As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX East 2014 International Food Exchange (The Taste Just Keeps You Comin' Back)

• lunestralunestra The Alchemist LowellRegistered User regular
    I am willing to try most things as long as they are not coffee based.

However I can get American foods, as well as Korean candies (there is a Korean grocery store in Burlington) also Chinatown in Boston has great shops. (I will be stocking up there anyway) I also bake so if anyone knows of any baked recipes they would like made let me know :) Any request?

• sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    smarties are always a crowd pleaser

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    I can bring bueno whites I brought some last year but missed the meet up. How many you looking at?

I'd like at least 3 or 4, but a half dozen stored away in my pantry would be heaven. :3 How much do they go for?

UyhWici.png
  • Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I can bring some snacks from Italy but as an American I would prefer to get something from somewhere else. Let me know.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Got any unique snacks over there in Italy? I'm curious what their chips/salty snacks are like. Maybe their chocolate, too. What do you like?

Yeah. Their crisps are ok. I'm a gummy, and jelly bean man.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    any one coming from Arizona? i will gladly buy a box or 2 of catus candy

• VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    Coming in from Maui, Hawaii! Any requests?

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Is there anyone coming from Hawaii??

Because Vodka

808island.jpg
    Versuserik wrote: »

@Versuserik you would make @SmallLady the happiest girl ever if you filled her request.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Ah, I knew I had forgotten something! The other New England treat I highly suggest and brought for some last year was maple candies. There are hard candies and (my favorite), the sugar candies. Soft and granular and yum. Now I even want some for myself...

UyhWici.png
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    Got any unique snacks over there in Italy? I'm curious what their chips/salty snacks are like. Maybe their chocolate, too. What do you like?

If you're into licorice, nobody does it better than the Italians.

edited February 2014
    Yeah whenever we are in Venice we swing by a few sweety shops, and snag a bag full of all the different flavors. I doubt it would travel well though. None of it is every packaged. They sell it in piles like at a bakery.

Jake Capps on
    X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular

Just out of interest for now, have u ever heard of Red Coconut Ball Candy?
    1305035044031.jpg

They any good?

• vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Yeah. Their crisps are ok. I'm a gummy, and jelly bean man.

Some crisps sound delightful. :D I'd say Japan has some pretty boss gummies. But do you like the funky Jelly Belly stuff and do you have access to it over there?

Also, not a fan of licorice. xD

vicechan on
    BUBBApax wrote: »

Just out of interest for now, have u ever heard of Red Coconut Ball Candy?
    1305035044031.jpg

They any good?

Not so much... There are FAR better coconut candies available...

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    Decius wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Is there anyone coming from Hawaii??

Because Vodka

808island.jpg

@Versuserik you would make @SmallLady the happiest girl ever if you filled her request.

PM sent to @SmallLady to work out the details!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    I'm gunna bring some local coconut candy to share with you guys! I love the stuff!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
  • teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Versuserik, if you actually have room after fulfilling SmallLady's order, I would love to talk to you about a bottle of Maui dark rum.

haleakaladistillers.com/mediac/400_0/media/5aab44bbc747b14ffff83b5ffffe417.jpg

teriwyn wrote: »
    Versuserik, if you actually have room after fulfilling SmallLady's order, I would love to talk to you about a bottle of Maui dark rum.

I'll look for this also.

It's too funny- I've been clean and sober for over 24 years-and the only thing people have asked me for is booze! Don't get me wrong- I have zero problems with bringing a few bottles with me. I just think it's ironic!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    teriwyn wrote: »

I'll look for this also.

It's too funny- I've been clean and sober for over 24 years-and the only thing people have asked me for is booze! Don't get me wrong- I have zero problems with bringing a few bottles with me. I just think it's ironic!

Weren't you the bloke I had bring me some pineapples to Prime? That wasn't booze. Although one of the pineapples was bad :(. Stupid airport kiosks.

I am the pineapple bloke! I was referring specifically about East requests. Sorry again about the crappy pineapple :\

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    SO IS THE BOOZE THREAD HAPPENING OR CAN W USE THIS THREAD FOR THAT, IM LOOKING FOR A FEW KEY THINGS....crap wrote it all in caps by mistake but im too lazy to rewrite it

I am the pineapple bloke! I was referring specifically about East requests. Sorry again about the crappy pineapple :\

I ain't mad at you - just the vendor at OGG :). The other 2 were dead delicious, though.

• MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Hi All!

I was able to attend last year and it was great! I will again be going to the candy store before I drive up. Here is the website. http://www.blackrivercandyshoppe.com/candybars.asp. If there is anything you want from there/northern NJ just let me know and I will pick it up! They have a wide variety of hard to find Candy bars and other items.

MelSny on
    signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    SO IS THE BOOZE THREAD HAPPENING OR CAN W USE THIS THREAD FOR THAT, IM LOOKING FOR A FEW KEY THINGS....crap wrote it all in caps by mistake but im too lazy to rewrite it

People have been using this for booze of sorts, but i'm not sure there will be a big booze exchange like what was planned last year without an easy to access hotel room to do all the backroom trading in. If someone has a room at the westin or seaport and wants to offer up a time/place, we can try this in a manner similar to the lower key one last year. Otherwise its specific things like ordering from Lexi and the hawaiian vodka going on.

on the food front, i'm bringing a bag of Ketchup doritos since I managed to locate a bag last night and will hold onto them for the month. They're not amazing, but, they're Canadian and they're limited run, so I figured they were good to share.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
    the main thing im looking for is 8 bit beerhttp://www.tallgrassbeer.com/beers/8-bit they have a map showing what states you can get it in. i live in ma so i cant find it so if any one is coming from one of the states with it let me know i'de like 1 or 2

• PhoBaoBoaPhoBaoBoa Squishy NYCRegistered User regular
    If there's anything from the great City of New York I can bring, let me know. I find the most random stuff around the city and would happily fill any requests!

