As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if as a balance druid you're needed to heal, you'll do much better popping HotW and using tranquility. Plus it's a better talent for overall dps

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm not interested in the component of Dream of Cenarius where you have a 20% stronger heal. As far as I'm concerned I would just bullshit-heal myself with Healing Touch for the 25% increase to eclipse. That's not something to sneeze at.

Anyway looks like I was right about Inscription being shit for an income maker. Any glyphs that get priced high will eventually get bombarded by the desperation-brigade, self for a small handful of gold. And it's too chaotic to try and control.

• BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    I have a friend who manages to make a decent profit by "carpet bombing" (his words) the AH with glyphs. How he actually does it is beyond my understanding.

My guild finally downed Garrosh 25hc tonight. We were all laughing our asses off because our ball kiter didn't notice how low the boss was and kept yelling for stuff right up to the point where achievements popped :D
    Feels great to be done with the tier. Bring on the mythic raids.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    The only way to run out of mana as a boomkin is to spam Hurricane/Astral Storm, which is something no one in their right mind would ever do. Boomkin probably has the least mana issues out of any dps spec that uses mana due to having a non-cooldown spell that gives us 50% of our mana back in a maximum of 8 seconds.

The max level talent choices are laid out on a spectrum of "burst" to "sustained" with Nature's Vigil on the burst side, HotW on the sustained side, and Cenarion in the middle. They're all pretty close, surprisingly, and the dps they provide matters more about how comfortable you are with altering your rotation to incorporate them.

Nature's Vigil needs to be popped on cooldown, starting the second you enter your first Lunar Eclipse state. If using Incarnation, then every other activation will have Incarnation activated right after. In all cases every other activation will be followed by Celestial Alignment once you finish your Eclipse, as the duration of the buff is long enough to overlap moving out of Eclipse and the duration of CA.

Dream of Cenarion requires you to make HT into a DPS cooldown essentially. The cast time of HT makes it (I believe) mathematically the worst for dps increase on a Patchwerk-style sit and dps fight but for fights where you get stuck in an Eclipse state due to needing to move around and/or multi-DoT it becomes more powerful. You'll prep every fight with a normal HT cast to get the buff ready, then after your first Eclipse is complete you'll pop Nature's Swiftness + HT. From then on every time you're out of Eclipse you'll cast HT (or use NS+HT if the cooldown's up).

Heart of the Wild is basically "I don't want to change my rotation at all but want to do more DPS." Alternatively it can be useful for very specifc applications such as under-healing a fight and popping it to assist during heavy healing sections, off-tanking when a tank's died and while he's being brought back up, or when soloing old dungeons.

Dream pulls ahead for most Cleave fights, yes, provided you have your HT rotation down. Which is most of the fights now. Heart of the Wild is also your go-to when you're using Force of Nature as it's the only talent that increases their DPS directly (since it boosts your INT and Crit).

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Anyway looks like I was right about Inscription being shit for an income maker. Any glyphs that get priced high will eventually get bombarded by the desperation-brigade, self for a small handful of gold. And it's too chaotic to try and control.
    are the desperation brigade the ones who sell things for their market value instead of desperately praying that some rube will pay 350g for a common glyph?
    Baalor wrote: »
    I have a friend who manages to make a decent profit by "carpet bombing" (his words) the AH with glyphs. How he actually does it is beyond my understanding.
    probably addons. there are ones that all-but-automate mass buying/milling/crafting/ah listing.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I hope he is referring to the crowd that sees something selling high and then they all jump on it, driving the price into a death spiral, that sometimes ends up being less than what the item vendors for if they aren't terribly bright.

In addition to addons, farming up the mats instead of buying them off the AH, can also make carpet bombing feasible since that just means one only has to overcome parchment, AH listing and maybe mailing costs to start increasing the gold count. The downside is that one has to devote time to farming up the mats.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    are the desperation brigade the ones who sell things for their market value instead of desperately praying that some rube will pay 350g for a common glyph?

No, it's the people that undercut things to the point of ruining the market (because if enough of them do it, people will think normal market prices are the 'scammers'). Like a lot of ores go for 2 to 3 gold per piece right? The desperation brigade (or idiot brigade really) will sell those ores for silver per. And then the market freezes because nobody wants to buy until more silver-priced crap shows up again. If enough people see the silver priced stuff, they'll think that's the normal rate just because of a two or three day drop and continually post it, prolonging the freeze on the good in question.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    And then there's @Mugsley who still manages to get people to pay 20g for Tomes of Clear Thought.

