As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    rorr wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh two more things.

What's the soft cap on Mastery for an enhancement shaman? I have 5957 rating with ilevel 500 and feel like maybe it's too much. <_<

Also I've grown extremely fond of Stone Bulwark Totem in a freakish way. Though I still have some hangups about it.

I'm curious, why would you think your mastery rating as enhance is too high? P.S. I'm at 21k mastery

Pretty much this. Our Mastery is essentially +dmg so there's no problem in keeping it high. Back when we were raiding ToT, many Enh ran haste heavy; but that was mostly due to the PPM trinkets. Since the 5.4 patch, Blizz fixed the reliance on Haste, so it's back to Mastery = Haste > Crit. In many fights where there are multiple targets, Mastery starts to win out.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Challenge Modes; at least any rewards associated with them, will be going away with the 6.0 patch:
    Countless adventurers continue to brave the most trying versions of Mists of Pandaria dungeons, but the clock is ticking. This “season” of Challenge Modes will be coming to an end with the upcoming release of a patch prior to the expansion’s release.

Challenge Modes are designed to offer as close to a “normalized” difficulty as possible, and they’re tuned to be tough to master. With Warlords of Draenor’s class changes, itemization changes (e.g. the removal of Hit and Expertise), and—of course—increased level cap on the horizon, the difficulty of Mists of Pandaria’s dungeons will no longer be tuned the same as they were. In the spirit of fair play, when the aforementioned patch is released a little while before the new expansion launches, the current slate of Challenge Mode dungeons will no longer be available, and the achievements they award will be converted to Feats of Strength. The reward items will still be available for purchase by those who qualified prior to the end of the season, but it will not be possible for new players to earn those rewards going forward.

If you still need to earn your Undaunted title, Ancestral Phoenix, or class-specific Transmogrification sets, now’s the time to get out there and prove your worth. In Warlords of Draenor, an entirely new set of Challenge Modes will be available . . . and with them an array of new rewards for you to earn. Until then, stay sharp!

So yeah, lets get a realid group going!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Goddamnit. I'll need to actually finish levelling my dudes to 90 then.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Well shoot, I had hoped they wouldn't be retiring the old challenge mode rewards. We've got quite a while before 6.0 drops, considering 5.4.5.3.2.X.llama is still getting new builds on the PTR, but still. I really dislike this 'removing things from the game forever to preserve accomplishments for a few' garbage.

I understand the point though, the patch is going to massively rebalance how shit works, and they aren't putting any work into rebalancing challenge modes, so if they didn't lock them, then people would be able to jet through them for what was supposed to be a relatively limited reward.

And you can't really say "for a few" since challenge modes scale you down and have been available for the whole expac. Everyone has had a chance to do them.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I know but very few statistically have completed them. And good on those people, that's fine, but to remove those rewards is silly. If it's an issue of balancing the old dungeons with the new model, simply offer the new rewards as an option for whatever Challenge Modes become in WoD. They've already said they're putting in whole new sets; taking out the old ones (presumably) forever is just nonsense.

The fact that few people have is irrelevant. If more people wanted to complete (and, I suppose, they were capable), they would have.

The only people who can legitimately be angered here are people who missed the entire expansion and wanted the set, but since the rewards are exclusively cosmetic, I don't see the issue.

Do you complain about Server First titles as well? If you do, then okay, I understand your point, but I don't really give it much weight.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh two more things.

What's the soft cap on Mastery for an enhancement shaman? I have 5957 rating with ilevel 500 and feel like maybe it's too much. <_<

Also I've grown extremely fond of Stone Bulwark Totem in a freakish way. Though I still have some hangups about it.

I'm curious, why would you think your mastery rating as enhance is too high? P.S. I'm at 21k mastery

Because I don't understand the full extent of the number sin the game and where they're supposed to go.

Delmain wrote: »
    The fact that few people have is irrelevant. If more people wanted to complete (and, I suppose, they were capable), they would have.

The only people who can legitimately be angered here are people who missed the entire expansion and wanted the set, but since the rewards are exclusively cosmetic, I don't see the issue.

Do you complain about Server First titles as well? If you do, then okay, I understand your point, but I don't really give it much weight.

It's not quite as simple as "wish it and it gets done". My server was and has been a ghost town, at least up until the connected realms point which admittedly I have not seen since I stopped my sub a few months ago. But throughout the expansion, the few people active people left in my guild had little to no interest in challenge modes. So my only options for Challenge Modes were pugs (which was not at option because of the aforementioned wasteland that was my server) or paying a group on other servers between 100 and 300k to "carry" me, which I had no interest in doing.

