As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Never say never. @Pixelated Pixie Said "No, that will not do. Scratchy requires valentines chainsaw shenanigans."

Thank you Pixie!

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Someone didn't accept my Starbound gift, and I forgot who I sent it to.....should I just keep it?

edited February 2014
    Someone didn't accept my Starbound gift, and I forgot who I sent it to.....should I just keep it?

Well, you tried. Starbound's pretty fun. You can be a cannibalistic plant person or a medieval robot. I think there are other characters but why would you choose them when those two are options?

Edit: cut off half my message, weird.

If you love something set it free, if it comes back than it was meant to be.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

If you sent it through Steam it should say who was the intended recipient if you click on it in your inventory.

camo_sig2.png
    Sumanai wrote: »

If you sent it through Steam it should say who was the intended recipient if you click on it in your inventory.

Just found it, ironically, its our missing gladiator.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    A strange turn of events. A big thanks to @mts and @msmya for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning! Someone won a giveaway but already had the game. I think. Or something. Either way they are both endlessly classy people.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Tower D report: I find Pixel Junk Monsters ultimate pretty horrible.

If anyone wants to try out some multiplayer let me know. I wouldn't mind trying to run around being a constipated shaman with someone else.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    @Akajaybay has a great game going. Lets fast forward to the future. I think there is something happening then. . .
    @big classy came to Lara with his problem. His grandfather had passed on a book to him that he had never seen. The book contained the heritage of his great family. The surprising part, is it went all the way back to the roman times. Some of the very first pages spoke of a great games. One that pitted the best of the best of the best "sir" against each other.

Fast forward to why classy was there. He needed an archeologist, and Lara was the girl. Lara was know for traveling the world and finding those rare things yet unfound. After a meeting it was settled. Lara was to set out and find the location of those great games. To find evidence of what was the past.
    Journal entry 1
    I'm over joyed. I have found the Colosseum were the games were held. Or so I think, on one wall is a great representation of the fight. I think I even found what we would call a bracket carved into on wall in the entry way. There is also a map, a map that leads to what I can only interpret as a graveyard.
    Journal entry 2
    I found it, the graveyard and a stone. The stone is in latin, and marked with a giant I. I will have to get this translated, and later put in a museum to show the world. I hope classy agrees.
    Journal entry 3
    I found the translation. I'm not sure I understand, but I will write it here for keeping for now.
    "Woahh! And its all over folks. Madican glanced away to smile for the crowd in what looked like a dangerous error. Bolthorn quickly made a lunge for him while he was distracted. Leapt straight at him to skewer him with his knife forgoing all defense. But it was a ruse. Madican dropped backwards to the ground and expertly planted his trident between them. Just brutally impaling Bolthorn. There's no way he could have survived that."
    Journal entry 4
    Classy agrees, we now have it on show.
    Fight%20I%20Display.jpg?psid=1

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    edited February 2014
    Robotic Dues has the same interface issues I find with A Valley without Wind but there's more talking in this one and their voices are humorous to my....OMFG WHY DID YOU ALL BLOW UP?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQYqsl4uwEo

RoyceSraphim on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    A few pages ago we were talking about Analogue and Hate Plus. Apparently Christine Love announced a new game (a year off, argh!) last month, but I only found out a couple days ago.

Hopefully it'll come to Steam, where it may take the crown of "Game with the Longest Title on Steam."

My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!!
    It won't since it's aparently an erotic visual novel.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    A few pages ago we were talking about Analogue and Hate Plus. Apparently Christine Love announced a new game (a year off, argh!) last month, but I only found out a couple days ago.

Hopefully it'll come to Steam, where it may take the crown of "Game with the Longest Title on Steam."

My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!!

Still getting it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Still getting it.
    Well, yes. That's fine. It just won't come to steam.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Guys. I need some suggestions for a game with lots of *feels*. let me know.