If anyone would have access to interestingly flavored bonbons of the eiffel (or other) variety that would be great! Love lychee, taro and the like. Also esoteric packaged ramen would be cool!

pPEuM8J.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    PhoBaoBoa wrote: »
    If anyone would have access to interestingly flavored bonbons of the eiffel (or other) variety that would be great! Love lychee, taro and the like. Also esoteric packaged ramen would be cool!

I got you covered on both. Ever had Indo Mie Indonesian ramen? It comes with like 5 different season packets.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.

I got you covered on both. Ever had Indo Mie Indonesian ramen? It comes with like 5 different season packets.

Well, you're fantastic! I've never even heard of that Ramen before! Is there anything I can hunt down for you? :D

pPEuM8J.png
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Can I be put on the list for the ramen as well? Also if anyone can bring weird flavored soft drinks or juices it would be greatly appreciated.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
    edited February 2014
    Done. Ramen + Dry Soda (Cucumber, Juniper, Rhubarb, Vanilla) / Ginger Beer / Ramune (not weird flavors but 10pt WIN for packaging) + crazy bonbons and Asian gummies.

BTW, Wacky ramen makes me soooo happy. I will make you proud.
    Is there anything I can hunt down for you? :D

How would a Cronut hold up?

LexiconGrrl on
    Where'd you get the crazy ramen from? I should check local Asian markets, but being in the middle of cowboy country and not on the west coast I don't like my chances.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Where'd you get the crazy ramen from?

Being in a Pacific Rim city with heavy Asian influences makes our Asian mega-supermarkets the best. I like the selection at the HT Market at Oak Tree, where there is one entire whole aisle dedicated to ramen.

Done. Ramen + Dry Soda (Cucumber, Juniper, Rhubarb, Vanilla) / Ginger Beer / Ramune (not weird flavors but 10pt WIN for packaging) + crazy bonbons and Asian gummies.

BTW, Wacky ramen makes me soooo happy. I will make you proud.

You are sooo awesome! What can I get for you?

steam_sig.png
    xenard wrote: »
    What can I get for you?

Dunno ... The DC stuff I can't get here is pretty much just restaurant food.

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    Last year I was able to work out something with another person for liquor. But as far as food goes, do people show up with a bunch of food to trade/sell? Or does everything have to be hashed out before PAX? The reason I'm asking if because I would love to bring stuff ( I'm from Mass.) but have no idea what I would want from others.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
    It can go both ways (phrasing) but if things work out like last year we did co-opt a table at the meeting place where everyone set up their wares and swapped.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    xenard wrote: »
    What can I get for you?

Dunno ... The DC stuff I can't get here is pretty much just restaurant food.

Yeah we don't have much here but I do live by a specialty store that sells snacks and drinks from other countries

steam_sig.png
    I got all motivated by this thread and did a first pass at the HT Market for ramen and snacks. It's a great market because it's got lots of products from SE Asia in addition to Japan and China, and it's independently owned so they get some really unusual products. There's a lot of really wild stuff in the snack aisle ('fruity' flavored beef jerky? Dried fish with almond snack? etc...)

But that's not what this post is about. It's about noodles. About 2 dozen so far, with far-flung flavors and styles.

RAMEN, REPRESENT!
    - Hao Hao Vegetarian Flavor (made with Japanese Technology!)
    - Mi Sedaap Mi Goreng Perisa Asli (There's a picture of an onion on it with the note "5X!" 5 onions flavor? I dunno.)
    - Nissin Curry Ramen (one of my personal faves. It's yellow.)
    - A wide selection of Indo Mie Indonesian Ramen: "Special Chicken Flavor", "Onion Chicken Flavor", "Sate Flavor", etc... (THESE ARE BEST!!)
    - Lucky Me! Special Pancit. (Philipino Ramen!? Stop the Earth!)
    - Wai Wai Tom Yum Shrimp Flavor, Very Hot (Yes, it says "Very Hot." It's up to you to chance what that means.)
    - Assorted instant Vietnamese Pho
    - Chinese Crab Ramen (Got Crab?)
    - MAMA Duck Noodles (What about her baby ducks!?. It's a cruel world.)
    - MAMA Artificial Tom Yum Pork Flavor (Many packs include the word 'artificial'. As if anything else was a foregone conclusion.)
    - Hao Hao Sate Onion Flavor
    - Mi Sedap SUPREME Chicken Onion Flavor (I have no idea what's supreme about it.)

Report on gummies and snacks next time!

@Lexicongrrl you da best! I would say Kronuts will last the trip up on Thursday for PPD and pokecrawl, but I'm not sure how much longer. I'll experiment and still bring a bunch along for the exchange!

pPEuM8J.png
This discussion has been closed.