And no, there's never any logical reason to remove any content, ever. If you disagree on that then we'll simply have to agree to disagree, because I have never and will never see the logic in removing content, cosmetic or otherwise. As for server firsts, they haven't removed them, there are server firsts every expansion. So that's not really the same thing. A more apt comparison would be the Arena champion rewards, and yes, I do think it's silly that those are removed. Nothing is gained by reducing reward options, you're just removing more content that people could otherwise obtain.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh two more things.

Because I don't understand the full extent of the number sin the game and where they're supposed to go.

Mastery, generally, doesn't cap. Haste has breakpoints and crit has an effective cap, but mastery can keep on going on.

• tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

I want to. I'm capable. I haven't been able to.

It is sometimes just not possible to do stuff that depends on other people because the other people don't want to do what you want to do when you want to do it.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    How long have you been able to cross-realm challenge modes?

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Can you even do cross-realm challenge modes? A friend of mine transferred her monk over to another realm to run them with another guild, and that was only.. two months ago? I'm not really interested in any of the cosmetic stuff, it all looks horrible except for classes that I don't have maxed anyways.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's been a thing for quite a while now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there are lots of groups for them on openraid, if you wanna go that route

I'll have to get around to finishing them up, I guess. I at least wanna get silvers for that mount.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    How long have you been able to cross-realm challenge modes?
    Day 1 of mop

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sounds like Challenge Modes; at least any rewards associated with them, will be going away with the 6.0 patch:
    Countless adventurers continue to brave the most trying versions of Mists of Pandaria dungeons, but the clock is ticking. This “season” of Challenge Modes will be coming to an end with the upcoming release of a patch prior to the expansion’s release.

Challenge Modes are designed to offer as close to a “normalized” difficulty as possible, and they’re tuned to be tough to master. With Warlords of Draenor’s class changes, itemization changes (e.g. the removal of Hit and Expertise), and—of course—increased level cap on the horizon, the difficulty of Mists of Pandaria’s dungeons will no longer be tuned the same as they were. In the spirit of fair play, when the aforementioned patch is released a little while before the new expansion launches, the current slate of Challenge Mode dungeons will no longer be available, and the achievements they award will be converted to Feats of Strength. The reward items will still be available for purchase by those who qualified prior to the end of the season, but it will not be possible for new players to earn those rewards going forward.

If you still need to earn your Undaunted title, Ancestral Phoenix, or class-specific Transmogrification sets, now’s the time to get out there and prove your worth. In Warlords of Draenor, an entirely new set of Challenge Modes will be available . . . and with them an array of new rewards for you to earn. Until then, stay sharp!

I would totally be down for it
    But... I really would rather do it on my warlock for the transmog stuff since I think it's not open for all classes when you do it on one class

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sounds like Challenge Mixes; at least any rewards associated with them, will be going away with the 6.0 patch:

But... I really would rather do it on my warlock for the transmog stuff since I think it's not open for all classes when you do it on one class

Yes it's only fit the character you do it on. You are in luck though as warlocks are literally the best dps class you can have in there. The portal alone saves you a ton of time in a few.

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just noticed a Blizzard dev said that, come WoD, we'll see more of talents doing different things based on your spec. Like most druid talents do right now. I wonder where that'll lead.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    You can see some examples with the Blizzcon version of the WoD talents: http://www.wowhead.com/talent-wod. Everyone but DKs and Rogues have at least one level 100 talent that changes by spec.

Opty on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I just noticed a Blizzard dev said that, come WoD, we'll see more of talents doing different things based on your spec. Like most druid talents do right now. I wonder where that'll lead.

will really help classes like shamans where the row had to fit a melee, caster and healer all at once

815165 wrote: »

will really help classes like shamans where the row had to fit a melee, caster and healer all at once

I still think the MoP talent system falls apart when it's applied to shaman. It's fucked up because shaman have very little to help them be true hybrids, and then druids get all sorts of shit to help them hybrid in their various forms.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    well, they really only get heart of the wild

the top two tiers for shaman are just badly designed imo. Stuff like elemental blast or the unleash mechanics should just be baseline, since one is always optimal for DPS and the other gets ignored. Plus they're both useless for resto.

penultimate tier is better now than it was, but it's still silly that conductivity and rushing streams are basically resto-exclusive

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    well, they really only get heart of the wild

Hey now, Nature's Vigil's pretty fucking awesome. If you're a Boomkin anyway, I have no idea what Trees do. They're all leafy and stuff, it's just not right.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Every time I use Nature's Vigil I go "Whoo, I'm helping the raid with healing just like a shaman's guidance!" then I remember that I use it as a DPS cooldown and the majority of the healing isn't needed.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    shamans in general still feel like the most clunky class, especially enhancement

• BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Most hybrid talent trees already have alot of talents describing 2-3 completely different skills. I just see the change as blizzard now having the tech to sort out the stuff that isn't relevant for your current spec.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sounds like Challenge Mixes; at least any rewards associated with them, will be going away with the 6.0 patch:

Yes it's only fit the character you do it on. You are in luck though as warlocks are literally the best dps class you can have in there. The portal alone saves you a ton of time in a few.

