As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
Are you using a shadow box? Did you cast a golden brain squirrel and he is holding your pins in his hands? Share how you are displaying your pins!

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I originally planned to frame all my pins on a yearly basis. But after some thought I decided not to, it would take way too much room and there isn't a whole lot of wall space in my room that isn't already taken by a shelf or window.

so I thought maybe just frame the first year and then buy the binders when they come out for the rest.

but now I am thinking to buy a binder per year, and have them all lined up beside each other would look nice and not take up alot of room.

I'll probably change my mind again soon... But that's my current plan. I would really like to see the binders, hope they are released for christmas

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I have nothing for display so far, but I'm thinking about buying a small shadow box for the PA staff pins (and any related limited editions that I think would look cool with them).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    T&C = 4
    2012 variants = 8
    Lookouts = 6
    DLC = 1
    Hanna = 1
    Staff, CTS, ZT = 14
    PAX Sets = 4 x 3sets
    Chandra, Chandra 2, Elspeth = 3
    StripSearch, Pigglesworth = 2
    Chainsawsuit, Skull = 2
    Behemoth8, HiddenPath2, NCSOFT2, Sony, Ubisoft = 14
    Halloween = 4
    15th = 1
    December set = 4
    Christmas set = 4-6??
    zerzhul wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    I'm looking for strips with the staff in for my Pin display, so far I have Khoo, Kiko and Mike Fehlauer. Any idea which to pick for the others?
    Jamie
    Erika

I'm not sure if anyone else from the staff has been in the comic.
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    So with the news that there are no official shadow boxes coming, I figured I should look into how I want to display the Pins as I go.

I just ordered the prints of The Tithe, because awesome. And that got me thinking, why not surround the Sets with the comics?

So I have the Lookouts comics, the Daughters comics, some Twisp and Catsby comics and I figured that I could grab some of my favourite strips for the other stuff.

Merch, Fruit Fucker, I hope you like Text.

Then I remembered that each PAX has it's own comic. So I went and found the links for them.

First was the Australia one, Fauna. Then the Prime one, which is so apt.

And then the East one (NSFW). Make A Strip Panel: Strip Search Challenge.

So, it turns out that this will be on the wall of my home office. Where I meet clients. Ah. Oh well.

Maybe the Tithe art will distract from the...implement.

With the 15th, I have the original print and the redrawn strip. Halloween, I don't know. Christmas, I haven't decided yet. Acquisitions Inc has a story, which I think would be cool to have.

PedroAsani on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Well I've acquired all the Prints I listed except for Merch and I hope you like Text. It was big enough to split into two separate orders ($99.90 each) so I get another two Merch Pins, and hopefully one of each Naughty/Nice print. If I end up with two of the same, does anyone want to trade?

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I use framed cork board. All the supplies can be purchased rather cheap at a local craft store (I shop at Michael's).

I start with some cheap frames, these ones here run about five dollars each. They are 10"x10", slightly smaller then your average cork square.
    1026131622a_zps0ebb2347.jpg

Next, the cork itself. It's often sold in packages of four squares, and each square is 12"x12".
    1026131621_zps0bb4effc.jpg

Cork is easy to paint, just pick whatever color you like and spray paint it. I chose gray just because it's a neutral color, but you can use any color spray paint that you want.
    1026131621a_zps738f4e9a.jpg

Since the frames that I bought are a little smaller then the cork squares, I need to cut them to size. By using the piece of cardboard included in the frame I trace my cutting lines.
    1026131625_zps2863bc17.jpg

Cork is a little difficult to cut, but a pair of quality scissors makes it manageable.
    1026131630_zpsdee0c1e8.jpg

Place the cork into the frame and secure the fasteners. With my setup you need to use a little jiffying to fit the backing into place over the cork since cork is a lot thicker then a sheet of photo paper.
    1026131634_zpsa71ffa01.jpg

You will need to use a little force to get your pins all the way into the board since the cork isn't as thick as a pin needle. I also use a clean dry rag over my thumb when pressing pins into place to prevent finger prints and oils from getting onto the pins. The pins will push the wood backing out a little, so I also use a magazine to protect my working surface too.
    1026131759_zps02de3c09.jpg

The end result.
    1110130904_zps22048d65.jpg

Yeah, I hate the yellow walls but my landlord won't let me paint them. As you can see though, this gives my plenty of room to expand my collection as new pins are added quite frequently.

