As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fantastic Fucking Future

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Haha. *drinks bleach*

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Archaeologists discovered fossil footprints in the UK recently thought to be nearly a million years old. The oldest such prints in the UK known before were only 7,500, and these are the oldest footprints discovered outside of Africa.

I know this is the past not the future but I thought it was cool and if time is cyclical it still kind of fits.

a million! wow

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This will probably not end well ...

Inspired by Swarming Termites, Robots Can Build Without Supervision

zp9u.jpg
    Modeling the behavior of termites, a Harvard research team has assembled small robots and developed software that enables them to build something without supervision. Working with no central control, the robots instead are guided by simple rules as they interact with their environment, tools, and each other.

• Options
    no scarier than actual termites.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Haha. *drinks bleach*

I think this means my gift was well received and appreciated! I am a good friend.

• Options
    A Table Tennis Champion Will Face Off Against A Ping Pong-Playing Robot Next Month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mbdtupCbc4
    32-year-old Timo Boll is Germany's table tennis champion, currently ranked number eight in the world. He is also a new "brand ambassador" for KUKA Robotics in China.

The company's "Agilus" robot is the fastest robot in the world, and it appears to play a pretty mean game of ping pong itself.

The two will face off in a man vs. machine exhibition match on March 11, and you'll be able to watch it all unfold online. Check the event's official site as the date rolls closer for more.

• Options
  • Options
    KUKA does rad stuff. There's a dancing robot routine they do, I dunno if there's video but I've seen it live and it's really cute.

• Options
  • Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    A Table Tennis Champion Will Face Off Against A Ping Pong-Playing Robot Next Month

32-year-old Timo Boll is Germany's table tennis champion, currently ranked number eight in the world. He is also a new "brand ambassador" for KUKA Robotics in China.

The company's "Agilus" robot is the fastest robot in the world, and it appears to play a pretty mean game of ping pong itself.

The two will face off in a man vs. machine exhibition match on March 11, and you'll be able to watch it all unfold online. Check the event's official site as the date rolls closer for more.

Also @Robert Khoo

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Slap a polo shirt on it and you're all set.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can it do the Khoo woo?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Slap a polo shirt on it and you're all set.

S1HA7xJ.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Scientists steer tiny motors inside human cells with magnets

Man the next generation is going to have way cooler remote control toys than I did as a kid :D

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26222424

Google has acquired SlickLogin - an Israeli start-up behind the technology that allows websites to verify a user's identity by using sound waves.

"Hello. I am the system administrator. My voice is my passport. Verify me."

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    one step closer to this, the computopia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWX4GUYGQXQ

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I just logged into the IRD (tax departmant stuff) over the phone by talking with a robot. When people say they hate "talking with a robot" they usually mean they hate "if you want ______ press 1". This was all done by voice, even when they could have had me press the buttons. Actually talking to a robot. Very weird, I don't like it. Voice recognition is not 100% reliable, pressing a button is.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I just logged into the IRD (tax departmant stuff) over the phone by talking with a robot. When people say they hate "talking with a robot" they usually mean they hate "if you want ______ press 1". This was all done by voice, even when they could have had me press the buttons. Actually talking to a robot. Very weird, I don't like it. Voice recognition is not 100% reliable, pressing a button is.

As someone who works with both, yes.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    This will probably not end well ...

Inspired by Swarming Termites, Robots Can Build Without Supervision

zp9u.jpg
    Modeling the behavior of termites, a Harvard research team has assembled small robots and developed software that enables them to build something without supervision. Working with no central control, the robots instead are guided by simple rules as they interact with their environment, tools, and each other.

Few days later:

http://www.replicatedtypo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Picture-18.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

As someone who works with both, yes.

I called Fed Ex last week and got in an arguement with the robot

"Please tell me what you're calling about in a few words"

"There was a delivery notice on our apartment door but it didn't have a name on it and neither my girlfriend or I are expecting anything so I want to know who it's for and if it's for my girlfriend if I'm allowed to pick it up"

"I'm sorry, are you inquiring about shipping rates?"

"No."

"I'm sorry. Please tell me what you're calling about in a few words"

"Delivery Notice"

"So you want to talk to someone about shipping documents?"