Characters
    Aegis wrote: »
    And then there's Mugsley who still manages to get people to pay 20g for Tomes of Clear Thought.

Holy shit. XD

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    @Dibby, I'm with you. If it's elitist to believe people should be semi-considerate than fine, I'm apparently an elitist with a compassionate heart or something. I mean, I only LFR but I still feel like an ass if I don't gem and enchant my gear. And I sure as hell only grab gear appropriate to my class and spec.

I look at it like this: only Timeless Isle is a free giveaway where you show up and just get crap. Every idiot that queues for group content (on any level) and puts no investment into doing their part should be excluded from loot. I almost wish you could down-vote other players and thus could cause them to undergo bans from queued content. I'm sorry, but if you're grabbing a crap agility weapon to run as a DK tank you either have no idea how to play your class or you're just expecting to be carried. I get just as mad at this as I do with players ignoring mechanics even after being singled out and told what to do and when to do it. Its just disrespectful. Every one of these kind of people that shows up in LFR has a nearly exponential chance to waste your time and extend the curve of difficulty for a particular completion. I don't ask for much, just some consideration and participation from people queuing for 'group' content.

Final Note: yes, I even get mad at people who do this crap on simple things like holiday boss battles. Now, these are even more of a joke than LFR to a regular/heroic raider so my threshold is far less. DPS queues for holiday battle as tank, fine. Whatever. Usually not a problem. But if said dps "tank" also starts the fight only to sit in a corner and not actually fight the boss.....you better believe I'm gonna call that dipshit out before I drop group. Doesn't mean a thing, and that's a shame. In LFR the only metric we have to punish lack of consideration or participation is kicking. So I do call for it in a bad enough situation. Even though half the time it won't make a difference and isn't worth the trouble. We have to pick our battles, but indifference to BAD is its own kind of Bad too, don't ya think??

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Did you actually try talking to the guy to tell him Agility doesn't help him as a DK?

Because everyone's been talking about "how Dumb easy it is to get to 90". Nothing really tells you that Strength is the stat you want, in game. And nothing tells you that maybe you should look out of game for more info.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular

No, it's the people that undercut things to the point of ruining the market (because if enough of them do it, people will think normal market prices are the 'scammers'). Like a lot of ores go for 2 to 3 gold per piece right? The desperation brigade (or idiot brigade really) will sell those ores for silver per. And then the market freezes because nobody wants to buy until more silver-priced crap shows up again. If enough people see the silver priced stuff, they'll think that's the normal rate just because of a two or three day drop and continually post it, prolonging the freeze on the good in question.

I would argue that if people are not buying ore for 2 or 3 gold each, and are only willing to pay silver, than that is the normal price.

An item is only worth what someone will pay for it.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah a lot of stuff is habitually listed way over market value. People are counting on buyers to either be caught at a moment of low supply or (in the case of the million dusts listed one at a time) not be willing to sift through pages and pages of results for the reasonably priced stuff.

I mean there might be a few people who are content to wait until the absolute cheapest stuff becomes available, but most people aren't that kind of AH mogul. I know this because if I want to, I can literally make money buying materials on sunday and re-listing them at a markup on tuesday.

NREqxl5.jpg
    @Delmain, I do try talking to said person first--at least in raids where you're going to spend a relatively decent amount of invested time with said person. Honestly dude, I think you're looking at this as short-sightedly as the people grabbing AGI wpns for melee str roles. I'm not one to suggest kicking a tank just because of a single wipe or because I don't like their gear set-up. But if said tank is dying 4 or 5 times in a boss battle and heals arent an issue, well, I'm going to start a dialogue. The tank's reception to said dialogue is going to influence whether I instigate a vote-to-kick or not. I'm all for helping people learn, but this seems much more a case of someone taking advantage of the system. Someone getting the minimum ilvl to queue using the wrong gear and aggressively attacking the people who call him out on it.

But let's be honest, there are larger issues here. You mouse over your core stats and it gives you bonuses based on the stats. If you're a melee class based on str, there's some obvious differences between the str stat and the agi stat when you look at them. Not to mention DK's are hand-held with initial gear through their intros and-Surprise, Surprise-it's all str and stam gear. The game doesn't hit you over the head with this kind of stuff, but there are noticable trends that are completely obvious to an intelligent individual. Not to mention if you care at all about your performance, an incredible amount of sites exist out there to assist you in learning your role. Maybe this last is a little too much to ask of the core player, but all quest rewards in MoP (and CATA too, I believe) are class specific. Not seeing any AGI gear from your quest rewards might not immediately tell you AGI is not for you, but it should start you wondering why you're not being offered that stat. Maybe. Just a little. If you're going to queue for group content, is it really too much for me as a fellow queuer to expect you to be somewhat invested in knowing your toon?

