As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros Brawl! "...the two of them get along great! ...I think.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    So, it needs to be said again for maximum clarity:

The franchise list is organized SSB -> SSB:M -> SSB:B. ??? between Fire Emblem and Ice Climbers = Game & Watch is back! Fuck the haters.
    Are there any other franchises unaccounted for?

Daedalus on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That problem of "sakurai is nuts" has been presented to me before. However, it is my plan that accounts for him being nuts. The problem seems to imply that he actually has a plan or pattern. Clearly this is ridiculous.

Anyways - I see that this really isn't the way to do things, so allow me to update my theory for internet consumption:

Hello all I am a mole at Nintendo! They're not posting old characters which were unlockable. What? You lack belief? Well, then I shall give you information about the coming weeks: They're not going to post an old character which was unlockable in Melee. This information is twice as good as other information because it is also able to predict past updates!

There. Now my theory is invincible.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    YES.

Fuck yes.

ICE CLIMBERS!!!

shyguy on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, the only way we'll know who's unlockable and who's not is if he posts an update with the starting selection screen with nothing unlocked. Which would be a pretty fucking cool update.

Until then, none of us can say for sure.

That said, I'd wager Luigi and Jiggly are unlockable, since it's damn near tradition by now.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [baseless speculation]

Guys, the game ONLY has 20 characters in it. We know them all already.

Look here

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/index.html

One space left, and it's saved for Snake.

Less characters than Melee=tragic.

[/baseless speculation]

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As far as clones go, I hope that they bring the viruses from Dr. Mario in as playable since he's on the way out. You could play as them all stacked up like a totem pole. Their down B would have them rotate. Their B and tilt B would make them do some kind of attack for each different color. Their up B I haven't really figured out. But I think that it'd be cool to give them a grapple by having the bottom one sling the top two out like a whip. With Ice Climbers, Zelda/Sheik, and Pokemon Trainer I think the viruses would fit right in.

Toothy on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Please don't cut Falco Sakurai. Please?

PS: Ice Climbers? Fucking awesome!

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    I just had a thought. Haven't seen anyone mention this one, amazingly:

NEWCOMER
    ELITE BEAT AGENTS

Oh god that'd be awesome

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It was mentioned in one of the last threads. It was decided they'd be better as an assist that cheers you on, freezing your opponents for awhile or something to that effect.

Toothy on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [baseless speculation]

Look here

[/baseless speculation]

Are you kidding, or do you really think that could mean there are only 20?

Because, it's not like there were actually empty spaces there when the site started updating. When there was only one row of newcomers, that didn't mean there were only four.

mntorankusu on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [baseless speculation]

Look here

[/baseless speculation]

Are you kidding, or do you really think that could mean there are only 20?

Because, it's not like there were actually empty spaces there when the site started updating. When there was only one row of newcomers, that didn't mean there were only four.

Am I ever serious?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Toothy wrote: »
    It was mentioned in one of the last threads. It was decided they'd be better as an assist that cheers you on, freezing your opponents for awhile or something to that effect.

How about making their circles really small for a second?

...wait.

mntorankusu on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ssbbseriesrq5.png

Updated the series chart.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So. What happened to everyone being SO sure that Ice Climbers were cut? Shows what you know: dick.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [baseless speculation]

Look here

[/baseless speculation]

There's 19 shown, but still 2 series which characters are not yet revealed from. So at least 21.

Edit: no, 22, since the logo for F-Zero, but no reveal yet of Captain Falcon.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    ssbbseriesrq5.png

I still don't get why people are assuming there's only 2 more series left. Or is this just supposed to be an all encompassing list of whats in, all the way from playable characters down to assist trophies and items?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ssbbseriesrq5.png

I think you put them in the wrong place; they're #14, aren't they?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    [baseless speculation]

Look here

[/baseless speculation]

There's 19 shown, but still 2 series which characters are not yet revealed from. So at least 21.

Remember that one of the two series is Metal Gear, so It's actually just one.

Peewi on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [baseless speculation]

Look here

[/baseless speculation]

Which would add a new row. I don't think XoB was being serious about that. But I imagine that if I were to head on over to Smashboards someone would be crying their eyes out over it.

Khavall on
    edited September 2007
    And also remember that there could be more then 18 series represented.

Pata on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I keep trying to figure out why people keep saying this was a disappointing week.

Mon: New Pokemon that EATS ITEMS
    Tue: New Assist Trophy that CUTS PEOPLE WHILE YOU HOLD THEM
    Wed: (Technically) New level, with a GIANT LASER GUN
    Thu: New Play mode, like special melee, but possibly better
    Fri: Confirmation of returning character that some people thought would be taken away. Model looks much better than Melee

I mean, sure, no megaton announcements, but I suppose it's a testament to the quality of the updates to say that the above list is 'disappointing'.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited September 2007

Right, with G+W and Snake, that'll bring us up to 18, so to add Mega Man and Sonic there will need to be at least 20 series represented.

