As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Graphic Violence
Who even knows anymore? Discuss the unending tire fire that is DC Comics here.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Awesome OP, Mr. Danger.

But damn, you're even more critical that I was!

Also, I'd at least de-italicize Red Lanterns. Charles Soule took over with issue 21, and it's been at the very least just as good as the other Lantern titles, and honestly probably one of the better ones.

I like that you bolded Constantine, which suggests that you're the only other person who has been reading it.

I'm curious to see what other input people will have on the Superman titles.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Oh crap, I was working off of sweetcreamyscoops's list from the old OP and forgot to look at yours. Give me a sec to make some edits.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't Larfreeze be under Green Lantern?

I liked Grifter and Team 7, though that was mostly nostalgia for Wildcats v2 and 3 and the original Team7 which were pretty good comics. (Saw rumours that they were planning a movie for Team7. The original series could work well as a movie.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sword and Sorcery was good! why dismiss it?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sword and Sorcery was good! why dismiss it?

Yeah, I agree. The amethyst stuff was really good, and the backups were fantastic because they were so far out on the fringe (they reminded me a lot of the proto-vertigo stuff DC was doing in the 80s).

A much-overlooked title collected in a single trade. I hope some people will see our messages and maybe give it a shot.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Really? I thought I had heard a lot of negative things about it. Maybe it was just the early issues?

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Have they announced what they're replacing Teen Titans with?

Or are they just killing the whole Young Justice line?

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    They're doing Young Justice Arena but in the end they just kill all of the teen heroes, forever.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Didn't they introduce Artemis (from the Young Justice animated show) in an issue of Teen Titans only to kill her off in that same issue?

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Didn't they introduce Artemis (from the Young Justice animated show) in an issue of Teen Titans only to kill her off in that same issue?

What the hell?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

What the hell?

Scott Lobdell

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Personal still running favorites?

Earth 2
    Wonder Woman
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man (sadly, ending somewhat soon)

I'd say those four are, still, at a consistently higher bar than everything else I enjoy/read from DC currently.

Mt second-tier is the Justice League books, Red Hood & the Outlaws, Batman & Robin, Batman, Aquaman, and Action Comics... which if Pak keeps it up will move higher.

As for canceled series: Sword of Sorcery and I, Vampire were way too good to get the axe they got. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

What the hell?

Teen Titans Annual #1

2316184-artemis.png

tumblr_m3erdcLGUW1r2evxwo1_500.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    SICK, SADISTIC, SLIME

Flexing those writing muscles eh Lobdell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, I heard that Connor Hawke was reintroduced to the New 52.

7lPjG9Y.jpg

Nice to see DC reintroduce such a cool character.

Mighty white of them.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    But that says "in his time as Robin before he took the name Red Robin"! He's always been Red Robin! I can't believe DC made such a glaring continuity error

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

What the hell?

Teen Titans Annual #1

2316184-artemis.png

tumblr_m3erdcLGUW1r2evxwo1_500.jpg

I don't see how something like that could appeal to any audience. 45 year olds wouldn't care about a character from the cartoons showing up and randomly dying. I wonder if they're just trying to create controversy to get publicity or if they're jealous of the animation department's success and popularity and have a childish grudge against them.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    45 year olds that watch the cartoon would care.

Which, let's be honest, most comic fans are going to watch the animated series iteration, if only to get angry about it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Lobdell's Teen Titans was an abortion that somehow continued on as a zombie.
    His Superboy had potential that was floundered and also became absolutely terrible.
    His Superman is okay, not outstanding, but readable without pissing you off. It just doesn't hold a candle to Pak or Snyder's small takes on the character so far.
    His Red Hood was good, but became way better when James Tynion IV (an actual fantastic writer) took over.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tynion IV is an great name for a planet

The disciplined stellar legions of Tynion IV

the Archon-Prince of Tynion IV

Tynion IV, home of the dreaded Snarebeast

• Options
    I hope Tynion gets another book when his Talon ends. Dude deserves more books.

