0% (parries only happen from the front so are only relevant for tanks).

reVerse on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    reVerse wrote: »

Frankly I can't wait for all that kind of shit to disappear from gearing. I've been looking at my shaman for the last month trying to figure out how much of what I actually need. It's not like there's any indicators that clearly say "you only need this much" for anything.

If you hover over hit in your stat screen, it says "X% chance to miss attack". Get that to 0% and you're done. With expertise, it has % to dodge/parry, get dodge to 0% (parries only happen from the front so are only relevant for tanks).

Or in other words:

7.5% hit/exp for Melee (2550 rating)
    15% hit for Casters (5100 rating)
    7.5% hit, 15% exp for Tanks (2550 hit, 5100 exp)

7.5% is a bit of an odd number, though. Not sure why they chose that, but oh well.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    I'm reasonably sure what will happen is the secondary stats won't be anywhere near balanced for many specs, which will end up screwing some specs that don't have a lot of their favored stats on loot lists, and unlucky players.

I'll miss reforging, which was a way to deal with that crap. Going to have to level at least a few characters to max before raids so I can pick the spec that ends up being good :)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I guess my enhancement shaman needs 15% hit then.

I wish haste was more relevant for that spec btw. The auto attacks don't do much for damage. Everything stems from the buttons pressed, which are instants.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    tarnok wrote: »
    Ok, I'm at the end of my rope here and not holding out much hope for a non-hardware related solution but I figured I'd try:

I was running WoW in wine on ubuntu 12.04 with the gnome fallback desktop because fuck unity. It's been running fine for over a year, last time I had real problems was the patch just before MoP came out. The only issue was a quirk of full screen mode. If I had it in full screen mode and alt tabbed out the game would crash. No big deal, just use windowed full screen mode most of the time, but I had to use plain full screen mode when I was healing or healbot wouldn't recognize my alt key. Quirky.

Anyway. I was healing Monday night and I alt-tabbed to look at something. Game crashed of course, but when I tried to log back in my nightmare began. I crashed at the character select screen with a 132 error indicating that a memory address (the last four digits of which are always 1970) was instructing the program to read another address (seems to be random) which could not be read.

Relogging.
    Rebooting.
    Repair tool.
    Upgrade wine.
    Upgrade video drivers.
    Test ram.
    Try each ram module individually to see if one produced a failure and the other didn't (both produced the error).

The only thing I can figure is maybe whatever was ailing it when I'd alt-tab was stressing either the ram or the video card and one of them finally snapped. I don't have a known good video card to test though. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: er, forgot to mention, the error has persisted through every attempt at repair. I log in, see the character, he goes through his animation a couple of times, then begins to slow, then freezes and crashes.

I imagine this won't help, honestly, but: Downgrade back to what you had before if you can. If it wasn't suddenly a problem with your software and was hardware, maybe the new versions don't work. You know they did before. I have no experience with your setup at all, though, sorry, so nothing else pops to mind.

Oh two more things.

What's the soft cap on Mastery for an enhancement shaman? I have 5957 rating with ilevel 500 and feel like maybe it's too much. <_<

Also I've grown extremely fond of Stone Bulwark Totem in a freakish way. Though I still have some hangups about it.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

I wish haste was more relevant for that spec btw. The auto attacks don't do much for damage. Everything stems from the buttons pressed, which are instants.
    Your enhancement shammy needs 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise, as it's a melee class. Expertise also gives spell hit, so that covers the remaining spell hit you'd need for any spells you'd be casting.

Opty wrote: »

Your enhancement shammy needs 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise, as it's a melee class. Expertise also gives spell hit, so that covers the remaining spell hit you'd need for any spells you'd be casting.

Not having this info conveyed in-game is dumb!

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    I just realized that Weakened Armor and Weakened Blows are separate debuffs.

I have been a bad Boomkin in my raid, as I have not been providing them with Weakened Armor :(

Nobody else provides that debuff with their regular rotations?

Warriors and I think Rogues can also provide this debuff (Prot warrs bring it through their normal rotation, and arms/fury has a glyph to include it on Colossus Smash). So you should probably be getting it if you have a warrior of any kind in the raid, and not feel bad about it.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

It's surprising the number of people who don't know that. I guess I always took it for granted because I often gem Exp/Secondary gems in red slots, but I really shouldn't be surprised. Nothing ever tells you about it. I never really though about it in terms of Enh shaman though. That's a neat way around the whole spell casting thing.