And since framing my pins I found 12"x12" frames too. So you can buy a larger frame and skip the whole cork cutting step.
    1104131218_zps1a7d8fda.jpg

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    pins2013_zps095f78fa.png

Not the greatest image quality, taken with my phone. Just wanted to have a record of my collection from 2013. I have the Pinny Arcade poster, but haven't taken it out of the poster tube. Waiting until I get a larger shadow box to fit it. I'll try to get a better image using a better camera when I have the poster with all the pins attached to it.

Would love to see more of everyone else's collections up to this point!

Nice, how did you get that booth display sign?

Will post my collection when I get my Xmas pins

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The amazing Kristin Lindsay gave it to me. Looking forward to seeing your collection!

One thing I'm most interested in seeing is how everyone arranges their Pins. Aussie Ben's custom merch-colored shadowbox is one of my favorites. I also enjoy how some have surrounded the Lookouts Crest with the rest of the set and Hanna. It makes me wonder what other clever things can be done to show off various sets, and maybe instead of one large shadowbox, perhaps I should have several smaller displays as some people have done. Showcasing each type of set in its own shadowbox could look brilliant. As fantastic as the Pinny Arcade poster is, it would seem kind of boring if everyone used that as their layout. Then again...

His Pins look incredible on it, they really stand out with the different colored backgrounds. I hope they have another one next year for all the new Pins!

Konig Wolf on
  • mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've been keeping mine on my Enforcer shirt for now but plan to frame them when I move to a new apartment in February.

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
    2lus4qv.jpg

Not as fancy as other peoples displays, Just a simple cork board at the moment, but i wanted to show off my FULL 2013 collection along with their brain squirrel protector :)

Will probably use the binders/folders when they are released.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I threw this banner together for my 2012-2013 pins but miscounted the number of spaces I'd need so the AI set had to get squished onto the bottom -.-
    It hurts to look at the blank spots at the moment but I'll have a full set eventually!!

1528753_10152511583289008_1072920379_n.jpg

Hopefully the picture works, I'm still figuring out how to forum properly...

Duckie on
    Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My updated collection as of the end of 2013:

Getting there! (Thanks heaps to everyone who has traded with me so far!)

Aussie Ben on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally got some time to pull out the poster and lay my current collection over the top so I can try to work out what I want to do with it.

VegTyZ5.jpg
    (consider this a "before" pic)

Definitely going to have to cut it up. Probably paste the squares onto some cork-board and frame that. Maybe I can find some smaller and cheaper shadow display boxes, since I want to enclose them behind something to keep the dust off. Also it'd be nice if I can put my pax badge in there with it on display.

More research necessary!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Picked up a shadow box or two for some other things. Figure I will show you all what I got just to give display ideas and whatnot.

Tavis' Tenko King Kickstarter stuff.
    BfIBZbuIYAAzFRv.jpg:medium

30th Anniversary Epcot blind box set (and extra pin at the very bottom).
    BfMPdMNIEAAffwe.jpg:medium

I like the vertical set up. Right now I don't have enough PA pins (that aren't framed) to really get a frame for them right now. I want my framed things to be kind of themed or at least a finished box when I put them up.

Both of these frames are deep. The one I use for my only framed PA pin stuff is not deep at all (the pins are up against the glass). I feel like Michael's got rid of the thin pin box I have for my PA ones. Or at least they didn't have it when I went.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just doing some rough layouts in paint to workout sizes and stuff for what I have to frame:

RqpHe8L.jpg

Gonna cut the squares out and aim for sorting them into 2 or so display boxes.

Im so conflicted. I really want to display them all but there just isn't enough room to display more than one frame, more or less the size of the poster... Thats only one years worth, leaving nothing for anymore pins. Would like to see the binders, I think a shelf full of folders would look good too. And theyd go with anymore pin ultimate editions they might release. Hope they give more binder info soon

8fuuo_RK.png
    I think I'd just be using whatever display solution I come up with to show off my best pins (by whatever criteria I decide I guess), and maybe keeping the rest in binders.