And this particular case is very much a tank issue. As I've said before, I get mad at DPS/Healers who don't contribute too but tanks have a heavier weight on group content. They're also offered tangible rewards for queuing in those roles (exclusive drops, less time in queue). I just think there needs to be balance. I don't suggest kicking people who aren't gemmed or enchanted, although I do get mad I made the effort and they didn't. No big deal. And I'm not the person who suggests kicking all the dps below XXX or even XXK dps after 1 boss wipe. But someone who isn't geared correctly, who got benefits for queuing in his/her role, and who is not listening to advice on how to improve? yes, kick that ignorant/arrogant MF and get a real player. Thank you.

XBOne | LyrKing
    HexDex wrote: »

I would argue that if people are not buying ore for 2 or 3 gold each, and are only willing to pay silver, than that is the normal price.

An item is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Let me break this down a little more clearly.

On my current server, 2 gold per unit is actually pretty standard for a LOT of trade goods. The exceptions are Vanilla cloths and Netherweave, WotLK leather (sells for way cheaper), Cataclysm leather (standard price is 4g), and end-of-expansion herbs (since you can skip the last 25 points of each skill range). The market isn't slow on these goods at those ranges; they sell consistently at that price point. It isn't a sham or bankrupting people either. It's affordable for everyone, provided they sell their excesses on the AH consistently (especially any green quality items that just look good; RP server transmogs m i rite).

There's always people trying to inflate the prices above that point. And I doubt they succeed as I've never seen a type of good get dominated by one person (actually that's a lie; the glyph thing I just talked about is something going on; two people on the server are trying to hike the prices up). The server population is too big for it. The desperate ones will list items in stacks of 1 with like 100 stacks on the AH. People generally understand just flipping the results so you can look at the cheaper bulk.

Despite all this though I've had items I've gathered in bulk not sell on the AH, either at market value or undercutting by like 5%. And what item it is varies from week to week. Sometimes it is just a lack of trade skill leveling by the server, or people have their own mains that can gather for their alts. But once in a while I'll see stacks of a type of item selling for 25s per piece instead of 2g per piece (which is sometimes under the value of vendoring it!). And if enough of that crams onto the AH, it just shits things up. Not for a long time mind you, but it's dumb and frustrating if it happens to something you just so happened to gather a lot of.

My problem with glyphs is that people aren't taking advantage of making things a little bit more profitable. Undercutting someone from 250g to 25g is well and good, but you can get away with 100g and still most likely sell because of the huge price variation. All it takes is everyone joining in. The money exists out there, but the people desperate to sell ruin the flow of that money. Sometimes it's like people have a Vanilla mindset on gold acquisition.

I sat outside Orgrimmar trying to emote to the dueling Horde that I needed a troll rogue. I got faked out on a couple occasions when two acknowledged me and ran into the city but none came. :(

Then one Horde present just made an alt going "what are you asking for?" XD

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I tried selling glyphs at one point in time. Nothing ever moved or sold, I had people undercutting me for stupid amounts (e.g. I'd put something up for 200g, someone would post something for 10g), and the market was flooded. It wasn't as simple as buying out the undercutters; there were too many and too often to make that a viable strategy. There really just wasn't a huge demand. So I gave up on that. Not worth my time or energy.

I don't use my professions as much as I probably should for gold making. I really should, but I'm also lazy and have a decent enough chunk of change anyway (~180k). Maybe if there's something I really want to buy, but for now, eh.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    edited February 2014
    I'm too lazy to do ore shuffling and I'm in no hurry to make money. I typically just use my alt-oholism to sell unique item drops from current content or from old raids to gradually make money. I'm about 40k from the yak reforge mount, but that's the last major purchase I have in game. When I was in the thick of things, I used my alts on the farm to casually farm the in-demand crops like carrots and turnips. Surprisingly I was able to make an easy 500-1000g a day that way, but that was from focusing on those crops I knew would sell and getting about 4-8 stacks a day from all my alts. I don't think my server does that well on the cooking mats anymore but I havent checked (carrots in particular were an easy 250g a stack on average, often spiking to the 350g range). It was just a nice, consistent money maker and it felt more active with little investment then some others (although you did want to rotate crops to maintain prices).

Idk, it burnt me out on the farm but the combination above suited my play style and I was able to make enough gold to afford the sandstone drake and all 8 jeweled panthers (so I could have all five at the end).