This song is stuck in my head and on replay...

msmya on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, what is Starbound, exactly? I mean, I see comparisons to Terraria, but seeing as I haven't played Terraria, I'm not sure how that helps me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    msmya wrote: »

The Cat Lady?

Edit: *ahem*

... wrong kind of feels.

Sokpuppet on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Gone Home!

Alternatively, To the Moon will also provide a good play to feels ratio.

steam_sig.png
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

The Cat Lady?

... wrong kind of feels.

Looks scary.. :hides:

My co-worker told me about outlast.... yeah.. no thanks. I think I'm ok.

To the Moon had so much feels. I cried.

And then gifted it to my friend, who liked it so much he gifted it to 5 of his other friends.
    I created a monster.

msmya on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Gone Home!

Alternatively, To the Moon will also provide a good play to feels ratio.

Yes, and yes.

To The Moon takes the cake for being the dumbest fucking premise with the goofiest setup that somehow turns into a heart wrenchingly beautiful bit of fiction. Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (from which it draws heavy, heavy inspiration), it questions the idea of destiny, attraction, love, guilt and loss. The central theme (also borrowed from Eternal Sunshine, but riffed on in a different manner here) revolves around the idea that the most painful, brutal feeling in the world is to be, not hated, but forgotten by someone you love. It's touching and tragic and uplifting and it contains a stupid 16-bit RPG battle system gag that is way more endearing than it should be. I'm a real sucker for any piece of work that melds low brow and high brow together that fluidly, and very very few games (or hell, any media) do it as well as To The Moon.

And as for Gone Home, it's one of my favorite games. Ever. Top 10, easily. Maybe top 5. It's a landmark bit of storytelling in video games. In a medium obsessed with telling grand, fantastic stories that cast you in the central role as the hero, it takes balls to tell a simple, human love story wrapped up in a relatable and masterfully crafted bit of family drama that leaves you as nearly an outsider with no bearing on the story whatsoever. Despite your character holding no position in the actual plot (the feeling of being a stranger in your own house is perfectly explained and used to chilling effect), you come to understand and feel for every character in the game because you're left to piece together their stories from what you learn about them. You have to understand why your sister feels the way she does. You have to understand the subtext of your mom's letters. You have to figure out why the Super Nintendo is missing. You have to put the pieces together that explain your father's career trajectory. It's a weird game that requires you to wield real human empathy, rather than any remotely "gamey" mechanic. The game is unique in that way, it doesn't play with your more base emotions like attachment and love (Because Aeris dying does not = emotionally mature gameplay), but rather on empathy, which is much harder to engage because gamers are so naturally aware of when a game is trying to play us. And yet Gone Home plays us like a violin. If you don't enjoy Gone Home's story, you might be a psychopath. It's a beautiful thing and everyone should play it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

The Cat Lady?

... wrong kind of feels.

Looks scary.. :hides:

My co-worker told me about outlast.... yeah.. no thanks. I think I'm ok.

To the Moon had so much feels. I cried.

And then gifted it to my friend, who liked it so much he gifted it to 5 of his other friends.
    I created a monster.

Well since you mentioned To the Moon already.... The walking dead season 1, Brothers-a tale of two sons, and the binding of isaac (nothing about this games story is good or happy anytime you play it but it may not be feels worthy.)

steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »

Well, you tried. Starbound's pretty fun. You can be a cannibalistic plant person or a medieval robot. I think there are other characters but why would you choose them when those two are options?.

Well, eventually there will also be Cowboy Plasma beings.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Scratchy wrote: »

Well, you tried. Starbound's pretty fun. You can be a cannibalistic plant person or a medieval robot. I think there are other characters but why would you choose them when those two are options?.

Well, eventually there will also be Cowboy Plasma beings.

That is the day my resistance probably crumbles.

Also, MI is going to make me play Gone Home again.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

See, here's the thing. Do they have to be "bad" feels exclusively? Because if not, I can defnitely recommend Thomas Was Alone. I can assure you, you will feel for the little rectangles.

