As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PA Site: Noticed a couple of bugs

Here are a few bugs/improvements I discovered when playing around with the new site. I'm not sure if this Forum is exclusively for forum bugs, but it seemed close enough!

1) Index page: Quickly scrubbing the mouse back and forth over the pseudo-accordion thumbnails of the 4 comics causes the one that's current in focus to expand indefinitely.

2) Header: If you quickly click a link or button that opens an overlay multiple times, multiple instances of the overlays appear all stacked on top of one another. For example, the "account info" overlay is an AJAX call to /clubpa/account. It's quite likely that (as happened to me) there will be a bit of a request/response delay loading that overlay. Users could repeatedly click the link since it appeared to fail, resulting in the bug.

3) Comic page: Not sure if this was intentional, but the top and bottom "Random Comic" buttons go to different comics. Maybe that's how the old site worked? But, assuming ORDER BY RAND(), that's two DB queries that require an filesort instead of one. Could be slowing things down.

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    torgie wrote: »
    But, assuming ORDER BY RAND()

8U2RSQf.jpg

• KethennKethenn Registered User staff
    torgie wrote: »
    Here are a few bugs/improvements I discovered
    1) feature
    2) mm will address this after i sleep
    3) old site didn't have a random comic feature, but i assure you it is more efficiently implemented than an order by rand(). which i did not know was a thing, but sounds fantastically tedious.

• torgietorgie Registered User regular
    1) neat!
    2) ok!
    3) Always assume the worst ;)

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So, I just got the exact same sequence of random comics twice. 6 clicks on the random button.

Either the function that picks the random comics is glitched or I just used up my "you won the lottery" beat-the-odds moment on something incredibly, incredibly lame.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    The crude digital representation of chaos only offers the illusion of randomness.

• jensengliderjensenglider Registered User new member
    Hopefully this is the new place to be for site bugs?

Regarding #2 above, I just now experienced a delay when trying to view the account info overlay, so I clicked repeatedly... Then I saw the account info flash up for a half second and go away, never to return (until page reload when I clicked one more time and waited patiently until it popped up).

A few things I've noticed:
    1a) Weird behavior at http://penny-arcade.com/clubpa: If I load the page with my zoom set to 100%, the big blue $10 and $30 bubbles block the top few comparison items (most notably, the two items that are unique to the $30 tier). Scrolling does not move them. If I zoom out to 90% or less, the bubbles don't move, still blocking the top few items. If I reload the page (with zoom now defaulting to 90% or less), the bubbles move themselves to be above the two lists. I can then zoom back in to 100% and the bubbles stay put, and now if I scroll up and down the bubbles move with me (but still dock above the list when scrolled all the way up). I tried changing browsers but found the same behavior on Chrome and Firefox.

2a) The music note with lyrics after Tycho's post turns a neat green color when hovered over/clicked, but no longer gives info about artist or song. Bug, or new Google Challenge feature?

3a) Will there be a new podcast/RSS feed for ClubPA that will include PA Staff episodes? Or will it be the same feed from the Kickstarter?

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Hopefully this is the new place to be for site bugs?

Regarding #2 above, I just now experienced a delay when trying to view the account info overlay, so I clicked repeatedly... Then I saw the account info flash up for a half second and go away, never to return (until page reload when I clicked one more time and waited patiently until it popped up).

A few things I've noticed:
    1a) Weird behavior at http://penny-arcade.com/clubpa: If I load the page with my zoom set to 100%, the big blue $10 and $30 bubbles block the top few comparison items (most notably, the two items that are unique to the $30 tier). Scrolling does not move them. If I zoom out to 90% or less, the bubbles don't move, still blocking the top few items. If I reload the page (with zoom now defaulting to 90% or less), the bubbles move themselves to be above the two lists. I can then zoom back in to 100% and the bubbles stay put, and now if I scroll up and down the bubbles move with me (but still dock above the list when scrolled all the way up). I tried changing browsers but found the same behavior on Chrome and Firefox.

2a) The music note with lyrics after Tycho's post turns a neat green color when hovered over/clicked, but no longer gives info about artist or song. Bug, or new Google Challenge feature?

3a) Will there be a new podcast/RSS feed for ClubPA that will include PA Staff episodes? Or will it be the same feed from the Kickstarter?

For 2a: I see them fine on Windows 7, Chrome 32

• kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    When scrolling back through PA comics you can get to Bibliophobe (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/12/30), but going further back takes you to http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/12/27, but actually displays the latest strip, Viral. Anything around the end of the year seems to have some weirdness going on with the back and forward buttons. It seems you can't go "back" at all, and can go forward.