Is an undead horde warlock
    So I highly doubt since most you play alliance I will be able to go

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Someone reported my hunter's monkey pet name "Scopes." I'm not really sorry I offended that sort of person, but really?

I'd like to get in on the Real ID challenge modes as a Horde DPS/tank paladin.

Samphis on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    shamans in general still feel like the most clunky class, especially enhancement

Enhance could benefit from some sort of haste-reduces-cooldowns mechanic like Paladins have. Either that, or just shorter cooldowns. There's too much downtime between Stormstrike and Lavalash, feels like.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I still say the secondary stats make no sense at all. If you call something Hit % then I instinctively want it as high as possible. Same thing with Crit and Haste...having dead zones where you have too much (or too little) of those stats...ugh. Especially with no reforging.

edited February 2014
    Well, it'll be less of an issue after the stat squish because they're getting rid of hit entirely, removing haste breakpoints, and based on how I understand it crit cap only really affects dual wielders.

reVerse on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Well Hit% makes sense as something that'd cap out at 100% (you can't hit more reliably than 100% of the time). The way the game presents hit as a percent against equal level, so your hit percent raises above 100% for +3 level bosses since the percent is for how you do against equal leveled enemies. This adds a level of confusion to the average person since without knowing to look at the tooltip to get the right value for +3 bosses, the final percent value seems arbitrary.

Now for every other stat, everything is completely arbitrary and either determined by an arbitrary number picked by Blizz (expertise) or a number that is mathematically optimal that you need theorycraft to calculate. The latter stats all require someone leaving the game to find soft caps and stat priorities. The only way Blizz can fix this is to basically make every secondary stat provide a fractional amount of your primary stat so even if you have too much haste you're still getting some benefit from it.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    Someone reported my hunter's monkey pet name "Scopes." I'm not really sorry I offended that sort of person, but really?

Another great name bites the dust

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Ele Shaman are fine right now, if a bit boring to play. Enh is the one that's clunky as all fuck. Especially their AoE, it's so dumb. You need to flame shock, spread it with lash and then fire nova, and they all have different cooldowns. It's stupid, and this is coming from a Fire Mage whose AoE involves casting Flamestrike and crying.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »

I'd like to get in on the Real ID challenge modes as a Horde DPS/tank paladin.

I can tank/dps DK, tank/dps warrior, Warlock or I suppose if it's really needed I could heal/dps shaman but that'd be my last choice. I also have a rogue but I think the rogue set looks super bland and have no interest in it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Sooo...

Found a thread on the tech support forum about my problem. Looks like there was a stealth patch or hotfix or something Monday night that broke the 64 bit client for people using linux. I can at least log on with the 32 bit client but the graphics are so messed up I can't really play.

Bad news is that the last time I remember something adversely affecting linux users it wasn't fixed for about four months.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    Haha, Linux using gamer.

Are you also an unicorn?

reVerse wrote: »
    Haha, Linux using gamer.

Are you also an unicorn?

No, but I do ride one to work.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I still say the secondary stats make no sense at all. If you call something Hit % then I instinctively want it as high as possible. Same thing with Crit and Haste...having dead zones where you have too much (or too little) of those stats...ugh. Especially with no reforging.

As pointed out, getting rid of hit and expertise and breakpoints will help here. Furthermore, we're in theory going to get 2-3 more secondary stats that won't be easily capped, so that should make it less likely for people to gather enough of one of the remaining stats to hit any of the remaining stat caps.

One of the advantages of getting the stats closer together, in terms of values, is that fosters a need to grab some of each. The theorycrafters in the ret community were finding that once you get more of the bestest stat for the spec (will call it X for now) than the other secondaries, you can hit a point where the lesser valued stats jump in value. If they happened to be close to X, it was possible for them to pull ahead in value, until one no longer had their highest secondary being X, at which point X would pull ahead. This was a fairly difficult thing to game; especially, during times when two or all of the no-easy-to-cap stats were close in value. Generally, most said it wasn't really worth, partly because tier pieces, hit cap and expertise cap kind of forced people to get some of their least desired secondary.

So it should be interesting to see how the stat changes affect some of the theorycrafting with gear. I don't know if the changes will lead to more choices when it comes to gear slots (maybe instead of two different belts per tier, we might have three or four). Obviously, tier pieces will probably still force people to pick up some of each stat, unless their spec gets shitty bonuses that tier. Given that multistrike, amplify and readiness get the same sort of synergy that crit, haste and mastery have with one another, I wouldn't be surprised to see theorycrafters come up with a cap for the gap between highest and lowest stats (aka highest preferred stat shouldn't be X% greater than lowest preferred stat). This assumes that they get secondaries in a spot where none of them are absolute shit for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.