Up, and to the right.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

If anyone wants to try out some multiplayer let me know. I wouldn't mind trying to run around being a constipated shaman with someone else.

Yeah, I think the game has a pretty inflated reputation due to being one of the few console options. Anyone with access to a PC or hell, a tablet can easily find many more better options.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Whelp.

Started a new game in Rome II, playing every battle manually (and figuring what the hell, even if I finish it a year from now, I can be working towards Vini, Vidi, Vici), and it feels like I'm farting into the wind in this contest :(

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    a) i need an invite to the pa group on steam
    and
    b) did anyone grab MS3? I want someone to duo with!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sorce wrote: »
    So ~10 hours after I began the process, I finally got my code for the Moxxi DLC.

If this whole experience is typical for how GameAgent does things, I say avoid, avoid, avoid.

It ended up taking me about six hours from the time I was (finally) able to get their site to stay up long enough to place the order, until the time I got an email with a code.

But while our experiences were similar, I guess our attitudes couldn't be farther separated.

I don't mind that it took a long time, because I have empathy for a website that runs a neat little V-Day themed promo and then gets absolutely swamped with traffic once news of that promo hits various forums/reddit/4chan/etc. Their servers were absolutely annihilated with people who were trying to get a free steam key, so much so that they were pumping out 500: Internal Server Errors, which unlike errors like 404 is nonspecific, which means that it is a fancy web term for "something went wrong and the server is so busy right now it can't even tell you what went wrong".

This happens every time a website runs a promo for anything free on Steam, going back even as far as the BGamer/Dark Messiah fiasco of '09 and beyond. You oughtta know by now that it would have taken a while.

So basically you really need to change your outlook. Instead of complaining about how long it took for gameagent to give you some free DLC (while untold numbers of other people were also scrambling to try and get free DLC), maybe you should instead look at it a different emotion. I'd suggest gratitude.
    I'm not unhappy about the delay in getting free DLC. If I hadn't gotten it, it would have been okay; it's a free offer for DLC, not getting it is the same as getting it. I'm saying that the site itself wasn't prepared for the influx, and they should have been.

Though I guess it's my fault for not realizing the internet has a habit of crashing sites when it comes to free stuff.

edit: I'm not being sarcastic about that either, I don't pay attention to Slickdeals and whatnot. I only heard about this because a friend linked the site it to me.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sorce wrote: »
    Though I guess it's my fault for not realizing the internet has a habit of crashing sites when it comes to free stuff.

The internet is like the ocean, and while it is normally calm and serene, it can and will turn into an unstoppable tsunami at the slightest provocation.

Valve Software is a company worth approximately two and a half billion with a b dollars. They have datacenters handling their traffic all over the world. Here are what their global server stats have looked like over the past two days:

0efFWvp.png

At their peak times over the last 48 hours, Valve's distribution network was serving just shy of 2 petabits a second worldwide, which is somewhere around 250 gigabytes of data. Per second.

And Steam still shit the bed when Portal 2 and L4D2 were free. A system that is capable of serving a quarter of a Terabyte per second without sneezing can be brought down by traffic from people trying to get something for free.

Such is the power of the internet at large.

So you can imagine the carnage wrought when that power turned and saw a lowly Mac game storefront and smelled blood.

SmokeStacks on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Damn.

Okay then.

sig.gif
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Yeah, I think the game has a pretty inflated reputation due to being one of the few console options. Anyone with access to a PC or hell, a tablet can easily find many more better options.

As someone who got PixelJunk Monsters on the PS3 because I'd heard so many good things about it, I was pretty unimpressed with it too. It just never really clicked with me like other tower defense games. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

On the other hand, PixelJunk Shooter was one of my favorite games of the last few years.