Probably not going to need to show off every years iteration of the Valentines Day pin. ;)

• DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Since my other collecting bug is for 1st ed/1st print copies of books I really like the idea of binders but it feels so good to wake up and see my pins on the wall every morning and I know I wouldn't look at them half as much if they were put away on the shelf.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
    edited January 2014
    I got my pin box in the mail today:

B9bIn2v.jpg

As you can see I shelled out the extra $20 for the special edition (lid flaps).

I was worried it wouldn't fit all my pins but I even had some extra room left over to display my PAX badge:

6OhbQNz.jpg

Overall I would recommend it 5 out of 5 stars A ++ available at www.pinnyboxes.com will have a real update soon this is just a box.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Picked up a shadow box or two for some other things. Figure I will show you all what I got just to give display ideas and whatnot.

Tavis' Tenko King Kickstarter stuff.
    BfIBZbuIYAAzFRv.jpg:medium

30th Anniversary Epcot blind box set (and extra pin at the very bottom).
    BfMPdMNIEAAffwe.jpg:medium

I like the vertical set up. Right now I don't have enough PA pins (that aren't framed) to really get a frame for them right now. I want my framed things to be kind of themed or at least a finished box when I put them up.

Both of these frames are deep. The one I use for my only framed PA pin stuff is not deep at all (the pins are up against the glass). I feel like Michael's got rid of the thin pin box I have for my PA ones. Or at least they didn't have it when I went.

I would love to do shadow boxes. I'm going to look into it today.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red71\green71\blue71;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs22 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2bbxu.jpg}

I've got our first set framed. Our incomplete second set is to the right and tradables on the left.

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
    Just ordered a custom shadow box online. Once it turns up I'll decide whether to recommend them or not.

I just picked up a shadow box.
    I love peoples ideas, I plan to put up pictures.

My Pin collection
    Would love to see them when you're done.

I must have cut the rectangles out of the poster pretty well because when I stack them they're like a pack of cards.

TEU674b.jpg

Just clamping them to take some of the bend out.

1797457_567972592163_2135663750_n_zps5b83badc.jpg
    Just made my first shadow box. I need to fix it before I put it up. Just wanted a idea how it would look.
    I might take the cork out.

My Pin collection
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I know a lot of you here use the cork, but I find it ugly. I'd rather have a nice cloth/fabric that is typically black. Looking at cork makes me think the pins are just thrown on the sidewalk since that is what cork looks like to me. :-X

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I know a lot of you here use the cork, but I find it ugly. I'd rather have a nice cloth/fabric that is typically black. Looking at cork makes me think the pins are just thrown on the sidewalk since that is what cork looks like to me. :-X
    When I re do my shadow box I'm taking the cork out.
    I just down like it that much. The black makes it look so much better.

My Pin collection
  • VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    I used black foam core. The pins stay put it you leave them alone once inserted.

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I got my collection setup yesterday, i purchased a photo frame which is 90x60 so i had to trim the poster back a little bit, then i got a large sheet of foam core it wasn't quite 90x60 but it was large enough to cover the pin area and also had an adhesive side so i could just stick it on the back! all up Im pretty happy with it :D them gaps tho! :(

Lhq4ITh.jpg?1

Nefily on
    Just received my custom shadow box, but I want to buy some better cardboard backing for it before I put any pins in.

Update soon.

Ok, so I bought some 12x12mm square dowel and some 3mm MDF yesterday:

0XxXTdA.jpg5t3V9Ra.jpg

My plan is to raise the backing a bit so I can keep the original pin backings attached to the pins, without them sticking out the back of the box. I've also just decided that I'm going to replace the MDF with some thick cardboard. I could use the MDF but I'll have to pre-drill the pin holes and I've decided that's too much work.

A rough layout:

AHwRKu8.jpg

I also bought some black felt to cover whatever backing I end up using.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Here's what I did with mine. I took two cork boards, and cut up the poster to fit across them. One cork board has all the PAX pins and the other has all the "by mail and third party" pins. KI pins are separate since they have their own display. Between both boards and the KI book, that is every Year 1 pin. I'll be doing a separate Year 2 board. So far, it's just the V-Day pin.
    v8wT3rV.jpg?1

Got the first lot done:

Q9BTf1R.jpg

I think it looks ok.