As for mastery caps, our Enh shaman has 19k mastery. I guess it's good then?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited February 2014

As someone who's a veteran WoW player, I guess I kind of take this stuff for granted. It's info I already know and am aware of... but for newer or returning players, I can see the complexity in that. Cause I mean, you're totally right. You open up the character sheet and there's nothing there that tells you how much you need. If someone tells you "just get miss chance to 0%", that still doesn't tell you what you need. It's a lot easier to tell someone "Hit and Exp to 2550 each for melee, 5100 Hit for Casters" etc etc. But even then, that's second-hand information.

Edit: Also because the various hit/exp caps have changed over the expansions. Enh Shaman and Ass Rogues used to need to cap spell hit, for example. The actual caps themselves used to be different (8% for melee hit and... 17% for spell hit I think?). Expertise used to not be a %, it was just a number displayed on the character sheet (iirc it capped at "26").

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular

Relogging.
    Rebooting.
    Repair tool.
    Upgrade wine.
    Upgrade video drivers.
    Test ram.

I imagine this won't help, honestly, but: Downgrade back to what you had before if you can. If it wasn't suddenly a problem with your software and was hardware, maybe the new versions don't work. You know they did before. I have no experience with your setup at all, though, sorry, so nothing else pops to mind.

I thought about trying to downgrade but I'm getting exactly the same error as before so I don't think anything broke with the upgrades. And honestly, as shit as unity is I'm looking at switching to mint anyway. I guess my next bullet point will be installing mint. I'm not too hopeful of that fixing things so I'm also looking at buying a new video card.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Bad: @aegis couldn't raid and our Disc had to leave early
    Good: Our Warlock got the last two pieces he needed, to catch up on gear and our new H-Pal got quite a few drops.

We're going to finish off Normals tonight.

He still needs the trinket off Garrosh.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I imagine they'll bring reforging back after a patch or two. I just don't have faith in their ability to balance the new stats across all specs, given that they didn't/couldn't with only the ones they have now.

I want to send hate mail to whoever decided that the resto shaman tier gear needed mastery on nearly all the pieces.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Relogging.
    Rebooting.
    Repair tool.
    Upgrade wine.
    Upgrade video drivers.
    Test ram.

Backup all your addons then delete them. Some persistent variable in there could be hanging on to something

steam_sig.png
    Rad, we one-shot our first post-progression kill of Heroic Thok. Meant we basically had the whole night to work on Heroic Paragons. Got decently far into it. We can consistently get to Xaril, now. There was one time we killed him and got to Kaztik, but it was already a wipe at that point anyway. And after Kaztik, it's just the last 3. Not as bad as I initially thought it would be. Korven SUCKS to tank, no surprise there. He hits like a fucking truck. But otherwise, it seems fine. Everyone's getting used to the fight, we just need to minimize stupid deaths to the stundash and amber puddles. We're so goddamn close and I really think we have a shot of getting it Monday.

DNiDlnb.png
  • rorrrorr Registered User regular
    Oh two more things.

What's the soft cap on Mastery for an enhancement shaman? I have 5957 rating with ilevel 500 and feel like maybe it's too much. <_<

Also I've grown extremely fond of Stone Bulwark Totem in a freakish way. Though I still have some hangups about it.

I'm curious, why would you think your mastery rating as enhance is too high? P.S. I'm at 21k mastery

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I get asked to sub in for a DPS on H Galakras, and we get her down. I use a coin because, hey, why not?

Whee Heroic Warforged Evil Eye of Galakras.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I had this big post written out but it didn't publish. Basically the 7.5% number was used because when they combined "accuracy" numbers, they split the 15% evenly between hit and exp to make exp more valuable for everyone. I was actually thinking it'd be 'interesting' to have everyone be able to have 100% accuracy at-level, but need an incremental amount of accuracy for more difficult encounters (i.e. raid bosses; or even above a certain rating in pvp). It's not quite that way now. I know there is some baseline hit, but I do not recall it being enough or at-level accuracy without gear pushing it over the cap.

I've given suggestions for other stuff to be added to the BMAH. It's a needed feature in the game. Say what you will, but it's the only way to get Naxx40 gear, the Wrath Naxx mount, and -- essentially -- Mimiron's Head.

Some examples I want to see: old ZA bears, pieces to Atiesh/Ulduar Mace/Shadowmourne/Fangs, Alani shards, TCG vanity gear (fishing chair, etc), possibly CM mounts after WoD drops.

This discussion has been closed.