• billwertbillwert Registered User regular
    I also noticed this morning that the last several episodes of S2 are gone from the Kickstarter subscriber feed. (Which is amusing because their absence made my podcatcher delete them from my phone..) Ep26 is the last one in the feed.

• billwertbillwert Registered User regular
    Also: It seems that staying signed in from the homepage is iffy. I don't have a solid repro, but I've had to sign in about 6 times in browsing the site.

• dylldyll Registered User regular
    Also, to go along with billwerts comments: Gabe says that the new episode should be up for members, but I see nothing. I tried manually changing the URL to season 3 and that didn't help.

• schattyschatty Registered User regular
    I've also had some problems staying logged in to clubpa. I logged in on the main page, then when i clicked the patv link I had to login again, then when clicking on season 4 I had to login again.

• dylldyll Registered User regular
    Another thing, I can't login with my email address, only my username. If I use my email address, I get the error: "No account with that username could be found."

• jensengliderjensenglider Registered User new member
    Delmain wrote: »

For 2a: I see them fine on Windows 7, Chrome 32

Tried hovering again this morning and the track and artist info is now showing up for me too.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tossing in another "I can't stay logged in" report. Seems like any link I click on will log me out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KethennKethenn Registered User staff
    some updates for you fine folk:

* i accidentally clobbered the dlc page when we launched. all of that should be up to date at this point. i was also slow in putting up s03e01 of dlc, but that should be available to club pa members as of a couple hours ago.
    * there is a known issue where attempting to log in via email does not work. it's on my short list for fixes, but for now, use your username. sorry for the inconvenience :/
    * i'm also looking into the constant signout issue. please make sure you have cookies enabled - i'm sure you do, but it is one thing that would keep you from maintaining your session.

thanks everyone for your patience and bug reports!

• EggerslololEggerslolol Registered User regular
    I was going through hi res versions of the Tithe to make me some sweet ass wallpapers and it seems that 1-4 are very hi res, then 5-9 are a much lower res, then 10 is hi res again. Is this intentional? Seems a bit weird.

• bolan1bolan1 Registered User new member
    On the PA: The Series site, the links to download the full video files for deleted scenes sample from season 1 along with episode 31 and deleted scenes from season 2 don't appear to work - they either direct you to a 404 page, or redirect you back to the same page.

Also, are there any plans to make the entire comic collection available for download for Club PA members? I'd love to have a local copy so that I can use them as a rotating wall paper on my desktop.

• RitesRites Registered User new member
    Got the same problem with not staying logged in and my clubpa status is listed as not enrolled.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Not sure if its related to the new site/Club PA, but the past 5 minutes I've had to log back into the forums 3-4 times.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Good news though, Vanilla is installed!

(I've been getting random sites to redirect to some dashboard URL? and all that's on the page is telling me how Vanilla is totally working and such. It also happened in a pop-up in the corner of the screen where the "Draft saved" thing was supposed to be.)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    In the last twenty minutes or so I've been autoredirected to this five or six times:
    VBR4PtT.png

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yep, getting the redirect, too. Using Chrome if that makes a difference.

• thebaronrolfevonstuppethebaronrolfevonstuppe Registered User new member
    I like the icon/link on the comic page to take you to the associated news posting. On the old site there was a similar icon/link on the news page for the associated comic. Any chance that can be brought back?

• RitesRites Registered User new member
    I noticed I stayed logged in using Firefox. On Internet Explorer 11 it logs me out the moment I visit a different page on the site. Have tried resetting all settings, deleting cookies and all that.

• GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Most pages reload on me after they've already loaded. I am logged in, I'm in Club PA, on Chrome (32.0.1700.107), on OS X (10.9.1).

Visit front page->load->wait a second->whole page blanks and reloads->no more reloading.
    After that navigate to Podcast page->loads->wait a second->whole page blanks and reloads->no more reloading.

Doesn't happen on the Comic page but does in a lot of other places I navigate to.

Also the Staff podcast doesn't seem to show up in the RSS feed. The RSS feed link on the Staff Podcast page is the same as the regular podcast. Not sure if it's supposed to have its own or it should be included in the regular feed. Either way I currently can't get it through RSS.

GogoKodo on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hi guys, i'm having trouble accessing the main page. The forums work, but other places I try to go under penny-arcade.com don't load. Anyone else having issues, or is it on my end?

(Mac OS X 10.9, chrome and firefox)

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    edited February 2014
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm having trouble accessing the main page. The forums work, but other places I try to go under penny-arcade.com don't load. Anyone else having issues, or is it on my end?

(Mac OS X 10.9, chrome and firefox)

PA Mainsite and other properties are having network issues right now, but the correct people know about it and are working on it.

IcyLiquid on