Khavall on
  • Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Edit: Just because most tournament people hated Ice Climbers and Game and Watch doesn't mean a majority of people did.

[citation needed]

Seriously, Ice Climbers are one of the higher characters in the tier list. O_o Apparently experts can do amazing things with them by de-syncing 'em.

As for the Ice Climbers, nice to see they're returning. They were pretty crazy to play as, and there's nothing quite like beating up the defenseless secondary climber when the main one is distracted.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So uh... if you just updated that image with the Ice Climbers icon... why are Ness's and Capt. Falcon's up? They haven't been confirmed. And for all anybody knows, it's them that are cut.

You say that image is not to be baseless speculation, but it inherently is, with its two random boxes as if to say "there's only two series left!". I just don't get it is all.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay Ice Climbers! Though I feel kind of bad for Kirby in the one photo, poor guy is getting the business end of some fucking spiked boots.

Anyway, this has been a good week.

You know what I suddenly want as one of the Pokeball Pokemon, really, really bad?

Drifloon.png

Make it so, Sakurai!

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought they weren't bringing back Popo and Nana.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2007

You thought wrong.

So wrong.

Pata on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

You thought wrong.

So wrong.

And I stand corrected.

Now to bring back Mr. Game and Watch.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2007
    So uh... if you just updated that image with the Ice Climbers icon... why are Ness's and Capt. Falcon's up? They haven't been confirmed. And for all anybody knows, it's them that are cut.

You say that image is not to be baseless speculation, but it inherently is, with its two random boxes as if to say "there's only two series left!". I just don't get it is all.

The images HAVE been confirmed. Samurai Goro's trophy and the Franklin Badge showed world symbols for F-Zero and Earthbound, hence we're getting a character from them. By contrast, The Devil and Dr. Wright's trophies had the Smash symbol, which means we're not getting a playable character from them.

Also, no one is saying "only two series left." We KNOW they could always add more.

cloudeagle on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The logo's have been used when items from those two universes have appeared. Everything else which has used an item has had a character (except the smash brothers icon).

Although perhaps the smash brothers icon might mean we'll get a playable character invented specifically for this game? One of the subspace army?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2007

Also, no one is saying "only two series left." We KNOW they could always add more.

Like they will when they add Sonic and Mega Man.

Khavall on
  • FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The logo's have been used when items from those two universes have appeared. Everything else which has used an item has had a character (except the smash brothers icon).

And the Animal crossing logo. Anything with a stage at least has it's own icon, but I can't imagine them cutting any of the original smash characters out, so I'd say CF and Ness (or Lucas) are pretty safe bets.

Fishguy on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

Right, with G+W and Snake, that'll bring us up to 18, so to add Mega Man and Sonic there will need to be at least 20 series represented.
    A) Assuming Mega Man and Sonic are even the two. This is Sakurai. The two could wind up as Aiai and the Battletoads for all we know.
    B) Even removing Game and Watch, we know there's Snake and we're pretty sure we're GETTING two other third parties (presumably from three different franchises), so that makes 19 and still a new row.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited September 2007
    Fishguy wrote: »

And the Animal crossing logo. Anything with a stage at least has it's own icon, but I can't imagine them cutting any of the original smash characters out, so I'd say CF and Ness (or Lucas) are pretty safe bets.

Bah, that just means an Animal Crossing character is confirmed. As a bonus, it doesn't affect any of the limits on third party characters.

Nickle on
    edited September 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

A) Assuming Mega Man and Sonic are even the two. This is Sakurai. The two could wind up as Aiai and the Battletoads for all we know.
    B) Even removing Game and Watch, we know there's Snake and we're pretty sure we're GETTING two other third parties (presumably from three different franchises), so that makes 19 and still a new row.

Right, but we're going to be getting Sonic and Mega Man.

LALALALALALALALALALA

Khavall on
    edited September 2007
    My memory is always fuzzy, but did they have stages in the previous games that were based on a game series, but had no character representing them? Final Destination and some of the other levels are strictly smash, but all of the themed levels had a character they went with, IIRC.

Which would all but confirm an AC character, basically.

e: Unless, of course, the 'AC Character' is a Mii, along with the announcement that the next AC will use your Miis, and the subsequent announcement of expanded Mii editing. Also, a storage solution, and the association of your Mii to your online identity, negating the need for friend codes.

A man can dream.

Nickle on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    My memory is always fuzzy, but did they have stages in the previous games that were based on a game series, but had no character representing them? Final Destination and some of the other levels are strictly smash, but all of the themed levels had a character they went with, IIRC.

Which would all but confirm an AC character, basically.
    Not that I can recall. But like I said... er...

NEWCOMER
    TOM NOOK

You know what his stage music will be?
    'Hell's Bells'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited September 2007
    NEWCOMER
    MII!

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2007
    I'd be a little surprised if they didn't have a playable Mii, frankly.

cloudeagle on
    edited September 2007
    I'd be a little surprised if they didn't have a playable Mii, frankly.
    I don't even know what the icon for that would be. A vertical line glowing blue?

Gosling on