Papagander on
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    If someone undercuts you by 75% you should buy them out and relist.

if you can't, or won't, then you're not really trying hard enough at the auction house game.

If you're consistently getting undercut by such a large margin over a period of time, then you're overpricing your thing or there is too much of a supply for it to be worth selling.

The people who are the assholes aren't the ones who undercut by 50% or more-that's just saying "I need fast money and I want someone more dedicated to the auction house to buy out my risk and my profit margin".

It's the chucklefucks who undercut by 1 copper or who buy stacks and split and re-list them into endless pages of singles. Fuck those people forever.

It's the chucklefucks who undercut by 1 copper or who buy stacks and split and re-list them into endless pages of singles. Fuck those people forever.

Yes, these will be the first against the wall.

Characters
    edited February 2014
    Man, I really have to agree with that as well. To the point where I will pay an extra copper or more to reward someone being less of a dick in the AH. I'll pay a few extra gold for a stack at slightly higher cost, because to hell with having to individually purchase 2 or 3 stacks of an item at one unit at a time.

Papagander on
    XBOne | LyrKing
    they really need to get some better search tools in the default AH; most of the issues with it would be solved it it just let you search by unit price rather than buy total

the problem on a lot of servers is still apparently just that there isn't enough supply, so the price of goods doesn't normalize. On my server there are sometimes spikes on glyphs and such, but it's usually not long before somebody comes along and lists something at closer to reasonable price.

NREqxl5.jpg
    and yeah complaining about undercutting is dumb; if you regularly see people listing materials at far below market value you should buy them all up and looking at it as a windfall.

Demand for common materials like ore/gems/enchants etc is relatively inelastic (although it'll decrease as we move toward the end of the expansion), so you can almost always resell radically underpriced stuff at a markup eventually.

NREqxl5.jpg
    also being able to list buy orders would be amazing, but I'm not sure if that'll ever be supported

NREqxl5.jpg
    and yeah complaining about undercutting is dumb; if you regularly see people listing materials at far below market value you should buy them all up and looking at it as a windfall.

Demand for common materials like ore/gems/enchants etc is relatively inelastic (although it'll decrease as we move toward the end of the expansion), so you can almost always resell radically underpriced stuff at a markup eventually.

We have some AH barons in our guild that regularly complain about undercutting (for reference, their regular margins when they list things are 200-300%) on twitter. It makes me laugh every single time.

Characters
  • KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Fuck the people who undercut by a lot. I undercut by exactly 2c. Any significant undercut amounts will ruin the prices in a very short time and then they'll stay down a few days. I hate that, and I hate people who do that.

The problem with glyphs is that they're one-time-use for a character. It's why the logic of them being high priced fits. But when people price them at the cost of a potion, it's like why bother with the trade skill?

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    If only Bliz could make the in-game AH's selling functionality as clean as the mobile armory app's AH tool.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!

Eh, it depends. If the dumbass people list something under the vendor price, that happens to be on the pricier side of AH listing, after one has already listed their goods and they list lots of the item (might be one individual or multiple individuals). It can be really fucking annoying because one may end up taking a hit, since it might be too late to react in a manner to make things profitable for the day/week.

Sure it's pretty laughable if you haven't listed yet and find people that do that and aren't getting screwed. I remember being able to make shit loads of gold off of people listing uncut uncommon gems in Cata well below what I could get cutting and vendoring them. (For those curious I only did this to uncommon gems that I couldn't transmute into more valuable rare gems, that I could cut into something that people were willing to pay gold for). This was before Blizz realized they had fucked up on the pricing and dropped the value of them down.

Still the guys that undercut by a copper on shit that goes for well more than a copper are the most obnoxious; especially, when they could still be making a nice profit by undercutting by something like 5g.

As for AH listing, I always made it a point to have no more than three of the really popular gems on the market at a time. I usually went with two and if they sold while I was near the AH, during peak hours, I'd throw a few more up. Not sure how applicable that for other professions. I know with BS, tailoring, LW, most engineering stuff and some inscription stuff, it's best to stick with one item max per what one can craft. Gathering and old world stuff, one can list a bit more, but even then I'd limit how much I have up on the market. This makes sure that what you list is likely to sell and if all of it doesn't, it limits how much you out on AH listing costs.