I know he's one of the writers for Batman Eternal and is doing a comic at BOOM!, but man, I want him to keep writing for DC. Anyone that uses Morrison's character's and keeps them alive deserves props in my book.

• Options
    His Red Hood was good, but became way better when James Tynion IV (an actual fantastic writer) took over.

I disagree with both of those. Red Hood and Arsenal make for great street-level heroes/anti-heroes and the stories in Outlaws (space adventure, ancient magic races, etc) don't mesh with them at all. Like, why would you make a story about Jason Todd that has him being the savior of a mystical order?

Plus, ugh what they did to Bronze Tiger.

• Options
    Also the whole Starfire has the memory of a goldfish and sleeps with everyone thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    they changed that!

kinda

• Options
    Yes but Lobdell still wrote it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    if I took over Red Hood and the Outlaws it would star

Red Hood, Peacemaker, Vigilante (Patricia Trayce, but with a better costume), Manhunter (Kate Spencer), Wild Dog, and Spy Smasher (Katarina Armstrong, in an Oracle/Amanda Waller type role).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    they changed that!

kinda

After the backlash.
    Lobdell's Teen Titans was an abortion that somehow continued on as a zombie.
    His Superboy had potential that was floundered and also became absolutely terrible.
    His Superman is okay, not outstanding, but readable without pissing you off. It just doesn't hold a candle to Pak or Snyder's small takes on the character so far.

What's weird is that Lobdell produced great runs at Marvel with Uncanny X-men and Fantastic Four.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Starfire's a good character from 2-onward.

It's kinda sad that her and Roy are the closest thing to a healthy relationship that the nDCU has. They talk about their problems, work through them, and actually trust each other. WW/Supes have none of that.

Man.

I really miss Green Arrow & Black Canary.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    The Movement has been cancelled.

Curious if anyone will care.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That's Simone's book right? I'm sure her Tumblr fans will.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Well, her tumblr fans certainly weren't buying her book. It only sold 6k last month, and hasn't been over 8k since October.

Also, why the heck was that Harley Quinn book in the top ten last month? Ugh, I shouldn't have looked at the sales chart.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Wow... with those numbers, I'm kinda shocked that it wasn't cancelled months ago.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    And as usual with DC you can't look at trade sales to see if those would save the book, because the trades haven't come out yet. Not that I expect the Movement to do suddenly great in trades.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DC has been letting books slide more and more too. There are quite a few titles at 20K and below, and almost everything else is dropping.

January is not the busiest month, but the numbers in general for all publishers aren't too encouraging. DC's line has more or less gone totally stagnant, but luckily for them a lot of Marvel titles seem to have slipped quite a bit as well for some reason.

I think this year we'll be slowly returning to how things were in 2011, at least for DC. Marvel's got a lot of smaller titles that I think will suffer from small launches, but they've also got a lot more high-profile, non-weekly stuff on deck as well. I'm starting to feel like DC doesn't have anything huge up their sleeve after Johns/JRjr on Superman and their weekly titles.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was reading the end of that article you posted HadjiQuest and I really found it sad and somewhat dumb to think people return comics?

Really they did a lot of interesting things with older characters but cut them when sales did not hold up

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I suspect DC's commitment to keeping 52(ish) titles at one time is allowing some of the weaker books to skate by while they try to find replacements.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I suspect DC's commitment to keeping 52(ish) titles at one time is allowing some of the weaker books to skate by while they try to find replacements.

For the books, or for the creative teams?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

For the books, or for the creative teams?

Probably both, depending on the title.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Also, why the heck was that Harley Quinn book in the top ten last month? Ugh, I shouldn't have looked at the sales chart.

I dunno, it's kind of nice to have a solo female book in the top 10.

• Options
    Which would be nice if it was an actual good book like Captain Marvel was.

But it's not a good book.