As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old 2.15 Patch thread.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    You'll note Delphi does not specify what exactly you will be getting in

Only send tells if you enjoy extended stays in basement pits

With comfy fires!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    Bought this and it's downloading now on PS3. Super excited. lancer looks most fun to me, but I could do Arcanist as well. Am I going to regret going DPS later on when I'm trying to use the duty finder, or does it really not matter?

Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    Bought this and it's downloading now on PS3. Super excited. lancer looks most fun to me, but I could do Arcanist as well. Am I going to regret going DPS later on when I'm trying to use the duty finder, or does it really not matter?

DPS has some lofty queue times in Duty Finder for sure, but often times if you ask in FC people are willing to jump in and help out (FC is a guild basically)

For quick Queue times on your own though you'll want to go Healer or Tank, but with the Duty Roulette even DPS only has to wait upwards of 20-30 minutes on the high end. Typically it's faster than that though, and it's a far cry better than it was before the Duty Roulette :)

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

With comfy fires!

Dropping lit matches on people in the bottom of the pit while they huddle in the corner wimpering is not comfy Delpi!

Well, I mean for them

That throne you reside upon while doing so does look hella comfy, I'll give you that

• Options

Good news is if you go Arcanist you can do either DPS or Healer and switch between the two on the fly before queuing up

But yes DPS queues are sometimes annoyingly lengthy. There's a reason I do almost all my Myth Tome farming as a tank.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2014
    This is going well.

7wvg.jpg

frw6.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    Sorry to ask so many noob questions, I promise I'll get better. But is summoner viable end game DPS?

Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The last time I queued as DPS for a dungeon it took less than 5 minutes to get in. That was for a level 50 dungeon for the relic quest, but it was also maybe a week ago tops. Queue times are reasonable enough in my opinion that you should play what you want, instead of what you think will be easier to level.

As far as new player tips, I'm not sure if they tell you which classes start where.

Limsa Lominsa - Arcanist (starts as caster DPS, later can be either caster DPS or healer) and Marauder (tank)
    Ul'dah - Gladiator (tank), Thaumaturge (caster DPS), Pugilist (melee DPS)
    Gridania - Conjurer (healer), Archer (ranged physical DPS with support skills later), Lancer (melee DPS)

Uhm, this information is probably presented in a prettier format in the OP, but man that was 94 pages back and who wants to read that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Every class is viable in the game. Summoners are fairly good DPS-wise iirc.
    chrisnl wrote: »
    The last time I queued as DPS for a dungeon it took less than 5 minutes to get in. That was for a level 50 dungeon for the relic quest, but it was also maybe a week ago tops. Queue times are reasonable enough in my opinion that you should play what you want, instead of what you think will be easier to level.

As far as new player tips, I'm not sure if they tell you which classes start where.

Limsa Lominsa - Arcanist (starts as caster DPS, later can be either caster DPS or healer) and Marauder (tank)
    Ul'dah - Gladiator (tank), Thaumaturge (caster DPS), Pugilist (melee DPS)
    Gridania - Conjurer (healer), Archer (ranged physical DPS with support skills later), Lancer (melee DPS)

Uhm, this information is probably presented in a prettier format in the OP, but man that was 94 pages back and who wants to read that?

You can definitely get the occasional quick pop as a DPS but it's not really something I'd advise anyone to expect. It's usually between 10-30 minutes for DPS. While yes you can get an occasional five minute pop those are about as common as the 65 minute queue I had for CT the other night as DPS. Which is to say they're both fairly uncommon.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to ask so many noob questions, I promise I'll get better. But is summoner viable end game DPS?

Oh yes very much so. This is coming from my main as a Summoner. SMN dps is very good, but then again all DPS classes have good dps and all are viable in t he endgame.

Your most popular ones are BLM and BRD, but MNK, SMN, and DRG are all perfectly viable and you see them all the time in the hardest content in the game. On top of that the limit break meter builds a bit slower when you have duplicate classes in your party, so people are more inclined to take a variety of classes when they can.

It's pretty rare outside of maybe a couple fights to see people refuse specific DPS classes. The only one I can think of off hand is MAYBE Garuda EX if they aren't using the JP method because the double wicked wheel is tough for melee classes (DRG, MNK)

But yeah no worries about SMN being awesome at endgame. It's my favorite DPS class and kicks major ass.

If you are thinking it's like FFXI when it first came out and people flat out refused to take certain classes allow me to say it's not like that at all in FFXIV. All the classes are viable in the endgame content, this includes Tanks and healers (Who actually work better when you have BOTH types of tanks and healers) :)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Just bought this from amazon on sale for 15. Is the clan still on Sargatanas (Legacy)? Is that an east or west coast server?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's a frozen north coast server.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you are thinking it's like FFXI when it first came out and people flat out refused to take certain classes

A memory to this day I wish I could have scrubbed from my brain. An entire weekend sitting in the dunes for a single group that disbanded after one pull. Literally uninstalled the game and never looked back except to say "fuck that game"

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

With comfy fires!