Final thoughts: While I like the look of the backing colours from the poster I used, I could probably fit my entire collection into the case if I wasn't using them, so when it gets bigger I'll probably redo this without them. I also might replace the perspex with glass one day if I think it's worth it.

Happy with how the badge/ribbon came out.

I used the website of a framing shop in Sydney that lets you create a shadow box to your specifications. I'll link it if anyone's interested.

Looks really cool, can you link to that site?

8fuuo_RK.png
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, sure:

http://www.frameshop.com.au/shadow-box-creator.html

These are the sizes I entered for reference if you like that size (screenshot so I could recreate a matching one at some point):

NX4PhWu.png

I used frame 127F.

The one drawback to these ones is you don't have access via a door on the front (have to flip it over and undo 6 screws). Apparently you can't use non-reflective glass (I'm guessing because of the space between it and the pins). Also the "Non-scratch perspex!" they swapped it for had a small scratch in it, even through the protective plastic. And then I had to chase them down for the $1.60 difference from what I had paid (which they refunded straight away mind you, but I shouldn't have had to contact them first).

I'd just go for the standard glass.

If you're interested in how I did it (tl;dr: magic):

After I received the box I bought some square 12mmx12mm dowel and cut 3 lengths to fit into it:

0XxXTdA.jpg

I used some PVA to glue one to the back on the left and right sides. I left the middle one loose since I knew I'd probably want to move that one once I had the pins in.

Next I bought some thickish black cardboard. I managed to find a sheet of it at my local newsagent that was just a few centimetres over the size I needed. Also grabbed some spray adhesive while I was there.

SvovIfA.jpg

Once I had it cut to size I placed some tape over the points on the edge where I was going to drill through it for the screws. Then I placed it into the box resting on the dowel. I then drilled 3 small holes along the edges into the dowel (I ended up only needing the 4 in each corner). I found some spare tiny hard drive screws that were perfect for it.

Next it was off to my local craft shop to buy some black felt. I sprayed both the cardboard and felt with adhesive and stuck them together with some books on them for a bit. Trim it with a few millimetres overhang for a snug fit.

EJ7Q3Va.jpg

The hardest part was getting the poster squares on evenly. I ended up just using a glue stick on the back and making sure the edge/bottom ones where spaced some what equal, and then just eye-balled the rest pretty much.

SelYbnO.jpg

I used thin double-sided tape on the patch, but it kept coming loose, so I found some pins and pushed them through along the top and bottom to keep it flat. Used same pins on badge and ribbon, and cut the ends off with some pliers (hold onto them when you cut, I was lucky to find the first one after it flew off and bounced around 3 corners of the room). I wasn't going to stick the actual badge, but it hung too far forward in the case once it was on the wall so I put some thicker double-sided tape behind it.

The fun part was pushing all the pins through.

EHrPyAL.jpg

Once I knew where the pins were coming through, I used some thin double-sided tape to attach the last piece of dowel to the back of the frame (just slightly off centre to avoid touching any pin backs) and place it into the case. Then I put in the corner screws and put it all back together.

Like I said in an earlier post in here the point of this setup was so I could keep the original pin backs attached to the pins they came with without having them stick out the back of the frame, so it does that perfectly.

I hope someone finds that info helpful.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • odinson83odinson83 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hello All! I have been following Pinny pals since Prime last year. I would say I am a Pin Enthusiast. My handle on Pinny Pals trading is Brimstone. Here is my digital collection!!

Also I would like to post an actual picture of my collection, but i don't know how to. Could someone tell me how to insert a picture?

http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=Brimstone

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    So I've got a question. I've got a bunch of pins and so far all of them have had the little plastic wrap around them. Just got the Valentines day pin and it's on the Limited Edition card piece but doesn't have the plastic wrap. I assume they all came like that but does anyone know a place where I can get the little plastic wraps?

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Since Christmas last year they are no longer using plastic wraps

8fuuo_RK.png
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    huh really? The 15th anniversary came in a plastic wrap though?

Either way do stores or even ebay sell plastic wraps that size so I could just wrap it myself? Might sound kinda weird but I like em in the wraps

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    15th Anniversary was November wasn't it?

Also this is probably the wrong thread for this.