I wish the AH was just united across all realms. But only if it had a button to not display 1-size item stacks.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Auctionator is your friend. I even managed to convince my mother in law to use it.
    1d638e6bba70ad1212732e454aa2648e.JPG

Yeah, they really should just merge the AH with all realms. I give zero fucks doing so will prevent someone from being able to corner the market and I think GC and the devs that felt that someone should be able to corner the market, were fucking wrong. It would at least solve the valid complaint about cross realm zones, where the lower pop don't benefit from the AH of the higher pop servers, whose members they are competing with for node and mob spawns.

Keemossi wrote: »
    Fuck the people who undercut by a lot. I undercut by exactly 2c. Any significant undercut amounts will ruin the prices in a very short time and then they'll stay down a few days. I hate that, and I hate people who do that.

So lets review.

You can't be bothered to buy out the people who clearly want a normal seller to buy them out and relist them, so you're annoyed because this causes the normal price to drop because you care about the "normal price"

...but not enough to wait in line behind the other people supporting that normal price, whom you undercut by a teeny tiny amount so they can't even buy you out and relist you without actually losing money.

?

That about sum it up?

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    ...but not enough to wait in line behind the other people supporting that normal price, whom you undercut by a teeny tiny amount so they can't even buy you out and relist you without actually losing money.

Why play fair and "wait your turn?" That's terrible strategy.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!

Why play fair and "wait your turn?" That's terrible strategy.

Indeed.

But why play dirty and then whine about other people playing a slightly different color of dirt than you and expect sympathy?

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm crazy here, but I actually support undercutting by 1c. Why? Because it keeps the market value stable. Here's an example.

Let's say Supreme Lord Dibby III Esquire puts up a Hamburger Phone for 1000g.
    Then, Joeblow comes along and lists a Hamburger Phone for 800g.
    Then, Dave McChucklefuck lists a Hamburger Phone for 600g.
    And then someone else lists one for 500g.

With only 3 undercuts, the market value for said item has dropped 50%. If instead it was just 1c undercuts, the price for Hamburger Phones would be 999g, 99s, 97c. Everyone wins!

And I mean, sure, you could just buy out the lower priced Hamburger Phones and relist them for 1000g. But maybe the demand for Hamburger Phones is low on your server. Maybe they just won't move. In which case, you just spent 1900 gold buying out these other auctions only to have no payoff.

It's a hypothetical example, sure, but it's happened to me all too often. My server in particular is really weird when it comes to the AH, so... I dunno.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Dibby wrote: »
    Maybe I'm crazy here, but I actually support undercutting by 1c. Why? Because it keeps the market value stable. Here's an example.

With only 3 undercuts, the market value for said item has dropped 50%. If instead it was just 1c undercuts, the price for Hamburger Phones would be 999g, 99s, 97c. Everyone wins!

And I mean, sure, you could just buy out the lower priced Hamburger Phones and relist them for 1000g. But maybe the demand for Hamburger Phones is low on your server. Maybe they just won't move. In which case, you just spent 1900 gold buying out these other auctions only to have no payoff.

It's a hypothetical example, sure, but it's happened to me all too often. My server in particular is really weird when it comes to the AH, so... I dunno.

But if the Hamburger Phones aren't selling, it makes much more sense to undercut by a decent amount instead of 1c. Maybe 999,99,97 is just too much for Hamburger Phones and everyone knows it. Oh, a Hamburger Phone for 799? Well that's much more reasonable.

edit: Basically, instead of the situation being that the undercutters are somehow ripping off the most expensive seller, the situation is instead that the most expensive seller is trying to rip off potential buyers. Undercutting by 1c isn't meaningful, so that guy is also trying to rip off the buyers while inconveniencing the guy who listed first.

reVerse on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Auctionator is your friend. I even managed to convince my mother in law to use it.
    1d638e6bba70ad1212732e454aa2648e.JPG
    In which ways is it better than auctioneer?

steam_sig.png
  • KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    What's this shit about playing dirty? Like, what the fuck.

There's literally no damn difference between relist undercutting by 1c and by 5g, except the latter screws over everybody selling. And for some stupid fucking reason the former is apparently playing dirty? I don't get people, that shit's stupid.

I buy out people when stuff sells for stupid cheap, of course. I see stuff listed for obviously sellout prices, and buy it out if I can before everybody undercuts that. That works out. It sucks but whatever.

What I don't get is somebody constantly posting, starting from reasonably high prices (like, sells a lot but with good margin) and undercutting by 1-10g amounts, constantly. Why not use few coppers instead?

Dibby wrote: »

This is actually how markets work.

The bottom price floor of the item is its actual value.

People get upset with undercutting because it interferes with artificially high prices and they prefer an anti-competitive non-market sales arena.

This discussion has been closed.