Tell me more about these special basement pits, Delphi...

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    summoners seem quite rare, I don't know if that is the actual truth. I wouldn't play any other class though. except scholar because it's there.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    You don't see a huge number of summoners around from my experience, but the class is very good. Strong DPS and good utility (res, debuffs). It's very convenient to have a summoner in a raid group because if something does go wrong and a player needs to be raised, they can do it at a minimal DPS loss and let the healers continue to heal, instead of having one of the healers having to stop what they are doing and risk others dying as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    After hitting 30 with my Arcanist and getting Bane, Summoner has become a lot of fun.

Also a lot of agro.

It was neat using Ifrit to stun the Manor Maidservants in Haukke.

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    hai guyz, just joined the FC tonight with Cuthbert Flamestrike

see you around~

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    A6B2FE5627F7E1092DA8A5DC3925FD5FA29880B8

At this point, anything beats fighting from inside a tin can. Sign me up.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not enough air holes in that thing.

• Options
    Unrelated: I still can't connect to the Vent server and I don't know why.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Can I get a guild invite? Do you need my square account name or character name?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So. God. Damn. Cute!

8e4wfJa.png

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Character name is fine then we can shoot you an invite

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Character name is fine then we can shoot you an invite

Tyon Rowntree. Thanks!

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    After hitting 30 with my Arcanist and getting Bane, Summoner has become a lot of fun.

Also a lot of agro.

When I was doing a lowbie roulette on PLD a few days back, I had a Haukke where the SMN kept chain-Bane-ing every pack of mobs.

I've never had such a hard time holding aggro, but I managed it, and the SMN said he'd never seen anyone manage before.

I still hated him a bit, but at least I was proud of myself.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »

Also a lot of agro.

When I was doing a lowbie roulette on PLD a few days back, I had a Haukke where the SMN kept chain-Bane-ing every pack of mobs.

I've never had such a hard time holding aggro, but I managed it, and the SMN said he'd never seen anyone manage before.

I still hated him a bit, but at least I was proud of myself.

By ol' Nald'thal your an inspiration for us future Paladins.

488W936.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    You don't see a huge number of summoners around from my experience, but the class is very good. Strong DPS and good utility (res, debuffs). It's very convenient to have a summoner in a raid group because if something does go wrong and a player needs to be raised, they can do it at a minimal DPS loss and let the healers continue to heal, instead of having one of the healers having to stop what they are doing and risk others dying as well.

If you go SMN, for the love of god get Swiftcast from THM. Swiftcast rezzes as well as swiftcasting to resummon your pet when you shamefully let it die is invaluable.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Happy Valentione's Day!

We got the FC peeps together for fun Valentine's themed pictures!

iZ6zPcp.jpg

vjgcfka.png?1

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    If you are thinking it's like FFXI when it first came out and people flat out refused to take certain classes allow me to say it's not like that at all in FFXIV. All the classes are viable in the endgame content, this includes Tanks and healers (Who actually work better when you have BOTH types of tanks and healers) :)

As someone who maxed out Dark Knight first in FFXI, that is comforting. m(_ _)m

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    FF14 and 11 share literally almost nothing but the most superficial of traits in common and we should all be very glad that is the case.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Bah, I knew I was missing something! :( I wanted to get in on the photo, but completely forgot.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I neglected to do the valentines event. Finished lightning today though.

Working on getting all the combat classes to 15 to clear up some gear and help with future pushes toward jobs. Got warrior last night. Just archer, arcanist and thaum

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Bah, I knew I was missing something! :( I wanted to get in on the photo, but completely forgot.

I was online when they were getting it together, but I had to go to dinner with my folks.

So I had to leave my PC right when someone was mentioning the photo shoot in FC chat.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    A usual something cool happens while I'm at work

Good pics though.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Last night I encountered a veritable white whale of PUGs.

An all Elezen group.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

An all Elezen group.

Fiaryn. This is an intervention.

You need to stop eating the shrooms.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »

An all Elezen group.

Fiaryn. This is an intervention.

You need to stop eating the shrooms.

But...but it was REAL! :(

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Bravely Default put me in the FF14 mood (of which I only played a little bit on the rerelease), so I decided to just browse the thread to get my fill. Then that v-day photo made me want to play. Must...resist.

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    Bravely Default put me in the FF14 mood (of which I only played a little bit on the rerelease), so I decided to just browse the thread to get my fill. Then that v-day photo made me want to play. Must...resist.

What's that? You want me to delve into my 8 gigs worth of FFXIV screenshots and post more stuff to show you how awesome the game is?

Well if you insist, I'll get right on that once I get home from work!

delphinidaes.png