As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

1103104105106107109»

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    oh hey I got it working! Mostly! Horrary Windows 7

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I hope this thread is the best place to ask this:

I'm in the market for a new video card. My girlfriend has a Falcon Northwest Talon from 2009, and the Radeon 5870 in there is beginning to show its age. Thought I'd treat her to a shiny new graphics card. The last time I built my own gaming desktop the Radeon 4870 had just come out, and I'm using Macs now. So, my knowledge is... dated.

It's a decent machine. Some sort of i7 in there, 8gb of RAM, a new 256gb SSD, 750 watt power supply. She isn't playing at insane resolutions... just 1680x1050. Though, maybe something that could handle 1080p or 1440p without dying would be cool (in case I feel like getting her another gift).

I'm wondering what I should be looking at. Brace yourselves for vague parameters that you couldn't possibly really work with: Ideally something that could handle Witcher 3 at reasonably high settings, whenever that comes out. Or, at least something that could actually max out Witcher 2. As for budget... $300-400 would be optimal. I'll go a biiiiit higher if it'll make a massive difference.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I've put a build together on partpicker and I could use some feedback. - ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2TeTj

The bits I like are:
    Case: Fractal R4
    CPU: i5-4670
    RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix (mainly because it's cheap for what it is)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB (or a 500GB if it's on a better sale at the time)
    HDD: whatever WD or Hitachi is on sale

The bits I need help with:
    Mobo: ASRock H87 Pro4 (kinda picked it off the list)
    PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze (seems alright, but I'm not sure)

Bits I already have:
    Video: ATI 6850
    Monitor (1080p), keyboard, mouse, OS, sound card

This will be a general/gaming/development.

Does anything look terribly out of place? Any suggestions for the mobo or PSU?

Thanks in advance!

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    Kindof the same boat - Trying to start thinking about a new rig, so that my kids can inherit the one I built (with the help of this thread!) 8 years ago. Mostly for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.79 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $600.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-14 18:08 EST-0500)

Am I screwing something up here? $600 is a firm budget, with a new monitor to come later.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    floobie wrote: »

I'm in the market for a new video card. My girlfriend has a Falcon Northwest Talon from 2009, and the Radeon 5870 in there is beginning to show its age. Thought I'd treat her to a shiny new graphics card. The last time I built my own gaming desktop the Radeon 4870 had just come out, and I'm using Macs now. So, my knowledge is... dated.

It's a decent machine. Some sort of i7 in there, 8gb of RAM, a new 256gb SSD, 750 watt power supply. She isn't playing at insane resolutions... just 1680x1050. Though, maybe something that could handle 1080p or 1440p without dying would be cool (in case I feel like getting her another gift).

I'm wondering what I should be looking at. Brace yourselves for vague parameters that you couldn't possibly really work with: Ideally something that could handle Witcher 3 at reasonably high settings, whenever that comes out. Or, at least something that could actually max out Witcher 2. As for budget... $300-400 would be optimal. I'll go a biiiiit higher if it'll make a massive difference.

At 1680x1050 or even 1080p, an nVidia GTX 770 will be more than enough (especially for 1680x1050). Given the current prices of Radeon cards, I can't really recommend them (Though an R9 280x would be comparable).

For 1440p, you could jump up to the GTX 780 or the R9 290 (again, prices are atrocious right now).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Please, please, please don't reward these retailers by buying an R9 card right now. If you pay their prices right now, they get the impression this sort of price gouging is okay. Don't do it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Weird question, I'm getting all these odd Permission errors. When I try accessing my Windows.old folder it says I lack a required privledge to access it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    That's not what price gouging is.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Weird question, I'm getting all these odd Permission errors. When I try accessing my Windows.old folder it says I lack a required privledge to access it.

I don't know exactly what might cause that but you could probably boot into safe mode and move whatever files you need out of there.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    I've put a build together on partpicker and I could use some feedback. - ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2TeTj

The bits I like are:
    Case: Fractal R4
    CPU: i5-4670
    RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix (mainly because it's cheap for what it is)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB (or a 500GB if it's on a better sale at the time)
    HDD: whatever WD or Hitachi is on sale

The bits I need help with:
    Mobo: ASRock H87 Pro4 (kinda picked it off the list)
    PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze (seems alright, but I'm not sure)

Bits I already have:
    Video: ATI 6850
    Monitor (1080p), keyboard, mouse, OS, sound card

This will be a general/gaming/development.

Does anything look terribly out of place? Any suggestions for the mobo or PSU?

Thanks in advance!

I think thats a pretty good motherboard choice. Your 4670 is the non-K version right? Thats the board I've been recommending to everyone if so. They also have a micro-ATX version if you want something smaller. Same price I think.