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    @tuxkamen wins this. I've sent it onto you through Steam. Enjoy.
    signature.png

signature.png

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Has anyone here played The Witcher 2 with the unofficial-but-developed-by-CD Projekt-developers-in-their-spare-time Full Combat Rebalance 2 mod? I think I'm finally in the right frame of mind to attack a large RPG and I want to get the most out of it

steam_sig.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Has anyone here played The Witcher 2 with the unofficial-but-developed-by-CD Projekt-developers-in-their-spare-time Full Combat Rebalance 2 mod? I think I'm finally in the right frame of mind to attack a large RPG and I want to get the most out of it

When I was looking into giving Witcher 2 another shot a few months ago, I did look into things like the FCR2 mod, but opinions on it are mixed at best. Some seemed to like it, other people considered it buggy and introduced more problems than it helped. Ultimately, I ended up playing through the game on normal with no mods and I quite enjoyed it. The game is definitely very playable just vanilla.

I knew I was going to do a second playthrough to get the rest of the story at some point, originally I was planning on trying hard mode and playing as primarily a 'caster'-type. Last week I decided to take another peek at the Witcher 2 Nexus and see what was popular and found Complete Equipment Overhaul which led me to Better Combat.

CEO recommends the use of Better Combat, and when I gave my thoughts in the Witcher 2 thread after completing it, one of the things I pointed out was how strange the equipment progression was. CEO seems to directly address that particular concern by re-distributing items and re-balancing the stats on them so that there are actual choices to be made instead of just clear upgrade after clear upgrade.

I haven't started my second playthrough just yet, but I'm definitely planning on giving those two mods a shot for it, along with maybe a couple of texture improvement mods. I don't think I'd really need much else.

Dranyth on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'd like to hear more about that too. I have logged 51 minutes in witcher 2, and feel I owe it to society to play more than that.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Dead State is pretty cool you guys and gals. Turn Based Isometric RPG with zombies and you're holed up in a highschool in Bumfuck Nowheresburg. You can loot and scavenge and steal everything that isn't nailed down. It's very much a demo right now tho, it even says "demo version" in game. Something to keep an eye on tho.

SkutSkut on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

When I was looking into giving Witcher 2 another shot a few months ago, I did look into things like the FCR2 mod, but opinions on it are mixed at best. Some seemed to like it, other people considered it buggy and introduced more problems than it helped. Ultimately, I ended up playing through the game on normal with no mods and I quite enjoyed it. The game is definitely very playable just vanilla.

I knew I was going to do a second playthrough to get the rest of the story at some point, originally I was planning on trying hard mode and playing as primarily a 'caster'-type. Last week I decided to take another peek at the Witcher 2 Nexus and see what was popular and found Complete Equipment Overhaul which lead me to Better Combat.

CEO recommends the use of Better Combat, and when I gave my thoughts in the Witcher 2 thread after completing it, one of the things I pointed out was how strange the equipment progression was. CEO seems to directly address that particular concern by re-distributing items and re-balancing the stats on them so that there are actual choices to be made instead of just clear upgrade after clear upgrade.

I haven't started my second playthrough just yet, but I'm definitely planning on giving those two mods a shot for it, along with maybe a couple of texture improvement mods. I don't think I'd really need much else.

Thanks for the links! From what I've read these appear to be pretty significant changes to the game, so I think I'll stick with vanilla for now. I've made it through the tutorial and the combat, while different than I've played before, seems fine for what it is. Some textures are looking a little rough though, so it's time to boot up Nexus and get some mods going

steam_sig.png
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    For our Christmas fundraiser to restore TychoCelchuuu's threadmaking privileges (and help the kids), I donated to Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. This week I received a nice letter from them! I figured I'd share part of it with y'all, since this applies to all of you at least as much as it does to me.

aXGYd0Z.jpg

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    signature.png

@Al Baron is the winner.

New giftaway incoming!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's actually the thank you note I sent, I'm really glad to be able to make threads again.

I remember this board in the days before YouTube, crushing a website that hosted videos of various 80's cartoons. I mean, we smothered it.

This discussion has been closed.