"No"

"I'm sorry. Please tell me what you're calling about in a few words"

"Customer Service"

"So you want to talk to a customer service representative. Please tell me in a few words what you'd like to talk about"

I mean I get that most of the people who call are going to have one of a handful of common inquiries, but fuck man, if the robot fails to get it after 1 or 2 tries, just put me through to a damn human.

• Options
    going through that rigmarole in german always got me down.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    FedEx protip:

It's always "Customer Service. Customer Service." Fuck their issues (unless you have specific numbers and already know how to get what you're after).
    Just "Customer Service" twice and wait on hold until they're goddamned good and ready to talk to you.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    That's what kills me

I basically did that after a while, and I was not on hold ever at all. The robot was like "OK" and there was a click, and Janet in Customer Service picked it right up.

Janet was super helpful, though, thanks Janet.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the people are generally pretty good. And wait times differ -- during the Christmas rush for example, 30+ minute waits are not unusual. But hey, good for Janet! :)

• Options
    I have never had to deal with a system like that.

I hope I never do.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Most of those systems have options to just go straight to a customer service rep. Most of the time they make it unclear that's an option. It can really help the people who have the knowledge though, since most of their customers are lost in a maze of synthesized voice recordings and touchtone prompts.

If I have to work with a robot I prefer to do it in text online rather than over the phone.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Chimera wrote: »

quit playing games

with my heart

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Literally as soon as I finished watching that video just now, UPS dropped off my Back to the Future trilogy box set
    It's too much to handle right now

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    wait a minute Western Union just arrived with a message for me from... 1885?????

• Options
    we got bumped at an event in Munich this month because the company decided they'd rather have Christopher Lloyd.

• Options
  • Options
    Messing with the Leidenfrost effect

http://youtu.be/zzKgnNGqxMw

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
  • Options
    yo I flexed my biceps at the cosmos

and I was so swole the universe got inflated

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

From my knowledge of man vs machine folk tales, this is going to result in the defeat of the machine, but Timo Boll will die with his paddle in his hand.

Yonder lies a line painting man, oh lord, yonder lies a line painting man...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    That matchup was unfortunately pretty disappointing, it was all scripted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIJME8-au8
    Here's what I believe is real: I believe that the Kuka robot can probably do that trick at the beginning with rolling the ball over the paddle (given enough takes). I also believe that it can probably serve by itself. And I believe that the robot (called Kuka KR Agilus) can, in real life, move as fast as it appears to and, as a result, even return some difficult shots.

But can it really return shots from Timo Boll? And if the answer is yes, how does it do that? Watching the video, I don't see any kind of high-speed camera or motion tracking system. A ping pong ball is very small, and Timo Boll can hit it pretty damn fast. And the ball is also spinning. In order to hit one of these incoming ping pong balls, you have to have a very accurate idea of where it's going to be when it gets within range of your robot, not to mention all of the other planning you have to do to figure out exactly how to swing the robot arm to return the ball where you want it to go, never mind just intersecting it. Were the camera systems removed from the film in post-production? And what about the ending with Timo Ball exchanging shots with multiple robots: Is there anything real in that scene or is it all special effects?

The "Making Of" video (which you can watch here) is equally disappointing and doesn't provide any behind-the-scenes details on how the robot works.

It's about as real as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Crossposting
    Fishman wrote: »
    Stanford sends an associate professor to inform Andrei Linde, father of inflation theory, news of BICEP2's confirmation of supporting evidence.
    It’s rare enough for a person to have a life’s work; to be able to see the validation of that work firsthand is understandably an overpowering experience. Linde might not call those years of waiting “faith,” but what he describes sounds somewhat like it—the persevering hope in the face of doubt and self-questioning: “What if I believe in this just because it is beautiful?” Faith, after all, is not just a religious category, and science isn’t divorced from our human capacities for aesthetic appreciation and awe.

Watch the fucking video.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    this is the past, not the future, but who cares

Pygmy t-rex! look at his extra-wee arms!

t-rex-cousin.jpg

http://www.history.com/news/t-rexs-little-cousin-new-pygmy-tyrannosaur-discovered-in-alaska

• Options