I don't think the Corsair CX series PSUs are that great. Check out something from Seasonic or a Corsair HX or TX series.

• Options

You have to take ownership of the files. You can google "taking ownership of files" in Windows, but the gist of it is to right click the Windows.old folder, go to Security, and then click on "Edit" in the middle of the security screen.

• Options
    I did all that, gave myself full control and it still won't work

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    That's not what price gouging is.

Cranking prices way up because a few idiots are buying lots of something isn't gouging?

There is no limited supply here, manufacturers are making tens of thousands of these cards each every month.

I don't see Sony putting the price of the PS4 up by 50% because of their popularity, do you?

• Options
    I did all that, gave myself full control and it still won't work

I think the last time I had to do it, I clicked all the damn boxes, not just the ones that said "Full Control". And then I think that I maybe had to add myself, not just grant permissions to my current account.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    C0oTM7H.jpg
    ctkhaUv.jpg

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Am I missing something or is there no power supply in that case?

Looks awesome though! So clean. I could never get my cables looking that good.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is there no power supply in that case?

Looks awesome though! So clean. I could never get my cables looking that good.

Its the Corsair Carbide Air 540. Its a big cube with two separate compartments! The PSU, 5 1/4" bays, SSD's, and all cabling are in the second compartment behind the motherboard. Its pretty awesome. Allows for crazy good airflow and great cable management.

Here's a few more to give you an idea. The shot of the back was before I added the new fans and the fan controller.
    nAy4Zln.jpg
    y69wxO7.jpg
    OBNXctI.jpg

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I've seen those before but just hadn't ever seen the interior. That looks really awesome!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Anandtech posted a pretty interesting article today discussing the R9-290 pricing shenanigans, definitely worth a read(A bit aggravating tbh).
    edit: typin' error

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    fuck bitcoin

• Options
    That case looks so nice and orderly. Mine is...a mess

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    fuck bitcoin

Can't wait until the eventual crash in value due to hoarding economics/general uselessness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    Pirusu wrote: »
    floobie wrote: »

At 1680x1050 or even 1080p, an nVidia GTX 770 will be more than enough (especially for 1680x1050). Given the current prices of Radeon cards, I can't really recommend them (Though an R9 280x would be comparable).

For 1440p, you could jump up to the GTX 780 or the R9 290 (again, prices are atrocious right now).

Yeah, I did some perusing at Memory Express, and... yeah, those Radeon cards are insanely expensive right now! GTX 770 it is! Thanks for the help!

• Options
    That case looks so nice and orderly. Mine is...a mess

Its really not too hard to do, you just need time and the desire to do it, and the ability to not get bored and just rush through it. A decent semi modular PSU and a case that provides good cable management help a ton though. And twisty ties and zip ties. Those are key.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    How often do SSDs go on sale at the various online retailers? I've decided I want one, but my need isn't urgent--is it worth waiting for a discount to pop up?

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, I was thinking of grabbing a SSD for my T430 and am curious about something. If I were to get a small SSD (120gb) and store my OS on there, is that the best performance setup? I plan to keep the 500gb drive that I currently have for data and stuff, putting it in the optical drive slot.

I know SSDs are way faster and provide a performance boost, I just want to make sure that using it for the OS is the best move.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Having your OS on a SSD will give you a noticeable speed boost. My current setup is a 120GB OS SSD, a 250GB programs/games SSD, and a coupla platter drives for media.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    How often do SSDs go on sale at the various online retailers? I've decided I want one, but my need isn't urgent--is it worth waiting for a discount to pop up?

Ehhhh...I dunno. I'd say most retailiers are probably running a special of some kind on the regular, but the discounts aren't going to be SUPER deep. I'd say it depends on how badly you want one. If you can wait for a sweet deal, do so.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Doesn't look like @Alecthar is coming back, so I went ahead and modified his last OP and created a new build thread. Now I just need to figure out how the announcement thing works.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Windows is making me want to melt my entire system.

Finally got my install code from my previous version, finally got all my permissions changed up and deleted everything, except I forgot to change the recycle bin settings and I now have about 200gigs of data sitting in the recycle bin. And Windows isn't letting me empty it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like @Alecthar is coming back, so I went ahead and modified his last OP and created a new build thread. Now I just need to figure out how the announcement thing works.

You just PM a mod to ask for it to be made a sticky.

I hope @Alecthar is okay!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm looking to change cases for better airflow. What would you recommend right now? My motherboard is a gigabyte 2AC8 according to cpu z. Do you need you need to know anything else to recommend a case? Sorry, I'm still learning here.

Steam: offday
This discussion has been closed.